• Published 6th Feb 2012
  • 1,809 Views, 74 Comments

Portal 42 - Paradox



short description ftl

  • ...
2
 74
 1,809

Chapter 8

(Tyler)

I love messing with Chris, though I'm kind of surprised he hasn't hit me yet. The look on his face when he met Vinyl was priceless. I wish I had brought a camera so I could capture it, but unfortunately all I had was my cell phone and that had been sitting in my saddlebags next to Chris. Also, I think they put some kind of alcohol or something in the salt licks. I tried one and it was like drinking about ten or eleven beers. Chris went with something that tasted kind of like root beer (non-alcoholic, sissy). Anyway, back to the present.

"Come on Tyler, we should get going," Chris said, pushing his glass away and putting some bits on the table.

"Where did you get those?" I asked curiously, trying to avoid any hint of a slur.

"Found them sitting in my wallet where my money used to be," he replied.

"Oh, okay." We got up (I was a little shaky at first) and went outside.

"I'm surprised we haven't been to Pinkie Pie's party yet," Chris said.

"Well the only building we've been in since we met her has been the Prancing Pony," I said, turning my gaze back to the bar. I noticed some ponies with grins on their faces walking in the direction of Twilight's house.

"I guess you're right, and now we need to find a place to stay for the night."

"What about Twilight's house?" I asked innocently, though a grin was barely being suppressed.

"Sure." He turned around and we started heading over to see Twilight. I was grinning almost the entire time. When we did get there, the town was completely quiet and there wasn't a pony to be seen. I knew that would change the second the door opened. Sure enough, the moment Chris opened the door, there was a huge shout as we were greeted by everypony in Ponyville. I spotted several familiar faces, including Lyra, BonBon, Carrot Top, and Berry Punch. I looked over at Chris, and saw he wasn't nearly as surprised/shocked as I hoped he would've been. It kind of reminded me how Twilight put up with Pinkie's welcome party (though I hope there's no hot sauce bottle next to the punch, Chris hates spicy food more than anything, well maybe except Justin Bieber, but who doesn't hate that bitch?). We took a step inside and suddenly Pinkie Pie appeared out of nowhere (fourth wall status: shattered to hell) and started talking a thousand miles per hour again. She was talking to fast for me to really understand what she was saying, so I can't really write it down. In fact, I didn't really care what she was saying, because I spotted the buffet table. I headed over and started piling a plate with sweets, but when I reached for a chocolate cupcake, my hoof made contact with a dark-tan hoof reaching for the same thing. I looked up just in time to see Zephyr's flustered face as he pulled his hoof back.

"Hey Zephyr, enjoying the party?" I asked.

"What? Oh, yeah," he replied. "Wait, how do you know my name?"

"My brother told me."

"Who's your brother?"

"Nightwish."

"The pegasus I saw earlier? You look almost exactly like him."

"We're twins." We talked a little longer, and I noticed that Zephyr's cheeks flared brighter the closer I got to him. Eventually I got tired of talking and walked away with my plate of food, looking for a place to sit. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Chris sitting with DJ-PON3. I smirked and continued on my way, planning to tease him later. Pretty soon I found a place on the stairs, so I sat down and watched the other ponies while I ate the chocolate cupcake I snagged from Zephyr when he wasn't looking. I saw Reaper dancing with Derpy (Bastard!), Doctor Whooves talking with Twilight, BonBon sitting with Lyra (obviously), and Rainbow Dash talking to Pinkie Pie. I thought about asking where Storm Shadow was, but then I remembered he was a royal guard in Chris's fic, so he must've been on guard duty or something. After looking around for a bit, I got bored and mainly concentrated on my food, so I never noticed Zephyr walking toward me.

"Hey, I was wondering if you might like to dance with me?" he asked, rubbing the back of his head with a hoof. I could tell from a glance that he was nervous.

"Sure, why not," I replied, grinning inside at the thought of Chris's possible reactions. Getting up, I stretched for a moment before walking to the middle of the room with Zephyr. I glanced over at Chris, who was wearing a confused expression, and grinned as DJ-PON3 went to her turntable and put on the records. When the music started, I took every chance I got to glance over at Chris. He facehoofed at first, then started to act like I wasn't there, which failed miserably. By the time we were done, Chris had his notepad and pencil out. I could see the pencil working slowly, making short strokes as Chris concentrated on what he was doing. Unfortunately, DJ-PON3 wouldn't let him finish. She walked up to him, grabbed his foreleg, and pulled him to where I had previously been standing with Zephyr. Her horn glowed and the music started up again. He looked over at me with pleading eyes, but I shook my head and grinned. Chris was a good dancer, but he wasn't particularly fond of doing it in front of a crowd. Sighing, he straightened up and smiled. The grin vanished from my face when they started dancing. I had always thought the DJ just played music and never danced to it, but I was dead wrong. She was a better dancer than anyone I've ever seen, and Chris barely managed to keep up. It was kinda funny now that I think about it. By the time the song ended, Chris was wiped out and DJ-PON3 was chuckling next to him. Little by little, the ponies at the party started leaving. I was actually relieved when Pinkie Pie left, because now it was nice and quiet.

"I asked Twilight and she said it's fine for us to stay here tonight," Chris said.

"Great, I'll see you in the morning then," I replied, setting my saddlebags next to the wall and jumping on the couch. I fell asleep almost as soon as I landed.