• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,443 Views, 801 Comments

Discord Writes a Ship Fic - Phoenix Quill



It can get so boring up there in Canterlot, so to alleviate that Discord tries his talon at writing the most offensive literature his twisted mind can conceive.

  • ...
30
 801
 9,443

Weekend, Part Triangle. Dreams, Journals, and Ponyville at last.

The sun slipped past the horizon as the train continued on it's journey to Ponyville. The lamps in the cars flickered on as the conductor made his rounds, checking on the passengers, and taking reports.

Normalcy began to take hold in the car as the knocked out Bad Horse and the rest of his gang were taken into the baggage car. "Well, one thing's for sure, nothing that exciting isn't going to happen again on this trip," Discord grumbled.

Wordsmith and Screwball were still struggling with untying Random Thought from his chair, when Random turned to Discord and shouted, "Good! I hope that it is the last! You know, if it weren't for Hearth Stone, we could all be dead right now!"

Discord waved a hoof dismissively at him as he watched a few of the passengers leave the car. "Oh please, I wouldn't let that happen. If he had actually fired I would have been able to get back to my usual self, and undo whatever damage he'd done."

"At the cost of losing your gambit, which may I remind you, losing would result in you refraining from practical jokes for a whole month." Screwball then took off her beany and used the propeller like a saw to cut the ropes off Random. "Sealed Scroll, you have got to consider our lively hood before you risk such a gamble with anypony's life like that."

Discord snorted at her while the trio left together to the dining car. "Well, at least it won't get much worse between here and Ponyville."

"Sir, bad news I'm afraid," Hearth Stone said in a gravely voice. "This train is coming to a halt at Clear Water Junction to fill up on water, and drop off the criminals we are holding."

Discord groaned as he slid his hooves down his face. "Great, where is this place, when do we get there, and how long will this take?"

Without missing a beat, the bat pony answered. "Clear Water is at the bottom of Canterlot mountain, we should be stopped for a half hour to an hour, and we will be stopping, now."

There was no warning of brakes squealing, or even a gradual slow down as the train jerked to a full, near instant stop. Discord was quickly thrown into the seat across from him and felt his horn jam into the wooden wall behind it right before the lights shut out for him.

"Where am I?" He looked around for several moments in bewilderment, still unsure of where he was as he looked around. For such a simple question, it took a very long time for Discord to come to the conclusion that he did not know, and that it would be unlikely that the answer would be coming any time soon.

He turned, and looked across the landscape. Gently sloping hills of grass was all he could see, until the earth met the sky. He raised his paw over his eyes as he turned in all directions, nothing was different. No matter what view he took in, all that he saw was the rise and fall of green earth.

Discord continued to turn, until he spotted a lone oak atop the highest hill. "May as well go there," Discord mumbled as he took off.

"Ah pony feathers, he's gone and got himself stuck in the wall!" Random Thought quickly tried to pull the knocked out unicorn from the position he's been thrown into before Hearth Stone offered a hoof. "You would think that somepony as old as him would know better by now."

Screwball rolled her eyes before turning to leave for the dining car. "Whatever you say Random. Let us know when he recovers, I need a drink."

Wordsmith's ears perked up and he instantly swivled his head to look at her with a smile. "Oh? What are you getting?"

"A stiff cuppa tea. With honey, and maybe a touch of lemon! I need to calm down before I lose control of myself."

"What happens when you lose control of yourself?" Hearth Stone asked with a curious tilt of his head.

"You don't want to know," Random intervened. "I thought that I wanted to know, but then I found out." As Random spoke, he and Hearth managed to pull Discord's horn out of the wall, and set him down in a seat.

Hearth Stone shuddered as the quartet walked back into the dining car. "Well, how about a loose word describing what happens?"

"Chaos, true unbridled random chaos." Random Thought said with a shudder. "She reverts back to how she was when she shared a body with somepony else. Before she had a mind or continence of her own."

"Wait," Wordsmith said while holding a hoof up to stop Screwball. "You're not a real pony?"

"Of course I'm real you perpetual petulance! I was just, created by a mare's paranoia of anything abnormal and her obsessive compulsive disorder to make sure everything was neat and orderly and her suppression of any trace of an emotion, instead of the more traditional way ponies are born!"

As Screwball stomped away, leaving behind a trail of squeaking sounds with each stomp, the three stallions shook their heads in confusion. After several seconds Wordsmith began to rub his head before going after her. "I think I need a drink, a stiff one. Like a scotch."

