• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 597 Views, 7 Comments

The Mission - Blueness



What would you do to protect those you love? I have to go to Ponyville, but it's not the adventure I exactly had in mind...

  • ...
5
 7
 597

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Pinkie pie stated she would have the party ready for tonight, despite my assurances to take her time. In the meantime, she told me to familiarize myself with the town. I had no objection to that, since I would be in this town for a while, knowing the place would probably come along with knowing the ponies. In that time, I found the main landmarks of Ponyville:

• Sweet Apple Acres, residence of Applejack and family.
• Rarity’s Carousel Boutique, also her residence.
• Sugarcube Corner, residence, again, of Pinkie Pie and the Cake family.
• The library, Twilight Sparkle’s house. If she doesn’t mind, I might spend a lot of time there, gathering information.
• Fluttershy’s cottage.
• The spa.
• Rainbow Dash’s house.
• Oh, also the town hall, and the school, as well as the marketplace.

A few problems came to mind as I wandered the streets. Where would I stay? How would I get information to Nightmare Moon without suspicion? And, of course, I had to eat, which means I needed to find a way of making money. Bits, I believe they were called here, right? Anyways, I figured I could find a place of residence at the party, and then everything else
would happen on its own.

Nothing else really happened that day, so I’ll skip to the party.

I expected the party to be at Sugarcube Corner, or the library, but Pinkie Pie, it seems, decided to use the town hall. She found me wandering the town, calling to me that the party was starting, just as the sun began to go down. When we got there, I was slightly surprised about the town hall thing. Pinkie Pie said it was appropriate.

“Since you wanted to get to know everypony, I thought that using somepony’s house would be too small for everypony, so I asked the mayor, and she said YES! Isn’t that awesome?”

“Great” was my only response. To be honest, I was a little nervous. I had a feeling I was going to be put in the spotlight.

As we entered, the first I noticed was ponies. Everywhere. Ponies playing games, ponies talking, ponies dancing.

It was like a party on Earth.

Except with ponies.

I really need to get used to this.

Beside me, Pinkie Pie seemed to day something I couldn’t hear over all the noise and music. She pointed her hoof forwards, and started walking in that direction, so I guess I was to follow her. So I did. It seemed we were moving closer to the other side of the hall.

Where the stage was.

Eventually, after weaving through the crowd some more, we reached the stage. As we got up, we were greeted by the mayor herself. She was a sandy tan color, but her grey mane and tail revealed some age. She also wore glasses covering purple eyes and a collar with a green ruffle tie. Her flank bore a scroll sealed with a blue ribbon.

“You must be True Blue,” she began, “thank you for coming.”

“Of course I would come. It is a party for me after all.”

She chuckled, then walked up to a microphone at the front of the stage. She began to speak.

“Attention, everypony!”

The music stopped, and all faces turned in our direction.

“I’m sure you all know why we’re here. Of you don’t, now you will. We are here to welcome a new friend to Ponyville. Fillies and gentlecolts, please welcome… True Blue!”

A light shown down on me, causing me to squint. As my eyes readjusted, I could see everypony looking at me, smiling, cheering and stomping their hooves. So I waved and smiled. Act natural, right?

Off to the side, the mayor ushered me to move up to the mike. She wanted me to say something.

Oh, great.

Well, no turning back now. I walked up to the mike. As I did, everypony quieted down so that they could hear me. I began my speech.

“Uhh…” a wave of feedback caused everyone to cover their ears. I cleared my throat and continued. “Thanks for coming, everypony. I really appreciate it, and look forward to getting to know you all. So…yeah! Party on!”

That was enough for them, as they continued their previous activities. The music resumed, and I noticed, finally, where it was coming from.

A giant set of speakers, in between them, a white pony wearing sunglasses. The DJ.

Vinyl Scratch.

Sweet.

As I stepped off the platform, the mayor and Pinkie Pie joined me, and the mayor spoke up.

“Not bad, not bad. I, however, could’ve put something together for you to read.”

I chuckled. “This is a party, not a sleep fest.”

She chuckled as well.

I turned to Pinkie Pie. “So, Pinkie Pie, why don’t you introduce me to some of your friends?”

“Of course I will! Great idea!”

As the night went on, I met a few interesting ponies. Vinyl Scratch was one, as well as her colleague Octavia. I complemented them both on their musical skills, which took to their liking. I also met Time Turner. He was very open, and told me to call him by his preferred nickname, Dr. Whooves. Pinkie also introduced me to Ditzy Doo, who was better known as Derpy Hooves. It was no wonder they were friends.

“And last, but not least,” she began to conclude near the end of the party, “my very bestest of best friends!”

We approached a group of ponies, who were talking and laughing, and having general fun. There were four in the group, and Pinkie and I made six.
“True Blue, I would like you to meet Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, and rainbow Dash.”

The four looked at me, smiling. They were everything I knew them to be. Applejack, about as orange as a pumpkin with a straw yellow mane and tail, donning a cowboy hat. Fluttershy, not as yellow as a chicken, but a soft yellow, with pink hair, acting invisible, as not to get noticed. Rarity, knowing a thing or two about fashion, keeping her white coat and purple man, as well as tail, in check, always looking her best. And sky blue Rainbow Dash, her mane and tail not letting her name down, acting tough, even though she was already.

“Yes, I remember,” I said. “The bearers of the Elements of Harmony, who saved Equestria multiple times.”

They all smiled like they were embarrassed. Fluttershy blushed. Rainbow Dash leaped into the air on her wings, shouting “yep, that’s us!”

Applejack spoke next, in her southern drawl. “Thank you True Blue, yer awful kind.”

That was another thing about Applejack: always modest. I continued, “Please, call me Blue. Anyways, I’m very happy to meet you all.” I looked around expectantly. “There’s only one I more haven’t met yet. I believe her name is Twilight Sparkle?”

Everyone’s cheery mood in the group went straight to disappointment. Even Pinkie seemed bummed out.
Rarity spoke up, in her English accent: “I’m afraid Twilight was unable to attend. She’s been absent on business.”

Applejack spoke again. “Ever since she became an alicorn, she’s been up in Canterlot learning how to be a princess.”

Right, I forgot. Now it was my turn to speak. “Then who’s running the library?”

Rainbow answered. “Nobody. It’s just a tree full of books.”

Applejack interrupted, preventing Rainbow from being anymore rude. “Anyway, we all miss her, and hope she comes back soon.”

There was a small moment of sad silence, giving me time to think.

“Well, I’m looking for a place to stay while I’m here. Do you think I could run the library?”

They all looked at me for a moment, then at each other, their faces in question.

Then a small, soft voice came from behind the mares.

“That’s a good idea.”

Fluttershy stepped forward from behind Rarity and Applejack, and continued.

“Someone has to do it, and I can’t think of any other volunteers, so…would you like to do it?”

Applejack looked at me, with some concern. “Do you think you can do it?”

I smiled. “It can’t be too hard. All you need to do is sign books in, sign books out, and then back in, again, and charge for lates and damage, right?”

Applejack smiled back. “Well, if you’re sure, then you’re sure. Try talking to the mayor, she’ll get you set up.”

Author's Note:

Questions? Leave me a comment below, and stay tuned for the next chapter!