• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 2,171 Views, 30 Comments

Gone But Not Forgotten - broniefrom93



A series of events strain the ties of friendship and love when Twilight comes back from Canterlot

  • ...
2
 30
 2,171

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

‘Twilight, why didn't you think of this sooner? Chaos Crystal!’ Twilight thought to herself. ‘A crystal is just another type of gem, and with the help of Rarity's magic I should be able to locate that forsaken device left behind by Discord. It's late but this is a matter of dire importance and besides, knowing her she is up late working on a new dress.’
Twilight released her magic and allowed the unfinished letter fall to the ground. She ran past Spike as he lay half in his bed snoring like only a baby dragon could. She kept insisting on getting him a new bed, but Spike refused to accept or use any bed but that.

Twilight’s hoof steps could be heard long before she reached the boutique. Rarity was ready for her and immediately went downstairs to see what caused Twilight to come see her this hour. It wasn't a bother to her as she was still up working on a dress that just wouldn't come out the way she imagined it. Rarity was already at the door and had it open before Twilight had a chance to knock. She was breathing hard and it was obvious she wasn't used to running that fast or far. "Twilight, dear, what's the matter? Here come inside; I'll make us some tea while you try to catch your breath." said Rarity as she made her way to the kitchen.

‘I..must...find out how...Rarity is able to...find...gems.’ Twilight said to herself as she started to catch her breath. The last time Rarity had told her, it was only a brief explanation. Now Twilight needed to master it. ‘I hope this doesn't take long’ Twilight thought to herself as Rarity walked through the doorway with tea.

"Rarity, remember when you showed me how to find gems?" asked Twilight.

"Of course I do! If I hadn't showed you how to do that I might still be stuck with those wretched diamond dogs!" said Rarity as she poured tea for two, "Why ever do you ask?" Twilight picked up the tea and took a small soothing sip before she spoke.

"I need to learn more about that spell, it's imperative that I learn that spell front and back, left and right, forward and backwards. If you can teach me then I'll be close to finishing the work the princess gave me," said Twilight.

"Why that's no trouble at all Twilight. In fact I need to find some gems tomorrow so I can show you then. And no objections, nopony can learn when they are tired and by the looks of it you haven't gotten much sleep recently. Now drink up your tea,go home, and rest. Whatever the problem it is you have to solve I'm sure it can wait one day," finished the white unicorn. Once she makes her mind up on a point there was no budging her so Twilight knew it would do no good to try and convince her otherwise about the lesson for the spell.
"Thank you Rarity, now if you don't mind I guess I’ll go home and sleep," said Twilight with a yawn.
"But wait! You haven’t finished your tea yet. And you have been cooped up in that library for way too long, stay and talk for a bit. I'm sure you could use it," insisted Rarity as she poured herself another cup of tea. "You're right I do feel as though I can take a break for a bit. I've just been so busy with this and," started Twilight until her friend interrupted her. "Please dear none of this 'Princess mission' business. How is Spike doing?" asked Rarity.

"He is the same ol' baby dragon as always. Actually he isn't much of a baby anymore really. I hope he doesn't grow up too fast," said Twilight.

"Don't worry about him growing up too fast, I have a feeling that as long as I'm around he will stay here in Ponyville," said the white unicorn with a wink.

"Oh, did you notice anything wrong with Rainbow Dash the day I got back? She seemed out of it or something, I couldn't place it," said Twilight. "Oh don't you think that's something you should ask her yourself?" said Rarity, trying to avoid the question because everypony knew the answer except for Twilight herself.

"You're right, again, but I haven't had time to ask her about it. Maybe I'll get a chance tomorrow," sighed Twilight, "I'll be heading home now, thank you for the tea and the conversation, I really needed that."

"Oh no problem my dear, anytime you need it I'll be here," said Rarity with a smile as she escorted Twilight to the door. After she closed the door she said to herself, "Oh what magical mess has the Princess got you mixed up this time?"


Running, faster then she had ever run before. So fast it felt as though she was starting to fly, and when she looked down she saw in fact her hooves were not touching the ground at all. A clash of lighting and a maniacal laughter filled the air. "You think you are so clever don't you?" said a very familiar yet unwanted voice, "And don't bother looking around or trying to resist either. I can't hurt you here....physically and sadly you already know about my chaotic magic...or some of it." The last part was said with a smile, Twilight may not have been able to see him but she could imagine that face with his evil grin. She tried to talk or fight back but all she was able to do was mumble. "Oh yes! I closed your mouth shut so I may be able to talk for once without interuption. I want you to know that if you continue on the path you pursue then all of the world's woe may come to you," said Discord, "sweet dreams Twilight Sparkle, and good luck."


Twilight woke up in a sweat and her covers all over the place in a mess. She took a deep breath and gathered her thought from the dream, or rather nightmare, she just had. ‘OK, that had to just be my imagination. There is no way he could actually contact me from his imprisonment. I'll just go to Rarity's and get one step close to solving this crisis,’ she thought to herself. Twilight got out of bed and prepared to go gem hunting with Rarity. Spike was already up and cleaning the mess Twilight had left last night before she went to her friend’s house in a hurry. Being too tired by the time she got back to clean it up herself Twilight had gone straight to bed. She was thankful for her draconic companion and maybe if Rarity wouldn't mind maybe he could get a few jewels for his troubles.

