• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 12,422 Views, 121 Comments

The Crystal Vanguard - Skarner



An ancient dreadnaught has awoken in The Crystal Empire, also awakening a new threat. One that nothing in the world could ignore.

  • ...
21
 121
 12,422

Chapter 2: Creatures of the Mountain

They all tensed. Of course the screech didn't sound friendly and it is their duty to keep the mountains safe. Within moments after a second screech, they made no heasitation to ready themselves. Caitlyn holstered her rifle around her back, Kennen checked his supply of daggers and pulled on his winter camo coat. Skarner stacked another layer of crystal onto his coat and readied his pincers and stinger. Luio... stared at Caitlyn.

"What?" Caitlyn asked when she noticed Luio staring, "Something wrong?"

"No, no. Everything is alright..." realizing what he said, he revolted at his own words, "I mean uh, I hope my jacket that you're standing on is fine." he gestured to the jacket behind her. She moved away from it to make space for him to fetch it.

"Ah, not a bit of dust." he smiled in satisfaction. Phew! Almost embarrassed myself. he thought.

A third screech echoed into the cave.

"We should hurry." said Skarner. They all nodded in agreement.

Cautiously, they peered around the curtain that protected them from the winds at night. Unfortunately the snow storm didn't make seeing much possible. Anyone can easily shroud in the storm, but they'll have to fight against the freezing winds.

Once again, the screech iritated their ears since it was close, but this time, a battle-cry came along after the screech.

"--ou... --lay... be --one --oul beas--!" the voice was slurred by the wind but the voice was strong and valiant. The Royal guards quickly came into the scene and found a griffin ,made purely of ice with red-beaming eyes, attacking an armoured grizzly and a hooded pony.

"Return what is mine!" the griffon exclaimed, then flapped her wings creating a large icicle able to impale the grizzly. Luckily the bear ducked, almost hitting it, and charged at the griffon. The hooded revealed a bow and an arrow. The pony arched the arrow then released it's grip, causing the arrow to quickly hit the grffon's torso. With quick agility, the pony arched another one, but was interrupted as the griffon caused the storm to push her to the ground. As Skarner charged into the fight; he too was affected by the griffon's wind that it conjured. the bracken had difficulties making his way in. The bear failed to reach the griffon, as it was suspended in the air. The griffon hurled an ice-ball at the grounded bear. Caitlyn shot the ball before it reached the bear, catching the trio's attention.

"Enough!" she yelled. They got back into combat, ignoring the gunner. Just before the archer fletched another arrow, Kennen flung one of his daggers knocking the arrow out of the archer's hand. Skarner rose out of the snow and launched at the griffon. He used his pincers the catch it's legs then pull it down. The griffon slammed the snow hard. And as for the bear, Caitlyn shot a net pinning it down.

"What is going on here?!" demanded the grizzly.

"By order of the Royal Guard, we do not tolerate violence." she stepped in front of the grizzly, "I demand you to explain the situation here. Otherwise, you'll face the consequences" she firmly oppressed.

"I have come in aid of this traveler," he gestured to the archer, "as she was attacked by this griffon."

"SHE HAS STOLEN A PRECIOUS ARTEFACT FROM ME!" the griffon screeched.

"This is no artefact of yours, it is merely a trinket of my honour!" the archer snapped back.

"Eeeyes, may I have a look at this 'trinket'?" Luio asked.

"How about we take this matter inside? Its freezing out here!" suggested Caitlyn.

"Very well." said the bear.


The trio, still captive, sat down around the fire.

"I am Volibear-The Thunder's Roar, I am most grateful you decided to take things peacefully." he glared at the griffon, "As i said earlier, I was venturing upon this mountain in my journey to a sacred mountain,Mount Hoarfrost within IronSpike mountains. By tradition of Ursine, I must listen to the call of the storm to fulfil my wisdom. Once it is done, I will return to my people as Grand chieftain. But along my path, I stumbled upon these two who were in combat."

