• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 2,171 Views, 30 Comments

Gone But Not Forgotten - broniefrom93



A series of events strain the ties of friendship and love when Twilight comes back from Canterlot

  • ...
2
 30
 2,171

Chapter 4

Chapter 4


Twilight woke to see the Harmony Crystals laying on her desk. The sun was well on its way to reaching its peak, yet the day was dark with clouds. The only reason she could tell where the sun was was because the clouds were only slightly overcasting Ponyville. She could see the hazy form of the sun and with its piercing light; she saw her room was a mess from last night’s discovery.

"Hey, Twi are you up? This letter just came from the Princess, and I think it’s pretty important," said her faithful friend as he opened up the door to her room and exposed her on the floor with a mess all around her. "Oh man! Are you ok? I came home and thought you had already gone to sleep so I left you alone! I'm so sorry," said Spike as he rushed over to help Twilight.

"Don't worry just please give me the letter please I need to know what she said ASAP," Twilight said. She magically gripped the scroll and opened it up. She read it in no time at all, and once she was done, immediately ran for the door. Spike didn't even had a chance to ask her what the Princess and written on the scroll. He picked it up and started to read it



My Dearest and most Faithful Student Twilight,

I'm overjoyed to hear of your discovery and I wish to congratulate you on learning yet another lesson on friendship and coming that much closer to stopping Discord's final plan. I need you to gather the Elements of Harmony along with the Harmony Crystal and make haste to the Everfree Forest. I trust that you can solve this mystery with your friends and the tools I have given you.

Yours,

Princess Celestia.

P.S. Owlicious is here safe and sound. Luna is looking after her for now, she is very tired but I’m proud of her, as should you be.



Twilight ran to Fluttershy's home near the forest so this way she could fly and talk to Rainbow Dash. She slowed down to a trot so as to not startle Fluttershy’s many animal friends. Fluttershy was outside tending to her chicken coop when she noticed the unicorn making her way to her.

"Oh hello Twilight, how are you...um...if you want to tell me," quietly said Fluttershy.

"I'm sorry to interrupt but I need you to fly up to Rainbow Dash's home and come to the library. I need both of you there as soon as you can," said Twilight with a rushed tone. She turned and ran back off into Ponyville before Fluttershy even had a chance to respond.

"Um I guess I should go tell Rainbow...um right?" Fluttershy asked Angel, her pet rabbit. His only response was to put his face into his tiny paw. "Ok stay here and look after everypony for me, ok Angel?" asked the shy Pegasus as she took off to her oldest friend's home. The white rabbit only shook his head and went back to the house.

Back on the outskirts of Ponyville, Twilight had made her way to Sweet Apple Acres to tell Applejack the news. ‘Gosh, why can't my friends live closer together?’ She thought to herself. ‘Or at least closer to Ponyville.’ Twilight knew better then to go to the farm itself, and went over to the orchard. She could hear Applejack bucking trees with the usual grunt and falling of apples. Sometimes she wondered if apples here grew throughout the entire year.

"Howdy der partner, what can ah do ya for?" Applejack asked. She stopped bucking trees and went to Twilight. She was worn out and looked as though she had been running around Ponyville.

"Hey Applejack, I need you to go over to Rarity's and come with her to the library as quick as you can, I don't have time to explain now," rushed Twilight only taking the time to slow down to a trot to allow Applejack to hear her.
"But what's da situation, sugarcube?" Applejack tried to ask but her voice was lost in the wind as Twilight had already taken off to find Pinkie Pie. "Ah swear that pony knows no bounds in gettin' 'er self in trouble.”

Twilight was nearly out of all her energy when she skidded to a stop near the outside of Ponyville. "What am I doing? I can just teleport there. I could have been doing that this entire time instead of rushing all over Ponyville.” Closing her eyes, Twilight concentrated on Sugarcube Corner and with a flash she was in front of the store. "Wow that saved me so much time," said Twilight to herself, or so she thought.

"Why would you need to save time when you have pie and cakes to eat?" asked Pinkie Pie from above Twilight scaring her. Twilight jumped and landed on her rump giving out a sound like Fluttershy would make when scared.
"Pinkie what did I say about doing that to me?" asked Twilight with irritation.

"Silly, you know I can't control it. I just do things!" exclaimed Pinkie Pie while throwing her arms out, "But why are you here? Don't you have super-duper important secret stuff to do?"

"Yes but now I need all of my friends' help. So please come close and I'll take us to the library," said Twilight as Pinkie Pie bounced next to her. Concentrating again, she teleported herself and the pink pony to her home. Everypony was there already and talking. She could tell they were confused when they looked at her with quizzical expressions.
"Thank you all for getting here so quick, if you give me a few minutes I'll explain everything and why Equestria needs our help yet again," Twilight said. She continued on to tell her friends the story of Discord and his last piece of chaos in their world. They all sat calmly and let her explain, despite Twilight use of terminology that was way beyond their knowledge. When she discerned the truth of her discovery, they all gathered a determined look and their face and she knew shouldn't wouldn't have to ask for their help. "So if you could come back packed and prepared for our journey as soon as you can that would be great. Also don't forget your Elements of Harmony, I still have the Princess's case to hold them all.
"I'll be back in ten seconds flat!" yelled Rainbow Dash as she flew out of the window leaving behind her signature rainbow.
“Oh dear, I'll have to make a new outfit..." started Rarity until she saw the look Applejack gave her, "Or I'm sure I have something already made to fit this."

"You got it sugarcube, ah'll be back in a jiffy," said Applejack as she ran off to get her gear.

