• Published 19th Apr 2013
  • 1,249 Views, 23 Comments

The Story of Ian Camron - Swordoath



Fifteen year old Ian Camron, an awkward guy with an unfortunate past, is unwillingly stuck in equestria and turned into an unstable unicorn. Surrounded by pony girls and comepletely out of his element, what does fate have in mind for him?

  • ...
9
 23
 1,249

Crashes and Risk

I was sitting in one of the seats of the end car of the train, trying not to focus on my recent conversation, when I was jolted from my thoughts by the sound of an explosion. I ran up to the front car, where the others were looking out the windows.

"What...?" I said looking out the train window. In the distance I saw what may have been a town, but looked more like an abstract painting. The land was warped and twisted, chunks of it floating in the air. The sky was the wrong color. And I could've sworn I heard somepony scream "No! Not the pie!"

"Oh dear..." Rarity said.

"I take it that's not the town's normal state?" I asked without really needing an answer. "What's up with that place?"

"Only one pony would do- could do anything like this," Twilight said, turning to her friends. "Discord."

"What? Why?" I asked.

"When it comes to him, its better to ask 'Why not?' He just wants to make everything random and unnatural. He is the god of chaos, after all." She explained.

"That was him? I spent a whole week getting the cotton candy out of my mane." Lyra moaned, tugging down on her hair.

"Yes. Last time, we had the elements of harmony. Serene- er, um, Sarah saw us use them when we fought Sombra. But we didn't bring them with us." Twilight continued.

"So we basically don't have any way to fight against him?" Lyra asked.

"Not really." Pinkie said sadly.

"So this whole time he was just using Ian and Sombra as distractions while he strengthened his hold over this place. He's been playing us the whole time." I slammed a hood into the window frame in frustration. "For a god of chaos and randomness, he planned this out pretty well. What do we do?"

"We should just grab Ian and get out of there, come back with the elements, and seal him in stone again!" Rainbow said, mashing one hood against the other.

I nodded. As of yet, I had no better plan. "Right. So when we get there, spread out in groups of two everyone. We can defend one another better while still covering a decent amount of ground. I'll take Lyra. You guys divide as you please, though try to be separate races. Cover each other's weaknesses. We can meet back at the train station in an hour, hopefully with-"

I didn't get to finish my thought, as the train bucked and flipped into the air. Rainbow Dash grabbed Rarity and flew out the window, and AppleJack pulled FlutterShy out by the tail while she covered her eyes. Twilight teleported out with Pinkie. Lyra and I were thrown out of the train window, and were sprawling through the air. The train was still ascending when we were thrown downwards. We would've been crushed by the train if a blur of brown and gold hadn't shoved us out of the way of the falling train.

"You alright?" Somepony asked.

"Y-yeah, just a little shaken-" Lyra said, rising unsteadily. she caught sight of our mysterious savior.

He had an eagle's head, and claws for front legs. He also had the back half of a lion, but with wings. I felt like I knew the species from somewhere else. Some mythology or another.

"And you?" he asked.

"I'm fine. Thanks for saving us." I said. "But who are you?"

"Me? I'm Risk. Risk Twinglimmer." He said proudly.

"'Twinglimmer'...? I think I've heard that name before." Lyra said quietly. "Nevermind. Have you seen a blue Unicorn with red mane highlights anywhere around here?"

"Actually, yeah. He was wandering around the plaza, I think. He wouldn't leave." He gestured with his talon. "You know him?"

I was already flying. "Yeah, I do!"

He quickly caught up, gliding in front of me. "Hey, wait! The town's too dangerous. I've been working on getting the residents out."

I stopped. "How dangerous?"

"Like fire-breathing mug dangerous."

Lyra caught up and stood below us. "Hey! What are you waiting for? Let's go find Ian!"

I nodded to her, then turned back to Risk. "Listen, I know you mean well, but I'm going to find my boyfriend. Don't get in my way."

He blinked at me. "I wasn't going to stop you. I just can't let two mares head into a tartarus-hole on there own."

I stared at him for a moment. He seemed honest enough. "Fine."

The three of us flew off towards the town.