• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 12,421 Views, 121 Comments

The Crystal Vanguard - Skarner



An ancient dreadnaught has awoken in The Crystal Empire, also awakening a new threat. One that nothing in the world could ignore.

  • ...
21
 121
 12,421

Chapter 15: Childish

"Never let go of your inner-child."

~Unknown

"Just a bunch of no-good horse-apples of bucking tartarus, frikkin' stupid bucking..." muttered Sejuani as she stomped about. She took the backdoor to the less-visited part of the courtyard, sparing the locals her atrosive vocabulary. Bristle nudged her affectionately, trying to cheer her up. Semi-convinced, she gave him a deserved scratch behind the ears. She smiled as he repeatedly stomped his hind leg in bliss.

"What are you doing here?" Sejuani heard a distant voice just around the corner, "This is pony territory!" the feminine voice hissed. Curious, Sejuani decided to investigate; their conversation seemed really sketchy so far. She hushed Bristle, warning him to keep quiet... or else...

She tip-hooved to the corner, planning to remain concealed until she realized what she was going to confront against. She peeped an eye and an ear...

Lissandra! She screamed inside her head, Who is she talking to?!

"I know this 'meet-up' is not ideal, but it is greatly important." A grudged and deep male voice spoke. He was a blood-red haired troll, with furred boots and gauntlets. He wielded a large ice club, and had rough blue skin... the notorious Trundle. He is rather very well-known in Freljord, but why was he having a conversation with the leader of the Frostguards? Suddenly, it all made sense to her: the ice club , the troll attack, the rogue Frostguards.

"Than make it quick and get out of here as soon as possible, before somepony discovers that there is a troll in their midst."

"Yes ma'am. King Sombra has forsaken your request, and escaped to foolishly, take over the Crystal Empire once again."

Sejuani gasped; King Sombra was still alive?

"That arrogant stallion! That curse of his is more annoying than beneficial." Curse? Sombra was under a curse? "This is exceptional news; is there anything else?"

"Yes your highness. I know you only wanted my troll army, but I'd like to make a request to fully join our forces."

"Hmm... very well. It is only logical to have the troll king lead the troll army."

"Lissandra?!" Ashe called from afar, "Lissandra! Where are you?!"

"Go! Get out of here!" Lissandra hissed at Trundle. She called back to Ashe, indicating her location.

"With haste. Farewell your highness." He quickly made his way to the castle's corner, hoping to get out of view before Ashe or somepony else saw him. Lissandra and Ashe both had a tiny talk, before entering the castle. Unfortunately, Trundle received an ice-mace to the face without being able to react. He quickly got knocked unconscious. Bristle swiftly pulled his body in so Lissandra wouldn't notice that she has been compromised, thanks to Trundle.

Bristle caught scent of the troll's fur, causing his nostrils to congest and agitate. He heaved and sneezed loudly. Lissandra peeked out the door, confirming that the sneeze came from where she and trundle had their conversation.

"Come on Lissandra! It's not wise to keep the leaders waiting." Ashe beckoned.

"Yes yes, don't rush the old mare." she returned inside. Sejuani and Bristle sighed in relief, but Bristle was not safe yet. His master gave him the coldest glare yet,

"Hanuk gad ton sheva?! Jelique frack enlisse-cabud mack zou! (What did I say?! No more mud-baths for you!") She hissed in Freljordian. Bristle wimpered, hoping to receive mercy for this one time. "Jelique! (No!)" she smacked the side of his cheek, "Unta bret woret meck hendo flug."(Bring the body and follow me.)


"Ah! So nice of you to return Queen Ashe, and greetings Princess Lissandra." Princess Celestia welcomed them back to the meeting, "Allow me to acknowledge the parts of our discussion that you have missed; when you take your seat of course." she smiled warmly.

"Thank you Princess Celes--" Ashe took notice that Sejuani sat in a seat beside her, and another cushion on Ashe's side assumingly for Lissandra. Luna also took notice of Ashe's surprised face.

