• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 12,421 Views, 121 Comments

The Crystal Vanguard - Skarner



An ancient dreadnaught has awoken in The Crystal Empire, also awakening a new threat. One that nothing in the world could ignore.

  • ...
21
 121
 12,421

Chapter 5: Elite Freebee

Kennen stopped by a bench then slopped onto it. The effects from both his hangover and the sea still lingered. This wasn't too far from the barracks so he's been told by Shining to rest until he got better. The other three went on to find the off-duty elites. They decided to start by looking for Alistar. They began their search the moment they stepped into the west side of Canterlot. It was shanty, but sophisticated enough to be somewhat hygienic. In other words: ghetto but lovely.

They talked about the void, discussing their thoughts and questions of it. Luio was the one being the most enthusiastic; he thought if the void had inhabitants, would they have a sophisticated city? Caitlyn was more interested in the weaknesses the creatures of the void may have. Such as Cho'Gath, if she can keep her distance, its possible that she can defeat the beast without a scratch. Skarner however, wondered about the fear that can ensue. He hasn't quite thought about his own greatest fear, which made him worry. What could possibly frighten a Brackern?

Caitlyn sighed,

"This is impossible! Unless he has a well known reputation of a lord, we will never find him with no leads!" she huffed in frustration. Especially when she has always found her target pony without distress.

"Do not worry, I believe we will be able to find him." Skarner comforted Cait, "We do have Equestra's best detective." She shot him a cold glare. As if his compliment didn't make things any better.

"Then why can't 'Eqestria's best detective', FIND A MINOTAUR?! He's gotta' be large! Making him easy to spot!" she snapped at him.

"Perhaps he may be in his home."

"He lives in the barracks. How could he possibly be at his home?!"

"Perhaps to visit?" Skarner rolled his eyes, but he lacked the pupils to do it.

"Minotaurs don't have those kind of homes in Canterlot! They only come as travellers or merchants, or in this case: a guard!"

Skarner sighed,Women.

"hey guys..." they barely heard Luio say,

"Shall we split up? So we can find him faster?" Skarner added,

"No no, it'll only make things more complicated."

"Guys take a look at this." again they barely paid attention to him.

"We can muster the librarian, the minotaur and the rat all at once!" Skarner exclaimed, "We'd more efficient that way!"

Luio got in between them both, "STOP IT YOU TWO AND TAKE A LOOK AT THE POSTER!" ,they gruffed then turned to see the poster Luio pointed to. Caitlyn raised an eyebrow as she saw the graphic of two minotaurs. The title read 'Pony Brawl: Ali VS. Iron!'

"Well thats convenient." said Cait, "Does it say where?"

Luio took a much closer look at the small prints on the poster,"Says information is available..." he then frowned, "only at the 'clerk'."

"Means its a reference to an anonymous pony who will give you the location once you gain his trust."

Luio facehooved, "How are we going to find that clerk?"

"You doubt my abilities?" Cait sneered.


"...Thus leading us to the possible pony, GhostScript, who is a retired Royal scout/courier." said Cait, it made Luio's eyes blank as his mind was also blank. Skarner merely nodded.

"Makes perfect logical sense, except GhostScript would've been suspected as an agent of the Royal Guard, thus not trusting him to such information."

"Ugh! you guys are over-analysing!" Luio complained.

"Over-analysing?! I'd consider this under-analysing!" she huffed.

"Lets just find GhostScript and see if he can tell us anything." said Skarner.

They nodded in agreement, "Now we have to figure out where he could be." Luio prodded at his chin in thought,

Caitlyn rolled her eyes, "We already know, we mentioned it while you were dazed." she starts trotting down the street, deeper into the city. Skarner and Luio followed behind her.


Shining got his battalion in formation. They stood by for his further commands. Swain and Teemo inspected the tracks that a mysterious creature left behind. Curious, they follow the trail into a wide pasture; they were confused when the tracks disappeared without a trace left. Teemo took up his telescope and climbed onto the highest tree. Swain used his runic magic to inspect the biological aspects of the footprints. The battalion also looked around for clues or any traces of odd tracks.

Suddenly, a bone-chiling roar echoed through the forest.

