• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 1,143 Views, 65 Comments

Falling Through - CodenameTobias



When three friends find a rift, it takes them somewhere they could not think possible.

  • ...
6
 65
 1,143

Meetings

“... so he lost two good friends that he had made on the adventure, but he managed to do the impossible and avenge them by stopping the 'necromancer god',” Scythe finished explaining as they walked into the town.

“That's a pretty depressing ending,” Twilight commented.

“Well it's supposed to be. It's suppose to give the message of whether or not everything is really worth it in the end.”

As the four ponies made their way into town, Twilight had asked Scythe to tell her one of his stories. It was a tale that Blitz had heard countless times to the point where he had joined in, acting out parts with Scythe for dramatic effect.

“Well I'm impressed.”

Coming up on town square they saw an obvious sight, a two tone of pink mare with light blue eyes trotting their way. As Blitz and Stroke managed to keep their smiles at bay, Scythe began to seize up.

Twilight took notice to the approaching mare, “That's my friend Pinkie Pie, I'll have to warn you, she can be a bit...”

“Pinkie?” Stroke asked. Twilight nodded. By this time, Scythe had frozen in place and began to whimper quietly. “Scythe, are you okay?”

His response was another whimper, causing Stroke to turn to Blitz. “What's up with him?” she whispered.

Blitz looked away from her sheepishly. “Well, a buddy and I kinda talked him into reading 'Cupcakes' and well,” he whispered back, gesturing to Scythe.

Stroke looked at him as if he were insane. “Why did you make him read that?”

“Because it was hilarious.”

Stroke's looked changed to one that read “we'll discuss this later” as Pinkie came up to them. After a brief moment of staring between the two parties, she leapt up and hovered in the air for a few seconds with an over exaggerated gasp. As she did this, Blitz and Stroke expected her to run off, but were instead met with a barrage of words.

“HiI'mPinkiePiewhatareyournamesI'veneverseenyouherebeforewhichmeansyou'renewandifyou'renewthatmustmeanthatyoumustnothavemanyfriendsbutyou'rehangingoutwithTwilightandeachotherwhichmeansyoumustbefriendsbutyou'restillnewwhichmeansIhavetothrowyouapartysobye!”

In a cloud of dust the pony had ran, leaving the them to take in what just happened. Scythe's whimpering had quieted down, but he seemed a few minutes off of unfreezing.

“Well that was...” Stroke started.

“Peculiar?” Blitz finished.

Stroke nodded, “Let's go with that.”

Twilight looked at Scythe as he blinked, “You okay?”

He shook his head, “Yeah, I'll live.”

Blitz raised a brow at Scythe, “You know, there's nothing to be afraid of.”

“How do you know that?”

“Because it's just a story. I mean, I doubt we're going to be baked into cupcakes, experimented on, made into a dress and tuxes, turned into rainbows, or reach our third strike.”

Twilight stared at the pegasus, “What!?”

He looked at her and shrugged, “Long story, good stories.”

Twilight turned to the others, “Any idea?” Stroke shook her head and Scythe whimpered again.

The rest of the walk to Carousel Boutique was in silence. Upon reaching the front door, Twilight stopped the group, “I'll have to warn you guys, Rarity can be a bit picky when it comes to a pony's appearance.”

“Yay,” Scythe grumbled.

The bell rang as the door opened and they stepped inside. “Just a minute,” a preppy voice singsonged from upstairs. Blitz looked over at Scythe, seeing that his friend would not be enjoying this encounter. A few seconds later a light gray, almost white unicorn with a curled, dark purple mane descended the stairs.

“Twilight, how nice to see you. And who are your friends?”

“Karmesin Blitz,” he smiled, “a pleasure to meet you.” With that he trotted over to Rarity and took her hoof in his, kissing it before stepping back to his friends.

A light blush came over Rarity's face, “Oh my, you are quite the gentlecolt, Karmesin.”

Scythe elbowed his friend with an annoyed look on his face as Stroke spoke, “I'm Brush Stroke.”

“And I'm Silver Scythe.”

“We were wondering if you could take a look at fitting their jackets,” Twilight explained.

“Well I must say, they look much too large for you,” Rarity replied, gesturing to how Blitz' trenchcoat's sleeves were dragging along the ground. “How did they get to be that big?”

“Well...”

One Full Recap Later...

“Oh my, how awful,” Rarity consoled.

“Yeah, stuck in a foreign universe with nothing but the clothes on our back, so to speak,” Blitz chuckled.

