• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 2,171 Views, 30 Comments

Gone But Not Forgotten - broniefrom93



A series of events strain the ties of friendship and love when Twilight comes back from Canterlot

  • ...
2
 30
 2,171

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The sun was close to setting in the distance, painting the sky with pink and red hues. A soft gust of wind rustled the trees over Sweet Apple Acres, spreading the sweet smell of apples for miles. The Zap Apple harvest was nearly done and sales had hit an all-time high, which was crucial because the Pegasus ponies had made a terrible storm recently that got way out of hand. It had done a good job of wreaking the farm; shingles had to be replaced, fences fixed. It was going to be a lot of work and money before the farm was back in proper condition.

On the other side of town, at the Carousel Boutique, there was a fashion show showcasing the latest pieces coming from the head designer. Over the years the store's popularity had grown exponentially, ponies even came from the far corners of Canterlot to become the proud owner of an outfit from the Carousel Boutique.

In Ponyville, Sugarcube Corner was closing after a busy day, with them nearly selling all the sweets in the shop. Tomorrow morning would be a busy day dedicated to replenishing their stockpiles for hungry ponies. The store had been successful in keeping a loyal customer base. Everypony in Ponyville knew where to get their birthday or party cake, or even an afternoon treat.

The library had already closed for the day, and the owner was in the process of cleaning up the mess left from all the visitors. It had grown in size with more ponies moving into Ponyville and a higher need for various books on a myriad of subjects. When the expansion became necessary, the loft was converted for holding more books, and a proper apartment was made. The new apartment area was small, but quaint. It included a separate bedroom, a multipurpose flat that served as a kitchen, dining room, and study nook, an unpartitioned living area, and a full bathroom.

A local animal shelter had also been made, but it wasn't a typical shelter at all. The owner had opted to have an open air shelter where the animals and potential pets could live outside. That isn't to say there was no cover. An emergency quarters had been built adjacently for inclement weather, such as the recent storm that had devastated the nearby orchard. Citizens of Ponyville relied on this shelter for everything from pet care, domestic requirements, and grooming to adoption, requesting, and researching their own choices in animal companions.


Discord was behind them and most ponies would never spare it a turn back save for fireplace story telling. But for one group of friends in particular, it had been a unique and enlightening bonding experience that would last them the rest of their lives. For a certain pony it was also the event that finally allowed her to come to terms with her feelings. After witnessing her hero's bravery and dedication to her friends, she never again doubted her thoughts that this mare was the one.

She didn't know how or when she would confront the object of her love, but it would special, and it would be soon. Of this she was certain. It took weeks of painstaking planning, but now it was all finally close to fruition. The date was set and everypony that would help had already gone over the plan time and time again, and there was even a rough contingency set about. Only one problem had come up. Important business from Canterlot had summoned the purple unicorn away. And as always, she left to help her mentor with the utmost haste.

And so the backburner simmered, and time was bided with bated breath.


"Well don’t ya worry there sugarcube. Ah'm sure she’s coming back as we speak, and we are all ready for whenever she does arrive," Applejack comforted while getting from the floor of the library, after a long day of bucking she needed a small rest.

"Yeah this party will be ready lickity split with my new and IMPROVED party cannon!!" exclaimed Pinkie Pie while nearly knocking off the wooden pony statue on the table. She was as excitable as ever, but that was just Pinkie Pie for you. A wad of excess energy so sporadic, it was a wonder all her bouncing hadn’t reduced her to a pink pile of gelatin.

"I know, I know but everything was set two weeks ago! From the party to my...confidence," Rainbow Dash said from the ceiling, she was nearly inaudible for the last word. Ever since she convinced herself to confront Twilight about how she felt, her mood had gone through more ups and downs than one of her own routines. All her friends were a bit worried, but they knew she would deliver when the time was at hand.

"Rainbow Dash, my dear, you worry too much. Everything will be fine; we are all here to support you. The only thing you should be worried about is that mess you call a mane. But I think I've beaten that log to death by now," said Rarity with all of her usual elegance and poise. She gave Dash a warm smile. The white pony had been busy for the past week with a new line ready to come out, but she made sure she had time to be here for her friend.

"Um…if everypony is ok, I-I would just like to point out a hot air balloon over...um… there," Fluttershy said quietly as she pointed toward Canterlot. Fluttershy had been occupying the empty loft and nearly everypony had forgotten her in her silence. Sure enough, Twilight's hot air balloon was lazily making its way toward Ponyille. More pointedly, towards the library.

" Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh! What am I supposed to do?" panicked Rainbow Dash flapping her wings frantically like a sugar-filled humming bird.