All Royal Guards quickly got back into formation with Swain's communication skills. Teemo however, glanced in the direction where he heard the roar with his telescope. All he could see were trees falling which roughly indicated where it was. He signaled Swain and pointed to the direction it was coming from. Swain nodded in acknowledgement and readied the guards. They pointed their spears and stood firmly in place. Teemo's eyes opened wide as the mysterious beast came into view. The guards can see the demented legs of the beast, could it be a manticore? They doubted that it was a dragon since such would've been flying towards them instead.

A glob of acid goo fell upon the guards; they were morally shattered. The barrages of acid globs easily crippled their numbers as it kills a pony within a second. Teemo and Swain got their guards together and charged at the behemoth and his worm-like accomplice.


"Hey hey now! Easy easy!" GhostScript begged, as Luio pinned him to the door, "You don't have to interrogate me for the info! Geez!" Ghost was a white pegasus with a matching mane. Hence his name 'Ghost'. His mane hung down covering only one eye and slightly surpassed his chin. His cutie mark is a piece of parchment, trailed with smoke. It represented loyalty, reliable, and stealth.

"Tell me wher-- what?" Luio paused to take in what he just said,

"LUIO!" Cait pulled him back from Ghost,"Let me handle this."

he sighed and came beside Skarner, mumbling to himself.

"We trust Royal guards, its nothing illegal because we're just a business that is looking into legitimate stuff. Its the ones who threaten our audiences we are avoiding." said Ghost, "Which includes mafia members; we got rivals."

"I see, so you would be willing to give us the information we need?" said Cait as she raised an eyebrow,

"Dispite my first impressions," he glared at Luio, "sure as long as you mention our name into the media." he smirked

"Rather small payment, but i'll agree with that."

"Lets bump to that ma'am." they hoof bumped, "So heres a copy of the area." he handed her a piece of map that had a circle around a particular building. "The password is foreigner and it's in the basement."

She nodded and thanked him as the 3 guards parted.

"Let me handle things next time Luio," said Cait, Luio drooped his head in shame, "I'll just leave you to help me interrogate."

He gleamed a smile at the proposal.

"We won't have to wait until the match starts, it'll start the moment we get there if i predicted correct." inquired Skarner, the group smiled at their convenience and continued walking in silence.

They observed the shanty homes and shop clerks advertising their name. Somehow, the place seemed peaceful. There was a hidden beauty that the ponies and their friends gave off. They turned a corner which showed a whole new side of the town section. You could see homeless ponies ravaging through scrap in the cans, ponies arguing at a local diner,and not to mention the dirty looks they gave them as they passed by.

When night fell, they finally arrived at the seemingly innocent warehouse. Skarner knocked on the door, and was barely opened. A pony who stood behind it stared at us for a minute. Then they realized he was waiting for the password. Cait whispered the password then he nodded and led them in. He took them into a hall that had drapes over the end of the hall. The drapes revealed a door. Once they stepped through, they were awed by the sight of a large arena and crowds of ponies.

The announcer stood in the middle of the stage and introduces himself.

"Mares and gentlecolts! Tonight, we witness the anticipated showoff between Alistar!" he was interrupted by the loud applause and woots of the crowd. The guards stood on the back bleachers that was right next to the door they entered. "and Iron Wil!!" the crowd once again roared in excitement. Luio couldn't help but join in. Cait however went up to Alistar's manager who was tending to his fighter at one corner of the arena.

"I need to talk to Alistar!" she demanded, "Its for very important matters by the Royal Guards!"

he turned to face the mare, "Sorry sweetie, can't it wait until after the match? Fans get hasty when the show is delayed."

"No! This is urgent! His duty ca--" the bell dinged twice, indicating the match is ready.

Alistar and Iron Will got up and glared at eachother. Their eyes were so close, that their horns crossed. Alistar was a mix of purple-blue skin with bright blue hair. He had lumps over his shoulder (and they sorta had a sharpness to it's tip) and scars all over his body and arms. He wore chains around his wrists; nopony dared to question it. His horns were brown, and branched into one tip that was horizontal, and the other pointing up. Iron Will had similar features, but instead he has dark brown mohawk, and his horns were silver. They only branched one tip. They both had nose rings, while Iron had a tie around his neck.

