• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 1,217 Views, 36 Comments

The Origin of a Legacy - QuiteNiceDynamite

  • ...
1
 36
 1,217

Spring in Stalliongrad

Whilst Discord had been realising what he’d done, Luna, Celestia, Cirrus and Raider were approaching the town of Stalliongrad, the trek had been a lot easier than they had been first expected. When they originally set off, Raider had been suspicious of some form of magical barrier between Canterlot and the outside world having been placed by Discord to stop ponies escaping, but he ended up having no need to worry as they left Canterlot as easily as they always had in the past.


The journey was very manageable, even for the less athletic Cirrus. The sun had been shining the entire way and they had time to bond, telling stories of their childhood, families, friends and their dreams. Luna really enjoyed the journey, despite the sun permanently shining. She felt closer to Cirrus and especially Raider, she’d always been friendly with Cirrus, but as she had now been able to talk more with Raider, she felt more secure with him. Raider had always been a very professional, quiet stallion while he was in the Guard, but since Discord attacked, he had become more social, more approachable.

It seemed that when his comrades were killed by Discord, he’d shaken off his usual professionalism and become more like any other pony. He also lately had a greater disregard for military protocol than he previously had. Raider had always been the most dependable and obedient stallion in the Guard, that’s why Captain Steel Hooves appointed him as his second in command, but recently, Luna had noticed how much he stood up for other ponies against his Captain, especially for her and Celestia.


Whilst Luna had been daydreaming, the eagle-eyed Raider spotted the distant walls of Stalliongrad on the horizon.

“We’re coming up to Stalliongrad, guys. The coast looks clear, but just stick to the path, just in case.” Raider recommended as he took point.

Cirrus stayed at the back to keep a safe eye on Luna and Celestia, as he always had been and always would. The group then slowly trotted through the green fields.
After walking for a while without anypony speaking, Cirrus broke the silence,

“Strange.” he said simply.

“What’s strange?” asked Raider.

“It’s supposed to snow here in spring, but it’s green for as far as I can see.” Cirrus pointed out.

“Hmm.” Raider pondered on Cirrus' point. “You’re right, but the weather and seasons haven’t been right ever since Discord arrived. There’ll probably be no snow in the Desert either.” Raider guessed..


After 10 more minutes of walking, they reached the gates of Stalliongrad, locked and bolted shut.

“How are we to get in?” Celestia asked. The noise of Celestia talking awoke the napping lookout on the walkway of the town walls.

“Halt! Who goes there?!” the lookout demanded.

“Easy, soldier. I’m Sergeant Raider of the Canterlot Royal Guard. These are my travelling colleagues Luna, Celestia and Cirrus.” Raider answered.

“What is the purpose of your visit?” The lookout asked.

“We just wish to rest here for the night and then we will leave.” Raider explained.

The lookout then walked away. Luna became quite anxious due to his disappearance.

“Where’s he going?” She asked shakily.

“Don’t worry, Luna.” Raider reassured the young mare. “He’ll be going to inform his commanding officer that we’re here, it’s general protocol. They’ll either turn us away or open the gates when the commander gives his order.”

And sure enough, the gates opened as soon as Raider had finished speaking. Raider shot a sly, confident smile to the group when he was proven right, but his smile soon dropped when he saw the iron-clad stallion in front of him.


He wore a silver helmet on his head with a blue plume, the sign of a Commander. He was also a unicorn, with a giant, green horn, matching his hair colour.

“Well, well, well, who is this?” The stallion said, “Sergeant Raider, long time, no see.”

“Have we met, Commander? I recognise your face, but I can't put a name to it.” Raider said with a cocked eyebrow, unsure of the stallions’ identity.

“I’m afraid we have. Several times. All on the battlefield. That’s if you are the Raider I’m thinking of.” the Stallion continued to cryptically reveal his identity.

“You fought with the Scout teams in Germaney?” The anonymous soldier asked.

“Yes, against the Nords of Bridle Shores.” Raider answered.

“Then you fought me. Let me ask you, Sergeant. Have you ever been crushed to the ground with a knife to your throat?"

The Commander faced away from the group, pulling a wry smile.

"Yes. Wait, you can't be." A frown appeared on Raider’s face as the Commander chuckled darkly.
“Emerald Horn?” Raider realised, he got his answer as the Commander turned and nodded cockily.

“I should have killed you when I had the chance.” Emerald Horn stated.

“Don’t worry, Emerald. The feeling’s mutual.” Raider admitted scornfully.

The two continued to stare each other down as Celestia, Luna and Cirrus just stood there, confused by the events that were unfolding before them.
Commander Emerald Horn started to laugh at Raiders’ angry expression,
“Oh, come on Raider, lighten up!” Emerald Horn laughed. “We aren’t troopers anymore, we don’t do the fighting.”