Caitlyn nodded in acknowledgement.

"You may start." she gestured to the griffon.

"I am Anivia. For many eons, I have watched and protected over the mountains of IronSpike. All I held in possession is The Frozen Heart. And I believe its presence is found in possession of the Frost archer." she glared at the hooded pony.

"Is this true?" Caitlyn questioned the archer.

"No, it is not." she revealed herself by pulling back her hood. "This necklace was given to me when I was coronated Queen of Freljord, along with my other 2 sisters. We all share same necklace. I do believe that your artefact is most likely to be taken by another pony."

"How is that possible? The very remnants of the frozen heart is unique and can not be duplicated!" bursted Anivia.

"This necklace is called the Rime, it contains the essence of frost. The same with your Frozen heart. It's very aura matches with any other frost artefacts, which lead to our misunderstanding Anivia."

"I see... I apologize from inmost of my soul." she then gave an awkward smile, "I didn't get your name..."

"Ashely, but I do prefer Ashe." she eased her expression,"You are forgiven." they smiled at each other.

Caitlyn smiled too Another job well done.She said to herself.

"Would you three care to stay with us? Your company will be most appreciated." she asked.

"I would not mind" replied Ashe.

"it's rather too warm for my liking actually. Nevertheless, I too will accompany you." said Anivia.

"I apologize, but I do must take me leave." he got up then sniffed the air, "On second thought, is that food i smell?"

He glanced over at Luio who was brewing hot stew.

"Huh? Uh-eyah! Mushroom and dandelion stew."

Volibear frowned,

"I have never tried that before. I suppose you ponies do not have meat?" he stood coyly, hoping they indeed have meat.

"Of course not! Us ponies do not eat flesh!"

The grizzly groaned in disappointment. He said his goodbyes, and began his way out of the cave. As he opened the curtain, a bustle of icey wind blew into his fur. Sending him shivers through his thick fur. He sighed in fatigue, and walked backed. The ponies and the griffon exchanged confused glances.

"I thought you were leaving?" asked Skarner.

"I felt that enjoying stew with new friends is more pleasant than ravelling the storm." he replied. They all nodded in glee as the bear joined them.

"So Skarner," the bracken looked up from his daydreaming, since Luio caught his attention, "Remember where you left off this midnight?"

He nodded,

"I'll briefly sum up my people's past for our new guests." he motioned to them. Then he started stating how he came from an ancient kind called the Bracken, where he was Prime dean of his people. He mentioned how the Rune Wars affected them ; causing them to resort to total hibernation. He told them his duties as the prospector for his people, so that they can once again flourish.

"I slumbered in the crystal caverns for almost hundreds of years! To then be awaken by the construction of the Crystal Empire...


Unicorns all worked hard to shape and sculpt many crystal buildings and roads. They prioritized quality over quantity, steady over rush, creativity over repetition. Their passionate Queen, formerly Princess Terra, smiled as she gazed upon the happy ponies who are working hard. She prepared for her descent, down to the crystal caverns. To seek the energy source that will nourish her city. She sought out the ingredients from a recipe provided by her grandmother. The recipe created the Crystal Heart.

She lead an excavation group consisting a prospector, a skilled carver, excavation expert, a scientist, and a handful of guards. Their excavation started from a cave leading to the crystal caverns. The fear that it imbued into the ponies' minds was enough to drive them mad. Terra watched as one of her guards freaked out, then pass out. For many days, they searched within the cavern for the material they needed. That included a large, pure crystal core, an enchanted rune found deep inside the cavern, and a Brackern soul. One day, she stumbles upon the crystal rune, her excavator took note and mapped it's location. Shortly after a little more exploration, the prospector found a crystal core large enough to satisfy them. Unfortunately, it was too hard to mine for it was too deep. Luckily, they found another similar to the first core they found and was able to retrieve it. The scientist madly took notes of his surroundings; He was most intrigued of the crystal structures.