The two other stallions nodded and said, "Agreed," before following him to the back car for the bar and lounge.


It was a long climb to the top of the hill, but somewhere in his mind, he knew that it would be worth it. He looked about himself and gave a weary sigh. High above him, the sun shone brightly as if mocking him, and he looked up into it's heart with a dark glare before continuing on.

The shadow of the tree stretched out over him, offering cool comfort from the burning rays of the sun, and Discord smiled. He was finally there, under the shade offered by the crown of the mighty oak. The scene was ideal as could be, with the green grass growing just as thick under the everlasting darkness of the tree.

"Well, now what?" A chill ran through the air as he looked about, searching for an answer of any sort before he spotted it. A lone red bound book lying in the grass.


Hearth Stone, Wordsmith and Random Thought put down their glasses and quickly motioned for a refill, and got it. As they sipped their scotch down they would go back and forth between it, and their own respective chasers. Random had a cola, Wordsmith had some juice, and Hearth Stone chased his shots with another shot.

Wordsmith and Random watched in awe as he would do this again and again, and still seemed perfectly fine. "Uh, Hearth Stone? How are you doing that?"

"Doing what?" He then slugged back another pair of shots.

"That, just there! You should be drunk or passed out by now from that!"

"Bat pony," he vaguely answered before taking another shot. "Alcohol has very little effect on me."

The other two gave a resounding oh before finishing their drinks. "Well," Wordsmith said as he slammed a hoof to the bar. "I'm done here. If you would excuse me, I'm going to find some solitude for a bit of writing."

"That's nice," Random said with a wave. "I'll be seeing you around." He then ordered another drink from the bar and drank deep from his glass of cola.

Hearth Stone took another long swig from his tall glass of scotch, wiped his mouth with a hoof and gave a contented sigh. "Well, I think I'm done here. I'm going to go ahead and write everything down in my log."

"You mean a journal?" Random Thought offered with his eyebrow raised.

"No, I mean just that, my military log." The grey bat pony heaved himself out of the seat, took five steps, then quickly passed out from too much scotch.

Random Thought snorted slightly before taking another shot followed by cola. "Immune to alcohol my left hoof." He then drained his glass of cola and left the bar with a hoof in the air. "Keep the change High Proof!"


The train had begun moving again, and Screwball was sitting in the dining car. "Those fools, they don't know the power of the chaotic side." She then sipped from her tea, and sighed as it changed into hot cocoa. "Not a clue."

She watched in mild amusement as Wordsmith wandered by her seat without even noticing her, mumbling to himself all the while inaudible words. When he left the car, she looked to her left and saw that she had left her journal open, waiting for her to put the next entry within. With a sad smile and a sigh, she looked under her beany on the table, pulled a ball point pen out, and began to write.

Dear journal, The train is on the move once again. I must admit however that I am baffled by the strange events that seem to follow me and my employer wherever we go, especially when we are together. Granted, I being who I am will always have to deal with strange events, and even create some on my own.

Despite that, things are moving along well, and there are supposed to be no more stops between here and Ponyville. My employer, last that I knew of, was sleeping off his latest head trauma. I only hope that as a group we can really get our act together before we enter the forest. From the files I was given, the threat we are facing is truly, Oh my Celestia, is that a chipmunk? It's so cute! Oh my goodness, I wish I could draw it. It's running along the telegram wire outside the train. Oh, it just got picked up by a buzzard.

Wow I hope that's not an omen.

Suddenly, I want a pie. That's all for now!
Hugs and kisses,

Screwball


Discord looked at the book in curiosity, and he shuddered. He felt a thousand harsh eyes looking upon him, yet no one was in sight.

He quickly shook off the feeling and picked up the book. "What are you doing here?" Discord puzzled as he turned the red book over in his mismatched hands. It was rather plain, no gold or silver filigree, no images of any sort, not even a title emblazoned the cover of the book to let somepony know what end was the front, or the top.

"I wonder, who's is this?" Slowly, Discord opened the book, and began flipping through the pages. After several blank sheets, he soon found that he was at the back of the book and holding it upside down. Discord rolled his eyes and flipped the book around the right way and began to explore the contents.

La draconequus vidas ĉion ĉirkaŭ ĝin, ĝi voras ĉiuj vidas. Paco neniam estis eblo. Li ne povas helpi al lia naturo, ĉar li estas estaĵo de detruo, dio de kaoso. Malkonkordo estas bezonataj en la mondo de harmonio. Sed la mondo turnos al cindro se vi lasu lin vagi libera.

