• Published 3rd Jul 2013
  • 725 Views, 54 Comments

Life's Last Breath - jtc09999



Equestria is coming to an end as an infection sweeps the land. Who will survive?

  • ...
5
 54
 725

Prologue: Genesis

“Hey Dash! Wait up!” Pinkie shouted as she trotted towards Rainbow Dash. “Mind if I join you for lunch?” The pink pony asked with a grin as wide as the earth.

“Sure!” Rainbow replied with a smile. “Where you want to eat?” Pinkie shrugged.

“It doesn’t matter to me. I’m not a picky mare,” she replied non-chalantly. Rainbow eventually lead them to the mare Inn, a small restaurant that had been open since ponyville had been founded. They got their seats, and ordered their food.
“Hey Dashie, have you heard about the recent riots around Equestria?” Pinkie Pie asked the Cyan Pegasus with a tone of worry in her voice. Rainbow Dash looked at her.

“Yea, I did. They said the ponies went insane; tore others to pieces. I also heard the princess is speaking to Mayor Mare about it because the riots are getting closer.” She ended as she sipped on her sparkling water. “I wouldn’t worry about it.”

The pink mare looked around nervously. “What if the riots DO come to ponyville? What do we do then?” Rainbow scoffed.

“Even if they did, we would just go find somepony to shelter us until the riots are done. You ARE the friendliest pony here. You know EVERYPONY!” She emphasized the last word by waving her hoof up in the air.

“You’re probably right, Dashie. But there was another rumor that some virus caused this. A type of infection. I find it hard to believe, but this could be real!”

“Seriously Pinkie Pie? Zombies?” The Pegasus began laughing. After she calmed down, she returned to her conversation. “Twilight was rambling on and being all science-y with this, but even with me toning her out, I got this: There are no such things as zombies.” Right as that statement was finished, the ponies’ got their lunch. Pinkie got a simple salad, while Rainbow got a fruit salad. “Even if zombies WERE real,” Rainbow started as she swallowed a bite, “It would be easy to take care of. They are slow and stupid.”

Pinkie bit her lip. “I hope your right Dash. It wou-“Pinkie stopped talking. “Hey, is that Gilda?” They both looked at the door, and saw a familiar looking griffon. There was something strange about her though. She walked with a limp, and looked to be unaware of her surroundings.

“What’s she doing?” Rainbow questioned. She had a hint of worry in her voice, but Pinkie couldn't detect it. They watched as the griffon walked up to a table of two female ponies chatting away.

“Can we help you?” One of them asked. Gilda grabbed the pony with her claw, and bit her in the neck, tearing off a bit of flesh. The pony screamed as she struggled to get free.

“WHAT THE HAY?!” Pinkie shouted. The pony fell to the floor, and tried to crawl away, but the griffon just sat atop of her and stuck her claw in her stomach, pulling out her intestines and eating them. Rainbow vomited on the ground as Pinkie stood up.
“Rainbow, we have to leave!” She almost screamed. The ill pony simply nodded her head as they ran past Gilda. The pony that Gilda had killed had suddenly come to life, and sunk her teeth into Pinkie’s leg.
“AHHHH!” She cried as she fell to the ground. Rainbow Dash turned around, and saw Pinkie on the ground, injured.

“I’m coming!” She said as she galloped to her hurt friend. After helping Pinkie up, they hurried out of the restaurant.
”Oh my gosh, what is happening?!?!” Rainbow cried as she looked around the street. It was chaos: Ponies eating others, those crying out for help. Many of those she recognized. Once friends, who were now monsters killing everypony. She ran past all those innocent ponies that were dying in order to help her friend. Pinkie suddenly lost all strength, and collapsed to the ground.

“PINKIE!” Rainbow cried out as she knelt next to her friend. “Come on girl, you can do this!” As soon as she lifted Pinkie’s head up, she dropped it. Her face was now a wreck; blood pouring out her mouth and nose. Pinkie tripped Rainbow, and climbed on top of her. She let out a growl, and went to bite her friend, but Rainbow held her back. “PINKIE, STOP!” She cried as her used to be friend was trying to kill her. She looked around, and saw a small knife a few inches away from her. Rainbow, reaching out with her mouth, tried to grab the knife, but it was too far away. She risked getting bit, and used a hoof to move the knife towards her. She grabbed it in her mouth, and jammed it into Pinkie’s eye. She fell onto Rainbow’s body, blood spurting out of the wound and onto the scarred pony. Rainbow Dash pushed her dead friend off of her, and ran off, broken that she had just killed her bubbly friend.

She chose to run into the everfree forest. It wasn't the safest place to be, but it was heck of alot safer than out in the streets of ponyville. Rainbow ran until she couldn't run anymore, and plopped down against a tree. "W-what's happening?" She asked out loud. There was no one around to answer, so she didn't expect one to be given. "Why did Pinkie attack me? Was she a-" Her voice stopped, afraid of what might have happened. "No! I'm stupid of thinking she was a zombie! But what was with Gilda...?" The Cyan pegasus looked up into the sky, and saw pegasi trying to escape, only to be stopped by other pegasi who had lost their minds. Rainbow Dash sighed.

"I don't know what's going on, but all i can do is pray Celestia will do something about this. If not, this will be Life's Last Breath."