• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 12,421 Views, 121 Comments

The Crystal Vanguard - Skarner



An ancient dreadnaught has awoken in The Crystal Empire, also awakening a new threat. One that nothing in the world could ignore.

  • ...
21
 121
 12,421

Chapter 16: The Dauntless

"Not all those who wonder get lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Tonight, the night had her strangled. Shyvana could barely stop thinking about her father. She constantly ran the whole scene over and over again, hoping to find someway where she could've saved him. The thoughts kept clouding her mind from focusing at the task at hand. She helped to set up the tents and supplies after her conversation with the prince. Ever since, every soldier avoided her as if she was a plague. They truly meant no offence, but that didn't mean that they won't judge her. She overheard one of them saying how dragons eat their own children if they deemed un-fit; which is utterly the most ridiculous rumour she has heard. After all, every mother are the same. While she was daydreaming, she heard faint but gradual voices.

"shyvana...Shyvana...SHYVANA!!"

She snapped back into the world and jumped in sudden fright. She remembered the things that happened now... she had a small chat right after Jarvan dismissed his colts to relax and rest.

...

"Look," he said, "You should relax more; it'll make you seem more likeable, you know: loosen up a bit, have some fun, smile!" He prompted to make her smile with his own.

"If only that is easy as it sounds." she sarcastically huffed. Hopeful that he got the gesture.

"Ah, but it is!" he ushered Vayne to come who was leaning back on a tree polishing her silver bolts. She neither responded or cared. "She has troubles getting to know others too."

"I can be social when I want to, don't try to push me."

"That's exactly what Vayne says all the time!" then an idea popped in his head, "Why don't you go to Vayne for a chat? You both have plenty in common."

"What makes you think I have anything in common with that stuck-up? We said the same phrase to your..." she hesitated to find the respectful word, "Unnecessary request."

"I know you both, so I think this could work."

"Oh, so now you know me as much as an elite who has been working with you for probably more than a year, while you have only met me tonight."

"Exactly, because I know merely nothing besides basics about her."

"Forget it." she turned to leave, but a soldier came forth to have a moment with Jarvan. While they were off to the side to talk, she walked away.

"Shyvana!" he called back, "We're gonna have to know some things first, will you come back with us? Shyvana? Hello?"


"SHYVANA!! HELLO?!" Jarvan grunted in defeat. He brought her here to discuss more about Burdac, instead she just stood there staring into space. They were so close to bring her back to reality the first time, but she just jolted and fell into deep daydream once again.

"Do we really have to deal with this now? We could try again in the morning." suggested his second highest ranking officer, Iron Score

"I'll consider it." he sighed, "Do we have anything else?"

"I believe not sir."

"So be it."

"So let's revise on what we know so far."

"Yes." approved Jarvan, "We know that Burdac flew west, towards the ocean. Potentially, he may resort to sheltering in pony territory if he were to cross the ocean and into the dragon's migration area. However, he may also turn to DireCliff canyon if he were to take a move to south. He may also head to to the northern tribes if he is able to get past the desert north-west from us. Although we are strong, he is stronger. He may very well be preparing a trap and we'll be walking right onto it. We have also gain news to make haste since we have scouts who have returned with distress from neighbouring villages. I have advised them to leave the distressed for now, for it is the dragon's business."

"So what do you think we should do?" said another officer, "Our party is far too small to split into 3 groups strong enough to withhold Burdac."

"Yes, we wouldn't be in this tight spot if we kept following Burdac's trail instead of settling down for the half-dragon." implied Iron Score. He earned a disapproving glare from Jarvan.

"She is a very vital part of this chase, and she may be the one who will finally bring down Burdac. Moving on."

"Yes sir, sorry sir."

"It's alright, I too have worries that her feelings will interfere with her goals." he pointed to the still fazed Shyvana. He sighed, "You are all dismissed, go and rest, we'll continue in the morning."

They saluted in response, then exited in a calm fashion. Now left Jarvan and Shyvana in the tent. He stood right in front of her, and tried to call to her without physically touching her, since he too had fears of her fury.

