• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 12,421 Views, 121 Comments

The Crystal Vanguard - Skarner



An ancient dreadnaught has awoken in The Crystal Empire, also awakening a new threat. One that nothing in the world could ignore.

  • ...
21
 121
 12,421

Chapter 8: Blooded Souls

With a smile, Evelynn entered the tavern that was mainly empty. There were a few ponies here and there, but they didn't exist. They were ghosts. Nothing unusual in the Cryptic Tavern. It wasn't hard finding the pony she was looking for. He wore a cape, and a cowpony hat. His coat was pale blue-- like hers-- and his mane was dark-brown. His cutiemark is composed of 3 cards, one is red, the others were blue and yellow. As usual, he spent his leisure time gulping down rum. Of course, the beverages here contained essences of souls. You could have a soul sandwich! Evelynn had a blue coat with a pinkish-purple mane. She wore strips of spiked clothing which matched her mane. Her eyes were crimson red; they were always frightening to glare at.

Twisted Fate didn't have to turn to address his company.

"What brings you around darling?" He said,

She sighed, "Did you not hear about the group of ponies and dragons?"

"Ah heard of 'em. What makes you think that I wanna cause some trouble?"

Shocked at his words, she couldn't believe the words she just heard.

"My my." She said slyly, "Who knew the great and magnificent Twisted Fate would turn down an oppurtunity like this?" She mocked.

He stayed silent.

She shifted her stance to favour her right legs. She waited patiently for his answer.

Finally he straightened his back and turned, "They're after the relic aren't they." He said,

She shrugged,

"Perhaps. Only coming with me can give you you're answer." She began to leave while keeping an eye on the caped pony.

"Have fun." He sipped his drink.

Unsatisfied, she left the tavern. Twisted Fate slipped a smirk then glugged down the remaining rum in his drink. The bartender who was simply a rotton carcass ,nodded and took his bits.


They didn't have to venture far into Vilemaw's lair; Vilemaw met them halfway. Without any warning, he sprayed out sticky webbing which hit everypony/drake. The massive spider pulled them all into his grasp. Leaving them vulnerable to whatever he wanted to do. He tied them all up into a bundle. They struggled and lashed, but the web was far too strong.

Mordlen breathed fire upon the web that encased them; the webbing easily burnt off. Now free, the group engaged Vilemaw into combat. Ryze locked him into a runic cage to prevent him from doing anything. It left him vulnerable, so Quinn and the dragons attacked. She sent bolts into his chest which made him wince only slightly. He countered her attacks by slashing down. Reluctantly, she barely dodged it. Krypt used his sharp tail to take down Vilemaw's legs. Instead, he was met with a slash from Vilemaw's left leg. His leg was sharp enough to penetrate the dragon's scale, thus striking through his torso.

He gagged out blood and attempted to hull it's leg out of him. It was extremely difficult to breath, and his strength quickly faded. Sarhoth tried to distract Vilemaw from biting down on her comrade by breathing icey winds upon his face. Valor swooped down upon the leg that was impaled in Krypt and tried to bite it off. The reaction: Vilemaw lifted his leg flinging Valor off and a dragon stuck in his leg. He continued to fend off the others by swiping and lashing his talons at them. He retreated into his cave with Krypt as quick as a wing beat of a humming bird.

With no heasitation, they ventured further into the cave.

Mordlen breathed his fire to burn the webs that blocked their path. Deep fear chilled through them; he could attack any moment. Suddenly, a loud bundle of crunches echoed through the cave.

It was the sound of Vilemaw munching on Krypt.

Or was it?

Krypt limped towards them with his arms clutching his torso. Sarhoth quickly flew towards him assisted him.

"We *cough* have to get out of here." Krypt coughed out blood, staining Sarhoth's bright blue scales. She looked to Ryze with eyes pleading for a decision. If they continued on, they will risk another receiving a major injury. But for what purpose? Pax is most likely to be dead and that the Shadow Isles probably held more dangerous creatures. The dragons were honourable warriors (if not raised in a barbaric group) and they will hold the burden of leaving a drake behind for quite a long time. They didn't have much time before the void attempts to take over Equestria either.