"Spike get ready, we are going to go with Rarity today so she may help me understand her gem searching spell," Twilight told Spike. As soon as she mentioned Rarity's name, Spike shot up and was gone in a puff of smoke. He reappeared not even ten seconds later with a full pack and even a picnic basket packed for three. "Wow Spike, that was fast! I think even Rainbow Dash would have been impressed," exclaimed Twilight as she used her magic to put basket on her back and made her way outside.

"Oh, what? It was nothing," mumbled Spike as he kicked the ground and walked alongside Twilight. It didn't take them long to meet Rarity outside her home. Twilight and Rarity discussed the spell as they made their way to the outcropping where Rarity found most of her gems. Twilight practiced the spell and was able to do it nearly as well as her elegant friend. Spike followed Rarity the whole time and was more than glad to help her dig out any jewels she found.

"Now have you been able to find a specific jewel before? Or has it always been the nearest one that you are able to detect?" asked Twilight. "Well I can narrow it down to which type of gem such as ruby or sapphire but nothing more than that, why do you ask?" said Rarity, even though she knew she could fathom the answer already.

"Oh no reason. I think I'll be heading back to the library now however. Thank you so much for the help Rarity. Would you like Spike to stay here and help you? He packed a lunch and I would hate for it to go to waste," said Twilight trying to help her assistant out a little bit, "I even have a few gems that I think Spike would love to munch on."

Spike's eyes were so big with the temptation of gems that it was hard to debate which was bigger right now, his eyes for the gems or his heart with being able to have lunch with Rarity. "I would love to have some lunch with Spike and you're correct. Spike has more than earned a few jewels for lunch," Rarity agreed.

Twilight left her two friends behind as she made her way back to the library so she could put her new found knowledge to use. "If I can use the Harmony Crystal as a focal point I should be able to use Rarity's spell to locate the Chaos Crystal.
Twilight told herself. She was so enthralled by her own thoughts and theories that she got home much sooner then she expected. She opened up the door to find Rainbow Dash sitting down and reading. Ever since that accident Rainbow Dash couldn't put down a book with "Daring-Do" on the front page.

"Oh hey Twi! I didn't know a new one came out! Why didn't you tell me?" said Rainbow Dash as she flew over to her friend and poked her. "Did you think you could hide this from me long?" chucked Rainbow Dash as she gave Twilight her signature smirk.

"Sorry, I had gotten it the day before I left for Canterlot and I meant to give it to you but I obviously forgot. I read it already though, so feel free to take it with you and read it yourself," smiled Twilight and she went over to the book and handed it to her friend. "Are you kidding me? This is already my second read through!" Rainbow Dash told Twilight. Twilight had forgotten the cyan Pegasus could almost read as fast as she could fly.

"Um why are you here though? Don't you have records to break and pranks to pull?" laughed Twilight. "I do, but there is this egghead I haven't been able to mess with or talk to." said Rainbow Dash as she sat down next to the unicorn.

"Oh, Rainbow Dash! I've been meaning to ask, you seemed bummed out or like something was bothering you when I came home and had to get to work. Is there something you wanna tell me?" asked Twilight but as she looked over, her friend she was already gone. A gust of wind came in from an open window which could only mean Rainbow made a dash out of the library. ‘What is wrong with that pony?’ she thought, ‘I wish I had time to figure out what was wrong.’
Twilight went to her study and pulled out the red box that contained the Harmony Crystal. She brought the Harmony Crystal out of its case and set it on her desk. It pulsed at a steady rate each time glowing with a different color, sometimes two or even three colors at once. It was an object of great magical power in its own right, but sadly it had a purpose and Twilight was determined to use it to its full capacity. She focused on the link between the Harmony Crystal and its chaotic counterpart, and then she used her knowledge of the jewel searching spell to connect both objects to find the Chaos Crystal. With a blinding flash Twilight was able to find the location of the Chaos Crystal. She had a vision of it hidden underneath the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters hidden deep within the Everfree forest. The entrance to the chamber where the Chaos Crystal was located is in the same room as where she found the Elements of Harmony to stop Nightmare Moon all that time ago. Twilight released the magic and the room returned to its normal state.
Twilight suddenly grew tired but knew she needed to send a message to the princess immediately. Using the last of her strength she picked up a pen and starting writing to her mentor


Dear Princess Celestia,

I did it! I was able to discover the location of the Chaos Crystal! With the help of Rarity's magic I was able to find it. You were right, I knew how to find it all along, I only needed to look for it. With your permission I wish the gather the Elements of Harmony tomorrow and rid our world of Discord's last blight on our world. I also learned that with friendship the answers you seek will be there and all you need to do is ask.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle


Twilight set down her pen and called her loyal pet, "Owlicious, please come here, I need you to take this to the Princess as quick as you can. I know it’s far but Spike isn't here and I'm busy with preparations for tomorrow." Owlicious grabbed the scroll and left. Then Twilight passed out from sheer exhaustion before she had even got a chance to get to her bed.



Thank you for reading this and I hope you enjoyed this Chapter. Please comment with any thoughts and rate this story!