"Shyvana, come on, snap out of it!" nothing seemed to work... "Shyvana! WAKE UP!" she remained still. "Okay than." he said before he lifted her onto his back, "Please don't kill me if you can hear me." He carried her across the camp, only to realize that she didn't have her own tent. It was not gentlecolt-like if he placed her in his tent, unless he himself had to rest somewhere else. He didn't have any motivation to do this if it won't catch Burdac any faster. So he had her lean on a tree. He then joined his comrades for a chat around the fire.


Kill Burdac, avenge father. Kill Burdac, avenge father. was all she thought about. Soon enough, her mind cleared up and she found herself in a dark forest, leaning back on a tree. Was the prince and his colts all a dream? Was her father's death a dream too? Unfortunately, her hopes were crushed as her left eye caught a flicker of illumination from the campfire. She scoffed, pathetic ponies, thinking they could take down a dragon who has slain lives that equal half of their capitol city's population. She despised her pony-form. Anydrake in her position would loath it as well. It had the other cruel dragons discriminating her, and the supposively peaceful and open-hearted ponies are terrified of her. She had no purpose, nor did she feel she had any purpose in this world.

A minority.

There was one task that she had to finish, and it is clear, "Kill Burdac, avenge father." she said aloud. She burst into a furious fume of flames, and spread out her wings. She lifted off into the dark and cool night, with the moon lightly illuminating the forest.

"Kill Burdac, avenge father."


Meanwhile, further north-east from Jarvan and his soldiers.

Ryze collapsed in utter exhaustion once he barely made it to the shores. He wasn't sure if he was in the right region too. It took every last micro-bit of magic in him to power the armour. He had no plan. He had no one to help. He only hoped that his friends back at The Shadow isles were alright. Before he started his journey and studied deep into the principles of magic, he thought that dragons were intolerant, insensitive, murderous beings. He thought that dragons were unorganized, nor did they have a sane sense of humour, (he has also never seen a female dragon) until he embarked to dragon territory. Most of his studies rarely involved information about dragons, so he was open-minded to learn. He learned that dragons are indeed aggressive, but they are loyal to each other. They have spirit and will as mighty as the Luna or Celestia. They had a side that ponies never indulged on. So Ryze had sincere respect for dragons... his friends.

He fell unconscious before a mere dragon farmer noticed a clump of unscathed metal on the shores, piled on top of a blue unicorn.


"Wow! This is already plenty!" Luio exclaimed excitedly, while gazing into the large trolley of all sorts of gems. Taric truly was great with gems. Taric simply didn't have anything to say, but smile and gestured to return back to the entrance. Luio mustered up the stray gems which fell out of his buckets and backpack and caught up with Taric. As they walked through the plateau, they witnessed the beauty of it which they have not noticed before. It was like looking beyond a plains, which ends with the sunset; it was like one of those scenes from a movie where the cowboy gallops towards the setting sun with his mare beside him. Awkwardly, Luio didn't want to look beside him.

"Let's keep going." he suddenly said, "I gotta get back A.S.A.P you know."

"Right of course, of course." Taric replied, "I guess when the whole continent is in distress, everypony is in a rush."

"I'm glad you--..." Luio stopped mid-sentence, and simply stared into the sunset with his jaw agape.

Confused, Taric was hesitant to ask, "What are you cawing at?" He didn't get his answer immediately, instead Luio spoke slowly.

"You know how to fight voidlings... right?"

"We had limited knowledge, but we have had sessions learning a fair amount of information... I hope that's not what I think it is."

"Let's just put your title 'Gem Knight' to use." he said as they both fled towards the entrance faster than they intended to, with an army from the Void approaching from behind, with Cho'Gath to lead it.


A bright and almost blinding light engulfed the visions of everypony in the room. With a huff of smoke, and sprinkles of magic dust, 5 elite royal guards of different sizes stood within the deceit. It was indeed a very long while since somepony has used the global teleporter, since the Crystal Empire has only reappeared recently. So the guards weren't warned of the side-effects:such as nausea, headaches, immediate fatigue, blurred vision, death, crippling, dismemberment, sudden diarrhea, and/or amnesia. The effects were extremely rare, as far as some believe, if you do not travel with more than 3 creatures. Any number higher will triple your chances of getting the side-effects with each being.

