• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 1,143 Views, 65 Comments

Falling Through - CodenameTobias



When three friends find a rift, it takes them somewhere they could not think possible.

  • ...
6
 65
 1,143

Prologue: Departures

Between Universe A and B

It shifted. In all it's infinite lifetime, for whatever reason, the universe shifted. It was slight on scale, not enough for any of its countless lifeforms to notice any changes physically. However the shift caused a crack, a small break in space and time, connecting A with B. Placed in a forest of A, set on the ground for any unwilling being to fall into.

That is, if they didn't jump.

Meanwhile...

Universe A
Earth, North America, Canada

In a small forest set in an urban surrounding, quiet could be found on a regular day. The peace and tranquility in a large city was usually unheard of, but it was a comfort to some to escape into the trees and follow the paths to their destination.

On this particular day, however, the quiet was broken by two friends. Two boys locked in the heat of debate as their female companion watched the pair fight it out.

“...and I'm telling you, Draco, Master Chief would beat Samus in a Death Battle!”

“Really Roman? Samus could just freeze the Chief, and boom, battle over!”

The taller boy scrunched his face at this and determined his comeback. “The Chief has a bubble shield, that thing prevents all projectiles from passing through,” he smirked.

Roman was the tallest of the three, standing a few inches taller than his friends. The boy had dark brown hair, dull green eyes and sported a white t-shirt, faded blue jeans and his favourite black trench coat.

“Yeah, well Master Chief has a limited supply on him, Samus has all her weapons at her disposal, ready to go,” Draco replied quickly.

Draco stood an inch or two below Roman. His sandy brown hair was a mess, as per his look, and his dark brown eyes dared Roman to respond. He wore dark blue jeans, a black t-shirt and a faded black hoodie with grey and red plaid.

Roman turned to the girl and motioned to Draco, “Can you believe this guy, Shontia?”

The girl shook her head, “Nope, I'm staying out of this one.” Shontia stood at Draco's height, her slightly curled hair being a dark blonde and her eyes a brown similar to Draco's. She was dressed in a black sweater with regular jeans and a light, black jacket. Shontia was also carrying her ever present blue bag, filled with all of her various art supplies.

The boys looked at one another as Roman sighed, “Okay, since this obviously going nowhere; agree to disagree?”

Draco nodded and stretched out his hand, “Agreed,” he said as Roman shook it, “beats you talking about ponies.”

“You are not going to let that go are you?” Roman laughed.

Both being bronies, Roman and Shontia knew where their friend was coming from. After losing a bet, Draco had to watch the first two episodes, sparking an interest in Roman to try it himself. While Drake didn't find himself a fan, Roman did and was surprised when he learned that Shontia was a fan as well. Ever since, more of Drake's friends began popping up as members of the fandom, leading him to simply poke fun at the fact, rather than reject it altogether.

Shontia smiled as the friends stopped their argument quickly changed the subject before another broke out, “So why are we out here again?”

“I have a feeling,” Roman replied, as if that would explain it.

“And this wouldn't be the feeling that you had last time, right?” Draco asked, causing the trio to shudder at the memory. “I thought we agreed that day never happened,” Shontia muttered.

“No, this is a different one,” Roman smiled, “it's like I can feel that we're going to find something awesome. Either that or I'm getting cabin fever.”

With that the teen crouched down and felt the ground, “Besides Drake,” he breathed, standing, “we all need something exciting to happen soon.” The air grew still as the truth once again sunk in. It was Febuary, and the trio were on their second last term in school, it was only a matter of time before they would be forced apart to pursue their future goals and ambitions.

“So where do we start?” Shontia asked, breaking their silence.

Drake and Shontia looked at where Roman was just standing to see him pushing aside some bushes to head deeper into the forest. “I guess that way.”

With that they followed their friend deeper into the brush. After some time of walking, Roman stopped and examined the surroundings. “You feel that?”

Shontia and Draco stopped and looked around as well. “Yeah, the air it's heavier,” Shontia noted.

Draco stared at a spot in the brush, “This way!”

The group changed their direction, the pressure in the air growing denser as they made their way through. Eventually they arrived at the source in a clearing. They were speechless for a moment, until Draco broke the silence, “What is that?”

On the ground was a circle, coloured violet with white streaks swirling within it.

Roman approached the circle and picked up a small branch off the ground. Draco stared at his friends action, “What are you doing!?” Ignoring him, Roman knelt down and 'dipped' the stick into the circle. “Don't poke it!”

“I think it's a rift,” Roman explained.

“A what?” Shontia asked.

“A spacey-wacey link between dimensions,” he elaborated, pulling the stick out of the circle and tossing it aside. He stood and turned to his friends, “Is this cool or what?”

“No it isn't,” Draco shot back, “it's dangerous, someone could fall in.”

“Yeah,” Roman sighed, turning to the rift and flashing a smile, “or...”

“Rome, no.”

“Oh come on! Don't tell me you're not the least bit curious as to where this leads.”

“Dude, we've had discussions about the multiverse theory before. We could end up anywhere!”

Roman shook his head and laughed, “So you mean to tell me, that out of all the wonder and danger out there, you'd rather be stuck in the daily rut where every day you live out the definition of insanity?”

Draco nodded, “Yes, I that is exactly what I'm saying.”

His smile faded and he turned to Shontia, “And you?”

She shook her head “I'm sorry Roman, you know I like a good adventure, but...”

Roman raised a hand and chuckled, “It's cool. Just let it be forever that known that on this date, March 13th, 2013, that I listened to that little voice in the back of every humans head, and said...” with that he spun on his heel and jumped feet first into the rift, “GERONIMOOO!”

After a second, his voice faded, leaving his two friends in the clearing. Drake walked over to the rift and checked for any sign of his friend. Seeing nothing, he sighed as Shontia spoke, “Should we follow him?”

Draco shook his head before turning to face her, “Roman's smart, he should be able to hold up on his own.”

Shontia looked down, causing Drake's heart to tinge in guilt.

“Hey,” he said stepping forward, “don't be likeWOAHWOAHWOAHWOAHWOAHWOAH!” Shontia looked up to see as Draco slipped on a muddy patch of earth, flailing his arms around in a desperate attempt to regain his balance before falling backwards, head first, into the rift.

Alone in the clearing, Shontia looked around before sighing and rubbing the bridge of her nose. “Why do I get myself into these messes?” With that she walked up to the rift, being careful not to repeat Draco's action and looked into it. She swallowed, “Here goes.”

With that she jumped into the rift, screaming as she fell.


In the silence of the forest, where three friends once stood, the rift closed, and the adventure began.

Author's Note:

If you see anything that I need to edit, just let me know.

~Tobias