• Published 3rd Jul 2013
  • 726 Views, 54 Comments

Life's Last Breath - jtc09999



Equestria is coming to an end as an infection sweeps the land. Who will survive?

  • ...
5
 54
 726

Chapter 1: Goodbye

-20 YEARS LATER-

“Look through the scope, and adjust the zoom. When you have your target in your sights, put your hoof in the grip and pull the trigger.” Rainbow commanded. She looked at Scootaloo, who she was teaching to use a M21 Sniper. Scootaloo looked down the sights and aimed at the bottle Rainbow had set up for her to shoot. She fire, and the glass bottle exploded into shards.

“I did it!” She exclaimed. Rainbow Dash gave the filly a noogie.

“Good job, kid. We’ll someday be able to move you to hoofers.” The young warrior smiled as she walked with Rainbow back to camp.

"Oh! I almost forgot." Rainbow excalimed as she turned around to face Scootaloo. "Only shoot LIVING ponies as a last resort, only if they want to hurt you, ok?" Scoots nodded. Rainbow turned back around, and continued her walk.

“Oh my gosh! I’m getting THE Rainbow Dash to teach me how to fire a gun!” Scootaloo felt like she was about to explode inside. “Maybe I can get her to teach me a few more!” She looked around, and realized she was back in camp.

“We’re back, everypony!” Rainbow shouted as she looked around the camp. She saw Rarity run out of a tent.

“Shhh! Do you want to attract THEM?!” She asked frantically.

“We cleared out the infected long ago, we’re fine!” The Pegasus responded as she sat in a chair. Relax, girl.”

“Oh! Well, EXCUSE me for not being calm because of the HAVOC in Equestria!” Rarity responded, her voice barely above a whisper. “And I’m out of shampoo.” She whined as she walked back into her tent.

“Is she always like that?” Scootaloo whispered to Rainbow. She simply nodded her head, and laid her head back. The filly walked into her own tent she shared with Rainbow, and sat down.

“I wonder what gun I could try next? Maybe a grenade launcher! Or a machine gun!” The orange Pegasus gasped. “Or maybe a rocket launcher!” She imitated herself holding one of those gigantic things, and firing it at hordes of the hoofers. She was unaware when Rainbow entered the tent as well.

“Uh, what are you doing?” Scootaloo whipped around, embarrassed.

“Oh, nothing!” She said as she smiled.

“Ok then.” Rainbow grabbed a long, metal object from the side of the tent, and put it on like a backpack. “And you’re not ready for those strong weapons just yet.” She winked as she trotted out of the tent and over to Twilight’s tent.

“So Twi, you gonna teach me how this thing works?” She said as she walked into the tent.

“In a minute, Rainbow. I’m busy.” The unicorn simply stated. “Just give me a few minutes and I’ll be with you.” While she waited, Rainbow Dash looked around Twilight’s tent and inspected all of her “Specimens”. Because of the outbreak, she used as an opportunity to inspect the pony body. She had various bones of ponies hanging around her tent. Rainbow did her best to name them all, but she always fell asleep in biology. Hell, she fell asleep in ALL her classes.

“So, what do you need Rainbow?” Twilight asked her.

“How does this thing work?” She looked at the metallic item on her back.”

“Ah! Well, it’s quite simple Rainbow.” She levitated a small M9 pistol and set it on the table. “Now, if you inspect the grappler, as I call it, on your back, you see that it is made up of all metal.

” The “Grappler”, as Twilight called it, was a metallic object that ponies used to hold guns. The base was two pieces of curved metal, allowing anypony to put it on like a backpack, and strap it on with the straps at the ends of each metal piece. From the left or right side, depending on which hoof is dominate, two metal rods stuck out, eventually forming into one, and then holding up a small rectangle of metal sticks.

Twilight placed the butt of the handgun in the metal sticks, and twisted a small knob next to one of the sticks, making the metal sticks come together and grasp the metal sticks, holding the handgun in place.
“As you can see, the metal has become small enough to hold the gun in place. All you need to do now is wrap your wing around the gun, place the tip of your wing into the compartment where the trigger is held, and pull the trigger.” She beamed at her invention. “This one I thought of myself.”

“Ingenious, yet simple. Rainbow commented.” She was about to speak, when Spike came bursting into the tent.
“Back, Twilight!” He said as he took off his backpack. “I Managed to gather a few rounds of ammo for a shotgun, nothing else.”

“Thanks Spike!” Twilight said as she magically moved the shells into a container. She noticed something was wrong, and took a step forward. “Everything ok?”

Spike looked at her, and hung his head down. He stuck out his arm, showing a bite mark. The Mares gasped.

“Oh no….” Twilight said sorrowfully. “That can’t be!” Rainbow put a hoof on her shoulder. “I’m sorry, Twilight, it’s true.”

“No! Maybe he won’t turn! He might be immune! The infection-“ She was cut off by Spike’s hand on her mouth.
“Twilight, its true. I’ll turn soon.”

--------------

Twilight hugged Spike for the final time. “I love you, Spike. Don’t ever forget that.” She began to cry as the memories of Spike and her flooded her mind. Applejack and Fluttershy came to comfort her. Rarity came and kissed him on the cheek.

“Bye, my little spikey-wikey.” Tears formed in her eyes, but she turned away. Spike embraced her, and his emotions got the best of him. After a tight embrace with Rarity, he walked over to Rainbow.
“I’m ready.” She nodded her head, and they walked away from camp.

When Rainbow felt she was far enough away, she told Spike to sit against a tree. He obeyed, and the Pegasus wrapped her wing around the M9 pistol which the gripper was still holding. She looked at him, and thought about everything that had happened.

A single tear rolled down her check. “Goodbye, Spike.” She said softly. Her wing tightened, and she pulled the trigger.