Finally he asked, "Did you see Pax by any chance?"

The black and green drake nodded his head.

"It was very dark. Although i am nocturnal, im not sure if it was him wrapped in a cocoon or some otherdrake." he said with a raspy voice.

He lowered his head. But Ryze raised his.

"Im going in." he spoke softly, "Quinn, can you have Valor escort Krypt out?"

She didn't need to ask; Valor was already beside the black dragon, ready to go. She shrugged,

"Be careful Valor, and don't come in if we don't come out for awhile. Alright?"

He replied with a screech. Once Sarhoth released her grasp of the black dragon, he stumbled his way towards the exit with Valor in front. The rest of them fixed their gaze forward. Unto darkness.

Mordlen gulped. Then as if on cue, Vilemaw struck out a talon and reached for Quinn. Fortunately for her lightning reflexes, she kicked off and leaped backward from his talon. She fletched a few bolts as she did so. One took out one of his eyes. He roared in pain. Without giving him any chance to recover, Mordlen shot fireballs from his mouth, hitting it in the jaw. Sarhoth aimed her breath on his legs, preventing him from moving until he could break free. Ryze flung arcane balls, hitting it's head.

Vilemaw gradually backed off. He continued to take on hit after hit. Finally, his legs broke free of the ice and lunged at the group. He managed to swipe sideways to hit Ryze and Sarhoth, sending them crashing hard onto the cave wall. Quinn once again dodged the swipe and shot more bolts at his head, knowing that his weakness were taking out his eyes. He once again roared in pain, but retreated back further into his cave. She must've hit plenty of eyes.

It didn't take long to find the spot where Vilemaw kept his victims. Many cocoons, large and small, hung from the ceiling or mounted on the wall. They wondered how long it will take to find Pax, or Vilemaw to return.

At last, Ryze found him weak in a large cocoon of web. He could barely open his eyes. He breathed gently and slowly. He thought he could be weak from trying to escape the cocoon all that time.

Relieved, they brought him outside with haste leaving Vilemaw's lair.


They searched the desert for hours. All they could find was the rifle she left behind. It was hopeless, nopony had any other hint of her disappearance. She wasn't slain in battle, nor did was she with the buffaloes. Luio however, didn't want to give up. He spent his whole night refusing to back to the Empire and attempting to go back to Appleloosa. Despite Shining Armour's dignity as Captain of the Royal Guards, he couldn't bring himself to scold the secret prince. So he merely forced him to stay within the castle to rest, while the rest of the elite guards continued to help evacuate other small towns.

Skarner was thankful that Twilight didn't harass him with 'I told you so!'s. It would've dreaded him. But he is still right: he can not let her follow them when they journey into more dangerous missions. The elite guards were expendables compared to the princess and her 5 friends. She either didn't realize it, or she disagreed with that concept.

Although, Twilight got quite a lecture from Shining when she returned. Luckily Cadence was able to calm her husband down before he literally, blew up. He got her to form an apology when she met Skarner again; It was considered defying an official order. Since she was an alicorn and a princess, she didn't have to face the punishments at all.

They were at Dodge Junction, making quick evacuation considering that it's a very small town. So all they needed was one elite guard. The others were over at Vanhoover.

Twilight was powerful enough to teleport extreme distances. So she started at the train station to Dodge Junction. She appeared in front of the town street, with beads of sweat trickling down her neck. Firstly, she observed the organized group at the train station not so far behind her. They haven't fully evacuated yet which was good for Twilight. She could use the time to look around to make sure all buildings were clear. After looking through house, to house, she stumbles upon a lone colt.

He innocently looked up at Twilight with his jaw open. He was amazed to see an alicorn before him. The colt is golden yellow, with both his mane and coat matching. He wore glasses that fully hid his eyes. His mane is an afro , and his cutie mark was a hammer and screwdriver crossed.

"Come on! We gotta get moving." she said. He quickly nodded in response. He tightened his baggage around his torso and began trotting towards the train station.