"Hast thou not been informed of thy sisters' involvement in the meeting?" She asked.

"What are you doing here?" Ashe demanded, "You never like meetings, or even come earlier than me!"

"Settle down Ashe." Celestia hushed, "Although this may be a surprise to you, our discussions must continue--so please-- take your seat."

"Yes Ashe, sit down. Are you not grateful that we are all united as sisters once again?" she snarled, clearly still mad about their last conversation. Ashe kept silent, but she never lifted her eyes off of Sejuani as she sat down. She tried to scoot further from Sejuani, trying to make as much space between them as possible. Lissandra awkwardly sat in between Ashe and the minotaur chieftain.

"Excellent, now we were just going over the decisions upon the dragon-kind. If they were to co-operate and assist us, surely we must give them some reward. We predict that it is not gems they want, but rather more land since..." said Celestia.

"Anuksa vouler aulach? (What's your problem?)" Ashe whispered to Sejuani, "Rou olk salug aouder nent? (What are you here for?)"

"...That is a fair point, but would more land be sacrificed just to be turmoiled..." The griffon king interjected. Meanwhile Ashe and Sejuani were having a discussion of their own.

"Baluch neguwa san; Lissandra monark tomb fulsh bularg malad candiz tomber hurden Freljord!(You were wrong;Lissandra was the one who is responsible for the fall of freljord!)" Sejuani whispered back. Suddenly, Ashe disruptively stood and slammed a hoof on the table, gaining the full attention of everypony.

"How dare you accuse her again!" yelled Ashe, "So this is what you want?! Huh?! To make myself lose my temper in front of everyone?!"

"Queen Ashe!" Cried Princess Luna, "Calm down at once!" However, Ashe ignored her.

"Well congratulations, you have my bucking attention now!" red-faced, Ashe glared at her sister, waiting for her to make her move. Sejuani stood,

"Do I now?" She began, "Not only is Lissandra a fake, but a traitor! And I have proof!"

"This is outrageous!" Lissandra commented.

"Im starting to grow an interest in ponies." The griffon king whispered to the minotaur chieftain, who nodded in agreement.

"Please! Settle down before I have to take you three out of the room!" Celestia's voice boomed throughout the room, but still did not stop the Freljord sisters.

"Why do you hate Lissandra so much?!" screamed Ashe, "Is she our enemy?!" she rhetorically asked.

"Yes she is!" Sejuani matched her sister's volume, "Bristle!" she called to her boar. Moments later, he smashed through the door, carrying a dead bunny between his teeth. The whole room gasped in shock, except for the griffon king who was uncontrollably laughing. Sejuani face-hoofed; Bristle was supposed to bring Trundle's body. He will definitely not be sleeping in the same room as Sejuani anymore.

"Oh my lord!" one of the leaders commented.

"What is the meaning of this?!"

" Get that disgusting pig out of here!"

"That's enough!!!" Celestia's voice shuddered the whole castle, causing all others to become dead silent, "Freljordians!" she addressed, "Take your shame and leave! How dare you ruin an extremely important meeting, and embarrass all pony-kind!" Everyone was still, not daring to make any movement. "I said LEAVE!" Ashe flinched, and moved to exit. Sejuani stopped her, and pleaded with her eyes.

"You have to believe me dear sister, she has been working with Trundle and now she plans to ally with King Sombra. Lissandra is not the pony she used to be."

Ashe turned slowly, with angry tears streaming down her face.

"Firstly, I'm not your sister." Sejuani's jaw dropped, "Secondly, Trundle and Sombra are dead as I recall from my history texts. Of course you were too dumb to know that." Ashe turned once again and galloped out. Lissandra stood to follow Ashe, making an icy glare at Sejuani. She sighted a smirk on Lissandra's face as she exited, only weakening Sejuani further. The remaining Freljord princess dropped to her knees, and cried like a little filly.