"I-I'll go home and get Angel to watch the other animals and find some...um...stuff for this... if that's ok with you" Fluttershy said in her comely voice.

"Of course you can go get your stuff Fluttershy! I'll even come with because I'm already packed!" said Pinkie Pie holding a pack ready for an adventure. Twilight was about to ask how Pinkie would know she need it but new better than to ask.

As her friends left to prepare for their treacherous journey her heart was warmed to see the readiness in their eyes. She will never be able to thank the Princess enough for allowing her to stay here in Ponyville. The joy she got from these ponies could never be discovered from her books back at the palace. Friends really were magical.



Within the next hour all her friends were back and packed. The Elements were in the special case and everything was set.

"Ok Spike I need you to stay here and watch over Ponyville. Nopony knows if the Chaos Crystal will activate sooner or how it might react when we try to stop it," said Twilight.

With a salute Spike stood up straight and said "Yes ma'am. But don't you think I should come in case the Princess writes to you?"

"If she does then you can just send it to me silly, now be good and no parties," Twilight said, and then leaned in so only Spike could hear, "I think Pinkie would be insulted if you threw one without her." Standing tall Twilight addressed her friends, "Alright girls this is our duty to save Equestria once more. We are the Elements of Harmony and with the Magic of Friendship we will stop Discord's final plan to ruin our world." She led the way out of the library and toward the Everfree forest. The mares followed her with Fluttershy taking up the rear with a timid walk.

"Maybe if I can get her far enough ahead or far enough behind I can talk to her. Oh what am I thinking? This is certainly not the time to be thinking of this. This should be over soon and then I can get this over with." Rainbow Dash said to herself flying above her friends.



"So um...we have to go in...Um there?" asked Fluttershy with a scared look. What she lacked in bravery she made up in kindness, but sometimes it hindered the group.

"Come on, it's not like this is the first time we have been here. Besides this time we won't have Nightmare Moon or Discord to try and stop us or slow us down. It's just us and forest." Rainbow Dash said to Fluttershy as she landed next to oldest friend and she put a comforting arm around her fellow Pegasus.

Fluttershy felt better with her friends' support and decided for once she wasn't going to let her fears stop her. This wasn't the time for her friends to worry about her, it was about stopping Discord. But how can you stop who you really are? said a voice in her head. She could have sworn it was her own but she wasn't sure. Her friends were already walking off and she was sure to catch up and not be in the back for once!

Applejack was near the front looking for potential dangers or anything that could slow down the group's travel. She noticed Rainbow Dash was a bit antsy, more so than the situation called for at the very least.

"'Ey Rainbow, can ya come up 'ere and help me scout ahead?" Applejack called to the cyan Pegasus. They both went far enough ahead so they could see the rest of the group but if they talked carefully they wouldn't hear their conversation.

"What's gettin' ya in a bunch?" Applejack asked Rainbow Dash.

"Well I was thinking about talking to Twilight about...you know...like we are now, away from everypony, but I don't want to find out what she thinks right now. Not before this big problem. Then if she says what I'm dreading she might say then it will totally ruin this," Rainbow Dash said with a sigh and landed next to Applejack.

"I understand your problem an' wantin' to talk to 'er, but this probably isn't the best time to bring it up with 'er. Besides we will get this done faster than that competition with those Flim Flam Brothers," assured Applejack, "And then we can finally have that party for you two, I mean her."

"You're right, and I think I can see the- Woah!" Rainbow Dash started to say when she was blinded by a flash of light. She couldn't see but she could hear a voice. One that she thought she would never have to hear again.

“Oh, no I'm sorry. I couldn't help but overhear that conversation you had with your friend. I thought I saw something in your eyes when I talked about her during out last encounter. But for you to confront her about it? Wouldn't it just be easier to grab her and just fly away with her? The world might end but at least it would end with you and her together. I might be even inclined to help you if that's what you wanted," said the faceless voice of Discord.

"No! You tricked me once, but I won't allow you to do it to me again!" Rainbow Dash yelled in no general direction.
"That's a shame, but don't be surprised when you're little quest doesn't turn out the way you imagined," laughed Discord.
Rainbow Dash's sight came back to her but she could only faintly hear her friends. She could only remember a bright flash and laughter but she couldn't tell whose it was.

"Rainbow, Rainbow Dash can you hear me?" asked Twilight to the dazed Pegasus. Her voice immediately caught Rainbow's attention, allowing her to finally hear without the buzz in her head. She looked around to see all of her friends around her looking at her with concerned looks.

"Why is everypony staring at me? We have a disaster to avert right?" Rainbow Dash said with her normal bravado, not allowing whatever had happened to her to stop the mission in the slightest. She took flight and went to take the lead once again but closer to the majority of the group then before.

The rest of the trip to the ruins was uneventful with only having to climb over a fallen tree. The bridge was still in decent condition surprisingly from when all the ponies had come through here all that time ago.

"Ok, ladies before we go in I want to send a letter to the Princess first, I will have to send it with my own magic so it may take longer for her to get it but she must be updated," Twilight told her friends. She sat down and used her magic to pull out a scroll, quill, and ink.



Dear Princess Celestia,

We have made our way to the ruins with only minor problems. We will make our way forth into the ruins to discover the Chaos Crystal and stop it once and for all. I can never show my gratitude for you allowing me to learn the true power and joy of friendship.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle.


Thank you all for being patient (even though you had no choice) but I've been really busy with my father coming back from deployment. I hope you like this next chapter and please leave a comment and don't forget to rate!