"So you're a real alicorn? Interesting..." he asked as he passed by her.

"Yep. Thats right." she began trotting next to him, "So whats your name? Im Princess Sparkle, but please just call me Twilight." she smiled warmly,

"Im Heimerdinger as everyone calls me. My actual name is TinkerBolt. I apologize for my lack of participation in the evacuation... its just that I will dearly miss this place."

She nodded,

"I understand. I too fear for my home."

He waved goodbye as he hopped onto the train. Leaving Skarner who ushered the last of the civilians into the train, alone with Twilight. His job now was to doublecheck the whole town, then leave on the next train. He jumped in surprise when he noticed Twilight.

"Hey Skarner, about yesterday." she began, "Im really sorry for disobeying your orders, I really wasn't thinking when I wanted to help. I got carried away and followed you to Appleloosa. I understand now that by interfering with your duty, I pose a rude implication that you were too weak to handle things yourself. You wanted us to stay safe, and I respect that."

"I too, am sorry for shoving you aside. I have turned down your offer to help and treated you like a child. I have been stubborn and inconsiderate regarding you and your friend's power. If you had come earlier, we might not have to lose so many buffaloes in the fight. It was most rude of me. Especially when it involved a princess."

They both gave a small laugh. Now that the tension was gone, they enjoyed each other's company while they cleared the town once more. He decided to save the story of his people for later. So he answered Twilight's other questions such as how he is able to control crystal in such ways.


Ugh, what a terrible nightmare..., Little Strongheart thought. She disliked the idea of getting up, but she didn't want to risk seeing that nightmare again. So she slowly opened her eyes, with crud stuck to her eyelids. She tried to blink off the crud but it did no wonder, so she lifted her hoof to scrub it out. Unfortunately, her fore-leg did not do as she commanded it to do. With a huff, she opened her eyes fully and found she is lying on a strange flora. She then realize she was far to exhausted, despite her slumber, to lift a muscle. She then felt a very sudden and painful feel on her back. She wanted to scream in pain but her mouth was paralyzed. It was hard to breath; she panicked, wondering if she is still in that nightmare.

She took a more thorough look at the thing she was lying upon. It was a pool of some kind of purple energy. Whatever it was, it certainly did not help her sleep. She awaited patiently for her memories to bring back the reasons why she was lying there. But all that came was her nightmare. She then realizes, this is still her nightmare!

A voidling scurries in front of her face, taking curious looks at her. Then it scurried away as fast as he appeared. She attempted to lift herself from the pool once again, only to be able to lift her neck. She then sees a figure coming into view... it was Caitlyn!

Relief gushed into her. She knew she was an elite guard and that she was kind and skilled. She could definitely help her escape this nightmare. But she wasn't.

Her coat was now entangled with purple stripes, and her mane flowed purple energy. Just like the pool. Her eyes glowed deep purple as well, showing no pupil nor iris. On her side, she carried a large weird purple stick... or so it seemed. She lifted a hoof, and waved as it glowed purple. She took away the pool of energy and took out her stick. She held it like a rifle a-- oh! Because it IS a rifle! She held her rifle pointed at her face.

"Wake up Little Strongheart, he wants to see you..." she said. Her voice was very distorted, as if a second voice existed in sync with hers.

Suddenly, she is able to move again. The pool must've sapped her ability to move. She slowly rose to her legs and walked in front of Caitlyn down a corridor. She had so many questions about where she was, or what REALLY happened. But she figured now isn't such a good time. She waited for the moment to escape.


Malzahar was busy studying the magic potential of the crystals Skarner uses. To him, they were merely crystals that can store energy. He could not breach its properties; he only knew magic of the void. The crystal concept was clearly a very vigarous and complicated thing. It mused him: the crystal can store void energy as well. He toyed at the interesting thought and wondered if he can use it against Skarner. Or perhaps have it affect all of Equestria! The Void will be most proud; for many eons, they longed to change the universe! Many were afraid of the void; too frightened at what lies within. When the truth was all it did was enhance you. It turns you into something greater than yourself. It reflects on your inner fears, then evolves youto counter your fear. Of course, the side effect may be monstrous. He could prove that all who has allowed the void to merge with their souls are satisfied and grateful... except for one...