“Well then, let's see about getting these fitted.” With that she levitated the jackets away from their owners. She examined Stoke's and Blitz', admiring the designs and how it complimented their looks. Upon laying eyes on Scythe's hoodie, Rarity visibly recoiled in disgust. “You go around wearing this!?” she asked him.

“Yeah, it's my favourite hoodie,” Scythe replied.

Rarity shook her head and returned the others to their owners. “I cannot allow you to go wandering around Ponyville in such a crime against fashion. I shall dispose of it for you,” she said, walking away with the hoodie in her magic.

“What!? No!” In an instant Scythe sprung forward, grabbing the article of clothing in his teeth.

Rarity turned to him in surprise, “And why not?”

“Becaush it'sh mine!” he shouted back.

With that the pair broke out into a tug of war while hurling insults at each other. Blitz and Stroke were left snickering at the debate as their friend struggled to keep his only piece of home from being thrown away.

“...and doth mother know you weareth her drapesh?” Scythe yelled.

“That happened once when I ran out of material!” Rarity retaliated, “And don't even get me stated with that rat's nest you call a mane.”

“You are NOT toushing my hair!”

Hair's involved, better end this, a voice spoke as a loud ripping came from the hoodie.

“NO! Let go now! Before it ripsh!”

“Only if you let me fix your dreadful looks.”

“NEVER!”

Twilight finally spoke up, “Rarity, please just leave him be. They've been through a lot today.”

"Fine," Rarity sighed as she released her magical grip on the hoodie.

"WOAH!" Scythe yelled as he flew across the room landing in a pile of fabric and poniquins. As his head came up from the pile, Scythe quietly mumbled something about revenge.

“Alright then Karmesin, shall we get started?” Rarity asked, gesturing to the fitting stand.

“Sure,” he replied, slipping on his jacket.

Twilight followed Blitz and Rarity as they went to fix his jacket. Stroke turned to Scythe, “You alright?” she asked.

“Fine! Never been better!” he replied with an obviously fake smile.

She sighed as she lifted some of the fabrics and poniquins off of him with her magic. “Look I get your not happy about being here, but can you please lighten up?”

Scythe looked at Stroke. Seeing a faint smile on her lips, his face softened, “Alright, I'll try.”

“And done!”

The pair looked over to the stage to see that Blitz' sleeves had been slightly pulled back and pinned to make them shorter. Rarity levitated the jacket off of Blitz as Scythe spoke. “What did you do, go straight to ludicrous speed?” he asked.

Rarity looked at Scythe with some annoyance on her face. “Silver, would you kindly put on your rag and step up?”

Scythe obediently moved out of the pile and walked up to the stand while putting his hoodie on. Blitz walked back over to Stroke. The two watched their Scythe's fitting in silence for a while as light cursing and “Ows” came from him. “You think he'll make it?” he asked.

Stroke exhaled through her nose, “It may take a while, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.”

“Just don't question anything, it helps speed things up.”

Stroke nodded as Rarity finished putting pins into the hoodie and levitating it off of Scythe. The stallion hopped off of the stand and scrambled over to his friends. “Stroke, shall I do yours now?”

Stroke walked over to Rarity and Twilight, leaving Blitz and Scythe watching. “So what the hell was with you kissing her hoof like that?”

Blitz looked to his friend, “It's called being a gentlema...er...colt. Something that you might struggle to understand.”

“Well don't get too cozy with the locals, you got that?”

Blitz let out a chuckle, “Okay, I'll tone it down, but if I'm approached I can't be held responsible.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Mares outnumber stallions here.”

“Really?” Scythe's gaze shifted to Stroke.

Blitz took notice, “What, you think you have a better shot here?”

“You never know,” he replied, somewhat lost in thought.

Blitz chuckled again, “You do your thing, I'll do mine.”

Scythe snapped out of his thoughts and looked at Blitz, “About that. We're going to get out of here one way or another. So unless you expect to have one of them come with us you best not... What's the word I'm looking for?”

“Mingle?” Blitz suggested.

“Right, don't mingle with locals.”

“So no...”

“Damn it Rome, you cannot date the ponies. We clear?”

Blitz rolled his eyes. “Crystal,” he tapped a hoof to his chin, “but only under a five year multiverse clause.”

Scythe tilted his head in confusion, “A what?”

“You know.”

“No I don't, tell me.”

Blitz sighed, “I'll agree to not get involved in anything romantic, but if we spend more than five years here without a way home, the deal's off. Fair?” He put up his hoof.

