• Published 12th Feb 2012
  • 38,556 Views, 1,861 Comments

So, You've Grown Wings - Steel Resolve



The mane six woke up a little different one morning. Madness ensues.

  • ...
55
 1,861
 38,556

Generosity and Avarice

"Well, this has grown dull. Let's mix it up a bit, shall we everypony? I'll pick the next opponent, and you can pick the location." Discord clapped his hands and giggled like a schoolgirl.

"Rarity, I choose you. You have the night to prepare and think about the location you wish. Until next time!"

-------------------------------------------------

Rarity spun a few gemstones in the air with her magic, thinking. She kept coming back to the same conclusion time and again. She let the gemstones fall and banged her head upon the table. Sapphire... who or what is your Tom? What did you come to covet that was used against you? It was never simple with Discord, she almost longed for a simple foe like Nightmare. At least Nightmare had made sense. She simply wanted to control the skies to bring about eternal night. Foolish? Certainly! Everypony would have died from starvation eventually because of lack of food! She was no farmer like Applejack, but even she knew plants needed sunlight! However it was a plan you could understand, and she was a foe you could beat by standing with your friends and shouting you would not go gently into her night! Discord twisted you all around, made you give into your weakest and most humiliating flaws. Losing to him meant more than just losing your life, you lost the essence of what you most valued about yourself. Worse, you threw everything good about yourself away because of a delusion. An ideal... something you dreamed about... but ideals never held up in reality. You dreamed of Him... but you ended up with a (bastard) Blueblood.

Discord had seen that flaw in her, the avarice she had held for... things, for station, for ponies of importance. She tried so hard to be more... more than her parents, more than the town she resided in. It had always been the bane of her life. She genuinely cared for her friends, her family, but at the same time she wanted... and it wasn't generous to want for yourself.

Only her craft could help her find a balance between her flaws, and her more altruistic wishes to better the world. She created dresses for everypony, in every station of life. For those who could not afford to pay, she took but a pittance, or nothing at all in some cases. Those in higher stations paid for the status of wearing her gowns; which was far in excess of the actual cost of upkeep for her shop and the material costs of the gowns. So, the scales were balanced, always it came back to balance.

"I am so pathetic! How do I help somepony when I can barely help myself? I was given a gift, a gift of power, of flight, and I used it to make time in my social calender! To make more outfits for people who don't understand beauty in the slightest! Did you despair like this Sapphire? Were you flawed as I am?" She burst into tears.

Much could be told from a name and a cutie mark, perhaps that was the key to understanding this pony. Rarity, a singular event or object. Her cutie mark, three diamonds. Diamonds were the hardest gem on the planet, but they were formed from coal, one of the dirtiest and most humble minerals. Only time and pressure turned coal into a diamond. Celestia knew she placed enough pressure on herself by choice...

Sapphire, with a cutie mark of her namesake. A blue gem of immense beauty. The blue was from an impurity... a flaw made it beautiful. Yes, you were flawed weren't you? Your namesake spoke volumes. Perhaps I can help you.

Now, how to keep you from killing me until then?

-------------------------------------------------

"Rise and shine everypony!" Discord appeared in the library in a flash. "Have you chosen your location Dame Rarity?"

"Yes, the rocky valley area just outside Ponyville, I hunt gemstones there. It's deserted, mostly anyway. The only inhabitants live deep underground."

In a flash, everypony found themselves in the rocky valleys of the Diamond Dog tribes. Discord set himself up on a lawn chair and sat casually sipping a chilled drink under an umbrella. Nightmare sat upon a throne she had made from shadows and dark fire. Across from them glared four alicorns. Standing with them stood two more, Shimmer looked... confused, but still angry. Blueberry seemed noncommittal. Fluttershy waved to Shimmer, who in turn mouthed something unprintable. Applejack tipped her hat to Blueberry, who refused to look her in the eye.

Rarity gulped, and stepped forward. This was no manticore, she faced a goddess in her full power, power which could unmake her should she choose. Her mane seemed to be a growing flowing vein of crystals, they were beautiful to see, shame about the coat, gray was not this mare's color. She expected when not under Discord's control her mane and coat would be shades of brilliant blue. The thought saddened her, such beauty sullied.

"Begin!"

The next thing Rarity felt was a roundhouse kick dislocating her jaw. "You won't take her from me!" Sapphire screamed in anguish.

Rarity picked herself up off the ground and felt her jaw as it knit itself back in place. When it had healed she took up a defensive posture as the other pony feinted for another opening.

"Her? Darling, I feel I am entering a conversation midway. Whom am I supposed to be trying to take from you?"

"Celestia!" Sapphire hissed the name, anger in her voice but somehow... reverence?

Jab to the midriff, protect the organs. Celestia? What does she- Oh.... Oh my... Her Tom... Well, give the mare some credit. High block, overhead chop, watch for attacks on the ears. If you went for fillies, you may as well shoot for the stars, or the sun as it were.

Rarity blocked another kick from the lovesick alicorn. She was trying to think. She couldn't blame the poor dear, admiration could turn to love very easily, goodness knows she had looked upon Applejack a time or two... (Ahem) back to matters at hoof. Low block, protect the kidneys. Love for a thing was far easier to break, once free of her enchantment she had seen Tom for what he was, and it was easy to give up her greed for the apparent shiny gem. (However she had polished him nicely and made him part of her backyard topiary. Oh Tom, why can't I quit you?) Love for a pony of the class of Celestia? Unlikely.

Another block, felt like her leg might have fractured, she could feel the bones knitting in place. Her only hope was to end this match before her opponent decided she was a true romantic rival and murdered her. But how exactly?

She leaped over a leg sweep attempt. She felt a twinge in her horn, one of the first spells she'd ever learned was telling her a large vein of diamonds was directly underneath her, about fifteen hundred hooves below. She reached into the earth with her telekinesis. A fountain of diamonds shot up into the sky.

A small respite as Sapphire looked confused. "When in doubt, cover it in gems." She grabbed each stone and coated her body in a (literally) diamond hard armor casing. It moved and flowed around her, each one being controlled with her magic.

She turned to her opponent, who was apparently mesmerized by the display of shining diamonds. They were shifting, flowing, and catching every facet of the sun. She grinned. "My best work yet, beautiful is it not?" Then she lept high into the air and came crashing down on Sapphire like a ton of bricks in a furious jump kick.

Sapphire went down. "Celestia..." She murmured. Rarity laid her head upon the supine alicorn's chest. A small flash and she had cast the spell. "Sweet dreams darling..."

Discord clapped. "Well done mademoiselle, that was a thing of beauty. Well then, till tomorrow everypony."

He snapped, and they were gone.