Ezreal immediately threw up his breakfast, Garen kept his stoic pose even when he had a brown and green spot, Sivir fainted, Lux kept squinting to see more clearly, and Kennan experienced yet another massive headache. The high priests who were in the room rushed to assist each of them. Luckily, the effects wore off some-what quickly for some.

"Get them in order and clean, otherwise there will be too much we have seen." the eldest and wisest priests jokingly commented as he glanced at Ezreal. He awkwardly smiles in reply to the old zebra, who witnessed another round of vomit. He smiled too.

Several minutes later, they were back to their normal state, and ready to meet Azen, the top priest.

As they were being guided by yet more priests/priestesses, Ezreal whispered to Sivir, "I think Garen really did have something happen during the teleport."

"What makes you think that?" she whispered back.

"He's more stiff than usual."

"Like I noticed." she sarcastically replied, "He was probably super lucky, and didn't get something."

"Attention up front comrades." Lux ordered Ezreal and Sivir. In their minds, Sivir imagined stabbing her with a million daggers, Ezreal thought of a sick... fetish? Regardless, they arrived at quite an impressive hall, completely decorated and many shades of gold that painted the ceilings and the walls. In the center was a large round table with the priests surrounding it. Apparently waiting for the guards to fill up the empty spaces. The guards politely joined them and was served steaming tea, which brought a soothing aroma.

"Greetings my friends," Azen began, "I am sorry that we have forgotten to have warnings that we had to send. I assume that your superior has already told you your mission, so we have one last decision."

"Of course grand priest Azen." implemented Garen,

"Than we will prepare you for the night, which you will depart at the next sunlight."

"Your hospitality is very much appreciated Azen." bowed Garen. Ezreal, Kennan, and Lux did the same gesture. Sivir purposely stood still and shift her lips to the side, challenging Azen. However, he did not take mind of her own gesture. Once he left the room, the rest of the priests followed. The other zebras, both priestesses and maids, escorted them to their designated room.

Later that evening...

Searing pain succumbed Kennan. His mind was getting another vision that was obviously a deed by Malzahar... or was it? The moment Kennan thought of that question, all seemed to settle down; it's as if that was what the void wanted to tell him! He was trilled that there was another way to end his nightmares. He laughed and hollered at the simplicity of the solution. Was he mad? He would notice if he started acting dingue (means "crazy" in French). He didn't want to 'hang' with his comrades, he felt like frolicking through tall grass and flowers.

"Is he okay?" asked Garen, "Or is he usually like this?"

"Definitely not okay." whispered Ezreal, "His eyes are bleeding, so I doubt that he's usually like this at all. I should know since I've been with him for over a year."

"I see."

"Should we go calm him down or something?"

"I presume that you'll be best fit to converse with Kennan, while I get rest. Goodnight Ezreal."

Ezreal sighed, "Goodnight." He too laid himself in his cot, trying to block out the happy noises from Kennan. He thought about the life he had before he was enlisted, by He drifted off too quickly for himself to stop and... talk... to... Kenna...


"CAW!" cried the little crow.

"Coast 's clear." Fiddle whispered, "Let's move." the group of fillies and supernaturals strolled out of their accommodate. Last night wasn't a pleasant rest, since Veigar wouldn't stop boasting, Annie kept acting negative, Fiddle complaining about his wound, and the bugs that came in and annoyed them. However, they had Maokai who required no sleep (apparently) and kept watch at the window. They had breakfast before they left, so their food didn't go to waste after all.

They kept watchful eyes around them, hoping that the shooter wasn't present.

Unfortunately, it was too soon. With amazing reflexes, Kassadin was able to dodge an incoming bullet. The shooter was clearly stationed at the library tree. So they devised a plan once they were hustled back into the candy shop. It wasn't quite a significant plan, but it was worth a shot.

...


"GO GO GO!" shouted Fiddlesticks, as he ran across the road towards the end of the street. Annie and Veigar followed.