The last ingredient, a Brackern's soul, confused the group. No one knew what a Brackern was nor did they exist in their books. They decided to go back to the surface to research about this. They asked Celestia first, she says they are ancient beings. But that was all she knew. She recommended to ask Starswirl, the bearded. He also had no clue upon the Brackern.

After years of research, they came up with almost nothing. So they gave up their crystal heart to find an alternative. This alternative power source uses elemental magic; also extremely rare to find at the time. Only Discord knew of its remnants but immediately pushed away the idea. Fortunately, Starswirl was an adept in ancient elemental magic. He demonstrated carving a pure essence of the elements into a crystal core. Although it was barely strong enough to sustain her kingdom, it sufficed.

When the elemental crystal was installed into the Crystal Empire's heart, it quickly unleashed a pulse that ruptured across Equestria. The effect created a graceful aurora that was seen for many many miles.

What the effect also did was awaken Skarner.


"... Ironically, I introduced myself to the Queen the same way I did with Shining!"

The guards gave a chuckle.

"I don't get it." said Volibear, "Whats so funny?"

"Let's just say that I get stubborn in the mornings." replied Skarner.

"Soups on everypony!" Luio announced.

Everypony muttered in joy as they took a bowl filled with stew.

"And uh... Here you are Cait." Luio blushed as he handed her a bowl.

"Thank you." she smiled, causing Luio to make a giddy chuckle. She went back to her usual spot to enjoy her stew. Skarner was next inline.

"And there you are," he handed him his bowl, "I almost expected you to eat only crystals." He joked

"I do, but I can consume any other food."

"Ahh I see." He scratched his chin, "Say, you knew Terra. Correct?"

Skarner nodded.

"You know, before the city disappeared, I served her as her personal researcher. I was the one who desperatly wanted to know more about your kind."

Skarner raised an eyebrow,

"You've lived for 100 years? You couldn't possibly live long enough to participate in the excavation and the city's vanish."

"I'm the Queen's son." He winked.

"Most intriguing, why have I not seen you around her."

"I'll explain later. Go have your soup"

Skarner also returned to his spot after saying thank you tole chef.

Once everypony had their bowl, Skarner continued.

"Once me and the Queen found peace with eachother, she appointed me as an Elite captain of the Crystal Guards..."


"Your highness?" Skarner asked for her attention.

*Yes dear?* she replied using her telepathy.

"I must complete a task of my people."

She gave him a confused glance.

"I mentioned how I am to awaken them when I find a world fit for them."

*Ah yes! Are you planning to do so?*

"Yes my Queen."

*I will allow you to pick your group if you need company.*

"Then may I ask that you come? I am eager to introduce you to my people."

She nodded in excitement.

*I will be anticipating the event. When do we leave?*

"I can go now, also i'll need our advisers and leaders. Celestia, Luna, and Starswirl are also welcome to join us."

*Very well, i will send messages of the event. Im sure this will be down in equestrian history.* she smiled then geatured him out of her chamber to prepare.


Celestia, Luna, Starswirl, Corebranch, Terra, Krillon (Grand Master representitive of griffons), and many ponies from all over Equestria has partaken in this anticipated event. To Skarner, this was very meaningful to him. It made his heart swell with content, knowing that his people would love the embrace of Equestria.

Skarner and the leaders were to venture alone, since there are far too many ponies to fit in the cavern. They stopped upon the crystal rune, allowing Skarner to chant a blessing. The rune then gave a low-decibel sonic wave. At first, nothing happened.

"It takes a year to fully complete hibernation. Only the ones who are closer to the surface will awaken early." when Skarner finished, a loud roar echoed through the cave. Skarner simply smiled and told the leaders not to fear. He jokes how its similar to yawning when you wake.

A dragon silhouette appears. As he got closer, it became clear to the leaders about how massive he was. His hide is purely made of crystal.

He bowed before Skarner.

"It makes me glad that you have awoken us. Has anyone else appeared yet?" he said in a deep, but soft voice.