His thoughts were interrupted as one of his most recent new-comer entered the room with his request. Caitlyn poked Stronheart in the rib to urge her forward to Malzahar. He offered a warm embrace that she knew was all acting. She slowly backed away, trying to avoid the void prophet.

"Aw, whats wrong Little one?" he spoke, "Will you not introduce yourself? I'll go first, I am Malzahar." he then awaited for her response which was one he expected.

"What do you want from me?" she said coldly,

"Its not what I want, Little Strongheart," he demonstrated that she didn't even need to introduce herself, "Its what you desire."

She stayed silent, keeping an angry glare at Malzahar.

"The void desires only your co-operation. You see, we have simply came to evolve the world into more than it is. We had no intentions to kill or harm one another."

"No harm?! You nearly killed off my people in Appleloosa!"

"Merely because they resisted the void."

"You killed honourable beings who had families to go to!"

"If one resisted the Void, it takes no hesitation to cleanse them; they pose a threat towards the crusade."

"What makes you so confident in the Void?! huh?!"

"Once all worlds are dipped into the Void's power, nothing can stop it. The worlds will be an unstoppable and superior... and united. Please Strongheart, aren't you tired of being called 'little' all the time? Does it not upset you that you had no power over the lives that were lost?"

"I dont mind being little; it means I have a lot more to learn before i grow up. And i've learned to always believe in the greater good! Bullocks to your Void! The Elements of Harmony will kick your flank!"

He tisked twice,

"Strongheart, we aren't what we provoke ourselves to be. But only one can see... one can only see why all must welcome the Void... that one is you Little Strongheart. Deep into the future... it shall be you who leads us..." he drew towards Strongheart as Cait moved in to hold her in place. He glared deep into her eyes, and once she caught a glimpse of purple fog in his eyes, her vision became fully clouded.

Her skull screamed in pain, she was being tormented with visions that he has described. She killed her father, her friends, and her people. Suddenly the visions stopped. She gained back her conscience as fast as she lost it. She finds Malzahar stumbling back from her, making the situation very confusing. She then gets grasped by a stranger with very strong fore-legs. The figure pointed his other arm at Malzahar, sending an orb of energy ,similar to void energy, hitting him right in the chest. He grimaced on the impact and then it all flashed into a new scene.

She looked up at her rescuer to find the most perculier pony yet! She assumed that he was a pony. He stood on two legs, wearing full armor from the mane to hoof. He had spikes coming out his shoulder pads,helmat, and and arms. His eyes glowed yellow, and his form very muscular. He had tubes connecting his helmat and.. sides? He looked at her with no facial expression, but she assumed it was warming.

"Thank you stranger..."

He merely nodded and continued to his own path. It seemed like he was hovering from the ground. Little lines of purple trailed behind him. She quickly sprinted to his side but quickly became exhausted because of the earlier events. She panted between questions.

"Hey! Whats your name? What happened?"

He stopped and peered into the distance, but spoke,

"I prefer to be called Kassadin. I saved you from the grasp of Malzahar. Do you not have a home?" his voice was metallic and deep.

"My home was evacuated, but i was captured."

He nodded.

"I'll temporarily escort you back to your evacuation point. Mind telling me where it is?"


Truth is, it was hard for Skarner to accept what has happened and move on. All those lives died, and they could've been saved if he weren't so stubborn. He wondered if they would've even made it alive if it weren't for them. He should've listened to Twilight and let her follow. The buffaloes go a very long way in history, it proved devastating if one were unable to continue their generation. However, after that night, he began to think that the only way to pay his debt to the lives of the lost buffaloes, was to form a funeral for them. Unfortunately, due to the Void hostility, it will only risk more lives. Instead, he conjured up a large crystal monument, decorated with the names of the fallen. Provided by the survivors. Skarner personally carved each name which counted up to 92. Amoungst them were grown male, female, and their young children.

Shining smiled at the sight, feeling deep sympathy and respect for the Brackern.