A shot was fired upon them, but it barely missed Annie. Fiddle then summoned his crows to shield the incoming shots. Rapidly, the crows fell, one by one, two by two. The shooter was definitely skilled, but was about to get quite a surprise. Suddenly, the firing stopped, and was diverted to someplace else. Kassadin's sneaky tread towards the treehouse was blown. He was pinned behind a ruined house, making it hard to keep moving without getting hit. Maokai then came charging in down the main path, directly towards the treehouse in an open area. He was able to take some hits before Fiddle arrived to cover him with his crows. Once again, Kassadin was on the move. Unfortunately, he was once again targeted, forcing him to take cover once more. As Maokai moved in, there appeared a peculiar piece of glob in front of them. They decided to pay no attention to it, and walk run around it. It was a mistake.

The glob came alive, and latched on to their legs, despite the distance they had between it. Now open to fire, Fiddle struggled to keep his crows under control to volleys of fire. Kassadin was still pinned, and the others were stuck... buying them perfectly a lot of time.

Suddenly, Little Strongheart lunged at the shooter on the ledge, and got them both onto the floor. Both traded major blows, but Strongheart, true to her name, came out victorious. Help quickly came, and they bounded the shooter to the floor of the ledge.

"You'll never stop the Void! NEVER!" it yelled.

"You can bet on it scum." cried Veigar, but Strongheart recognized that voice, but not the body. Then the images came together.

"Caitlyn?"

"Don't you love the new me?!" she cackled, "Embrace the Void, apprehend power beyond your desire!" she cackled once again, frightening poor Strongheart, causing her to back away.

"I say we keep her hostage." sneered Fiddlesticks.

"What use would that be?" Kassadin asked rhetorically, "We must execute her, making less numbers for the void army."

Before they could even act, she disappeared in a blinding flash. They were all surprised, but they were more disturbed that who was once a pony, could become so... different. It made them silently realize that Kassadin has dealt with this himself, yet he did not change his heart. Finally, they stood up from the spot Cait vanished from, and looked to Kassadin for the next course of action. He knew just what to do.

"Let us not dwell in this town, we must keep moving to Canterlot." he turned to leave, but no one followed.

"Come on!" enticed Fiddle, "The sniper may come back if we stay."

They agreed mutually that they didn't want to run into her again, so they came up behind Kassadin. Just as they left town, they found the grand city of Canterlot just looming on the side of the mountain. It looked perfectly fine from their point of view, which was good news. The only issue was how to get up there.

"I guess we could climb up." suggested Little Strongheart, "It's far and steep but we could do it."

"I prefer a more efficient solution." said Kassadin, "Are there no roads leading to Canterlot?"

"What about those train tracks?" Fiddle sighted the channels of caves, with train tracks running through them. They indeed lead to the city, "We just have to find the train station near here."

"Assuming that there is a working and running train to use."

"Can we at least check?"

Kassadin thought for a moment before he replied, "Would be logical to. Lead the way."

"With pride!" Fiddle huffed his chest to improve his statement, "Now we just have to find the train station."

"On it!" saluted Little Strongheart, "I'll be as quick as possible."

"We shall be right behind you Strongheart." said Kassadin. She nodded and leaped away to kickstart her run around the town. The rest of the group followed behind her, while keeping a watchful eye for any trouble.

It didn't take long to find the train station, but they sighted no train in sight. They obviously didn't expect one to come by to pick them up, right?

Inside the station, they decided look around for any useful things, food was priority. Fiddle stepped into the building, finding that everything was clean, aside form the dust that has accumulated from lack the of accommodates. He hears a strange cackling sound. Cautiously, he scanned the next room for the source of the sound. He finds a radio left on, that seems to be on. Although it is familiar, he did not know how to use it at all. on the front was a panel of many different dials. On top was microphone, and the back was many intricate wires, leading to another dimension.

Suddenly, a static voice blurted from the radio, "Hello?!"

Fiddle jumped back, startled by the sudden voice.

How do I work this damn thing?! he repeated in his mind while he frantically tried to find a way to reply.

"Is anypony there?" the radio continued, "Hello?

