• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 1,217 Views, 36 Comments

The Origin of a Legacy - QuiteNiceDynamite

  • ...
1
 36
 1,217

A Day in a Kings' life

Discord was exhausted. He had spent his entire morning inspecting his Kingdom to look for signs of unrest or uprising against his minions that protected his towns. No examples of disturbance were found.

Good. Discord thought, the less the ponies that opposed him, the easier it would be to rule Equestria.
To stop such instances like revolution, Discord had returned the sun and moon to their proper cycles in Canterlot and allowed the Canterlot ponies to walk freely in the streets. Many did not venture outdoors because they couldn't trust Discord and thought it was a trap. But Discord felt that he was pleasing the ponies, which made his job so much easier.


As Discord was strolling back to his castle, he wasn't shocked to find the streets empty. Why wouldn't they be? They were afraid of him. Usually, Discord would see at least one pony unaware of his presence, but today, it seemed that Canterlot had been abandoned.

"Where the hell is everypony?" Discord exclaimed loudly, but to no answer.


Discord continued to walk down the streets of his kingdom; again the roads and sidewalks were bare. He looked inside several houses, also void of life. Discord thought about the possibilities:

The day I leave, I return to find empty streets and houses, where could they all have gone?
Have they abandoned the town? I don't care, they aren't needed. They can leave freely as long as I have the Prin-

That's when Discord realised,
"No! They can't take her! She'll return to kill me!"

Discord then teleported to the castle as quick as he could, desperate to arrive before Solaria was released.


When he arrived at the Castle steps, Discord heard the noise of quiet conversation from within. Then he heard a loud crack of metal on brick.

"They're digging down to her!" Discord screamed.

As Discord kicked open the door to the immense Castle Hall, the ponies of Canterlot quickly bolted from the Castle through the back door, leaving their tools.

"You'll never find her! Never!" Discord screamed after the galloping ponies.

The ponies were out of the Castle and safely home by the time Discord reached the back door.

"Damn ponies." He muttered, "I give them what they want, and they repay me by trying to release the only pony who could get rid of me!"


After Discord had finished his rant, he walked over to where the ponies had been digging. He didn't even find a hole anywhere.

"Pah!" Discord laughed. "Typical Canterlotians, always afraid to get their hooves dirty. Where they even trying?” He wondered. And that's when it all came together in his mind.

Firstly, Discord noticed the small chisels on the ground, the ones the ponies dropped. Discord picked one of the tools up. "How would you dig with this little thing? It's practically useless." He chuckled.

Then something on the wall caught Discord's eye.
"Well, hello." He said as he spotted it.
"What's this? It appears to be an inscription."

"Never Forget"

"Never forget? Never forget what?" He asked himself. Then he figured it out.

"The day I leave, the ponies inscribe a message of remembrance on the wall of my castle. Why? What for?"
Discord thought back to the day he arrived. Firstly, he teleported through the Everfree Forest to the outskirts of Canterlot, then he stealthily navigated the streets so as not to be seen until he reached the castle. Next, he stormed the castle and-

"Oh, no." Discord cut in on his thoughts.

Discord started to falter as his smile fell from his face.

"No...no...why?" he pleaded to himself.

He looked at the inscription again.

Never Forget

A lump formed in Discord's throat and his eyes began to twitch. He fell to his knees before the inscription.
His cheeks started to feel damp with tears as he remembered the crime he'd committed and the ponies he'd massacred.

"Why?!" Discord screamed to the heavens.
"They didn't do anything! All those innocent ponies!" Discord continued to bawl as if he'd lost a loved one.

"I killed them." He whimpered, "I killed them all!"

Discord continued to wail until he cried himself to sleep at the foot of the inscription.


Discord awoke later that evening, lying in front of the inscription, his eyes hurting for having cried so much. He had to make it up to them, he could never truly be forgiven for what he'd done, but he needed to do something.

He quietly opened the castle doors to peer outside, he saw nopony except a massive stallion, who walked into the town hall that Discord thought was empty. He was wearing chrome-coloured horse shoes with a golden helmet. It was Captain Steel Hooves.

"Perfect." Discord whispered.


Inside the makeshift hospital, Steel Hooves trotted around the hospital beds to inspect his recovering troops, encouraging them and occasionally assisting the nurses.
Discord tried to raise the Captain's attention when he'd silently teleported inside the hospital, he was stood about 5 metres away from Steel Hooves.

"Captain?" Discord mumbled, looking and sounding ashamed in himself.

"What is it?" Steel Hooves asked without turning around, not realising who it was.

"Captain." Discord said, slightly more forceful than his last attempt, and this time, the Captain turned.

"Discord!" The Captain yelled. "How dare you come here! You've already injured these ponies, are you coming to finish them off? If you want to do that, you'll have to go through me!" Steel Hooves shouted as he started to charge at Discord, followed by many of his soldiers.

Discord halted the Captain and the other soldiers ready to attack him by creating a defensive force field around himself.
The soldiers were stopped where they stood and Discord stated calmly,
"I only wish to talk. All of you. At the Castle. Bring the town."

And with that, Discord departed the hospital with a sad sigh.