• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 884 Views, 40 Comments

Just Another Night At the Bar - Silent Sir 224



A stallion named, Bright Bishop is at his usual bar like he is most days, he doesn't partake in the drinking but enjoys the food and spirits. But, tonight he finds a lonely mare in a melancholy state, he tries to see if he can help her.

  • ...
2
 40
 884

Goodbyes aren't Forever

"Bishop! Bishop wake up!" Twilight shouted.

"Huh? Is something wrong?" he asked groggily.

"Something is very wrong! We're wasting daylight!" She tried pulling him off the couch like a filly on the morning of hearts warming eve.

"What time is it?" the couch potato groaned.

"It's already seven!"

"Seven PM?"

"No silly, seven AM!" She is so lucky she's really cute.

"Can I sleep a little longer?" he asked hopefully.

He felt the couch vanish beneath him before realizing he was lifted three feet off the ground. His request had been denied. "Okay, I'm up. Can I get down now?" He felt the world return beneath him and threw off his blanket as he stood up.

"Sooo, what do you have planned for us today?" Twilight asked excitedly.

"Umm, nothing," he answered simply, rubbing the back of his neck.

"What?"

"Well, I thought that after the plans, a day to relax would be a pleasant change of pace."

"But, that was so amazing, last night was so wonderful! I thought you would have something set up for today, too."

"Twilight, if I did something amazing everyday, it would start getting predictable very quickly, wouldn't it?"

"I guess it would." She sighed.

"Besides, my feet are a little sore after last night," Bishop admitted, sitting back down.

"Oh right, sorry about that," Twilight smile sheepishly.

"Hey, it was worth to see you smile so beautifully."

"I have you to thank for that." She sat down next to him. "In fact, I have a lot to thank you for."

"I didn't do that much."

"Well, let's see. Starting from the beginning, you got that drunk stallion to leave me alone," —she kissed his cheek— "you paid for my meal," —another kiss— "you escorted me to a hotel," —a third kiss— "you let me stay here," —a fourth— "you let me take your bed for the entire week," —a fifth— "you treated me to breakfast, invited me to dinner, twice, and showed me a grand time both times. Need I go on?"

"No, I think that pretty much covers it."

"Oh, I forgot the most important thing!" she gasped.

"Oh yeah? What might that be?" Bishop asked curiously.

Twilight replied by pressing her lips against his softly, heat emanating from her cheeks. "Being one of the best things to happen to me."

"Well, you are the best thing to happen to me," he smiled, "I love you, Twilight."

"I love you, too, Bishop," she rested her head on his shoulder, sighing contently.

"I have an idea, how about we just go out and enjoy the day?"

"What do you mean?"

"We could take a stroll through the park."

"That sounds nice."

"Well, what time are you..." Twilight pushed away before Bishop could finish.

"Tonight," she answered, quietly.

"Hey," —he pulled her close again— "you're going home just a couple hours away, not across the world."

"I know, but, I don't even know when I will see you again." She looked like she was about to start tearing up.

"I do."

"When?" Twilight looked up at him hopefully.

"Oh," Bishop glanced at his hoof as if he had a watch on. "About five days and twelve hours from now," he answered nonchalantly.

"What?" Her eyes widened.

"I will be heading out to Ponyville this Friday," Bishop explained.

"You... you'd do that for me?"

"In a heartbeat," he showed no hesitation in his answer.

"What did I do to deserve someone like you?" she sighed.

"Coming to the city and giving me the chance," he kissed her forehead. "Saving the country a few times didn't hurt, though."

"I wish I came here sooner." Twilight wrapped her hooves around his waist.

"I'm just glad you're here now," Bishop returned her hug.

"I just wish I could stay here..."

"No, don't start that Twilight. You have amazing friends waiting for you back home and I won't let you just leave your whole life behind over me."

"But, how often will I see you?"

"...I don't know. I still have a job that I need to do, but I think I can visit on the weekends. I can't guarantee that I will be there every weekend, but I will try."

"That could work... but I will miss you a lot."

"I will miss you, too, I know it isn't an ideal situation, but we can make it work."

"Maybe, it's just... I've never been in a relationship and long-distance relationships seldom end well."

"It will only be temporary, until one of us comes up with some sort of solution. I have confidence that we can do it," he smiled at her to reinforce his point.

"Yeah... we can figure this out!" Twilight jumped off the couch and disappeared down the hallway. When she returned, she had a massive number of quills and a mile of parchment floating behind her. "Okay, let's get started!"

"Twilight."

"Yes?" She set the materials down on the coffee table and beamed a smile of pure excitement at him. Dear Celestia, what did I just release!?

"We can figure that out later. It will take more than a few hours and I want us to enjoy this day before you need to leave. This is going to be very meticulous to try to find a solution to this problem. Before we have to return to our lives tomorrow, a day to just to enjoy each other's company and relax sounds a bit better, right?"