"What the hay is goin' on in there?" whispered Applejack. The mane 6 were listening to the conversation taking place within. Although Twilight did not argue back when Celestia told her that she could not attend the meeting, she curiously eavesdropped. "It doesn't sound good at all."

"Sounds like a really really intense argument." Pinkie stated, "Who do you think is talking?"

"Most likely the Freljord princesses." Said Rarity as-a-matter-of-factly, "What do you think Rainbow?"

"Rarity's right; I can remember that stuck-up mare's voice from anywhere." She hissed, referring to Sejuani.

"Bristle!" called Sejuani. The mares looked at each other in confusion.

"Um... girls?" Fluttershy's voice was shaky, and her hoof was pointed to the charging boar. They screamed as they made room for Bristle, but Fluttershy was frozen in fear. Luckily, Rainbow Dash was able to swoop down and bring her out of harm's way.

They dared not peek in, as carnage ensues.

"That's enough!!!"

...Everypony straightened up and did not make a peep.

"That's probably Celestia." Said Twilight. Never before has she heard her mentor raise her voice so high, or any of Twilight's friends. They find that Fluttershy is not in sight. Rainbow Dash simply shrugged when they looked at her for Fluttershy. Assuming that she is hiding, they decided to look for her later. They listened to the rest of the fiasco inside the meeting room.

Ashe galloped past them, then Lissandra followed.

"Come on girls, if we can re-unite Luna and Celestia, than we can re-unite Sejuani and Ashe." said Twilight as her friends nodded in agreement. Fluttershy emerged from the ceiling and tried to control her breathing. "Rarity, Applejack, and I will take care of Ashe, the rest of you take care of Sejuani. We're getting to the bottom of this: if Lissandra really is an imposter."


The ghostly armour made it's way towards the shore. Ryze was controlling it of course; the spell was successful. It was an all-new experience for him, since he was in a state of an arcane ball, powering an ancient relic. Sarhoth held onto Quinn, and Krypt planned to fly under Ryze and the armour. In case something were to happen, he'd be able to catch him. Before they launched away from the Shadow Isles, a fireball singed Sarhoth's wings, rendering her flightless until she healed. She gently placed Quinn on the ground as she tended her wing, while everyone else looked to see who was responsible.

An apparition of Mordlen stood tall and angry. He roared, shaking the nearby trees and water. Behind him stood Mordekaiser and Hecarim.

"Return us the armour of Illitheas, and we'll spare your life." said Mordekaiser, "Or perish beneath your own ash and blood."

"*SCREECH*" said Valor.

"You're right; we need the armour, and we'll keep it or die trying." Quinn stood in combat stance, "So you can take your metal plots and sit on a tomb stone, because we're not giving it up to a bunch of ghouls."

"So be it!" Hecarim screeched, "May the gates of Tartarus have mercy upon your souls!" He stomped his hooves, trying to intimidate the guards to make their first move. All of a sudden, a torrent of cards came crashing down in front of the guards, revealing the magnificent Twisted Fate... and the allurous Evelynn.

"It'll be mighty smart to back off before you hurt yourselves." Twisted Fate sneered at Morde and Hecarim. They only laughed hysterically at the stallion's threat. At that moment, Yorick, a ghost of Pax, and Thresh emerged from the forest. The guards were at a disadvantage: they were backed to the sea, they had wounded warriors ,and they were on their land.

"Ryze!" Quinn called, "Go return the relic to Zargonath!"

"I will not leave behind my friends!" he replied.

"Just go! We'll die in vain if you don't return the armour!"