"You mess with the bull! You get the horns!" Alistar taunted,

"You dare taunt me! I'll haunt you!" he snapped back,

"Remember fellas! No dirty tricks! No limb breaking! BEGIN!" said the announcer as he backed off.

"When somepony blocks your path, you give them your wrath!" Iron charged at Alistar and slugged at his abdomen. Ali however, did not wince and raised both of his fists then smashed Iron to the floor. Iron recovered only to be smacked by Ali's fist. He grabbed Ali's shoulders and pushed him to a corner, then he charged in horns first. Ali grabbed his horns just before he reached him then directed him to the ground. Iron used the opportunity to grab his legs and trip him. Before Ali can recover, Iron pulled him and whammed him into the corner pole.

Iron laughed in triumph, and by letting his pride overcome him, Ali quickly dashed forward, horn first, and rammed Iron into the other side of the pull. The impact was harsh. Ali then stepped on Iron's tail causing him to yelp loudly. Iron uppercutted Ali sending him flying a bit. He then drew back his fist and punched Ali's face as he fell. It sent Ali falling to the ground behind him. Iron grabbed Ali by the horn and kneed his abdomen. Ali didn't falter; he pummeled the floor below Iron, with enough power to knock him up into the air, then headbutted him into the pole again. This time, Iron struggled to regain himself.

Ali wanted to prevent him to recovering so he knocked him out with a powerful bash to the face. Iron laid on the floor as the ref called him out. Victorious, Ali bellowed in triumph and the crowds cheered "ALI! ALI! ALISTAR!"

When he was done talking to his fans and his manager, Cait confronted him.

"Hello Alistar, as a member of the Royal Guard, Shining has requested of your service."

He raised an eyebrow, then slowly nodded, "Its been awhile since i've been on the field." he smirked, "How's Xin Zhao faring?"

"Xin Zhao?" she questioned,

"He's known as SpearLift."

"Ah yes! He's just slacking off and chatting with the guards who are off-duty. But there is a matter in our hands that all of Equestria is threatened."

He raised an eyebrow, "Please, fill me in as we walk to our next objective."


Teemo swiftly dodged the large beast's talon then shot a poison dart in it's eye (ouch!). It roared in pain. Royal guards jabbed at it's legs, causing it to slightly limp. The worm-like creature shot rapid shots of corrosive goo; it melted right through their armour. Their numbers were quickly dropping as the large beast held off the guards away from the worm creature. It spat at many guards, causing them to falter, they had no choice but to retreat. Swain shot a bolt of green fire, crippling the worm creature internally. Despite it's pain, it kept spitting at them. As the guards fell back, the large beast stomped the ground, causing a rupture of impaling pillars to burst out of the ground beneath them. With almost all of their numbers lost, only Swain, Teemo and several other escaped. They came with 75 ponies, and is left with 7.

They struggled on their way back to the Crystal Empire. What turned from a simple reconnaissance party, into a devastating waste of good guards. What burdened them most was the fact that they couldn't retrieve the fallen bodies for a proper funeral and burial. Their friends died so easily, they barely had a chance. Swain almost lost his beloved companion, and Teemo's arm was infected which may have to be amputated. They meet Shining outside of the city and wore a look of horror when he saw how many were left.

"This threat... is more grave than we imagine Shining." Swain rasped, "We didn't have a chance against just two of them."

Shining gulped, "Is this all that is left?" he motioned to the crippled soldiers that survived.

"Unfortunately yes," Swain lowered his head, "Teemo needs immediate medical attention."

"Of course. MEDIC!" he called to a shaking white pony behind him, "Get him into the med room!" he pointed to Teemo and couple of other ponies. The white pony nodded and gestured for her fellow medics to follow too. They made quick work to bring the guards into the nearby hospital. The rest insisted that they walked the rest of the way. Shining and Swain stood alone at the Crystal Empire rift.

Shining sighed, "If what you say is true, then I will call upon Celestia. Hopefully the other kingdoms will trust in our discovery."



Ponies glanced at the strange group. Of course a Minotaur along with 3 quirky ponies will get attention. They walked down the street ignoring the attention that they're getting. They agreed earlier to get agent 'Twitch' next, since Alistar is already aware of where he would roughly be. He lead them through turns of corners through the city to finally stop in front of a large gate that stood between them and a large factory.

"Hm... definitely different from the last time I was here." he scratched his chin in thought. "It was more... smelly if you will."