"I... you're right. I will have plenty of things to do when I return home and this will just be motivation to get those things done."

"Just make sure those other things take priority, okay?"

"Of course, Bishop. Are you suggesting that I will neglect my responsibilities?" she accused.

"What? No, of course not," he defended.

"I never shirk my duties, so don't worry about me." Somehow, that makes me worry.

"Alright, let's put all of those supplies back and have some breakfast."

Twilight returned the parchment and quills to the desk in Bishop's work room, while he went into the kitchen and inspected the pantry and fridge. Based on the food he had, it looked like pancakes would be their breakfast.

"So, what is the chef cooking.up for breakfast?"

"Well... based on the fact I don't keep my home well-stocked, do pancakes sound alright?"

"Nothing sounds better."

"Really? Not even crepes?" Bishop laughed lightly.

"Oh, just make us some pancakes Mr. Comedy."

"That's Mr. Magic." Twilight glared at him for a moment. "What? You set that one up for me."

"Yes, yes I did. Now, can you set up breakfast now?"

That he did, tossing them up in the air from the pan. Had to adjust the flying flapjacks frequently to avoid having them flop on the floor. He tried to make the adjustments as subtle as possible to appear a bit more skillful with cooking. He might have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for one pony.

"-WORST POSSIBLE THING!" A mare screamed from the street below. Said scream decimated Bishop's concentration and caused the pancake he was currently preparing to fly out of the pan. It was on a direct course for Twilight, who was enjoying her stack. Thinking quickly, Bishop created a grey barrier between her and the edible projectile. The projectile hit the barrier and was returned to the pan it flew from, before being placed at the top of a small stack.

"I'll go check downstairs to make sure everything is alright," she announced, making her way out of the apartment quickly before Bishop could reply.

Ahem, way to go brainiac. You assaulted her with a pancake, just let that sink in for a moment. His brain chided, you had to try to be smooth.

Before that train of thought could continue, a knock came from his door. "It's open!" he called. Twilight re-entered, avoiding any eye contact with him. "I'm sorry about that, I lost concentration for a second. Is everything alright outside?"

"Well, uh, that depends..."

"Depends on what?"

"I really hate to ask, but..."

"But?"

"Is it okay if someone joins us for breakfast?"

"Could I get a little more information about this 'someone' before I let them in my home?"

"She's one of my friends from Ponyville."

"Well... sure, it wouldn't sit right to just turn her away after making this trip."

"Thanks Bishop," she walked over to the door. "And also, I'm really sorry." She opened the door and a white flash immediately zipped into the room. It stopped in front of the stallion, revealing that this white flash was a unicorn. They stood a few feet away, two blue eyes attempting to absorb every little detail about him. Their mane and tail were well styled and had a shade of royal blue.

"Uh... hello, my name is Bishop," he greeted. "May I be so bold as to ask who you might be?"

The unicorn began to circle him before replying, like they were examining a cart before deciding to buy it. "My name is Rarity, I was the one who wrote those letters."

"Ah yes, it is good to meet you, Miss Rarity."

She gave no reply, but finished circling him and turned to Twilight, who had taken a seat on the couch. "So, this is him?"

"Rarity, why would I bring you to some random apartment and have some stallion act like Bishop? Yes, this is him."

"There's no need to be so rude about it."

"This coming from the mare who decided to show up unannounced at my coltfriend's home and rate him like they would a dress!" She stood up. "You really couldn't wait for me to come home to start questioning every little detail of my time here?"

"Now Twilight, you and I both know this was bound to happen one way or another ever since you asked me to make you that dress."

"A decision that I'm beginning to regret..." the purple unicorn muttered.

"Okay, may I ask exactly what is going on here?" Bishop asked, standing between the two.

"Nothing worth noting," Rarity answered. "Now, I want to know everything that has happened between you two."

"Well, we were about to eat some breakfast, would you like to eat with us?" he offered.

"Oh no, thank you, I had breakfast already."

"Alright, just tell me if you change your mind," he turned to Twilight. "Would you like to eat out here?"

"If that's alright with you, will you be joining us?"

"Once I finish in the kitchen," he replied. Her plate of food floated lazily out of the kitchen and onto the coffee table. "Bon appetit."

Once in the kitchen, he could pick out bits and pieces of the conversation happening in the other room. Mostly, Rarity's reactions to the tale, especially the laughter that had to have come from his fear of thunderstorms. He sighed heavily, I am never going to hear the end of this, am I? As he left the kitchen with his plate floating above his head, the laughter seemed to stop instantly.

"Oh, Bishop did... did you hear any of that?" Rarity asked.

"I heard you laughing and can assume what it was about."

"I-I have no idea what you mean," she lied, fighting to hold back the smile that was forming.

