• Published 2nd Feb 2012
  • 1,624 Views, 12 Comments

A Pony for a Day - phillipphoenix



What would you do, if you woke up on a grassy patch, noticing that you had become a pony?

  • ...
3
 12
 1,624

Prologue

It was a cold February morning in Copenhagen. Snow had fallen during the night and the wind blew strongly making it feel much colder than it already was. I didn’t notice the weather though. I just walked along the street, in my own thoughts. I didn’t even notice the most peculiar about the weather - the mist - which is rather weird in comparison to the cold weather.

I’m an almost 20 year old guy, who just started on the IT-University of Copenhagen this summer. This was my first day in second semester and I was looking forward to start again after the vacation.

The roads were icy, so I didn’t want to ride the bike to school in fear of falling and luckily I lived right next to the metro. Even though I was on my way to learn something new and interesting, this wasn’t what was on my mind. My mind was full to the brink. Full of… Ponies!

Yes. I indeed had been enrolled into the magical world of friendship by one of my friends. A fair trade off for giving him the pleasures of Doctor Who in my opinion. Less than a few months ago, I wouldn’t have seen myself watching a show like MLP. It wasn’t until just before the holidays I got introduced to the crazy bunch consisting of Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Pinky Pie.

The thing about bronies is, that they are able to be entertained by feelings that “normal men” wouldn’t classify as manly. The other thing about bronies is that they also are completely indifferent about “normal men’s” views on the subject. When I learned this, my eyes opened for the great world of the pony community, which is one of the bigger ones that I have seen.

Soon I wanted to get more involved than just watching the show and reading a small comic once in a while. I started frequenting Equestria Daily, which is a great site for everypony, who wants to follow almost about everything on ponies. I got more and more obsessed with ponies as the time went. I often found myself thinking on what the next episode of MLP would reveal, what my next drawing of a pony should be like and how long I had to wait until the next chapter of my followed fanfics would become available etc.

Especially on that day, the early February morning, my thoughts fluttered about a comic I had read just the day before. I smiled as I walked towards the metro, wondering how the comic would have continued if it did.

Then suddenly, like in a flash of light all went dark. I was lying on my back, everything around pitch black. The sounds around me faded away, while the last memory still lingered in my mind: Two big lights coming closer through the mist. I fainted.

When I next time opened my eyes, it felt like I had been sleeping for hours. I was still pitch black. The thought crept into me – “Am I dead? Could this be what it’s like to be dead?” I was still lying completely still at the moment, but at making the first tiniest movement, I started falling, like I had been lying on a trap door, which had been opened.

At first my heart began to pump faster and my body was filled with adrenalin. I felt the tickling of the wind passing me with greater and greater speed until the acceleration seemed to stop. I was still falling though, but I became more used to it as time passed.

It felt like hours of falling and still nothing to see. I started to wonder, if I had become blind or something, and also if I soon were to hit anything. I closed my eyes for a bit, to rest them.

Then upon opening them again, I started to see small glowing dots in the distance, almost invisible. As I fell they seemed to glow sharper and sharper, and now I was ensured, that my vision hadn’t gone. They appeared like stars in a dark sky and instead of total darkness I now saw small images form, because of the invisible interconnections between the stars. This was one of the most beautiful sightings I had ever seen and I could just be looking at the small stars turning on and off, forming new images forever. If this was my fate, I would have been satisfied.

As time passed and I had been looking at the stars for what felt like hours, I saw a single star, glowing stronger than the others. It was right in front of me glowing bright white. It was bigger than the others, and the more I kept looking at it, the more I realized that the star in fact grew. Not very much, but just enough for the naked eye to see.

After some time, it became clear to me, that the star didn’t grow, but in fact came closer and closer. The closer I got, the faster I seemed to fall towards it. Soon I noticed that the light wasn’t shining from the star itself, but from behind it. “Is that a star at all?” I thought. I further questioned myself during my flight through nothingness towards the “thing”.

As it came closer yet, it seemed like a planet of some sort, and when yet closer I quickly concluded it not to be Earth. “It would be silly if I found myself falling towards Earth. That would just be like in cartoons, when someone gets smashed right into orbit,” I ensured myself.

I hadn’t had more than a split second from finishing that thought till I started accelerating yet more and more and upon getting real close to the planet, I found myself travelling at what seemed light speed towards the ground. PUMPF! I had hit the atmosphere and felt a big pull in my body as it hit the wall of air. The sheer force of deceleration knocked me out.

When I woke up, my body ached and I felt dizzy. But I felt the wind gently stroking my cheeks as it passed my body. I smelled the odours of flowers and grass and opened my eyes slowly.

I was looking at the same sky that I had fallen through. It was still dark, but the light slowly began to lighten everything up. I tried to turn around, but found myself unable to, not because of being immobile or anything like that, but because my body didn’t do, what I wanted it to. I tried again… and again, but I still couldn’t turn over. Thinking that something might be wrong, I tried to turn my head to look down at my body to see. “WHAT?!??! I’M…. A….. PONY?!” I stuttered.

A pony… how could that be? It was first then I realized that I found myself in a world looking “cartoony”. I couldn’t believe my own eyes. But even this excitement couldn’t keep my eyes from closing. I had been falling for so long, having been knocked out and hitting the ground. I was amazing I was still alive. The whole procedure had made me tired.

My eyes closed and I fell asleep as I heard voices in the distance.


Authors notes:

This chapter has today (29-03-2012) gone over some minor changes, mainly making the text more readable and fixing small mistakes.

This was done at the request of hcedillo.