"Yes! I'm here!" yelled Fiddle.

"Can anypony hear me?" the colt on the other side of the radio did not get his message.

"What is going on in here?" Kassadin asked as he stood at the doorway. Without a word, he observed the scene, then held down the 'reply' button.

"Yes, can you hear us?" he said.

"Oh my stars! We actually found strays!" the colt on the radio cheered, "Alright, stay put, we're sending the train to the station. Please inform us which station you're at if you choose to accept our rescue."

"Crud! Where are we?!" asked Fiddle,

"We are in PonyVille's train station. We will be waiting."

"Alright, I hope to see you back in Canterlot." he stopped giving signals. The blinking light on the radio device indicated that it was available for another transmission; they had to stay put until help arrived.

Kassadin sighed, "Nice job Fiddlesticks. Now we must find ourselves a place to rest until they arrive."

"Why do I have to do everything?" he responded in a sassy attitude.

"Very well. You stay outside to watch the children, and I will look for some food."

"Sounds good to me." he said with a smile. He frolicked outside to find Maokai staring into the town. He ignored him, so he went to check on Annie, Veigar, and Strongheart. They were asking Strongheart about her home and culture, what it's like to be a buffalo. Maokai moaned, catching the attention of everypony. He was still staring in the same direction.

"What's the matter Maokai?" asked Annie, he answered with one action and word.

"Look" he pointed beyond the city buildings. They couldn't see what he was seeing because he was 3 times taller than any of them. However, that became irrelevant since it was clear now.

In the distance, was an approaching void army, lead by Caitlyn.


Shortly after the dismissal of the Freljord sisters...

Celestia sighed deeply, "I apologize for that. This meeting has failed, half of our leaders, including the Freljord sisters, has left on such short notice, yet we have not been able to get through many important matters as I wished to."

"Enough moping!" cried the Zaun king, who has been quiet for quite a fraction of the meeting, "If we want to move on, we simply move on. So come on! With limited food and supplies, we will wipe out if we continue to hide behind our walls!"

"Lower thy voice my lord. Your temper is getting dangerously high." said Luna through gritted teeth.

"Calm down, I'm sure we our supplies will last us long enough for 5 months. We finished harvesting season recently."

"But I haven't!" said the Ursine chieftain, "Our harvesting season is due in 3 weeks, and my people have evacuated their farms! We will not be able to last 5 months your highness."

"Sheesh." the griffon king whispered to the minotaur chief, "Like things can't get any worse huh?"

Just then, a stampede of messengers and squires rushed through the door, blabbering many different things. It was hard to hear even one of them. Celestia stomped the ground, emitting a resonating silence. All stood still, not prepared to test a demigod's powers.

"In an orderly fashion, please give us your messages." she calmly said, but nopony did not want to talk. Another messenger, this time from Luna's protege, bursts through the door.

"Princess Luna!" he cried, "We have an imminent void invasion incoming!"

"From where?!" she shouted back.

"From South-East... where they have wiped out Fillydelphia."

Everypony gasped.

"How close are they to Canterlot?"

"They have 30 minutes until arrival."

"Motherbucker!" Luna cursed, "Mobilize the forces! Now! "

"Yes your highness!" and he quickly went off.

"We're under attack too" said the griffon king's messenger,

"Our's too!" said the small minotaur who was his leader's messenger.

"We are also under invasion!"

"We too!"

Celestia, who had her jaw wide open, breathed out and did not blink, "Oh Gaia, what shall I do?"

Author's Note:

Whoops!!! Sorry guys!!!! I accidentally published this chapter before it could finish >.>
...

and i accidentally deleted the whole chapter.... *le sigh*

So im super duper sorry that i didn't get this chapter fast enough at all. Guess i have experienced my first major writer's block. Im not sure how im going to make it up to you guys at all.

also, for now, no more new suggestions, the whole future story has been revised and planned out, which does not include every champ... yet ;)

Also, please tell me what you think of the story so far, if i made any mistakes in both the plot and grammar, or just say hi

next chapter will not take as long as this (pinkie promise:Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye, so if you lie to Pinkie Pie, she will come and you will die)