Skarner shook his head. Then he turned to the leaders,

"This is Bonanza, my adviser and master of our military."

Both bowed to eachother.

"It is an honour to meet you." Celestia introduced herself, "I am Princess Celestia. current ruler over Canterlot in Equestria."

He bowed again, in honour of Celestia.

"I am Princess Luna. I assist Celestia in her duties. I am most excited to meet thy people."

Again, he bowed to her.

"Bonanza, Queen Terra speaks through telepathy, will you be okay with that?" Skarner asked.

"Indeed, I also find that interesting." the dragon replied.

*I am Queen Terra. I rule the Crystal Empire along with my subjects. Skarner is appointed as my Elite Captain of the Crystal Guard.*

"Ah, I see." he bowed.

"I am Krillon, I was chosen to represent the griffon population in Equestria. I am most humbled to meet such ancient beings."

he nodded and bowed.

"I am Starswirl. I'm potentially Equestria's greatest magician."

"I will be interested in your abilities." he bowed again. Behind him, other Brackerns begin to step out from the ground to see what has awoken them.

Several of them were civilians, they introduced themselves as Bonanza did. Once they were done, they were warmly greeted by the ponies outside. Next Igneous showed up from his slumber, coming to Skarner first.

"Hello friend!" *yawn* "You wouldn't believe how musty it was where I slept." they shared a laugh. Skarner then introduced him to the Princesses, the magician, the griffon, as he did the same to them.

"Goodness Skarner, thy people do frighten me. Pray-tell, wilst thou be lecturing us on thy history?" Luna asked.

"Of course Princess. Only if you don't slumber through it."

Shortly after, Sulphate, Bollian, and Cathode appear. They also made their introductions with the leaders.

The princesses took their leave and apologized on not being able to stay for the full awakening. The rest however (including Starswirl and Krillon) stayed up all night long. As the days go by, civilians and Bracken warriors arise and were warmed by the ponies' welcome. Eventually, they broke up and went back to their homes. Although some decided to stay and welcome others that may come.

3 years later, Skarner has announced that the full awakening of his people was complete! Reluctantly, no Bracken died while slumbering. For many more years to come, they slowly flourished.


One day within the Brackern community...

"Captain Skarner! CAPTAIN SKARNER!!" a courier bursts through the castle doors and was quickly met with the bracken.

"Yes Corebranch?" he calmly replied.

"You must come quick! To the Brackerns!" he huffed out to regain his breath, "They are infected with this 'poison'! They say its extremely urgent!"

Skarner stood with his jaw hanging open.

"It can't be..."


"You can't let them suffer in there!"

*Skarner...* Terra began.

"NO! THE POISON WILL WIPE THEM OUT WITHIN AN HOUR!"

*Please, calm down. You have to understa--"

"If you're locking them up in there then i'm going in too!" his words echoed through the hall,

*...* she stood still, not moving to stop Skarner from entering the containment camp. He sped passed her and out the door. Terra couldn't help to shed a tear.



Skarner galloped out of the castle yard and down the main road. When he turned left, there is a crowd of ponies surrounding the camp around the Brackern community. He didn't slow down however. Instead, he sunk into the ground and made his way into the camp without anyone getting harmed.

As he emerged from the ground, the Brackern civilians stared in surprise. Although they said nothing and walked on in sadness, Igneous ran up to him and hit him right in the jaw.

"WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?! YOU'LL GET INFECTED TOO!" he cried as he bursted in tears.

"I was about to be the only Brackern, I want to die with my people if we're going extinct!"

"YOU FOOL!" he shoved Skarner to the edge of the camp, "GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE YOU GET INFECTED!"

"NO! I REFUSE TO FAIL MY PEOPLE."

