• Published 6th Feb 2012
  • 1,809 Views, 74 Comments

Portal 42 - Paradox



short description ftl

  • ...
2
 74
 1,809

Chapter 1

(Chris)

It started out as a normal day. I got up, got ready for work, and was out of the driveway in less than twenty minutes. I had just turned twenty-three a few days ago and the week was going pretty good so far. After dealing with the morning traffic and yelling a healthy amount of insults at the slowpoke in front of me, I pulled into the parking lot of the place I work for. It was a large building with a bunch of fancy electronics that I was supposed to keep in working condition. This meant that I often went home with frizzy hair caused by the static electricity. I pulled out a small notebook as I got out of the car, and scribbled down a few things. I brought the notebook with me everywhere because I write and draw sometimes. It helps to have something to put down notes. Placing it back in my pocket, I walked through the door and headed to the supply closet. Looking around, I spotted my tool belt hanging on a hook in the back. I grabbed it and clipped it around my waist. Taking the elevator, I headed up the 12th floor to work on some machinery that was malfunctioning.

“Goddamn don’t they know that elevator music sucks!?” I said aloud as the number slowly went up to 12. When the door opened, I stepped through onto the soft rug. I looked down with a smile at the dragon design of the highly expensive piece of decoration. I always liked dragons, but hey, who hasn’t at some point in their life? Anyways, I walked down the hall to a door marked with the number 577 above it.

Why do they even number the rooms anyway? I thought to myself. It’s not like this place is a hotel. Checking my notepad, I made sure it was the correct room before going in. The room was filled with machinery that looked like it hadn’t been inspected in years.

“No wonder this shit is malfunctioning. Look at all the god damn rust!” I said to myself, noticing that several of the machines were almost covered with the stuff. I examined the outer panels first and noticed different numbers on each one, the closest one to me bearing the number 42. Pulling off a panel, I took a peek inside. Its interior was spotless.

“Why the hell would you take care of the interior and not the exterior?” I muttered, using my flashlight to look around the inside of the machine. I noticed a switch that was flipped to the off position. Flipping it back, I listened as the machine hummed to life. I did the same for the other machines, opening up a panel and flipping the switches until the room was alive with the hum of machinery. Since I didn’t really have anything to do, I pulled out my notepad and started scribbling notes and drawing ponies. My life practically revolved around My Little Pony. I didn’t really care what the hell my friends thought. I would watch every new episode, staying up to do so if I had to. I was just starting a drawing of Vinyl Scratch when my cell phone buzzed. Pulling it out, I checked the caller ID and saw that it was my boss. I pressed the talk button and lifted the phone to my ear.

“What do you need boss?” I asked.

“Hello Christopher,” he said. “Are you done fixing those machines?”

“Ya, I finished just a minute ago,” I replied. “How come they are rusted to hell on the outside but clean on the inside? All I really had to do was turn them on.”

“We haven’t had a chance to properly replace the outer panels,” he replied quickly. “Please report to room 42.”

“I’m on it,” I replied before clicking the end call button. I slipped it back into my pocket and went back into the hallway. I stopped in the restroom to wash bits of rust off my hands and check my reflection. I looked into the mirror, studying my own curly brown hair and my green eyes. People kept telling me they looked blue, but I insisted they were green. I finished washing my hands then headed back to the elevator. Pushing the button marked 3, I pulled out my mp3 player and put on the headphones, effectively blocking out the stupid elevator music. The doors slid open a moment later, and I stepped out. I walked down the hall with my music still blasting into my ears. Stopping a moment, I whipped out my notepad and continued working on the drawing of Vinyl Scratch. I just started on her tail when I spotted room 42 out of the corner of my eye. Placing the note pad back in my pocket, I opened the door. It was pitch black inside, so I turned on my flashlight and looked for the light switch. I found it a moment later and lights flared to life inside the room. I turned and looked around.

“There’s nothing in here but a fancy door,” I said when I spotted it. It stood in the center of the room with a sign above it. The sign read “Portal #42-Enter at your own risk.”

“Portal my ass,” I said. I walked up to it and twisted the door knob. I expected it to reveal the wall behind it, but instead, it opened to reveal a gaping black void.

“Okay, what kinda prank is this?” I asked loudly, looking around the room. Hearing no response, I walked around the door. No black void appeared on the other side and I could see where I had been standing. I walked back around, and the black void was there again. I examined the edges of the door, looking for some sort of projector or something, but there was none to be found. While examining it, I didn’t hear the footsteps coming up behind me, but I sure did feel it when the person pushed me through the door. My heart started pumping like mad when I never felt the ground beneath me. I was falling. Hearing the door slam, I turned my head to see nothing but blackness. As the blackness closed in, my vision seemed to go blurry (I can’t really say it did because I couldn’t see shit!). My last thought before blacking out was “This sucks…”

---

I woke up with the sun flashing in my eyes. Groaning, I sat up and rubbed the back of my head. Looking around, I saw I was in a small clearing with a little pool of water nearby. I crawled over to it and took a deep breath. Plunging my head into the water, I was shocked at how cold it was, but it served as a nice wake up call. I brushed some hair out of my face and looked at my reflection.

“HOLY SHIT!” I shouted, staggering back from the pool of water. Staring back at me had been a pony with grayish blue fur. I looked at my hands, except now they weren’t hands, they were hooves. Looking back into the pool of water, I noticed the green eyes and black hair with a bit of red in it. Turning my head, I saw a tail bearing those same colors.

“Wait a second… I know these colors…” I muttered. Looking back into the pool once more, I spotted a horn sticking out of my hair.

“Jesus Christ! I’ve turned into Paradox!” I cried, remembering the OC pony I had made for myself. Even while I thought about that, I remembered that I had a drawing of Paradox in my notepad. My eyes widened as I remembered my notepad. I turned around to see a pair of grey saddlebags lying in the grass. Walking carefully (I’m not used to walking with four god damn hooves!), I made my way back to them and opened one. Sitting inside was my cell phone, mp3 player, and notepad.

“Wait a second… if I turned into a pony… then I must be in Equestria!” I said, breaking into a huge grin that was interrupted by something heavy landing on my back. I can only imagine what Twilight went through when that piano landed on her. I twisted my head to see an unconscious dark blue pegasus with spiky black hair. Of course I recognized this pony too. It was an OC I made for a friend only a week ago. I grinned wickedly and walked over to the water. Turning around, I reared up and let him slide off.

“COLD!!!!” he shouted instantly, ruby red eyes shooting open in response to being drenched without warning.

“Welcome to the land of the living Tyler.” I said while I lay on the ground laughing.

“NOT COOL MAN!” he replied indignantly.

“Of course it’s not cool,” I replied. “You just said it was cold didn’t you?” I chuckled as he climbed out of the water and pulled the hair out of his eyes.

“HOLY SHIT!!!!” he cried, losing his balance and falling straight back into the pool of water.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, even though I knew perfectly well what he was talking about.

“You’re a pony!” he replied when he clambered back out.

“Have you looked in a mirror?” He turned around and froze at his own reflection.

“I look just like the pony in that drawing you made for me.” he muttered. “What was the name? Nightwish or something?”

“Ya, it’s Nightwish,” I said, remembering that he named it after one of his favorite bands. He stood there gawking at his reflection for a good couple minutes.

“So what are we gonna do now?” he asked, breaking the silence.