"What makes the difference?" Luio clenched his nose at the putrid stench that the factory gave off.

"It used to have a hint of rotten eggs. Now its just puke and athlete's hoo--"

"Okay okay! We get it!" snapped Caitlyn, "Lets focus on our task."

They nodded in agreement. Ali pushed open the gate casually, and began trotting down the path leading to the entrance.

The observed the title above the entrance which read 'Canterlot Blacksmith workshop'. The factory had grey smoke fuming atop; it's windows were tinted so it's insides weren't visible. Alistar was the one who knocked on the door. Moments later, a fine dressed stallion answered the call. His bronze mane matched his coat, and his suit concealed his cutie mark. He merely nodded and said,

"Twitch isn't here at the moment Ali. He is in downtown in a poker game."

Alistar kept his eyes on the stallion.

"Oh, alright. Thank you for the information." said Cait as they began to walk off. But Ali raised his arm to stop her.

"Come on JackelPlay," he said with a smirk, "Don't trust me still?"

Jackel smiled, "He's having dinner. Come on in fellas." he gestured them in.



The factory was definitely smaller than it looks from the outside. They had armour and weapons at one section of the factory, while at the back they had racks of gears similar to Caitlyn's gear. They mounted rifles, packed craters of ammo, and gizmos atop desks. Whatever Twitch was up to, it must be massive. Cait shrugged at the sights while Skarner, Luio and Ali were letting their eyes absorb the scene. Twitch's workers didn't lift their eyes onto them, as if they were trying to ignore them. They bustled at a steady pace, lifting and tending their machines and gadgets. Jackel led them through the backdoor which reveals a completely different manner of the place. All of a sudden, the environment is drudgery and dull.

They assumed this was how Twitch liked it. They took the stairs which was at the end of the hallway which leads down. The further down they went, the more musty the air got. Eventually they touched ground then Jackel opens another door for them. They trotted into a large room with long tables accompanied by ponies. At the end, Twitch sat on a high chair. His yellow eyes gleamed as he notice the group of guards walk in. The ponies eating on the tables paid no attention to them. Skarner was able to get a clearer look at Twitch, he had a frizzled dark green mane ,that did not go past over his eyebrows, which matched his jacket. His coat was a lighter shade of green, but no doubt that its still a bit dark. He was small for his age; and rather stubby.

"Alistar! It has been awhile hm?" said Twitch as he approached with open hooves, his voice was coarse but smooth. Like a gentlecolt who had plagued lungs. "Please! Come dine with me!" he gestured to his table, "We're having the classic Cassoulet today." he smiled warmly.

The group no doubt were hungry, having they were busy finding the elite guards with no time to stop and eat. They each nodded at the offer which made Twitch's smile even bigger.

"Laddle!" he called to the server, "four bowls this way!" he commanded. Laddle eagerly nodded then hurried off to the kitchen. "You may return to yer duties Jackel."

"Always boss. See ya 'round." he turned and left the group. Laddle immediately came with 4 steaming bowls of carrots, tomatoes, and beans; it was traditionally supposed to be served with sausage as it was from Prance's dragon kingdoms. Luio eagerly dug into his bowl, as did Ali. Cait took her time, not letting her hunger make her look like a hungry manticore. Skarner also took his time, but momentarily slowed down. He was crystal! Not flesh, so he just converted it to heat. He decided he didn't want to offend Twitch's chef today.



Ryze was accompanied by an elite pony, even when he was supposed to have two at his side. However, she had a large blue eagle soaring above them. Their names were Quinn and Valor. It was obvious that they were close companions, which amused Ryze. Never has he seen a strong bond between a creature and pony. Quinn wore blue and gold armour. Gold plates covered her blue coat. He mane was folded in her helmet, but he noticed that it was brown from a strand that hung out. She wore a feathered cape over her torso stretching to her tail. She also had a bolt-pistol holstered on her side. Her blue eyes stared forward.

Finally they stepped onto dragon territory with no trouble so far. They only hoped that no trouble would come forth for awhile. But if the situation had to come, they were ready.

...