"...but--"

"GO!" She turned to fire a volley of bolts at an incoming ghoul from Yorick. Ryze weighed his choices, scouring his mind for an alternative. Eventually, he decided to fly back to the dragon kingdom. Krypt's eyes glowed green, and his spine became more vibrant. He placed a claw on the ground to summon the spirits who were willing to assist them. Thankfully, there were plenty who wanted revenge on their tormentors. Claws,hooves, and ghoulish hands emerge from the ground beneath Morde and Hecarim, attempting to root them in place. While Ryze took to the skies to escape. Behind him, Mordlen and Pax gave chase, but was quickly stopped by Krypt and Valor.

"Good luck my friends." He muttered, before resuming his flight. He did not want to look back; all of Equestria is depending on him.


They waited impatiently, trying everything possible to keep themselves entertained. Ezreal was wondering what Sivir was packing, since she is an hour late. Normally, she would be left behind and forced to do degrading duties, but since she's a VIP mercenary, they can't. Ezreal didn't pack much, it wasn't usual for him to carry bags anyways. As a young colt, he indeed loved adventure. Just like his father. They've rarely met because his father was always away exploring, drinking, getting caught in jail etc. Ezreal used most of his free time to read books. Then one day, he stumbled upon a folklore of Wriggle's lantern. Ignoring the dangers, he sought out to find it. When he returned, his father disappeared.

"Everypony! May I have your attention?" announced Poppy, "As of now, I will not be joining you guys in the trip. It's..." At that moment, two ponies stepped in, interrupting Poppy. One was a stallion and the other was a mare. They both wore seemingly identical armour and coat colour concepts. Instead of a rich light-brown mane, she had a golden mane, that glistened in the slightest light. Ezreal fell-over with his jaw agape. They both had cutiemarks that was deprived from their family's crest, with small counter-parts; she had a yellow and white spark as the background, and he had a claymore as a background. They both had sky-blue eyes, and proud faces.

"General Garrison and Captain Lux." Poppy greeted, "It's a pleasure to have you two on board." Ezreal zipped up to Lux first and shook her hoof violently.

"Hi I'm Ezreal and it's so great to have you come along on our mission!" he said, then General Garrison stepped forth, towering about a feet taller than Ezreal. He reached out a hoof, causing Ezreal to flinch even though he was offering a hoof shake.

"Greetings Ezreal. As you know, I'm General Garrison but I prefer to be called Garen in informal times." his voice seemed to make Ezreal even smaller. However, the explorer wanna-be made an awkward laugh and shook his hoof.

"Hello Garen."

"And this is my beloved little sister, Lux." he gestured his sister to greet the blond pony.

"Greetings fellow guard." she said enthusiastically as she shook hooves with Ezreal. He put on a devilish smile and leaned on his right fore-leg.

"Hey there," he winked, "so how long have you been in the elite guards?"

"Not very long, about 5 months in training and a year in the guards." she said, which was longer than Ezreal's time there, "How about you?"

"Uhh, I forgot?" he lied.

"Okay than. I look forward to spending time with you and our comrades." she replied, while all Ezreal heard was 'spending time with you'.

"Yes, welcome. You can all introduce yourselves when you're at Zebrica. Now move to the teleporter now!" shouted Poppy.


"Are we here yet?!" demanded Annie for the 99th time.

"For the 90th time Annie; we're not." whined Veigar as he slumped through the shady woods of the Everfree.

"Perhaps we might be 'here' after all." said Kassadin, catching the interest of everypony. After constant treading through the muddy forest, everypony needed a good rest. They questioned Kassadin's statement, until they saw what he was referring to. The small town seemed to be ridden with vast purple veins that have grown into the buildings. The grass was wilting, and the dirt had small drops of blood, leading to the inner parts of the town. Beside them was a cottage that was utterly wrecked. Suspiciously, they heard a small yelp from inside. Fiddlesticks was voted to investigate.

"Hello?~" he said in song, "Anypony home?" a rabid purple-veined squirrel rushed to greet him. The squirrel screeched as it dug it's long claws into the bark of Fiddlesticks' face, blinding him with brown fur. He swung his scythe, but very careful not to hit himself... but reckless to destroy the living room. Luckily, Kassadin quickly knocked away his scythe and cut the squirrel in half all in the same motion.

