• Published 13th Mar 2013
  • 2,219 Views, 136 Comments

Dysphoria, Arc 3: Canterlot - thedarkprep



This follows Dysphoria, Arc 2: Ponyville. Rose never imagined going back to Canterlot after her exile. However, strange events start occuring, centering around her and her past, forcing her to go back and face what she left behind (and maybe more).

  • ...
5
 136
 2,219

13. Epilogue?


13. Epilogue?


So, that was Arc 3. What did you think? Personally, I don’t think it’s quite as good as Arc 2. Don’t get me wrong, it was a lot of fun to write, I just don’t think that I’m that good at writing adventure stories. There are more events and less inner turmoil. In any case, I’m still proud of this story and I hope you enjoyed it as well.

Now, I know you’re probably wondering what’s next (if you like the story thus far). Well wonder no more!

As I originally said, I planned the first three arcs together with no earthly idea of where I was going to take the story next. In fact, when I started I wasn’t even sure I’d get to the third arc (I’m notorious for normally not following through on projects), and I felt that if I did make it to the end of the third arc, I would be so tapped out of creative energy that I would just not have anything else to give. That’s actually why I give up on as many projects as I do; I don’t do things if I don’t find them worth doing and a story with no new developments and rehashing old themes would have been just that. As such, Arc 3 was supposed to end with this big finale that tied up all the loose ends of all the Arcs and said “thank you for reading” in a way that would make an Epilogue? redundant.

I will give you a second to check that there is in fact an Epilogue? (you’re reading it) and that the ending of Arc 3 is not an all-encompassing ending. In fact, it seems kind of open-ended, does it not?

Well, as I’d already stated in the last Epilogue? I have an idea for an Arc 0 due to the fact that Octavia hijacked my story as I was writing it. That will be a prequel to the Dysphoria series, looking at the relationship between Octavia and Slant Rhyme when they attended school together. This will be mostly slice of life with a bit of romance, though if you’ve read this far into the series you already know it doesn’t work out. There’s a really good reason as to why though, but alas, no spoilers.

Dysphoria, Arc 0: Octavia will be available here once I’ve posted it.

“Hey prep, that's a prequel to Arc 1, so why the open-ended ending on Arc 3? Also, why is the link not up?”

Oh, thank you for noticing, random reader; I was just getting to that.

The reason why the link isn't up is because I said that Arc 0 will be written and posted once the main story is finished. And the reason for the open ended ending, is because the story is far from over.

While writing Arc 3 I got struck by inspiration, and I pulled some serious overtime into story drafting, writing, and polishing my skills. As such I am proud to announce the posting of Dysphoria, Arc 4: Summer Breeze, which is online and you should go read right now.

This story goes back to the Slice of Life genre, focusing on Rose and transgender themes. However, I take a different approach than I have in the past. Since this was written outside the trilogy, you'll immediately notice the focus is different, the way I write is different, and the way I tell the story is different. also, the chapters are all longer again (longer than Arc 2). Also, by different I mean better (if my pre-reader/editor is to be trusted).

I think you'll like what you'll read.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about the one-shots I keep saying I'll write. I swear I’m not putting them off on purpose; it’s just that the arcs are very time-consuming to write and it’s just me on the creative side of the whole writing thing with one editor fixing my grammar and spelling (you’re welcome! – editor)

So, to recap:

I hope you enjoyed Dysphoria thus far.

Dysphoria, Arc 0: Octavia is outlined and will be written and posted when I'm done with the main story.

Dysphoria, Arc 4: Summer Breeze is online and will post every Monday and Friday at around 6pm EST.

One-shots are outlined and partially written but the main story takes precedence.


Thank you so much for reading. I don’t do pointless things, and you give this story purpose. If you like it please share it with your friends and follow, favorite, etc…

Happy Reading,

-thedarkprep

P.S. If you want to talk about any trans-related things (if you have questions, concerns, or want any information), feel free to send me a private message. I would love to talk to you and inform in any way I can.

Comments ( 10 )
Comment posted by Lady Froey deleted Jun 15th, 2013

2454922

You're right in that it depends on the person. Some are happy being transgender (I had a few friends who defined their lives by it), and there are some who even after surgery and medication will never accept not being cis (since transitioning is not the magical cure everyone believes it to be).

It IS something sad, and terrifying, but with the proper effort and help (either from professionals or from a support system), people can move to a point where they are happy with who they are, or at least know what steps to take to make it so.

As for how they choose to define themselves, that's up to them.

Very insightful comment, I'm very glad you posted it.

3191397

It was indeed :twilightsmile:

That and it also works in with her relationship with her parents (as opposed to Perfect).

Finally, I got around to finish reading this. Very good story as always. I really like the character you've developed Rose as along with her inner thoughts. Will move on to arc 4!

3367455

Think of Twilight in Arc 1, they know of each other but aren't close and don't ever interact in Canterlot. Shining would not have known that there were two unless he crossed paths with the changeling after capturing Rose, which wasn't the case because he was dealing with the wedding stuff.

This story has been reviewed by: The Equestrian Critics Society

Story Title: Dysphoria, Arc 3: Canterlot

Author: thedarkperp

Reviewed by: Shahrazad

This is not a stand alone story; Dysphoria, Arc 3: Canterlot picks up a few months after arc two. Reading arcs one and two is a must in order to understand arc three. Nevertheless, the time investment is well worth it. Arc three is more action oriented than the previous arcs, but still retains its focus as a character drama.

Dysphoria is an anguished search for identity, belonging, and acceptance. This search isn’t done in a vacuum. It plays out on stages both big and small, from sitting at home quietly writing in a journal, to conversations one on one, to larger groups, and even interactions with towns and cities. It is said perception shapes reality, and it’s true here, in all of its beautiful and terrifying glory. If character dramas are your thing, start at Dysphoria, Arc: 1 Introductions. If you’ve already read arcs one and two, why are you reading this review? Go click on chapter one and stop wasting your time!

Full Review

Score: 8.7/10

Ooooh, the despair is picking up. I'm looking forward to some more retribution for the bigots:raritydespair:

Within this world,
the illusion of dark falls apart.
Once more,
rest and dream
of a future borne in bliss.

Excellent work, dear Author!:pinkiehappy:
The story isn't over yet.:twilightsmile:

I'm personally still hooked on the idea of the arc for Perfect that you mentioned at the end of arc one.

Another hour long bath, and another arc of this story re-read. Some candles and a nice drink are the only things I'm missing from the equation for a perfect nighttime activity.

The story is far from perfect, but it is a perfect summary of some of the issues involved with being trans. Though I might not deal with all the issues on a regular basis anymore, it's good to remember, and to see how far I've come. Thank you.

This story really felt like a transition (ha) between what has been and what has yet to come. While the second story did actually work well as a stand-alone, this one really relies on the material from both the previous ones. This makes it a lot stronger, but I did wish we'd gotten balanced heaps of psychological drama to go in equal measure with the action that was introduced here.

Rose is making a lot of strides, but it does feel like a lot of big questions are being ignored. These stories have been ending by affirming that she is a trans pony and her struggles are legitimate. It's just that after three stories of this, I'm starting to wonder if she'll make progress on her transition itself, and making more connections.

Login or register to comment