Now that day has passed and he remains vigilant at night. Celestia returned with the griffon's consent in participation in the crisis, as a courier reported. He hoped Ryze has succeeded in his task. It seemed that their support will greatly turn the favours of this war into Equestria.

His mission today was to simply keep guard of Canterlot. He would patrol street, to street. He remembered when Canterlot was just a small town with grand structures. Now the structures were many and taller. He remembered when Princess Celestia's mane was bright pink, instead of pink,blue,and green. The thoughts brought him to remember Princess Terra. Although they only had conversations regarding his history and duties, they both have grown to be confident in eachother's presence. They had a strong friendship and he sometimes acted as her advisor. Now that he mentioned advisor, he hadn't explained to Skarner what was going on. He will have to save his curiosity for later. For now, he had a city to watch.


Once they reached the outside, the day was still gloomy and dark. Its as if the weather was permanent here. Valor and Krypt were happy to finally see that Pax was alive. Or was he?

They were too clumsy to notice that he has been poisoned by Vilemaw's bite. He slowly died on his way out, and his heart stopped beating mid-way out. Now downtrodden, the group searched the forest for a suitable burial. Finally they find a patch of soft soil, large enough for the dragon. Krypt summoned a tombstone with his talent in basic necromancy. They lowered their heads, and Quinn removed her helmet. All were silent. Then read the encryption on the tombstone.

"Here lies a fallen drake: Pax HingeSpine. He will be forever remembered as honourable and a warrior." Sarhoth read, Krypt continued on to say his words.

"Dear friend of mine. You were noble and daring, true aspects of a warrior. Though you were clumsy at time," he cracked a small smile, "you were a true friend of mine. You were always optimistic and clever, it never gets old really. All I regret is telling your family of what happened. It truly will be saddening. Nevertheless, I will miss you dear Pax."

He looked onto Ryze and Quinn to see if they had any words. Mordlen then sang the chant of vanguards,

"Nature,nurture

Heaven and harm

So of all have been by driven

To conquer every mountain shown

Brave the forest

Brave the stone

Brave he icy winds and fire

Brave the teeth that are beyond my own."

They let silence linger in the air. Thankfully, no other creature dared interrupt. Their claws/hoof at their hearts, they stood for a good 10 minutes. They then bowed and picked up their equipment. The group treaded deeper unto the Shadow Isles.

...

A lone reaper trots towards the tombstone. Through his eyes, there laid a soul; it was fresh and strong. He could feel it's aura from where he stood. As he approached it, the soul began drawing closer to him; his lantern. Thresh was what legends called him. Although they never knew his real name, nor did he himself. He acts as something similar to the grim reaper as some suggest, his purpose was to collect souls and peacefully carry them. The soul became vibrant as he came closer. Until it was close enough to be stored in the lantern along with many many others. Whenever he collected a soul, it allowed him to see what they have been through, and what they thought through. Curious enough, he decided to give his most recent one a peek inside.


He trotted back and forth... back and forth. I gotta think of something!he thought. Deep within him, he knew Caitlyn was still alive. He knew he could save her! All it took was some very intense pep talk. This is the love of your life for star's sake! Focus!

He complimented himself, and finally he knew. He knew how to find her. Luio was prepared to do whatever it takes to get her back, no matter the cost! He launched himself onto his 'study chair' in front of his 'study desk' with his 'study tools' under his 'study lamp'. No no... it simply will not do!

He needed to get out his 'thinking chair/desk/tools/lamp', this is the appropriate time to use them. He picked up his pencil with his horn. His wings tightly snug in their resting position, and his chair at perfect height. Nothing can ruin his concentration now.

He scribbled madly on paper, using his full imagination and skills in logic and physics.

Author's Note:

Hello guys!

As you may have noticed, i made the changes to the chapters. I had them edited as i revised some of them again. Also for now and on, i will continue 2k word chapters but they'll only be half of the chapter. The rest will surely come in time

Thank you vary much fer readin! Dont forget to thumbs up and if you have any champs you want to show up soon, please say so in the comments. (or pm me, either is fine.)