"This town has already been corrupted by the void. It is apparent that it has taken wild creatures too." said Kassadin in a monotone. Suddenly, they heard a scream from outside. Giving up on investigating the house any further, they rushed to assist the fillies. They find a scorched bear with no head, and Maokai's left arm scratched up.

"Don't worry Kassadin," assured Little Strongheart, "Nopony got hurt badly." earning a relief from Fiddlesticks and Kassadin. As they venture deeper into the town, they find a sign that read 'Welcome to PonyVille'. Unfortunately, nopony recognized the town. Although Strongheart said that she had friends who lived here. From where they stood, which was in front of a cylinder building that was ruined, they could see the grand city of Canterlot on the mountain side. It warmed their hearts to know that they were finally close.

"Come on, we gotta get to the city." Fiddle broke the silence. Eager to reach their objective, he began trotting towards the mountain, but stopped and turned to notice that the fillies weren't following. "What's wrong?"

"Shouldn't we stay here for the night?" asked Annie, "It's getting dark and scary." They didn't realize that the moon has risen.

"I agree with Annie, we do not want to encounter anymore creatures until dawn." said Kassadin, "Let us find a place where we can all stay." Everypony nodded in agreement, where as Fiddlesticks was already ahead in clearing the first standing building. It gave the appearance of hospitality, and joy at the same time. On the side that leaned in front of the building read "Welcome to Sugarc--e Co--" the rest was missing from the wooden sign. Cautiously, he once again, stepped into the building.

"Hello?~" he said in a melodic tone, expecting another squirrel to jump onto his face again. With no response, he placed his hooves inside and retried. "Allo?~"

"Stop being a bundle of hay and hurry up!" urged Veigar from behind.

"Yes yes, sorry." he straightened up, letting his guard down and casually checked out the place. There were smashed and rotten cakes and cupcakes on the shelves, and a counter draped in purple veins. He stepped into the room to the left, to reveal a machine that stretched and produced candy, with jars of candy and colours on the shelves. He hesitated to tell the fillies in risk of sugar cravings.In the room opposite, was a simple kitchen that seemed perfectly available for use. Upstairs let to a hall of rooms, one was for children, another was for a more mature pony, and the last one was for what seemed to be a couple's room. On the desk was a picture of 5 ponies smiling. Fiddlesticks returned downstairs to find Maokai having trouble fitting through the front door, and Kassadin and Little Strongheart restraining Annie and Veigar from entering the sweets room.

"I'm going to find proper food elsewhere in town." Fiddlesticks announced, only receiving a grunt from Kassadin. He shrugged, assuming that meant a whatever. He moved past Maokai, who gave up and sat on the porch. However, Fiddlesticks wondered into the house next door, only to find an empty house with an empty fridge. He moved on to the next house. He regretted cutting down a corrupted squirrel, but thankful it wasn't something bigger.

The next rows of houses weren't possible to enter, so he went to the otherside of the street, to come up with nothing once again. Eventually, he came in front of a treehouse that had purple veins covering most of it. It was rather an impressive treehouse, so he decided to give it a try. Inside, was a vast library that seemed to be undamaged. Approximately 30 minutes later, he found a secret stash underneath a bed, but only revealing a useless pile of gems. When he gave up on the search, he tripped down the stairs, in front of the kitchen. He facehoofed for not noticing the room earlier. Thanking the monarchy, he carried food that consisted of hay, dandelions, water, and corn. He ignored the urge to have a flashback from the corn to his own farm, as he didn't have time to dwell.

Once he came back, they were waiting beside Maokai and rushed to greet Fiddlesticks in his return. He was surprised that the fillies didn't get to the candy yet.

"Veigar blew up the candy room." Kassadin briefly explained, as if he knew what he was thinking.

