• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 1,143 Views, 65 Comments

Falling Through - CodenameTobias



When three friends find a rift, it takes them somewhere they could not think possible.

  • ...
6
 65
 1,143

A Royal Conundrum

Blitz felt his mind drift peacefully through the void *poke* as he lay in bed. It was a little piece of bliss to *poke* allow himself the time *poke* without worry or concern about *poke* anything. *poke*

Except for the incessant poking.

Blitz opened his eyes to see a gray hoof hovering just over the center of his brow. As it came down to poke him again, his own hoof shot out from under his blanket and intercepted it with a grab. “Scythe, what are you doing?”

Scythe tugged his hoof away, “Stroke and I crashed here last night and Spike sent me up to tell you breakfast is getting cold. By the way, you're looking really good this morning.”

Blitz sat up in bed and gave Scythe a look, “What did you break and how much did it cost?”

“I didn't break anything, but Twilight got a letter and... well, Spike was pretty into that book,” Scythe said sheepishly,

“Again, what did you break and how much did it cost?”

Scythe waved his hoof, signaling for Blitz to come closer. Taking in an exaggerated breath, he whispered into his ear, “My sanity.”

“Yeah, I don't have the bits to fix that,” Blitz sighed, pulling away.

Scythe cocked his head to the side, “Bits? Bits of what?”

“That's the currency here.”

“Oh, like bitcoins.”

Blitz blinked, “Surprisingly, yes.” He turned his body so his hind legs hung off the bed and looked around the room. It was Twilight's guest room and was relatively plain. There was a desk next to a window and a chest on one side of the room. His guitar sat in the corner next to an empty bookcase. Blitz slid off the bed, leaving his blankets in a mess as he always did, “So what did I miss last night?”

“Well, there was a lot of techno music and that Vinyl girl did a good job on stage. Then Pinkie brought out a huge cake, ate half of it and ended up singing some song on stage,” Scythe recalled, “once that started happening, Stroke and I decided to call it night. We came over here, found you asleep and slept downstairs for the night. Just in case.”

“You're concern is appreciated,” Blitz said as he walked towards the door. Scythe followed him through the door and the two made their way downstairs.

As they arrived in the main room, Twilight was busy levitating various supplies into her bags, her eyes screamed panic as she packed. Stroke trotted over, “Morning sleepy-head.”

“Morning,” Blitz looked over at Twilight, “what's up with her?”

“She got a letter this morning, apparently the Princess wants to meet us and... well,” Stroke gestured to the panicked mare.

“Let me guess, locked up where we're banished to?”

“I hope they put us through tests, I love tests,” Scythe casually remarked.

Twilight's head snapped in their direction, “Is that sarcasm?”

“No, I'm being completely serious,” Scythe deadpanned, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

“You think this is just a test!? JUST A TEST!?” Twilight yelled, “The Princess is obviously looking to see if you three are well mannered and can function in our society without stirring up chaos. If she doesn't think you're fit she's going to banish you, or lock you-”

“Twilight,” Stroke interjected, “I need you to calm down.”

“Calm down? How can I calm down!? If any of you slip up do you know what will happen!?”

“To the moon?” Blitz asked, walking into the kitchen.

Stroke shot a look in his direction before turning back to Twilight, “Ignore him. Just remember what over-stressing got you before.”

After a moment of thought, Twilight bowed her head. “You're right, it's gotten me nothing but trouble,” she sighed.

“And don't worry, I know when to keep my mouth shut,” Scythe added.

“Even when he doesn't show it,” Blitz shouted from the kitchen.

Scythe shot a look in his direction, opening his mouth before deciding against his comeback and closing it. “So how are we getting to the castle anyways?”

“We're taking the train,” Twilight explained, levitating up four tickets, “it's the fastest way to Canterlot.”

“I like trains,” Scythe smiled. There was a moment of silence as his head scanned the room, “Well, it was worth a shot.”

Blitz walked out of the kitchen eating an apple, seeing Twilight give him a confused look. “Don't question it,” he mouthed. She then looked to Stroke who merely shrugged.

“So should we get going then?” Blitz asked, “The sooner the better.”

Twilight nodded, “Yeah, let's get going.”

With that Stroke retrieved her bag and Blitz tossed his core into a nearby garbage can as they left the library. Twilight stuck her head back inside, “SPIKE! We're headed out!”

“Have fun!” he called back.

They then headed for the train station.