A few miles ahead, Ryze has been explaining to Quinn about his learning of the Void and it's creatures. Quinn did a good job of keeping her posture from turning into panic. He mentioned the creature he encountered, the visions he kept seeing, and that his scroll holds the recipe of a portal rift between their worlds. Valor screeched above warning them of an approaching dragon. Once it came closer, it was clear that dragon the didn't show any aggression.

"Halt travellers!" she bellowed, her scales were deep red and her spines were also red with some gold outlines, "This land is strictly off limits to on-passers." she warned.

"We come to seek audience with your kingdom's leader." Ryze spoke,

She scuffed, "Kingdom? you mean tribe? Our kingdom has broken into many tribes after the civil war. If you seek to speak with Zargonath, then I shall guide you there." she bowed. Ryze and Quinn looked at each other with satisfied looks. It was easier than they thought. Valor perched onto Quinn's back and so they followed the large purple dragon. It seemed too hospitable to Ryze ;he kept his caution up.



"Here you are! make yer selves at home! We'll talk in the morning." he gestured to their dorms, "Ta-ta!" he left and closed the door gently behind him. Alistar was staying with Twitch while the 3 guards will slumber in the one room. It was fairly large and proper. Although it was clean, the stench was almost bearable. They suddenly noticed their fatigue gnawing at their nerves. Sleep tempted them. The three guards began making their beds to get comfy for tonight. Luio set his bed quite close to Cait's. Skarner quickly slipped into his sleep; his breathing heaved gently. Cait sneezed and shivered when she laid down. The room was musty and chilly. The window was broken open which made it even chillier. Luio noticed this and approached her.

"Need another blanket?" he asked,

"No thanks. *sniff* Im fine but thanks for offering." she replied.

"Alright than, suit yourself." they let the awkward silence take them. Caitlyn again sneezed softly.

Luio raised an eyebrow at Cait, then knowing what she wanted, Luio gave her his blanket.

She thanked him softly under her breath. Luio simply nodded and laid his head on the soft straw. He then shivered as the chill touched his flesh. He tried his best to stop his nostrils from congesting, or rather sneezing. He huddled himself, even throw straw on himself to insulate himself from the chill. His eyes would keep clenching whenever he closed his eyes; they also made him uncomfortable if he opened them. he wondered if he'll get any sleep tonight.

Cait nudged Luio with her hind legs to get his attention.

"Come here..." she said,

"Oh don't worry Cait, im fine here." he gave a weak laugh,

She tilted her head in impatience, the look was enough to make Luio get up. He trotted over to Cait. She opened the covers to let him in beside her.

"You seemed cold, so why not cuddle for warmth you know." she said as he laid beside her. She lifted the cover over Luio to tuck themselves in. "The least I can do for you really." Luio was blushing madly, but did a great job hiding it. They scooted closer to wrap eachother with their hooves. Cait sighed; Luio sighed too. Their body heat did indeed keep them very warm. He wanted to let this moment last longer, and secretly Cait did too. Unfortunately they fell fast asleep in eachother's hooves.



They walked on for many miles, without a word. Luna's moon casts a dim light, enough to let them see the horizon. Finally the red dragon spoke.

"Do not think we have any intentions to harm you travellers." she bowed her head towards the two ponies, "But I have heard of your Void stories blue one." she lifted her gaze upon him.

"You'd like me to tell you them?" he asked, he would wonder how she knew later,

"No. My father is very ill." she engulfed herself in bright red and yellow flames to change herself into pony form. "I am Shyvana, my father gets visions of the Void horrors. Perhaps you can help him with you knowledge." Even in her pony form, she is a pegasus with red plates with gold outlines covered her blue coat. Her mane also shared the same characteristic. Her eyes were yellow and filled with grief. Ryze notices the loneliness in her spirit.

Quinn and Ryze had their eyes wide open at the sight of a dragon-hybrid. They never had seen or heard of one. Once they gained back their minds, Quinn was to speak.

"Will he also be able to hear our word for him?"

"Of course! My life will be in debt to you if you help him; no doubt his will too."

Ryze looked onto Quinn then nodded, "We'll do our best to help."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the late submission! I gotta stop reading romance fics XD

Anyways, There won't be another update for another chapter for about a week because i'll be re-editing my previous chapters. I noticed flaws and contradictions to itself and it's not pretty XD

Please do not heasitate to comment your opinians on the story so far, and dont forget to thumbs up!