He held out a hoof to give the ponies a warmer welcome to Stalliongrad.
“You are my guests, and I shall provide.” Emerald Horn explained.
“We have empty accommodation that should suit you all, feel free to use our facilities as you please, make yourself at home.” He ushered the group into his town.


Luna looked around the town as she followed the Commander, she expected very basic, grey and ugly buildings, but Stalliongrad was a lot like Canterlot. Pristine roads and sidewalks, colourful and stylish buildings, open green areas. It basically was Canterlot.

Emerald Horn directed his guests to their ‘suitable accommodation.’ It was slightly different than previously anticipated.
He led them towards the castle, which was surrounded by many small abandoned buildings.

“You shall stay here for the night.” The Commander stated as he turned to walk away.

“Are you crazy, Emerald?” Raider exclaimed. “How can we all fit in there?” he asked.

“Honestly, Raider, how hard can it be for four ponies to fit into a castle?” he asked rhetorically.
“What, did you honestly think I’d make you stay in that shed for the night?”

Raider had thought that Emerald Horn had been referring to the abandoned sheds, but the castle was what the Commander had been talking about. Raider was so shocked by the Commanders’ generosity that his jaw nearly hit the floor. Luna and Celestia both looked at each other with giant smiles on their faces, beaming with delight at being allowed to stay in a castle.

Emerald Horn turned to face them and said simply. “Welcome to Stalliongrad. Please enjoy your stay.” Then he turned briskly and returned to his post.
Luna and Celestia watched the Commander leave, then looked at one another again and squealed with delight and ran into the castle.

“Well.” Raider started as he leaned towards Cirrus. “We may as well be greatful.”

“I have no issue with that.” Cirrus said with a chuckle.


The group picked their own rooms and unpacked, Cirrus and Raider had their own rooms and Luna and Celestia shared a room as they had grown fond of each others’ company from sleeping in the same room in Canterlot.


Two hours later, at about 6 in the afternoon, Luna decided that she would like to explore Stalliongrad before she left for the Petrified Desert.

“Tia? I’m going out.” Luna raised her voice so Celestia could here her from the bathroom.

“Where?” Celestia asked.

“Just around Stalliongrad, you know, just walking around, seeing what’s here before we leave.” Luna replied.

“Well, wait for me, I want to go to.” Celestia suggested.


Celestia and Luna walked around the town of Stalliongrad, at first they felt a strange atmosphere around the town, then they realised that no ponies their age were in the town. Celestia went to ask a nearby Earth pony who was shopping why this was.

“Excuse me?” Celestia tried to raise her attention as she was stood behind her.

The Earth pony jumped in surprise and dropped the food she was buying.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Celestia gasped. “I’ll buy you some more.”

“No, it’s fine.” Said the old Earth pony; she looked about 60-70 years old, with a pink coat. “You don’t have to do that.” She said.

“No. I insist.” Celestia said slightly forcefully, trying to make the Earth Pony accept her generosity.

“Well…if you’re sure.” the Earth pony said.

“Actually.” Celestia started. “We were about to go to a café, would you care to join us?” Celestia asked.

“I don’t see why not, it’s nice to have a bit of company for a change.” The Earth pony admitted.


The Earth pony, Celestia and Luna entered the café around the corner and ordered three hay meals, Celestia paid for the Earth ponies' meal as repayment for making her drop her shopping.

Celestia began to talk. “Before all of this, I was going to ask you something, Miss?”

“Blossom.” She revealed.

“Blossom.” Celestia continued. “Yes, I was going to ask you, where are all the ponies our age in Stalliongrad, we haven’t seen any at all.”

“Oh, that’s just a new policy from the new Commander.” Blossom said.

“Commander Emerald Horn?” Luna asked.

“Yes, he’s only been Commander a month or two, the previous one just got too old and retired. But anyway, the Commander brought in a policy of military conscription for all teenage ponies in Stalliongrad, he’s just doing what happened to him when he was younger and this was a blooming town, but since then, Stalliongrad’s fallen behind in the social ladder of Equestria, and that’s why he’s building the army, so he can put us back on the map.” Blossom explained.

“That makes sense…sort of.” Luna said.

Blossom looked up at the clock on the wall.

“Wow, how time flies when you’re having fun. I’m afraid I’ll have to leave you now, but thanks for the dinner, I really appreciate it.” Blossom said as she started to leave.

“Actually, I’ve been meaning to give this to someone who could use it.” Blossom said as she handed Celestia a piece of paper.

“I could never use it because I’m an Earth pony, but you two have horns so it might work for you.” Blossom stated.

“I’m sorry, I have to go now.” Blossom said as she slowly trotted out of the café.

“Goodbye.” Luna and Celestia said together.

“I’ll see you two later.” Blossom said as she opened the door and walked out.

“What did she give you, Tia?” Luna asked, grabbed by curiosity.

