• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 550 Views, 4 Comments

Destiny Is Not A Choice - Sempre Luna



The destinies of ponies are curious things. They tell what one can do. They tell what one will do. Still, what if a destiny isn't obvious? So begins this epic tale, in which the past is put to the test and dreams spring forth to life.

  • ...
 4
 550

Pondering

January 31st, 3613
0200 hrs

Canterlot Castle, observation tower

=====

The night wind moaned throughout the kingdom. The bulrushes sat quietly in the water. The Unicorns lay snug in their beds, completely and blissfully dreaming of another day. To imagine there was a chance some would not see the day. For 1000 years, it remained the same way that the Princess of the Sun would watch the night skies, keeping the world safe in remembrance of the peaceful reality she created. However, with the return of her sister, she could now gain some much needed sleep. It was Luna who now watched the skies with faithful ambition.

Luna, from the highest tower, watched the metropolis. Her kingdom was the darkness, her gems were the stars. Few ponies know of this world, this quiet world. The world of purer freedom. She could fly wherever she wanted. She could do what was necessary to live again. It was her time, after all those years upon the moon.

She forgave Celestia for what she had to do. What Luna committed was an insurrection, a crime against her sister and nation. She did not deserve to live among those she had terrorized. Still, to an extent, Luna had been all but fully corrupted by evil. It was never a choice she made from the start. But how? That's what she wanted to know.

Prolonged exposure to the evils of Equestria could have led her down the wrong road. Discord, the villainous lord of chaos, now an advisor. Queen Chrysalis, a villain who struck when Celestia and Luna were at their weakest. King Sombra, the final destructive force the two sisters conquered as a team, now defeated by a mere unicorn and dragon. These were battles Luna could face in due process. Perhaps, however, age had not only slowed their adversaries, but also the sisters.

Not a day would go by and Celestia would still remind Luna of these prophecies and destinies, meant to shake the fabric of the royalty. If that happened, where would Luna turn? What, in fact, would be her goal in this mess of quotes and hopes? They were the old ways, continued to this very day. Even a silent place with no disturbance can collect a layer of dust.

As she ruminated the future, she was interrupted by the hoofsteps one of her personal nightguards.

"My lady. We have just received word of several strange incidents. We ask you attend to them."
"Prithee, I shall come soon."

She closed her eyes once more.
Just like old times, sister. I hope this ends soon, as it will significantly increase our time together.