"Just get it all out now, and please stop trying to deny it. I'd like to think I am smart enough to put two and two together to get four," he stated, stoically.

With that, the white mare starts laughing wildly, if she held back at all it wasn't exactly noticeable. "You're... you're afraid of..."

"Yes, ha ha ha. It's hilarious," he deadpanned, looking over to the other side of the couch to see Twilight snickering.

"I-I'm sorry, it's just infectious," she admitted.

"Well, if it makes you laugh... then I guess it's worth a little grief," he cracked a small smile before joining in the laughter. This lasted for a good five minutes before dying down. He squeezed himself between the two on the couch. "So Rarity, since you know a little bit about me. Why don't you tell me about yourself?"

"Well, I grew up in Ponyville. My parents didn't exactly fit the high society profile so I moved out. I set up a boutique there and have lived there ever since with my best friends. I've become a successful designer and have plenty of clients from all over Equestria. That's all I have to tell." She obviously wanted to hear more about them.

"Interesting," Bishop commented.

"But, back to the topic of you two. Last night; I want to hear from both of you and spare no details," Rarity requested.

The rest of the day was spent discussing each side of the previous night. Rarity was almost crying by the time her curiosity was indeed satisfied. But, the falling sun represented more than just the end of a day, or the end of a week but the end of a week that will not soon be forgotten.

“Come along, dear; we must go. Otherwise we will miss the train back home” Rarity called to Twilight, walking down the street outside the apartments.

“I know,” she called back, before turning to Bishop at the door. “I guess this is goodbye for now,” she sighed solemnly.

“It doesn’t have to be, not yet. We can at least walk to the train station.” Bishop replied.

“Thank you.”

"What kind of coltfriend would I be if I didn't?" he asked.

"A normal one," she answered.

"And who ever said I was normal?" he joked, noticing a little smile creeping on her face.

The two caught up to Rarity and the three of them walked down the street and towards the train station. Twilight rested her head on Bishop’s shoulder. “I’ll miss you,” she whispered to him.

“I’ll miss you more. The apartment will be quiet without you. Heck, the whole city will be quiet without you here.”

After a short eternity, they arrived at the train station. “Time to say goodbye” Bishop said quietly, almost to himself more than the one he was saying goodbye to.

“I don’t want say goodbye either,” Twilight replied.

Rarity noticed see how much this moment was affecting her friend. “I’ll give you two some time,” she stated before disappearing into the train car.

Bishop and Twilight stood there on the platform, both unsure of what to say or do. Eventually, Twilight rushed into Bishops hooves. He held her, never wanting to let go. But like that day, that moment also has to end.

The train whistle blew at a high pitch.

They separated enough to look each other in the eye. “You’ll visit right?” Twilight asked, looking hopefully up into Bishop’s eyes to reconfirm the hope he gave her earlier that day.

“Every weekend. No matter what.” Even if I have to walk the distance with my own four hooves. One final kiss is all they get before Twilight couldn't afford to wait any longer to get on the train.

***

“How did that go?” Rarity asked her friend hesitantly.

“Fine” she said, dejectedly. If I say it enough, maybe it will be true.

“Fine? Twilight, I can tell when you’re lying. How do you feel?”

“Terrible, I can't stand leaving him here. But he said that he will visit every weekend. I know he will.”

“I’m sure he will," Rarity confirmed. "I’m sure he’ll miss you as much as you miss him”

“No, he won’t”

“What makes you say that?”

“He’ll miss me more then I’ll miss him. I have you and the girls and Spike to help keep me occupied. All he has is work and two friends that live in different parts of the city.”

"It will only be five days, Twilight."

"Five days too many..."

***

Bishop walked down the street back to his apartment building. Before entering the building, he looked down the street to the Dragonfire Inn. Maybe some dinner will help, he thought, maybe not. He walked down the street and pushed through the door taking his usual seat, the usual laughter, stories and general good times did nothing to help.

"Mr. Magic, haven't seen you in a few days. I take it Ms. Magic needed some company?" Jimmy laughed lightly, until he realized he was the only one laughing. "Everything alright, Bishop?"

"I would be lying if I said yes. Can I get a beer or something?"

Jimmy was taken aback by the request. "Doesn't alcohol make you puke your guts up or something?"

Bishop didn't answer. "Alright then," he walked into the kitchen and led another pony out. "I need you to handle the bar for a minute, son. I have something to take care of." He walked around the counter and took a seat next to his sulking friend. "Bishop, let's talk out back. A lot less noise there."

Wordlessly, he got up and follows Jimmy through the kitchen and out into the ally. Bishop sat on the steps leading out, while Jimmy leaned against the wall beside the doorway. "Okay, lay it on me. What happened?"

"In a sentence, 'I fell in love' sums it up pretty well."