Igneous (who shared Skarner's skill to sink into crystal structures) grasped onto Skarner and pulled him down and rushed through the interior of the ground. He struggled, bucked, lashed, but was useless against his grip on Skarner's forelegs. He tried to discourage his friend, but he didn't reply. Moments after they emerged out near the outskirts of the city. Just as he let go of Skarner, he forged a tall prison trapping him and quickly enchanted it to be immune to magic. He stepped back and glanced at him.

"Goodbye friend..." a tear dripped from his eyes, "Its for the Brackern..." then he slinked back into the ground.

"NO!" Skarner lashed and smashed the prison hoping that it would break. His attempts were useless; his magic was disabled. He wept like a filly who needed his mother.


"...the guards found me later that night and brought me in for a check up."

"Pst!" Volibear signalled Luio for his attention, but clearly had the attention of others, "Have any more stew left?"

Luio simply smiled and got up to fetch the pot. Voli glanced back at his friends to notice that they all heard him. He gave an awkward smile and shrugged.

"Its good! Is that a problem?" they all shook their heads. "You may carry on Skarner."

He nodded, then began again...


Almost sad to the point of suicide, Skarner slowly trots down the hall hanging his head down. He lifted his head to identify the door in front of him. Satisfied, he stepped in.

"Queen Terra?" he spoke into the room.

*On the balcony...* she replied.

Skarner walked further in to see Terra stand on the balcony staring out upon her city. As he got closer, he notices that shes spewing out tears and sniffling. He sat beside her, joining in her daydream. They said nothing for a while.

"I apologize for releasing my anger on you earlier today." he said to break the silence.

*You are forgiven.*

"What will I do now?"

*What do you mean?*

"My people, they are doomed--and I am just left here. Im the last... It will be I who will be lonely for many many centuries to come. I lived to awaken and lead them, what will I do now that I have nopony to lead?"

She nodded an agreement.

*As true as you are the remaining Bracken ,we still have so much to learn from you. The same as if your people would want you to live. It would burden their lives if the Brackens were to truly become extinct. You can carry on their stories, their works, their souls.*

A guard knocked on their door.

"Your highness!" announced the guard from the other side of the door. Within a moment, he stepped in. "The Bracken community has been confirmed... deceased."

Both Skarner and Terra hung their head in depression even though they both expected it.

"They shall be forever remembered." Skarner spoke up,

*May today commemorate the Bracken Kind. Today shall be held as a remembrance day for such an unfortunate event.*

"Thank you Princess."

*You are most welcome* she smiled.

"There is one more thing. But you'll have to see for yourself." said the guard.

Terra nodded in acknowledgement then Skarner and her followed the guard to the camp

Once they got passed the pony crowd, they saw many gloating orbs that gave off energy.

*What are those?* Terra asked Skarner, then she noticed his eyes were wide open in awe and disbelief.

"They are Brackern souls... they couldn't release their souls before they died... Unless..." with sudden realization, he gasped. "They did the reserve enchantment!"

*What does that mean?* she questioned his realization.

"It means they have have given their souls for our disposal. We can properly give them a memorial."

*I have a suggestion...*

"And what would that be?"

*The Crystal Heart needed Brackern souls, I did not know what a Brackern was until you showed up. What if it's possible to store all of your people souls into these energy conduits providing us with infinite power. Their lives will not be in vain.*

Skarner pondered the thought, then agreed. They mustered up all the souls and were careful to handle them. They left Skarner and a team of runic experts to embue the souls into the crystal heart. Once the task was complete, they placed it where the elemental heart was, then it created a large pulse. The pulse made the ponies in the Crystal Empire have ever so shiny coat and newly formed mane. An Aurora beamed across all of Equestria; it was a magnificent view; it made Skarner tear up. The ponies admire themselves, and Terra to stare at the beautiful night that aided the aurora. The Brackern blessing was in the ponies' hearts, and in the city. There wasn't any other way they can remember the Brackern. After that day, they celebrated each year in honour of the crystal heart. Thus started the festival that lasted for many centuries. The Crystal Fair that commemorated the Brackern race.