"Yay! Dandelions! My parents used to always give me this for being a good filly." smiled Annie, which surprised Fiddle and Veigar that she didn't grief from the memory that the dandelion gave her.

"Let us go inside and prepare our rest, yes?" said Little Strongheart. Strangely, a purple dot was stained brightly on Kassadin's forehead. Nopony noticed or cared. Then, a void bolt seared through the air, which was nimbly deflected by Kassadin's void blade. From the boutique shop on the hill yonder, another void bolt zipped at Fiddlesticks, hitting him in his left-hind leg. He yelled in pain and dropped the food as the bolt seared the wood.

"Get inside! Go go go!" screamed Kassadin. Everypony rushed to get inside the pink building.

"But what about Maokai?"asked Annie who was shivering in fear. Kassadin pushed Annie inside, then turned to help Fiddle recover the food. Kassadin blocked another incoming bolt as Fiddle galloped inside. He turned to Maokai and took hold of his body. With all of his strength, he rift walked with Maokai into the building but suffering the consequences. Maokai was weakened really badly and Kassadin hurt his legs. Nothing too major. They moved the shelves to block the windows and the door. They waited for something to happen, and they were going to be ready.


Meanwhile...

"Let's go." initiated LeBlanc to her followers. She wore a golden tiara with a shiny ruby in the centre. She had a purplish-black coat, and a violet mane. Her cape matched her mane, as it also had golden outlines and golden interior. She held a long staff that cresented 3 different pink crystals. She had a crystal that was split into two colours; pink and yellow.

Leblanc and her followers were in an alleyway, just behind Canterlot residence. She shot a purple arcane at the unsuspecting guard in the back. Their plan was simple: cause carnage. The barracks of the royal guards were right around the corner, but that was part of the plan. Another squad of the Black Rose sabotaged the building and rigged it to blow, after the guards cleared out first of course... they weren't looking to kill anypony... yet.


There was a knock on the door,

"Come in." said Leona. She awaited for a response, but eventually she ignored the knock. Until it came again. This time, she got up to open it to give quite a lecture at the pony who stood outside. She had a crimson purple coat, with shining golden armour that draped over her hips. Her cutiemark was the mark of the Iron Solari, who were personal warriors/acolytes/councillors of Celestia's.

A royal night-guard from Luna's personal came in.

"Major Leona, we got a riot down by Hayley street!" he reported, "We know that you aren't usually supposed to be participating in night affairs, but Luna has requested that you send your units in too."

"I see. Very well than. Tell her that I will do her bidding."

"Yes ma'am." he took off and beated his bat-wings into the air. Those bat-ponies always crept Leona out. She quickly galloped to the Iron Solari barracks, to alert the warriors of an in-town riot. Thankfully, the rioters were foolish enough to start their carnage near them. The warriors were quick and made their way to the armoury. In their surprise, the armoury blew up, injuring a couple of warriors.

Leona sighed, "Guess we'll have to use our hooves!" She heard the moans and complaints of the warriors of Iron Solari as they rushed out the barracks. Frankly, she too complained. Behind her, the barracks also exploded. Causing cold shivers to run up her spine. She galloped back to check if anypony was left behind in there, and luckily there weren't. Frustrated, she stomped on the ground. "Go get the rioters under control!" she oprdered the lingering warriors. When she got up to follow after them, Leblanc blocked her path, carrying a black rose in her teeth. Without a word, she dropped the rose. With a puff of smoke and sparks, she disappeared.

Author's Note:

Im really sorry, and it looks like the updates are coming weekly but i am trying my hardest as my friends force me to attend parties with them.

It's hard to keep this up with no internet X_X

i think this story is starting to earn the tag 'romance' for the future plots
what do you guys think?

also, am i giving you guys too much to follow? Such as Kassadin's group, Ashe's sisters, Skarner's CMC, Luio's gem hunters .etc