• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 1,217 Views, 36 Comments

The Origin of a Legacy - QuiteNiceDynamite

  • ...
1
 36
 1,217

An Agent of Chaos

Chaos is the new leader of Canterlot.
The Princess of Canterlot, Princess Solaria, the alicorn that raised the sun and moon every night and day, the alicorn that everypony in Equestria worshipped and looked up to, is now powerless against the creature of pure evil, of chaos, of Discord.


Discord assumed control over all of Equestria as quickly as he appeared on that night in Canterlot five months earlier when Luna was in her most depressed state. The fear he instilled within everyponies' minds was enough to halt any type of reaction against his Occupation.

Simply by changing the light of day at a different time than usual, he left the ponies of Canterlot in a state of horror. Ponies ran amok in fear as their utopia of peace had been cruelly transformed into a kingdom of pandemonium and confusion. The amount of distraught ponies in the streets stopped any type of retaliation from the Royal Guard as they couldn’t navigate the narrow roads.

Discord could assault the castle as easily as taking a stroll on a sunny morning. The Guards and Princess Solaria mounted the best rearguard possible to help other ponies escape through the castles’ rear entrance, but their valiant efforts didn’t stop Discord wreaking havoc and assuming control of Canterlot despite ten ponies escaping through that rear door.


Princess Solaria was held in the dungeon beneath Canterlot Castle for 'safekeeping' as Discord would have put it, he had taken away her magic and wings to render her useless, but she could have considered herself lucky. Any other pony that Discord saw in the castle was annihilated mercilessly, without a trace of remorse, exploded with magic into permanent nothingness with naught to remember them by except memories and charred ashes.

Firstly, he terminated the Royal Guards, why wouldn’t he? They were attacking him. And then he wanted revenge.

Next he killed the servants.

Then finally, the children.

All disposed of without a sprinkling of pity or compassion.

Discord would say that he acted accordingly, all he did was arrive, then he was attacked, so he wanted to leave the Canterlot ponies with something to remember him by, and how they would remember him, the Castle would be turned into a memorial to the ponies he massacred. He had been having fun and games for millennia, and he took the opportunity to release a bit of anger. And now he was the ruler of all Equestria, Canterlot was the last pony settlement he hadn’t conquered. It had all been too easy.
“King Discord – well, I could get used to that!” He chuckled.


During the first few months of Discords’ reign, Luna and Celestia had hidden in their houses along with every other pony in Equestria, terrified in the dark; they wouldn’t dare turn a light on for fear of him. Luna wouldn’t have minded the conditions if she wasn’t shaking in fear at the thought of what had happened that night when he arrived.

When she went to sleep on that fateful night, she had awful nightmares and awoke sweating and shivering, since then she had moved her bed into Celestia's room for company and security. Celestia had said “Oh, alright then” as submissively as she could, but she was secretly happy as she had been having bad dreams about Discord also. Celestia taught Luna the arts of magic 'just in case something happened again' while they were in Canterlot, and Luna became rather good at it.

As the days wore on, the more daring (and hungry) ponies would venture outside to try and set up a new secret community, their food supplies had run out and they needed to find more. They would sneak from building to building to avoid Discord as he strolled through his new 'chaos capital.'

They managed to set up a scaled-down marketing system to ensure that everypony would stay well-fed. The Canterlot ponies thought that they were doing all this without Discord knowing. He knew. He didn’t miss much. Why would Discord react to this? He didn’t have anything against the ponies, in fact, maybe he liked them, but they were unfortunate enough to live in a place he wanted conquer. He wouldn’t harm anypony for no reason; he only killed those in the castle to stamp his authority and create and atmosphere of tension in his kingdom.


“We’re running out of food again, Luna.” Celestia pointed out as she stared at the bare cupboards while Luna ate dinner at the table.

“So? Go and get some more." Luna suggested.

“It’s your turn.” Celestia replied.

“You know I don’t like going there.” Luna said as she shrunk nervously into her seat.

“Go on Luna, we’ve agreed that we have to take turns. And anyway, nopony at the underground market would do anything to you, and you’ve mastered magic while we’ve been hiding away.”

Celestia said to Luna to motivate her, and she wasn’t lying, Luna had become an expert in magic.

“Oh, okay then.” Luna groaned as she slipped away from the table to get her bag.

“Take care” Celestia said as she trotted out the door to stealthily navigate the streets.


The bell tower that the market was hidden beneath said that it was 4pm, but obviously Discord didn’t think so as the moon and stars were out. Luna loved this, she was in her element. It was also easier for her to sneak around due to the nights' darkness and her navy blue coat blending into the shadows she hid in.

She nervously sneaked towards the secret stairs at the back of the bell tower. She moved the square of earth that hid the stairs to the side to enter the lit storage area.

“Hey, Loony.” Said the young mare who exited the store as Luna anxiously edged towards the shop counter.

“Luna.” Said the pegasus store owner. “Just ignore her, you ain’t Loony.”

“Thanks, Cirrus.” Luna replied to the middle-aged, balding, orange-coated stallion.

“So what can I do for you today? The usual?” Cirrus asked.

“Yes, please.” Luna said back to him.

“So that’s a lump o’ hay, with three two-litre water bottles, right?” Cirrus remembered.

“How do you remember that? And for every customer?” Luna questioned.

“Well, my specialties are marketing and bartering, and that includes pleasing the customers.” Cirrus pointed out.

“I see.” Luna said as she realised what he meant.

“That’ll be four bits, please.” Cirrus read off of his price list as he handed the goods over.

“There you go, goodbye.” Luna said as she handed over the bits, placed the goods in her bag and trotted out.

“Take care, Luna.” Cirrus added.


After Luna had ascended the stairs and replaced the mound of earth back to its usual position, she started to trot gingerly back towards her house. Again, Discord was nowhere to be seen and she reached her home without incident, she was just about to open the front door to enter the 'safe zone' when a small piece of paper nailed to a lamppost down the street shimmered in the wind and grabbed her attention.

Luna looked around to check for any possible signs of danger, it could be a clever trap laid by the wily Discord. When Luna realised that nothing was going to happen, she swallowed her anxiety and sneaked forward silently. When she reached the lamppost, she noticed that it was a poster. Luna read it in her head.


Are you our most wanted? Do you have what it takes to aid our princess and rid our glorious kingdom of the villain Discord? If you think you do, come to the abandoned art gallery rear entrance at 9pm tonight!

Signed,

Sgt. Raider.

Raider? Luna thought to herself. The Captain’s right-hoof man? Is he still alive?
Luna quickly snatched the poster and galloped indoors to inform Celestia of the meeting.


“Celestia! Are you in here?” Luna yelled.

“What in Equestria are you yelling at, Luna?” Celestia answered from the room next to Luna while rubbing her ears in pain.

“Look at this!” Luna said as she thrust the piece of paper towards her sister.

Celestia studied the poster.

"Come on, Luna. We're going." Celestia stated as she trotted out the door.