• Published 12th Feb 2012
  • 38,560 Views, 1,861 Comments

So, You've Grown Wings - Steel Resolve



The mane six woke up a little different one morning. Madness ensues.

  • ...
55
 1,861
 38,560

On the way to Destruction

"Dash, Cann and I need to discuss this at length, could you go find the rest of the girls? We've got trouble brewing and everypony will need to know this."

After all the girls were assembled, they waited patiently for the two researchers to finish getting their "presentation" ready. Rainbow Dash looked back and forth at the two ponies who seemed to be speaking Equestrian but otherwise making not a lick of sense. They kept excitedly pointing at charts and graphs and erasing chalk from each other's equations only to replace them with yet more numbers or... letters for some reason. Pinkie Pie stepped up and insisted she be allowed to handle any and all drawings. She merrily hummed while she drew out pictures of alicorns. Rarity and Fluttershy simply sat and chatted until everypony was finished with whatever they were doing. Applejack looked annoyed at all the fancy math. Finally Cann and Twilight calmed down and looked over the room. Dash spoke up finally, her eyes spinning. "Guys would somepony care to fill us in?"

Twilight looked apologetic. "Professor, would you care to do the honors?"

"Alright, let me explain..." He looked over the charts and graphs and scribbled notes. "No, there is too much, let me sum up."

He lifted a pointer with his magic and pointed to various pictures as he went. "The Elements of Harmony, seen here-" He pointed to six circles with the words "Kindness" "Loyalty" "Generosity" "Honesty" "Laughter" and "Magic" written underneath them. "-were originally formed by Celestia and Luna during the war with Discord. During this war each of the six original living elements, seen here-” He pointed in turn to six crudely drawn alicorns with the names “Shimmer” “Dawn” “Tornado” “Blueberry” “Lokey” and “Sapphire” “-were corrupted by Discord and turned against the others, until finally Celestia and Luna fought a losing battle against their six friends and the god of chaos himself. Luna and Celestia were finally able to restore each of their friends to their senses, using the memory spell rediscovered by Twilight during the Discord's escape. The six came to the conclusion that, while they were certainly powerful enough to counter Discord, individually they were corruptible. The war would never end as things stood, and they truly loved their little ponies enough to make any sacrifice."

Applejack raised a hoof. “Prof, we appreciate the recap an all but how does that relate to the elements going all wonky?”

Pinkie Pie leaned into A.J. “This is recap for the audience, a few of them have probably forgotten most of these details.”

“Yeah? Well I done heard all of this already, it’s boring.”

“The audience hasn’t heard most of it.”

“Yeah, well who’s fault was that? You done took the whole lot of em off to watch you wake up Dash.”

“Hehe yeah, that was funny!”

“In a moment Applejack, to really know what went wrong you need to know what they really are to begin with.”

Here he pointed to a crudely drawn Alicorn, with the name "Dawn" written below. "The element of magic found a solution, and it was one Celestia and Luna vehemently refused to continence. He developed a ritual which would bind the life, essence, and power of an alicorn into a physical object, the object would be all but impervious to Discord's influence. Each of the six begged Celestia and Luna to perform the ritual, it took the element of Kindness-" Here he pointed to a picture of another alicorn named "Shimmer". "-to convince them at last, and with a heavy heart they bound each of their friends into an enchanted stone. Using the power of the elements, they turned Discord to stone."

He gestured to Twilight who took up the pointer and continued. "That brings us to the most recent war with Discord. Girls, he touched the elements. Much like he was able to corrupt us, by handling the elements he was able to alter the magic that bound them. When we blasted him, contact of the magic of the elements with chaos magic further altered them. He apparently forced out the living embodiments of the elements. The magic and essence of each was left behind, but without the life-force the element was disrupted, so the power transferred from the element to each of us. Each of your stories have the event happening around the same time in the morning, Applejack was up early enough it actually happened while she was awake. For the rest of us the change happened in our sleep."

She gestured to a third alicorn "Tornado". "Dash's encounter with Tornado told me two things. One: the princesses have recovered their physical form. Two: from her coat color and demeanor, it seems the six have been corrupted again."

Dash nodded. “She was a real piece of work, cocky as all hay. What kind of pony brags that much?”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Yes Rainbow, none of us have seen any of our friends let a little ability go to their heads.” Dash blushed at this.

Twilight pointed to a picture of Discord, he had a silly smile on his face. "Finally, we have one more problem, the elements are the only thing keeping Discord trapped in stone. So long as the elements remain as they are, his prison will slowly weaken." Everypony gasped at this.

Fluttershy’s eyes seemed to blaze. “That... big... dumb … MEANIE!” Rarity soothed her.

"So that's where we stand girls, the living essence of each of our elements is out there now, plotting to overthrow our two princesses. To make matters worse, their very presence may lead to the release of Discord, it will be the war of chaos all over again, but this time even worse."

Applejack stood up. "Ah reckon it's real simple how to fix this, we round 'em up and make 'em see reason. If they wanna tussle why, we'll oblige 'em."

Dash had looked a little lost up till now, but immediately reacted to this. "Yeah! We'll kick their flanks all over the sky!"

Rarity looked a little shocked, but resolutely nodded. "Definitely darlings, nopony deserves to be controlled the way we were, I almost wish Discord would escape so I could teach him a lesson personally!"

Fluttershy spoke up. "Those poor ponies, we have to help them, that meanie shouldn’t be allowed to hurt anypony ever again!"

Pinkie bounced excitedly. "Oh this is gonna be so much fun! Lemme get my cupcake cannon!"

Twilight grinned, happy all her friends were willing to give it their all. "Okay everypony, gather close, we're going to teleport to the princesses to warn them and offer to help!"

There was a blinding light as Twilight mass-teleported the six of them to the throne room. Cann looked at the charred circle on the floor. “They just rushed off to what could be certain doom... and they left me behind...” Spike nodded. “They always seem to do that, it’s like we’re not even here to them at times. Come on man, I made some tea.”

Twilight looked around, the sun throne was empty, the entire room was deserted. She panicked, even when Celestia was not holding court there were guards, maids, courtiers... where was everypony?

"Girls, something is wrong, wait here a moment." Twilight teleported to the moon throne, the princesses’ bedrooms, their personal baths. Every place she checked not only contained no princess, but no sign of anypony else.

She teleported back to the throne room, gasping a bit: even an alicorn could get winded from rapid-fire transports, it seemed. "Gone, everypony is gone! The whole palace is empty!"

Rarity looked horrified. "What do we do now?"

Fluttershy, in a small voice. "Panic?"

A chuckling came from all directions at once. Pinkie Pie bristled at it. Twilight facehoofed. “We’re too late...”

Pinkie looked at Rarity. “”I almost wish Discord would escape...” You just had to say it didn’t you?” Rarity looked abashed and gulped.

Discord's rich sonorous voice echoed through the chamber. "Oh my, this is priceless! I'm terribly sorry my dear Twilight, but your princesses are in another castle!"