On The Train

The clicking of the wheels against the tracks resounded through the train car. Blitz took a window seat, leaning his head against the glass to feel the vibrations travel through his skull. Stroke took the other window seat and had her sketchbook and pencil in her magic. She was busy drawing a picture of the mountain. Scythe read through a Daring Do novel that Stroke had brought along. For the most part, the trip was met in silence before Twilight spoke, “Okay, I need to run all of you through potential questions the Princess may ask.”

Scythe looked up from his book, “We'll be fine Twilight.”

“Not with your behaviour, now question one...”

Twilight then launched into a question period with Scythe, but it went anything but well. Scythe seemed to get more annoyed with each question. His answers became more and more sarcastic, causing Twilight to show her irritation. It eventually got to a point where Scythe slammed his book shut, drawing the attention of a few other ponies in the car, “Dammit, Twilight. We'll burn this bridge when we cross it!”

Her face was turning red with anger. “I'm trying to give you the chance to say the right things and with an attitude like that, I doubt you'll last long into questioning.”

The two began to bicker amongst themselves as Stroke leaned over to Blitz, “They sound like an old married couple, don't they?”

Blitz gave her a smile, “And to think, I gave them two months before they broke it off.”

Scythe caught onto their words. “You know what honey,” he smiled, looking to Twilight, “we shouldn’t say anything we may regret in front of the kids.” He gestured towards Blitz and Stroke as he said that. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’m going to go on this side because it uses less words!”

“And that’s my cue to talk to him,” Stroke sighed, as she returned her materials to her bag, “see you in Canterlot.” With that she trotted over and took a seat next to Scythe, who was once again indulged in his book.

“Is he always like this?” Twilight asked.

“You have no idea,” Blitz grumbled.

“So what are your plans?”

“Hm?” Blitz turned his attention to Twilight, “What do you mean by that?”

“I mean, what are you going to do for the long term? I know you’re getting a job at city hall, but what about the long term? I mean, aren’t going to miss your family and friends?”

Blitz sighed, the gravity of the situation just hitting him. You haven’t thought of it, have you?

“Well Twi’, it’s the same plan as back home,” he explained, “I’ll get over being homesick, can’t dwell on the past, you know? I guess I’ll get a job, buy a house, have drinks with Scythe, do art with Stroke, wait off a deal, meet a nice mare, get married, have some kids and retire to spend the rest of my days wondering how life went for everyone else back home.”

“And if you can go home?”

“Then I’ll have no choice but to go when Scythe drags me back by my wings,” he chuckled.

“Well it seems you have it thought through,” Twilight said, mentally checking a box in her mind, “now what about them?” She gestured to the others.

Blitz looked over to where his friends were sitting to see them having a small arguments of their own, “We’ll be lucky if they have any sanity by the end of this.”

“Really Scythe?” Stroke said, her tone filled with annoyance, “You really want to bring THAT up? I thought we got over this whole ‘killing yourself’ thing!”

“Oh great, this again,” Blitz thought to himself.

“I’m just saying that there’s a possibility. You don’t know after all,” Scythe argued, “We could be in comas and that’s why we’re here.”

“Scythe, you know how we got here!”

“You should probably break that up,” Twilight said.

“No need,” Blitz replied. The two watched on for a few minutes before Scythe and Stroke regressed to a quiet conversation.

“What? How?” Twilight asked.

Blitz shrugged, “They do this all the time, after a while you just accept it.”

After that he train ride continued quietly, until the conductor came into the car. “Next stop! Canterlot Royal Station!”

“That’s our stop,” Twilight smiled.

As the train pulled into the station, Blitz took notice to the large number of guards awaiting the train. “They brought out the welcoming committee, not good,” he whispered.

The others took notice as well, as Stroke and Scythe came back over. “What the hell is this?” Scythe asked.

“It’s probably just an escort,” Twilight reassured.

That’s a lot of guards for an escort.

The four made their way off the train, as they did a large, white unicorn in purple armour ran up, “Twily!”

“Shining!” Twilight squealed. The siblings ran over to each other and met with a hug, “What are you doing here?”

Shining’s face turned slightly serious, “We were sent to meet these ‘humans’ you told Celestia about. Where are they?”

“Oh they’re here,” Twilight gestured to the three, “These ponies Blitz, Scythe and Stroke, formerly humans known as Roman, Draco and Shontia.”

“Really?” Shining asked, his face skeptical.

“Yep!”

The air grew heavier as Blitz tensed his wings, “Damn.”

Stroke looked over to her companions, “Calm down, this could be a friendly escort.”

“Roman, Draco and Shontia, you are all under arrest by order of Princess Celestia,” Shining ordered, pushing Twilight aside, “You all have the right to remain silent.”