"...after that, I was constantly followed by scientist, librarians, and researchers. Gradually, they began to grow weary with my tales and then soon no one came. Although I was still remembered." Skarner finished, "I do believe it is our time to sleep." he gestured to the snoozing agent. He smiled at the sight.

"I agree." Caitlyn yawned, "We are going to station at Kerr Mountains tomorrow in the middle of that storm." she cuddled herself to sleep. Voli huddled in a corner and immediately started to snore loudly. Ashe simply leaned onto the wall with her bow and arrows by her side. Luio went to put away the bowls and pots. Anivia still stood where she was.

"Will you not be sleeping tonight?" Skarner asked her,

"No Brackern, I do not slumber. Although I will keep guard outside if that will be fine with you."

"Go right ahead, and goodnight."

"Goodnight to you too."

Luio got back from washing the dishes and closely to Caitlyn.

"Pst~ Caitlyn!" she looked up and gave Luio a questioning glance.

"What?" she replied

"Can I uh sleep next to ya? Nothing intentional of course!"

She shrugged and patted the floor beside her signalling Luio to lie down there. They spoke to eachother quietly so they were inaudible to others. Eventually they went to sleep and were quite close to eachother. Skarner smiled at the cute view.

Skarner went to lie down where the campfire used to be. He quickly drifted off to a dreamless sleep.


"Too bad those 3 couldn't come with us, they seemed to nice." Cait commented,

"That blizzard followed that bear where ever he goes, although I do agree with you." said Skarner

"Im still very grateful the storm didn't follow!" Luio said with joke.

"Indeed!" Caitlyn replied.

"Hey Kennen, why have you been so quiet lately?" Skarner asked.

"The subjects you ponies speak of do not interest me nor do I have an opinian on it"

"Ahh, I see."

They approached a clearing that lead them to the base-level of the mountain. As they walked and talked through the forest between the mountains, they hear a voice in the distance. Cautiously they ventured to investigate, since Caitlyn begged them to or she'll die in curiousity. They stumble upon a blue pony who looked heavily injured, muttering to himself. The blue coated pony with a dark brown with a bald mane carried a large scroll upon his back. He also had a tome hanging around his torso. He wore simple brown boots. He bore a huge gash on his hind-leg and a thorn sticking out from his flank. His cutie mark is a tome that had energy flowing out of it.

"Sir! Are you alright?!" Luio called out.

"Retreat! They have come!" He replied

They broke into a gallop to the pony.

"Who has" Caitlyn asked,

"The void... someone took my scroll... They opened the portal! We must stop them!"

"Luio! Get this pony some aid! Skarner and Kennen, come with me!" she turned to the hurt pony, "What is your name?"

"Ryze..." He replied weakly

"Can you point me to the direction of where this portal is?"

He pointed west of them. They made no heasitation as they bolted off.

Within mere moments, they easily spotted the very large portal that created a very loud sound. Caitlyn quickly checked upon the very peculier and large footprints that dotted their path to the creature that came from the portal. She said it simply smelled revolting, but something worth their concern. Caitlyn asked Kennen to send Shining a message concerning their case. She requested immediate backup to their aproximate location. He sent the letter and got started with the others to the case. After 5 minutes of looking for any other clues, Luio and Ryze shows up. Ryze immediately casts a spell that closed the portal without warning anyone.

"Why did you do that?" Asked Caitlyn,

"So no more creatures will wander out." he said

"Do you fear these creatures?"

"Its not that I fear them soldier, its that i fear they will grow strong enough to be unstoppable from anything."

"I see..." she was cut off by a very close and loud stomp just a few metres behind her. She turned to face the beast as it's roar deafened the whole group.

"Its Cho'Gath!" The blue pony bursted, "Surpress it before it can do anything!"

But it was too late as they all were knocked up into the air.

Author's Note:

Sorry or the late submission
I've been caught up in studying for school, napping , and playing ranked

Anyways, tell how you like the story so far or feedback, or just request a champ

Dont forget to thumbs up ^_^