• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 2,171 Views, 30 Comments

Gone But Not Forgotten - broniefrom93



A series of events strain the ties of friendship and love when Twilight comes back from Canterlot

  • ...
2
 30
 2,171

Chapter 2

Chapter 2


"I wonder what the big job is that she needs to get done, must be pretty serious," said Pinkie Pie bouncing as her friends made their way home, "I didn't even get to make full use of my NEW and IMPROVED party cannon."

"Don’t cha worry ‘bout that, I’m sure it's not that big otherwise she would've told us," said Applejack, walking alongside the bouncing pony.

"Yeah I know...but this was supposed to be the night.." Rainbow Dash let out with a sigh, flying above her earth bound friends, "You think she will be done soon?"

"With the personal request of the Princess? Of course! Why else do you think she wanted to start right away my dear?" asked Rarity with her usual elegance and taking her time to avoid puddles and anything to ruin her ‘perfect mane’.


"There is something I must show you, my most faithful student," said the majestic Alicorn gracing the Grand Hallway, “Please lower your magical defenses so I may share a memory with you"

"Is this like the memory spell I used when Discord was released?" asked the always inquisitive Twilight Sparkles.

"Yes it is and oddly enough this has to do with that dreaded monster," said Princess Celestia as she lowered her horn to the much smaller pony. With a soft yellow glow of her horn, it connected with Twilight's head and with a short flash they were whisked away.

After sometime the spinning stopped and they were in the same room but at a much darker and serious time. The current scene played out as it had many months ago with Twilight and her friends running off straight into the chaotic beast's plans.

"You know for such a smart pony she fell for that trap extremely easy" cackled Discord while swimming through the air. "Makes me wonder if this will even be worth stopping the Elements"

"She is more intelligent then you give her credit. She won't be fooled easily," said the proud Princess.

"Oh there is no doubt about that part, but her friends? They will fall first and when they do, she won't be very far to follow at all," said Discord with a wicked smile. "And should they stop me by some miracle on their part, I always have my plan B. This time I'll know when to expect it too!"

"What are you talking about?" said the princess with a dead serious tone.

"Oh I'm pretty sure we both know that you know what I know that I'm talking about? Or maybe it's something completely unrelated. I'm sorry what were you talking about?" chuckled Discord.

She said nothing in response and only returned his remark with a cold stare that demanded and answer.

"You really are no joy to play with. It's not even fun at this point, BUT back to the real point. I know you found out about the Chaos Crystal. Very impressive that you found a way to detect it too. Oh don't give me that look; you think I can't detect something in complete opposition of my power? Shame that you can't locate it though." said Discord with a mischievous smile full of spite. "I won't tell you when it might go off or what could happen, but I assure I you it isn't pleasant"

"We will stop you Discord and we will find the Chaos Crystal!" said Princess Celestia with all her might. "With the help of the Elements you won't stand a chance and your plans will be foiled." She finished with a stomp of her hoof.

"You're so confident but I can see the fear in your eyes. BUT it seems I have a catastrophe to create, I'll see you later princess," said Discord with a wink and disappeared in a flash

The glow faded away from the princess’s horn and she stood erect to her full height. "Now you understand my desire to bring you here to Canterlot on such a short notice. I have tried every possible method, magical and mundane to discover the location of the Chaos Crystal. I feel as though you, being the Element of Magic however could find it and rid our world of this problem," said Princess Celestia. "If you follow me to my room I can give you all my notes and something that can help you so that you may take it back with you to Ponyville and uncover what I could not."

"Princess, if you couldn't find the location why do you think I can?" said Twilight as she followed her mentor to her room.

"My little pony, you have conquered so much and accomplished much more than you give yourself credit for. If I didn't think you could find it I would never give you this burden to bare," said Princess Celestia as the entered her personal chambers. The area was covered in notes of various sizes and from all over Equestria. Just from glimpsing at a few of the pages Twilight could even tell most of the pages were much, much older than herself. In the middle of the room on a pedestal was a crystal sphere. It was just a bit smaller then Spike's head. It rested on a purple velvet pillow while it glowed with all of the colors of the rainbow, in light of the current events it still reminded Twilight of her friend Rainbow Dash. She had seemed upset to learn of Twilight's sudden departure but that was a problem that needed to be dealt with at a later time.

"I can help you gather the notes into those bags over there in the corner but you will need Spike's help to carry the bags back to your balloon. This crystal here is the Harmony Crystal and is the object that Discord mentioned. This is the polar opposite to the Chaos Crystal but I can not find a way to use the Harmony Crystal to stop let alone find the Chaos Crystal. For the crystal I have a special case for it, somewhere," said the Alicorn as she looked around, "AH there it is." Her horn glowed as a red box with gold trim lining the edges opened up in half and the Harmony Crystal was put into the box. She set it down next to her student and started to help her with the organization of the notes into the bags. "My little pony, I must go now and I have the utmost confidence that you will find a way to put an end to Discord's final blight on our beautiful world. All I ask however is that you put off telling your friends until you think the time is right," finished the majestic Alicorn.

"Princess, I-I'm not too sure about this... I can't even begin to imagine where I should start to solve this," said the purple pony.

"Please do not doubt yourself for if you do Discord has already won," assured the princess, "and besides you might already know the answer but have yet to realize it."


That was over a week ago and Twilight had gotten no closer to discovering the location of the Chaos Crystal. From the princess's notes however she was able to approximate when the Chaos Crystal might go off and the results were discomforting. At best she had about 3 weeks to find and destroy the crystal. Spike had long ago fallen asleep not being able to keep up with the unicorn's pace. She couldn't blame him, for nearly every waking hour was dedicated to solving this crisis. She only took breaks to eat and sleep, and even then those were very short.

She had even asked her friends to not bother her for the next few days but that didn't stop any of them from trying. Oddly Rainbow Dash was the most persistent out of the five. She had yet to confront the cyan Pegasus about her mood before she left but Twilight just couldn't stop to ask Rainbow Dash. With a sigh and the glow of her horn she picked up a quill and wrote to the princess


Dear Princess Celestia,

I have worked late into the night each day this past week to discover the location of the Chaos Crystal and I have not made any progress since I was able to approximate it's "due date." I hope that I might have a stroke of genius and find out a way to find it. If only I was able to locate it like Rarity finds her gemston---