The guards stepped forward before Scythe spoke up, “WAIT!” The guards stopped as Scythe put a hoof into the air and pointed at them, “We are not the humans you’re looking for.” His comment was met with every spearhead being pointed at him and his friends. On instinct, Stroke and Scythe hid behind Blitz.

“Why do I have to be the pincushion?” he whispered behind his back.

“Because you’re the tallest,” Scythe hissed.

“No offense Blitz,” Stroke added meekly.

“Come on, no funny business,” Shining urged.

Blitz nodded, seeing no definite escape and walking forward. Scythe and Stroke followed close behind as guards took positions on either side and behind them before beginning their march through the city. Twilight trotted next to her brother, her face adorned with a look of confusion.

“Shining, why are you doing this?” she asked.

“The Princess considers these three to be threats to national security. Ponies or not, they are still foreign to this land and need to be dealt with.”

“Ever been called a terrorist?” Blitz muttered under his breath, barely even audible.

The three were given odd looks as they were paraded through the city. Blitz lowered his head to avoid drawing attention, causing Scythe and Stroke to do the same. Twilight couldn’t find any words, these ponies were her friends, they didn’t mean any harm... right? Shining’s demeanor remained unchanged, he was a co-ruler and captain of the guard, he could not afford to be swayed by emotion.

The heavy air lingered as the escort arrived at the castle. Some of the guards broke off, returning to their normal duties. Blitz looked around, they were in the castle courtyard, but there was no time to sightsee as the trio was quickly ushered inside. The pristine walls of Canterlot Castle quickly passed by as they moved forward. Guards continued to leave the formation, having more important things to do now that the job had been done. Coming up to a pair of large doors, the last two guards took their positions on either side as Shining Armour opened the doors and lead the three and Twilight into the throne room.

Sitting on her throne was Princess Celestia, her face was neutral as she was brought the foreigners. Twilight was lead aside by Shining as Celestia looked down at the three ponies standing before her, “So you three are the ones who arrived in Equestria.”

Scythe simply stared as Stroke shifted uncomfortably on her hooves. Blitz, still at the front of the group, took a step forward and stood tall. “Yes, we are,” he responded.

“Really? I expected you all to have a different appearance.”

“So Twilight forgot to inform you of our condition?” he asked, looking over to the mare in question.

“As it would seem. Now tell me, why have you come to our land?”

“W-we jumped into a rift,” Stroke said.

“A rift?”

“A link between dimensions,” Blitz explained. “I entered first, followed by Scythe and then Stroke.”

Celestia nodded, “So tell me about yourselves.”

Scythe narrowed his eyes, “We come here to get interrogated like criminals and she wants a friendly conversation? What gives?”

“We were all students,” Blitz continued, “little more than average teenagers at best.” He looked over to Scythe, his friend was silent for too long, which was rarely a good sign.

“Speak for yourself Rome,” he broke his silence, “we all had bright futures ahead of us.” Blitz and Stroke shot a glance to him, his voice was venomous.

“Really?” Celestia raised a brow.

“Yeah, now if you are such a great and powerful goddess, I bet you’re holding out on us and know how to send us home. So if you don’t want us here so badly, why not send us home?”

“Scythe, shut up,” Stroke murmured.

“And why should I?”

“Because you’re not helping our case,” Blitz replied calmly.

“Well there has to be someone- er, pony who will!” Scythe retaliated, looking over to Twilight who averted her gaze.

“Please Twilight, help us,” Stroke whispered. The only response she got was Twilight shaking her head sadly.

Celestia stared at the three. Twilight appeared to lack faith in them. The change in demeanor between Scythe and Stroke was proof enough that they would break, but Blitz remained tall and calm. Deciding to put an end to this, she sighed through her nose and spoke, “I wish there was a way to return the three of you to your homeworld. However, there is no possible means of sending you back.”

“We found that in our research,” Blitz nodded, “we are prepared to spend as much time here as needed if that is the case.”

“I’m sorry, but it won’t be.”

This caught their attention, as Scythe and Stroke stopped looking at Twilight and turned their attention Celestia. “I’m afraid that I must deem you all unfit to live in Equestria.”

All eyes turned to her. Stroke and Scythe stood with their jaws hanging as Blitz’ eyes widened slightly. Even Shining Armour found the words unsettling. “And what do you mean by that?” Blitz asked.

“What I mean is that based off of your actions before me, as minimal as they may be, along with the information sent to me by Twilight Sparkle, I can only consider each of you a danger to my nation.”