"Silly, what did I tell you? We use this!" Pinkie Pie excited squealed as she fired her “new and improved party cannon”. It went off with a powerful BAM. The room was suddenly covered in balloons, not unlike the one currently on its way to the library. Streamers were on the walls and even a cake and punch was shot out of the cannon, landing impossibly flat and clean. "Don't worry about the food either! I already tasted cannon food and it only tastes just the teensiest bit smoky," said Pinkie Pie.

Applejack gave the food a disapproving look but quickly remembered that Rainbow Dash, for all her bluster, would need a good talking to for this. "Rainbow, get down 'ere," called Applejack. Rainbow Dash was still panicking when she landed in front of Applejack. She looked left and right, pretty much anywhere but the orange pony's face. Applejack put her front hooves on the cyan pony and forced her to make eye contact. "Look 'ere Rainbow Dash, look at me." This time Rainbow Dash calmed down a bit, but still shook ever so slightly. "Now we all know how important this is for ya, but ya’ll need to help yerself as much as ya can. We can't tell her how ya feel, only ya can do that. So let's have a mighty fine party, and once the rest of us are gone it will be up t'ya to tell her. Remember that we will be here with ya the whole time though, okay?" Applejack said as she poked her worried friend in the chest, "Got that?"

"You're right, this will be amazing, what could I have possibly have to worry about? With all of my best friends here," said Rainbow Dash gathering her normal attitude and confidence, but betraying a tired smile. All her friends could still see the bit of apprehensiveness she was trying her hardest to fight off.

"SHE'S HERE!!" squealed Pinkie Pie. Everyone rushes to their spots with Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash near the ceiling and everypony else behind a table. Everypony was excited but tried to contain it as to not spoil the surprise for the two guest of honor.

"Um, I think I might have heard Pinkie from the library," said a boyish voice. "Oh, Spike I'm sure you're imagining things. You haven't got much sleep lately, either. So I'm sure that isn't helping, poor thing." said a voice that immediately made a certain rainbow-maned pony blush.

Twilight and Spike entered the library with both carrying bags filled with so many notes they were nearly falling out leaving a trail. Then, Twilight's horn glowed as she turned on the lamp. As soon as she did those five familiar ponies jumped out from behind her furniture (or in the case of two pegasi, dropped in from the ceiling).

"SURPRISE!!" all the ponies yelled, surprising both of the newcomers.

"Whoa!" Spike yelled in surprise, so much so that he fell on his back, spilling the contents of his bag.

"Spike!" groaned Twilight, “those are important! We can't let them get ruined."

"Sorry ‘bout that, ya’ll. Here let me help ya," volunteered Applejack.

"Thank you Applejack, but why the surprise party?" asked Twilight as she gazed at all the decorations.

"Why SHOULDN’T there be a party? We all missed you!" cried Pinkie Pie bouncing around Twilight and nearly landing on the pages that had fallen out of Spike's bag. Twilight winced when Pinkie Pie got close but then realized that Pinkie Pie knew better than to land on papers that were important to her, or at least she hoped so.

"Yeah with you gone who else is supposed to make sure Rarity and Applejack don't go at it and ruin something," smirked Rainbow Dash as she gave Applejack a teasing look.

"What did ya’ll say about me?" asked Applejack from across the room.

"Oh, nothing," said Rainbow Dash with her usual mischievous smile.

"Well that's all very kind of you but I really don't have time for this. The princess is counting on me to help her with a dire situation," said Twilight as she laid her bag down near her desk. It was full of papers just like Spike's, but it had a red box in the center.

"What's the problem? I'm sure we can all help," Fluttershy said with her usual soft voice, who was quiet up until this point.

"Thank you for the offer, really, but this is something I must do on my own," Twilight said pointedly, leaving no room for argument. Everypony was shocked, even Pinkie Pie's hair seemed to lose a little bit of its poof. "Now if you could all leave I have important work I need to get done." Twilight guided her friends to the door. "As soon as I finish, we can have this party. Promise." she finished with a smile.

"Uh, yeah sure...you know where to find any of us if you need help though." Rainbow Dash affirmed. The ponies slowly made their way out of the library and into the night, back to their homes.

"Why didn't you tell them what was wrong?" asked Spike as he finished picking up the last of the papers.

"Because this isn't their problem and...I don't want to tell them about it just yet." said Twilight with a sigh.


Dear Princess Celestia,

I'm pleased that you asked me to come to Canterlot and help you with this problem, and now that I am back in Ponyville I should be able to find a solution to it. What I don't like though is keeping this a secret from all of my friends. I understand your reasons but I still disagree on its merits.

Rainbow Dash seemed the most upset about the whole thing, and I wished I knew why.

The sooner this is over with, however, the better. If only finding a solution to the end of the world was easy.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle


Do not be afraid to comment and give any advice you might find helpful. A shout out to Nazidash for the help with editing.
THANK YOU ALL for reading.