“Fair,” Scythe agreed, bumping his own hoof against Blitz', making the agreement official.

Meanwhile, Stroke stood on the pedestal as Rarity stuck pins into her jacket. “So do you and your friends have any living arrangements?” Rarity asked.

Stroke shook her head, “We haven't figured anything out yet, why do you ask?”

Rarity rolled a sleeve back with her magic, “Well you three are new here and I can't bear to think of you all having to sleep in the cold streets. I'd be happy to take one of you in.”

“Oh, do you have anyone in mind?”

“Well...” Rarity took a quick glance towards Blitz.

Stroke noticed this, “If that means what I think it does, you'd better try somewhere else.”

Rarity's face turned to one of embarrassment, “Oh, so he's...”

Stroke shook her head again, “No no, Blitz is straight, it's just that he rarely ever talks about relationships.”

“And why's that? He seems so nice.”

Stroke sighed, “Back on our world, girls can be really shallow. Blitz has some serious self-esteem issues, he does well on hiding it though.”

Twilight looked over at the stallion, who was chuckling at Scythe. “I don't see it,” she remarked, “he seems so happy.”

Stroke looked over at Blitz. “The loneliest people can be the kindest. The saddest people sometimes smile the brightest. The most damaged people are filled with wisdom. All because they do not wish the pain they've endured on another soul,” she explained.

Twilight and Rarity stared at her for a moment. “That's so poetic,” Rarity said, “did you think of that?”

“I didn't,” Stroke replied, “Blitz found it somewhere, said it represented him well.”

Rarity turned her attention to the other sleeve, “So would you like to stay with me then?”

“Hm?”

“You need a place to stay as well, so would like to stay here?”

Twilight spoke up, “And if you want I can teach you some magic, you obviously have the aptitude.”

Stroke looked at the mares for a moment before nodding with a grateful smile, “Sure, thank you.”

“Marvelous,” Rarity exclaimed, “I'll have a bed ready later tonight.” With that the final pin went into the sleeve. “And finished.”

Stroke came off the stand as Rarity carefully levitated the pinned jacket off of her. “Hey guys!” The two looked over at her, “I'm going to be staying at Rarity's, okay?”

“Cool.”

“Alright.”

With that she walked with Twilight back over to Scythe and Blitz. “I will finish tailoring your coats and have them ready for sometime within the week,” Rarity explained, “free of charge, my way of saying welcome to our universe.”

“Thank you kindly,” Blitz smiled.

“Yeah, thanks,” Scythe agreed. “It had better not be pink when I get it back,” he added under his breath.

With that the four left the boutique. “So what do you guys want to do now?” Twilight asked.

“Well I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind getting some lunch,” Blitz said, hovering overhead. On cue, Stroke and Scythe's stomachs growled in agreement.

“We haven't had anything to eat since we left,” Stroke added.

“There's a cafe just down the road,” Twilight explained, leading the group, “it's not too special, but the food's good.”

“Sweet, Equestrian cuisine!” Blitz grinned as he landed beside his friends.

“TWILIGHT!” a voice half-yelled half-whispered.

The group looked back to see a pale yellow mare with a long, light pink mane and tail trotted towards them. “Twilight, I'm so glad I found you,” the mare said, ignoring Scythe, Stroke and Blitz and going right up to her friend. “I heard that there were these weird animals wandering around town with you and Rainbow Dash, but when I went to the library Spike said you went to the hospital to visit one of them, but when I got there the nurse said an odd pony checked it out and-”

“Ahem,” Scythe coughed.

The mare turned to see three ponies looking at her. Her shyness immediately took over as she hid behind her mane, letting out a few squeaks as if she were trying to speak.

How's the heart holding up?

She cannot take much more Captain!

As Blitz stared blankly into space, Stroke walked over to the mare. “Hello, my name's Brush Stroke, what's yours?”

“Um... I'm Fluttershy.”

“I'm sorry, what was that?”

“My name is Fluttershy.”

With her voice now within hearing range, Stroke gave a warm smile, “It's very nice to meet you Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy brushed her mane off her face and returned a small smile. “It's nice to meet you too, are you and your friends new to town?”

“Well you could say that.” Stoke leaned in close. “We were the animals seen wandering around town.”

Fluttershy's eyes went wide, “Really? What happened?”

“Magic, doesn't need much explaining,” Blitz said, stepping up. “Karmesin Blitz.”