There was a moment of silence before Scythe began to chuckle, which escalated to laughter. “Oh, I get it. The universe has some sick and twisted sense of humour, doesn’t it? It makes life in our reality so boring that we can’t stand it and escape to another, only to learn that we can’t stay where we want in this one. You know what? I think banishment would be much better than living in a society of such prejudice,” he ranted.

Blitz stared blankly at Scythe while Stroke’s hoof met her face. “It’s not as simple as that,” Celestia stated.

“How so?” Stroke asked, unsure if she wanted an answer.

Celestia bowed her head and closed her eyes, “Due to the potential threat that you pose to not just Equestria, but to all lands, I’m afraid I cannot allow you to wander this planet. Guards!”

The guards that were standing by the door came over as Shining Armour joined them. They each took a spot behind a pony. “What the hell?” Blitz remarked as Shining took his position behind him.

Celestia stood from her throne and walked forward, “Due to the threat that each of you pose, I have no choice but to execute you personally.”

“You can’t do that!” Blitz objected, “We’re on your side! We mean no harm!”

His outburst was met by Shining striking him on the back of the head, knocking him to his knees, “Quiet you!”

Scythe looked to the side to see a guard prepare to strike Stroke, “DON’T YOU TOUCH HER!” He was met with a strike of his own as Stroke’s guard pushed her down, rather than with a strike.

Twilight looked on in shock as Celestia walked up to Blitz, her horn glowing with a golden aura. “Any last words?”

“You can’t do this!”

Celestia raised a brow, unimpressed by these words of desperation. “And why not?”

“Because... because...”

“Roman, say something,” Stroke urged.

“Because... we’re... refugees!” Blitz concluded.

“Refugees?” Celestia repeated, unsure of what he meant.

Scythe caught on, “Yeah, refugees. We’re stuck here with no way of returning to our homeland.”

“And we can’t return, otherwise we will face attacks from the government due to our current appearance,” Stroke added, “We’ll become nothing more than subjects to be experimented on.”

They each straightened themselves from their kneeling position. The guards stepped back as Celestia’s horn lost it’s glow and her eyes were met by the trio’s.

“We don’t care what you think, but we are humans. We adapt to anything that comes at us, it’s our common nature,” Blitz said, “and I can surely guarantee you that we will blend into this society.”

“And trust me when I say that there are a lot worse humans that could have ended up here. You lucked out to get us, three semi-sane teenagers rather than a group of crazy adults,” Stroke assured.

Celestia looked down upon the three foreigners. There was a light in each of their eyes that told her everything that she needed to know. Her stern expression turned to a motherly smile. “Alright then, you all may stay,” she smiled, “but only if you stay in Ponyville with Twilight and her friends, and they send reports on how you all are adapting to your new lives.”

They looked to Twilight, who trotted over and nodded, “Isn’t that the plan?”

“Pretty much,” Scythe nodded.

Celestia smiled again. “Good, I welcome you all to Equestria with open hooves. As for your documents, these guards shall help you with that,” she explained, gesturing to the two guards that had stepped back. “Now off you go, I have important matters to attend to.”

With that they were escorted from the throne room as Celestia sighed quietly to herself.

Later on the train...

Blitz gazed out the window at the castle. He and his friends were relieved that they were not going to be banished or executed, but there was still something bothering him about the whole ordeal.

“Blitz!”

He snapped out of his trance to see Twilight and his friends staring at him. “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You don’t look it,” Stroke commented.

Blitz shifted in his seat, “I just can’t help but feel that went too well.”

“So I wasn’t the only one who saw it,” Scythe remarked, “What do you she’s hiding?”

Blitz turned his stare back out the window as the train pulled out of the station. “I don’t know,” he sighed, “but knowing Celestia, it must be something big.”



Meanwhile on a balcony high above Canterlot, Celestia watched as the train carrying her student and new citizens left the city. A gentle flapping of wings came from behind her, causing her to look over her shoulder to find that Luna had arrived. The moon goddess trotted up to her sister, “Good afternoon ‘Tia.”

“Luna, what are you doing up so late?”

“I was concerned about the ones that Twilight Sparkle described in her letters. Did they really look like shaved apes?”

Celestia laughed lightly, “Actually, they became ponies.”

“Really?” she looked at Celestia with concern in her eyes, “Tell me, do you think they are the ones?”

Celestia looked back over the horizon. “For now, I am not sure. But if this truly comes to pass, I can only hope that they are capable to handle it.”

Author's Note:

Starting Monday I have a massive project in English that will take more than a month to complete, most of which will be done on my own free time. Not sure how this will effect production.

~Tobias