• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 7,164 Views, 600 Comments

Just an Everyday Princess - Wages of Sin



Twilight tries to go back to everyday life, but when your the newest alicorn princess, things are a little more complicated than that.

  • ...
20
 600
 7,164

Ponyville Maximum Security (it isn't) *now with 20% more explained AJ emotion!

Applejack sat in her prison cell (which consisted of a locked room in town hall after the guards had confronted the reality that such a small town didn't have a jail) and she thought about what she had seen that day.

"Mac..." she said as she stared off into space.

She was brought back to reality when the door to her "cell" opened and one of the guards from before walked in.

"You are hereby formally charged with treason and assaulting the princess. Due to the nature of your offense you face the potential for banishment or life imprisonment. To expedite your processing I must ask you some questions. Will you comply? Before you answer, I am required to inform you that if you do not, you face..." There was a knocking at the door. "One moment." the guard said as he left the room.

After a few minutes of Applejack alone with her thoughts two guards came into the room together.

"You have a visitor." one guard, the same one who was about to ask 'some questions', said. The other just stood in the corner.

The door to the cell opened to reveal the purple princess in question.

"Hey there Applejack." Twilight said with a concerned smile.

Applejack didn't even turn to look at her.

"Uh... So, uh, sorry about the jail thing, I'll have you out soon. ...But Applejack? I'm kind of worried about you... Why'd you jump me? And why'd you get so upset and leave this morning?"

Twilight flinched as Applejack shot her an icy stare.

"Oh, I'm sorry princess. Maybe you should order ME into your bed, or you could ride ME around, actually I'm sure that it'd be such an honor to be your doormat! Psh! I can't believe you." Applejack resumed her staring at the wall, scowl still etched on her face.

"Uh... What? I don't understand what..."

"Of course you don't see it! You’re from Canterlot! None of you hoity-toity snobs think about anything but yourselves! Demeaning the Earth Ponies like we're you property. I used to think you were different, now I see you're just like 'em."

"AJ? What are you talking about? How have I 'Demeaned Earth Ponies?'"

"I've seen the way you treat us since you became princess. Getting your guards to ransack ma' house, forcing Mac to carry you like some kind of slave, and forcing those four into your bed to do who knows what!"

"Sleep, Applejack, that's what! I 'ordered' them to sleep with me because they wanted to sleep on the hard wood floor, you would've known that if you had stuck around to hear me explain myself. And as for Mac carrying me, he was being a gentlecolt after he saw me twist my ankle on the way here!"

Applejack's hard expression faltered a little. "What about you havin' him tied up like that, and yer guards breaking into our house?"

"After pinkie managed to run off with me this morning my guards have been especially on edge. They put those ropes on Mac while he was carrying me to make sure he didn't run off with me (like Pinkie did), while the other guards checked out the place Mac offered for me to sit while they called for a doctor. They were checking the house for- I don't know- an ambush or something, and when you went and bucked the guard captain, they were even more inclined to believe that there was a trap."

Applejack's jaw was no the floor. It all actually made sense, Mac being nice and the guard being overprotective suddenly seemed a lot more reasonable than Twilight's personality doing a one-eighty.

... But that meant that everything was effectively her fault. If she hadn't jumped to conclusions and ran out she would have heard the explanation. If she would have herd the explanation Twi wouldn't have been worried and come over. If she hadn't come over she wouldn't have twisted her ankle and needed carried. If she hadn't been so violent, the guards probably would have been nicer about their search. If she hadn't jumped to conclusions about Mac helping Twi, and subsequently jumped Twi, she wouldn't be in jail awaiting possible banishment charges.

It was all her fault... and the worst part was, it was all because she assumed the worst about her friend.

"Twi..." the orange farmer looked to her friend-turned-princess-turned-victim, "I..." she choked a little on the words, "I want to say I'm sorry... I just... Granny always used to tell us about back in the day when there were unicorns from Canterlot who would come down here and…” She looked her princess friend right in the face, “-and I’m right sorry about it, but I think on some level I’ve always just been waiting for you to, I don't know, turn out bad or something.”

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked neutrally.

“I mean, I was raised in an Earth-pony village by a deep-rooted pure-Earth-pony family. As a filly always heard stories about unicorns from Canterlot being just downright bad, flaunting their magic and treating us like- like- well, like how I thought you were treating those mares we found you with.” Applejack turned away and bowed her head, “Rarity’s always been a nice gal’ but sometimes she’s just a little insensitive about flaunting her magic, I know she doesn't mean to, it’s just…" she released a tense sigh, composure breaking down "...Looking back at it, I see that after I really found out who you were, being so powerful and all, I kinda always… How do I... Like during winter wrap up, or when I worked myself so hard during harvest season... I saw that our traditions… I mean, you could do the work of almost the whole town by yourself and it was just so… I guess I’ve always just seen you as just too good to be true. Like one day you’d just turn around and be somepony else... Somepony like the unicorns from granny’s stories… I guess that all that's been happening I finally just saw what I wanted to see…”

Both mares were silent for a moment before Applejack retrained her eyes square with Twilight’s, still lacking their signature spark, but with no lack of determination.

“I’m sorry. I'll take my punishment like a Mare. Do what you want with me, but please make sure Mac takes care of Aplebloom..." The proud farm pony's face only betrayed the slightest hint of sadness through its charade of stern confidence.

"AJ,” Twilight’s even tone calmed the farm pony down a little “I’m glad to hear that you’re working through a problem you may not have even recognized you had, and I’ll try to be more sensitive about this in the future, but for now we have a party to get to and I still have some things to do before it starts." Twilight turned and opened the “cell” door, “Come on now, I wouldn’t want any of my friends to miss a Pinkie party.”

"Wha? Twi, I'm in jail for assaulting a princess!-"

"Yeah, I know, and that princess realizes her friend was just being an idiot. Let's go get some cake."

With faint smiles, Twilight and AJ walked out of town hall, breaking course from one another, one heading to Sugarcube corner, and the other heading to the library with her guard company.

"I'm going to a party tonight, and since you all have been a little less than adaptive to good old Ponyville, I'm asking you all to just stay here while I'm at the party." Twilight spoke with authority, leaving little room for argument.

...but true to form, the guards didn't respond well to the idea of their charge going off alone.

"Princess," the Captain spoke, "I must object to this, what if there are-"

Twilight, who had assumed that the guards had received her message and had turned to leave, wheeled back around.

"Captain? Do you know who I am?" the princess asked, annoyance thick in her voice as she put a hoof to her temple in hopes of quelling an approaching headache.

The guard snapped to attention, "Princess, You are Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, Princess!"

"~and before that I was?~"

"The Element of Magic, Princess!"

"~and as the element of magic, what did I do?~" she asked, building to her point.

"Um..." the guard captain was at a loss for her expected answer.

"I'll tell you, I defeated Nightmare Moon, Discord, an Ursa, the Changeling Queen and Army, and the Dark King Sombra. Since then I have even created new magic and ascended to the even more powerful, and potentially immortal, form of an alicorn. Do you know what that means?"

The guard stood stock still, a bead of sweat running down his face, he didn't respond.

"I'll tell you: it means I can handle going to a private party with my friends without you. That's what it means." she promptly walked out and slammed the door with her magic. Or at least it felt like a slam to the guards who remained griped by the fear that plagues those who cross a mare.

After probably ten minutes one guard finally shook off his shock. "Uh... So captain? What do we do now?" he asked.

The captain shook away the visions of his demise at the hooves of a violet alicorn and looked around the library, "Well..."