“Scythe, Silver Scythe,” he added.

“We were just on our way to lunch,” Twilight explained, “would you like to join us?”

“Oh I'd love to, if that's okay with you...

Scythe raised a brow, “But she just-”

Blitz looked to his friend, “Don't question it.”

With that they walked to the cafe, explaining their situation and how they knew about Equestria. At first Fluttershy seemed a bit unsettled about others viewing their lives, but relaxed somewhat when she learned that she was a popular character. Arriving at the cafe, they were seated at an outdoor table. “So how are you all adjusting?” Fluttershy asked.

Blitz looked at his menu, “Well I think we can all agree that walking on four legs, using magic and flying is odd, but not much of a challenge. It comes down to whether or not we can stomach the food.”

“Well let's see,” Scythe pondered aloud, opening his menu to find that it was in English. “What the?” “Don't question it.” With that he began to read through his menu while the others did theirs. “An LT? Where's the B?”

Fluttershy looked up from her menu, “What would the B stand for?”

“Bacon.”

Stroke looked at him, “Scythe, we're pretty much herbivores right now.”

“So, no meat?”

“Nope,” Blitz quipped, not looking up from his menu.

“You three ate meat!?” Fluttershy exclaimed.

Blitz looked around as eyes from other tables turned to them.

Twilight quickly managed to settle her friend, “They weren't carnivores Fluttershy, they were omnivores.”

Chalk one up to Stroke.

“Fine, I'll go vegan for now,” Scythe muttered, “but when we get back I'm having a barbeque that will make all of PETA's efforts futile.”

A unicorn waiter then came over to the table, “Good day sirs and madams, what will you be having today?”

Scythe scanned over his menu again, “I'll have a... jalapeno sandwich. No meat, so I'm going with spice.”

“He'll have some milk with that,” Blitz added, eliciting an annoyed look from Scythe. “I'll have a hayburger and fries.”

The waiter jotted down the two orders, “And for the ladies?”

“A garden salad please,” Stroke said.

“I'll have one too,” Fluttershy agreed.

“Make it three.”

With that the waiter gathered the menus and took the order inside.

“So what are the animals like on your planet?” Fluttershy asked after a few minutes of silence.

“Delicious,” Scythe replied with an evil grin.

Fluttershy began to whimper as Blitz made his comeback. “Ignore him, I need to remind Pinkie to make him some of her special rainbow cupcakes.”

With a thud Scythe landed on the ground whimpering, “I'm sorry,” over and over again.

Stroke made a note to deal with the guys later before giving Fluttershy a proper response. “Well they take care of themselves like in the Everfree, and our plants and weather act the same way. A lot of humans also have pets,” she explained.

With that the waiter came back to the table with plates in his magic, “Sirs... sir? And madams, your lunch.” The waiter left after the five voiced their thank and began to dig in. Blitz found it surprising how hay had a nice flavour despite being dried grass, while Scythe extinguished his tongue with the milk his friend put in for him. Stroke quietly munched on her salad, using a fork with her magic as Twilight was demonstrating.

After lunch, Twilight paid, claiming it was her treat and Fluttershy went back on her way after Scythe said one more “I'm sorry”. “So what now guys?” Twilight asked.

The friends looked at each other. “Library?” Stroke suggested.

The others nodded in agreement. “There's got to be something on a way home,” Scythe commented.

“Alright, do you two know the way back?” she asked Blitz and Stroke, getting a nod form each of them. “Good, you guys head back there and I'll go run a few errands. I also had Spike make up some beds if you two want to stay there for while you're here,” she explained.

“Thanks Twi', I appreciate it.”

“Same,” Scythe agreed.

With that they went their separate ways, with Stroke leading the way, Scythe at her side and Blitz casually flying above them. Arriving back at the library, Blitz landed before entering.

Spike greeted them inside, “Sorry you three, Twilight's out at the moment. Are you new to Ponyville?”

“Spike, it's us. Shontia, Roman and Draco,” Stroke replied.

“Really what-”

“Shenanigans,” Scythe interjected, “listen, can you help us find some books?”

“Sure, what do you need?”

“Everything on physics, magic and folklore,” Blitz landing next to his friends, “we have a lot of work to do.”

Author's Note:

Sorry if this chapter feels a bit off. So the next chapter may take some time because I have a lot of English work ahead (Highschool, am I right?), so just a heads up.

Also: Points to whoever can name the five fics that Blitz used to scare Scythe.

~Tobias