“I’m not sure, it looks like a page from a spell book.” Celestia said.

“Let’s go back to the castle and have a better look at it.” Luna suggested.


Back at the castle, Luna and Celestia were inspecting the piece of paper. Celestia read the small text aloud.

“Spell #7, Telepathic Communication.” Luna looked at her sister excitedly.

“Two ponies of a high enough magical ability to perform age spells must chip off the tips of their horns using a sharp instrument, then fill the chip with the tip of the other ponies' horn and seal it in place with magic. Once completed, the two ponies can now perform telepathic communication for a maximum time of 2 minutes at a time. NOTE – ponies needn’t worry if the other ponies horn is a different colour to theirs, the horn fragment will change to the colour of the host ponies’ original horn colour.” Celestia read.

“Tia, can you perform an age spell?” Luna asked.

“Of course.” Celestia said. “Can you?” She questioned Luna.

“Yep.” Luna said.

“We should totally do that communication thing.” Luna said excitedly after a second of silence.

“Definitely.” Celestia seconded.


Luna and Celestia entered the bathroom to complete the procedure. Firstly, they both found sharp knives and cut their horn tips clean off. Luna gasped.

“Ow, it never said anything about it hurting.” Luna moaned as she rubbed her horn with a hoof.

“Don’t be such a filly.” Celestia taunted playfully. “It doesn’t hurt.”

Using their magic, they made their horn tips float in mid-air and exchanged them. They then both attached them securely to their horns.

“I look stupid with a blue horn and white tip.” Luna mumbled.

“Will you quit moaning? Give it a while.” Celestia moaned at her impatient sister.

After about 30 seconds, the colour of the tips started to change to the shade of the horn colour, as if it was acclimatizing to the horn.

“See? It was never in doubt.” Celestia said. “Right, let’s try it, I’ll try and talk to you first.”

Celestia and Luna sat down facing each other and closed their eyes, pulling strange faces as they concentrated hard.

---Luna? Can you hear me?---

---Yeah, it’s working!---

The two alicorns both let out little squeaks of happiness out loud and mentally. After 15 more seconds, they couldn’t communicate any more.

“That was so cool.” Luna exclaimed. “We’ll have to keep practising to improve our time record.”

“Well, let’s get to it.” Celestia said excitedly.


The next day, Raider and Emerald Horn stood on the castle’s eastern-most bastion, looking out towards the Petrified Desert. Raider had told the Commander of his plan, so the Commander informed him of a safer, hidden route through the icy desert, protected by an overhang of ice, keeping out the biting winds. The only issue was getting to it, as it the overhang only formed halfway across the Desert.

“There is no good way to cross the desert, it is one of the most dangerous places I can think of just based on climate alone. It’s so cold, all predators stay away, so you won’t have an issue with fighting anything.” explained the Commander.
“The only things you can do are to stay as warm as possible, stick together and keep moving, or you’ll freeze. Here, take these.” Emerald Horn handed Raider a pack of matches and small squares of wood to use as firewood.

“Thanks.” Raider said quietly. “But why are you helping us?” Raider wondered.

“Why shouldn’t I?” shrugged the Commander. “Like I said, we aren’t simple troopers anymore, we can be civil, and Discord is as big an issue to me as he is to you.” The Commander pointed out.

Emerald Horn looked at his watch. “It’s 6am, you should go now, the earlier you leave, the more time you have to reach the overhang, and if you reach that, your might just survive out there.” He explained.

“Thank you, Commander.” Raider replied as he went to the castle to find the others.

Raider went to find the others, and was pleased to see them all ready to leave

“Right, let’s go.” Raider said as he walked out of the castle.


They walked to the Eastern Gate where Commander Emerald Horn was waiting for them. Emerald Horn opened the gate.

“Thank you, Commander." Luna said.

“For what?” He replied.

“Your hospitality, of course.” She smirked.

Emerald Horn allowed a smile to break on his face as he operated the large winch to open the gate.

The Commander quickly reminded Raider.

“Walk in a straight line from these gates, don’t deviate, and you’ll find the covered cave system. That should be your only camp, so use all the wood in one go rather than carrying it further when you don’t need it.” Emerald Horn suggested quickly.

“We need to meet up when we aren’t trying to kill each other or go on a suicide mission.” Raider said with a smile.

“I wouldn’t bet on it.” Replied the Commander with a sarcastic smile on his face. “Now get going, time’s wasting.”

“Goodbye, Commander. Thanks for everything.” Raider said with a worried grin for the task ahead.
He then stepped outside the town walls and the rest followed him out into the blizzard of the Desert.

“You're welcome.” Emerald Horn responded. “Good luck!” He shouted as they left.
“You’re going to need it.” He sadly concluded as Cirrus, the back pony, disappeared into the storm of snow and bitter winds.