"Then give me more than a sentence, the new guy might not be experienced but he can hold the fort for a while."

Bishop gave a heavy sigh. "Ms. Magic, that's a cute nickname for her." He was trying to avoid the request.

"Where is she now?"

"Now? She's on a train heading home."

"Okay, now for the hard question, does she love you ba-"

"Yes." Bishop didn't even let him finish the inquiry.

"Well, apparently not as hard as I thought. So, separation issues?"

"Yeah."

"Bishop, love is a crazy and unpredictable thing," Jimmy explained, "but, by Celestia, it's powerful and worth seeking out. Some famous guy said that it was 'better to have loved and lost than not having loved at all'."

"Yeah..."

"Now, when do you plan on seeing her again?"

"What makes you think that I will?"

"You aren't the first guy I talked to about the pain love can inflict. If there was no seeing her again, you would called that famous guy an idiot for believing that." He started to laugh and was relieved to see his friend joining in.

"Well, you're going to need to find someone else to hang out with on the weekends. I'm leaving every Friday and coming back every Sunday, at least until we figure something else out."

"I think I can live with that. Just make sure you send me a wedding invitation."

"You will be one of the first on the list, I promise you that."

"Good, now you gonna have your usual?"

"Actually, I think I'm just gonna head home. I have work in the morning."

"Well then, I will see you tomorrow, my friend."

"Goodnight, Jimmy."

Though, he felt a little better, it was nowhere near enough. Slowly he slumped back to that large building he's called home for the past few years. He walked in and was immediately reduced to the state he was when he watched that train leave the station. Everything in the building reminded him of Twilight. Even the simplest things like the steps was a reminder of the times he carried her up them. The extra tin of coffee he sent her home with, missing from the cabinet. The bed, unmade from her sleeping in it. This is unbearable, I need to get stay somewhere else. At least for tonight, tomorrow I can bury myself in all of the equations and theories I need to.

Heh, I couldn't possibly believe that, no matter how much I want to.

He collapsed onto the couch, his mind refusing any form of peace until he left. He forced himself up and grabbed his alarm clock and walked back down the stairs and onto the street. Of course, even the view of the sun setting fueled his emotions further. It’s twilight now. This is either a sign that things will work, or the world is merely toying with me until I break.

There was only one place he could go. Not that it was much of an improvement but it was better than his home.

After a brisk walk, he found himself in front of the large house with a good number of lights still on.

He walked up to the door and knocked. A few minutes later, Rosa answered the door and became excited. Her excitement was short lived when she saw it was just him.

“Is Niccolo available?”

“Yes he is,” she said in her sweet little voice. “Daddy! Bishop is here!” she shouted in a less than sweet voice.

Niccolo appeared in the doorway, "Bishop? What are you doing here at such a late hour?”

"She left Niccolo, I can't stay there tonight without trying to do something crazy and stupid." He nodded in understanding, and together they walk into his house.

“You can have the guest bedroom.”

“Thank you, my friend, I really appreciate this.”

"Who else would be able to stop you from chasing after her?" he chuckled before leading Bishop into the bedroom.

Bishop just gave a heavy sigh and collapsed onto the bed, placing his alarm clock on the nightstand. Even here, sleep alluded him for a number of hours. But, even when he did obtain it, his dreams refused to give him rest...

Author's Note:

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Lonepone for his help in getting this story more readers and helping me finish this chapter.

This is the official 'end' of the story. But I will have a little epilogue to wrap up.

Comments ( 10 )

I love this story so much. I can't wait to see a sequel!

A few errors I noticed, however. Do with them what you wish.

Ponywille

Fix is a bit obvious here.

five days two many

You used the wrong one here. "Two" should be "too".

3009708 Thanks, but those errors are a byproduct of writing a story at two in the morning. I'm just glad to have readers who can help point them out.

3009714Stayed up till two writing? I love doing that!

3012602 Sleep deprivation shuts off the part of my brain that likes to chastise my work. Screw sleep I gotta write!

I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want MORE! I wish i had as much talent at this as you do but as a reader I was on edge the entire time. Please do more!!!!!!!!!!

3039171 I... I guess the best thing to say here is thank you.

I haven't had someone praise a story to the point of which they would buy it. So uh, thank you so much for the support.

I just read the last chapter again and i squealed like a little girl. I don't know why it did but this cause me so much emotion. I wish the real world could be like that. I again say that i wish for more romance and whatever slice of life is. I am addicted and will be so for a VERY long time. :twilightsmile:

3058553 20 with the mane 6 being around 18-19. That's just my head canon about their ages.

3039573If this was a book, I'd buy it...

It's less than a week shy of a year since the final chapter. Did you forget about the epilogue? Have you changed your mind about writing it? Or have you become like me and just lose focus every time you write? I home I'm not becoming a bad influence... :twilightoops:

Login or register to comment