• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 550 Views, 4 Comments

Destiny Is Not A Choice - Sempre Luna



The destinies of ponies are curious things. They tell what one can do. They tell what one will do. Still, what if a destiny isn't obvious? So begins this epic tale, in which the past is put to the test and dreams spring forth to life.

  • ...
 4
 550

The Gang Gets Together

January 31st, Equestrian 3613
1400 hrs

Ponyville Library

=====

The soft light of a crisp winter afternoon can do wonders for a spirit. Revitalizing, promising, and almost always behind the clouds. The weather pegasi were on their A-game today as usual. A fresh wind with no bite, a slight chill that woke one up, and zero cloud cover. This was a day one could still go out and enjoy themselves.

Yet, one pony was still residing in her chambers, quite content with her company of books. And her assistant.

"Spike, you sandwiched the Geography Section between the Planetary Observations Section! You still haven't arranged the History Section in my specific requested order! And I still need to work on my letter to the Princess!"
"Yeah, because we wouldn't want another meltdown. Listen, Twi, why don't we go out for a bit. You been cooped up in here for three days now, and I'm starting to go stir-crazy with you around."
"You know Sunday is my day for re-organization."
"EVERY day for you is re-organization."

Twilight Sparkle and her assistant, Spike, were standing in the foyer of her house, once again doing the chores. It seemed like for Spike this was a day to do nothing in particular. Curl up by a fireside, drink some hot cocoa. For Twilight, every day brought new challenges and new tasks to be completed, so it seemed she was never ever bored.

Needless to say, there were moments when they got on each other's nerves.

"Spike, this is not the time to be making jokes! If I want to go outside, then fine. But don't drag me into the freezing cold when I have enough to do here."

Spike huffed and turned for the door, only to be stopped in his tracks by the pony opening the door. At the door was a familiar white pony, wearing a faux winter coat and and fashionable sunglasses.

Rarity, the newcomer to the library, she lifted her winter coat and glasses off of her body and placed them on a coat rack, flipping her mane in a twist of the head to face the two. "Honestly, every time I come over just to have a polite conversation, I find you two bickering about the latest chores to be done. And how is my wittle Spikey-wikey today?"
Spike was known to have feelings for Rarity, so his reaction was understandable. With a lump in throat, he managed to choke out, "H-h-hel-lo Rarity."

Twilight ignored Spike's persistence and turned to Rarity. "It's fine. I've just been so busy, what with all these quests Celestia has been sending me on. Think about it. Recently, we saved the Crystal Empire, defeated King Sombra, reformed Discord, and somehow I'm still not done my training! Of course, she'll probably ask for my help again sooner than later, which I'm fine in doing, but it takes away from my organization time. You know how I get!" Twilight seemed to be overwhelmed and clutched her head.

The white unicorn puffed and flatly stated, "Honestly, Twilight. You shouldn't have to worry so much. I understand. If you need help darling, you should have just asked." She reached an arm of support and rested it upon Twilight's shoulder.
She smiled. "Thanks, Rarity. Spike, you can leave now. I think we can take it from here."
Spike was incurable. "No, thanks. Wherever you are, Rarity, I'd like to be there."
Rarity whispered to her unicorn friend. "Why does he seem more...energetic than usual?"
"Stir crazy, from what I hear."

No sooner did they turn to work on the books did another familiar face arrive from the skies. "Watch out!"
As usual, Rainbow Dash had to make her appearance unforgettable and costly as possible. This time, her entrance was through the window. With a clumsy twirl and a pileup, she managed to de-shelve the History, Astronomy, and Literature in one swoop.
Rainbow dusted herself off and flapped her wings. "Uh, sorry Twilight. I guess I still need to work on some maneuvers."
"Rainbow Dash," cried Twilight, " that's the third time this week! At this rate, I going to have to start charging for the amount of windows you've broken."

Rarity shot Twilight a glance that said She's Rainbow Dash and I would think you'd come to expect this from her.
The pegasus didn't expect this kind of reaction from her friend and looked hurt. "Woah, okay, sorry. It's just that this time, it's reeeeaaaallly important I that I start flying. I been hearing around Cloudsdale that a vacancy opened for the Wonderbolts, and I'm going to get my chance to them how awesome I am! With me joining, I'm thinking they'll increase their coolness by a pretty high percent..."

Rarity cut her off, stepping in to try and halt the rant. "We understand, dear. As does Twilight."
Twilight nodded with realization. "Sorry for that outburst. It's just been cold outside and you know how I get during this time of year. Not sure whether I should go outside and enjoy the day or stay indoors because at any time the climate could change."
"I know what you mean," groaned Rainbow. "The weather ponies haven't been up to stuff and they're starting to fall behind on their work for spring. Today's nice, sure, but we may be in for a long winter. Why do think my wings are getting sore?"
"Perhaps it's because you've been flying around for three days straight." Rarity flatly stated. "You really should take it easy. You could help us. We were just about to organize her books."

No sooner had Rarity said "organize" did a fourth member join the group, adding more of a ruckus. With a whizz and a bang sound effect that seemed to come out of nowhere, a energetic burst crashed onto the scene through the door, tackling Twilight Sparkle.

She huffed under her breath, "Hey Pinkie."

Pinkie Pie, energetic as ever, started rambling. "Hey Twi. I just put the babies to bed and the Cakes came home early, so I got a chance to stop over, because really, I haven't gotten the chance recently, what you being cooped up and everything. So here I am, telling you to wake up and smell the air, silly! Oooo, seems like everypony else is too."
The others acknowledged Pinkie Pie with a common courtesy. Spike, having enough of the group, decided to leave before anyone else decided to pay the library a visit and just go outside.

Twilight realized the organization plan had been thrown out the window.
"Well, I guess I could afford to mis a day of organization."
Rainbow patted her on the back. "That's the spirit!
Twilight grabbed her scarf. "Wait up, Spike!"

The four exited the house, ready to enjoy the time they had together.

Author's Note:

I'll be honest, it was hard trying to find a scenario to get the Mane Six together in one room, so this chapter is a bit forced. In addition, I can't tell if I can write for everyone perfectly, so I may have missed something. Tell me if any of your favorites don't work and I'll try to fix it.

Things will start to level out in the coming chapter. Think of this as the cold open before the theme song.

And cue intro