Ne rigardu al la malplena, ĉar ĝi ne scias. Ne rigardu en la menson, ĉar ĝi importas ne. Nek vi devas rigardi al viaj manoj kiel iloj por solvi detruo. La mediaciisto inter la kapo kaj manoj estas la koro. Trovu vian koron, malkonkordo, kaj vidi kio kuŝas antaŭ via vojo.

Discord dropped the book quickly after reading what was inside. The sky suddenly darkened and an inky black shadow began to spread from the book. The grass withered and died everywhere it touched, quickly spreading to the old oak, and leaving destruction in its wake.

Lightning flashed, and Discord turned to it, as the black void ate up everything around him, turning what was a peaceful field into a wasteland, he saw it. Far off in the distance Discord saw himself, a giant vision of terror and might laughing maniacally as he spread chaos in his wake.

Discord watched in terror as he turned to flee from himself, only to find that he was a pony. The same brown unicorn that he was on turned to. An ant before the might of his own former self. "STAY AWAY FROM ME!"

The giant Discord guffawed before eating a plate of soda and tossing the liquid aside. "You can not hide from me! You know what you are! You know who I am! Join me and we can do great things once more!"

Discord kept galloping, trying desperately to outpace the leviathan draconequus, and the destruction he left in his wake. "NEVER! I'll never go back!"

The mad god behind him continued to laugh as the void swallowed him up, leaving Discord alone in the dark with his evil alternate ego. "You will never be one of them."

"NO!"

Everypony on the train looked at the brown unicorn that suddenly shot up like a rocket form his seat. Discord felt the eyes of everypony on him, and soon he felt the blood rush to his face. Quickly, he mumbled apologies before galloping as best as he could out the back of the car to find the rest of his team.


Aug. 24. 2013
Today, I found myself losing my mind. We are slated to enter Ponyville in less than an hour, if not sooner at the rate of speed we are moving in. There's not much to look at right now, I'm sitting in the engine with the driver, and have just helped him shovel some coal and he even let me blow the whistle! Truly, this is the greatest day of my life that I can remember.

I just asked the driver how much longer until we reach Ponyville, and he says that we should be coming up on the station in a few moments. I'm going to head back and check on the rest of the group. Until next time, caio.
Wordsmith.

Wordsmith smiled a little as he folded up the book and placed it in his bag. "Well Steamer, thanks for letting me see the engine!"

"No problem, thanks for helping me with the coal. You better get your friends together, we're about to pull in to the station."

"Right, see you later!" He gave a wave of his hoof before running through the coal tender, then baggage car before he entered the first class car. That's when he found that the only one in his group that was there, was Random Thought. "Hey, where's everypony else?"

"Sealed Scroll had a nightmare and went to talk to Screwball, and Hearth Stone is passed out in the lounge car. Sealed Scroll and Screwball are going to get him before they come back here to get our stuff and exit the train. Any more questions?"

Wordsmith shook his head as he used his magic to grab his hat from the storage space above the seat. "Not really. Everypony else got their stuff out of the safe, right?"

"That's a question, but yes they did," Random Thought snarked quickly before folding up his newspaper. "How soon until we stop?"

"Any second now. Hopefully Sealed won't go flying into any more walls this time."

"I heard that." The two ponies turned to see the remaining three of their group headed into the car with similar frowns on their faces. "And I'll have you know that I would appreciate it if you showed some courtesy for your boss even when I'm not around thank you very much."

"Aha-ha-ha-ha," Wordsmith said sarcastically as he threw his hat on. "My boss, you know what, if it wasn't for you, I'm sure I would have set free by now. Not to mention I would have my own memories, and a job that actually pays me."

"Hey, that castle bedroom doesn't pay for itself you know."

The brakes suddenly squealed loudly, and the train began to slow to a halt. "Ponyville station! Everypony off for Ponyville!" The five ponies grumbled slightly as they gathered their things, and quickly made a hasty exit from the car.

"What a nightmare. I never want to take the train again as long as I live." Discord grumbled while stretching to pop his back. "We could have walked and been here sooner, I'm sure."

"Walked, yeah we would only be here in a day instead of six hours." Screwball commented as they gathered their bigger luggage from the baggage claim to the side of the platform. "Anyhow, where do we plan on staying?"

"Well," Discord said with a clap of his hooves. "I had John Smith go ahead and let Fluttershy know we were coming. I asked him to join us, but he said something under his breath that I couldn't understand about time, space, and paradoxes. Anyhow, he did get Fluttershy know, so if I know her, she should be right... HERE!"

Discord and his group rounded a corner, and found the yellow mare sleeping on a park bench outside the station with a small cart next to her. "Well, looks like we might be a bit later than we thought," Hearth Stone said with a frown.

"It's only about eleven or so, what gives?"

Discord ignored Wordsmith but held up a hoof instead and bobbed it up and down while mouthing a count down. He then dramatically pointed at the train, and as he did it's whistle blew and it began to take off. "I'M NOT SLEEPING! Oh, um, I mean, hello. Can I help you?"

Discord smiled wide as he stepped forward holding an arm wide open. "Fluttershy! It's so good to see you!" He then wrapped a foreleg around her in a warm hug. "How've you been?"

Fluttershy's eyes went wide at this close encounter and she froze for a second or two. "STRANGER DANGER!" She then stunned Discord by hitting him in the most painful and vulnerable spot she could hit. His horn.

Instantly Discord's magic discharged and he backed off as he felt his energy drain away. "Ow! What was that for! It's me! I'm in disguise, don't you recognize my voice?!"

Fluttershy tilted her head in confusion before she noticed that the ponies that surrounded him were Screwball and Random Thought from Discord's ministry. Then she noticed the night guard, and finally put the pieces together. "Discord? But you look so different! What happened?"

"It's a long story. Anyhow, did you find a place for us to stay?"

"Well, yes. Well, I mean, no. Not really. The mayor has declared a state of emergency over the creature in the Everfree, and now all the hotels are closed."

"Well that's just great," Wordsmith mumbled to himself. "Now where are we supposed to stay?"

"Don't worry," Fluttershy said with a smile. "I have a room for all of you at my cottage. It's not much, but I'm sure you'll be comfortable."

After about a half hour of walking, and a good meal, the five ponies found themselves all cramped in Fluttershy's bedroom in her cottage. "Well we should have seen this one coming."

"Quit complaining Hearth Stone," Screwball said as she turned over in the bed that all five had managed to cram themselves onto. "Fluttershy was kind enough to bring us into her home and feed us a decent meal. Not to mention give up her own bed for us all to sleep in."

Hearth Stone turned over as best as he could away from Screwball and folded his foreleg under his head. "Yeah well this place smells like a zoo. I mean, I can actually taste it, in my mouth. I don't understand how she could have so many animals in here."

Discord then got out of the bed and laid down on the floor. "Will the both of you kindly shut up. I've been knocked out and run ragged and I need sleep." He then grabbed a spare blanket and pillow from the closet and set up a small sleeping area on the floor. "We have a long day tomorrow, and I need my beauty sleep."

"I don't think you'll get enough of that by tomorrow." Wordsmith said with a grin. If looks could kill, the glare Discord gave Wordsmith would have easily put him in a coma for a few weeks.

After that, silence reigned supreme throughout the cottage. Everypony in the bed was sleeping, no matter how difficult it came to them. The only one still awake, was Discord.

"What if this doesn't work. What if we fail? What am I going to do if they get hurt?" Discord looked at the four ponies in the bed and frowned. "I don't know what I would do if they got hurt because of this. Fluttershy said she would go with us, but I don't know if that's such a good idea anymore."

He turned over on the floor and found his saddle bags next to him. "I need to relax. Do something to get my mind off of tomorrow, then maybe sleep will come." Using his magic, he grabbed his journal and a pen and quickly just wrote whatever came to mind.

Author's Note:

Translated from the book of dreams...
The draconequus sees everything around it, It devours all it sees. Peace was never an option. He can not help his nature, for he is a being of destruction, a god of chaos. Discord is a needed in the world of harmony. But the world will turn to ash if you let him roam free.

Look not into the void, for it knows not. Look not into the mind, for it cares not. Neither should you look to your hands as tools to solve destruction. The mediator between the head and hands are the heart. Find your heart, Discord, and see what lies before your path.

WOW That took a long time. I am so sorry, but things have been hectic in my life lately. Job searches, driving, taking care of my mom, putting up with requests, getting used to have three house guests that I did not expect to suddenly live with us.

ANYHOW, coming soon is the wining idea from the contest I was holding! Are you excited? Can you stand it? Hang on because the ride never ends!