• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 3,713 Views, 21 Comments

A Slight Bend of the Rules - Opalina Cecile



Rainbow Dash is finally a Wonderbolt, however there's one rule she's trying hard to follow- Don't fall in love with another Wonderbolt. But kissing doesn't mean they're in love, right?

  • ...
6
 21
 3,713

A Spot in the Wonderbolts

Rainbow Dash's POV

What a bullshit of a birthday.

First, my party isn't thrown by the best party thrower.

Then, Pinkie mutters "Happy Birthday" and sulks in the corner. Yeah, I'm only your best friend.

Next, Gilda shows up and Pinkie goes bonkers.

Finally, she gets taken by the police and we learn she has had a mental disorder since she was a filly. I mean, shouldn't that be something you'd tell your friends?

Twilight tried to talk to me, but I wouldn't listen. My birthday was officially ruined.

Well, that's not true. The day isn't over yet. But I doubt I'd be able to see or hear anything when you feel like you're flying 100 mph.

Yes, I did the little pouty pegasus thing and took off flying. Fluttershy is the only one with wings she wouldn't be able to catch up to me. And I doubt Twilight's balloon could make it.

So it was just me, my wings, and the sky.

The wind whistled by my ears as the diamond-speckled sky whizzed past. The beating of my wings and determination of my stubborn mind combined to allow me to close my eyes and feel the air bristle my mane.

And I crashed into a building.

I opened my eyes as I started to fall, my nose against the yellow and blue building. It reminded me of somewhere...

I didn't have time to think before I fell into cloud fluff.

"Whoa, you ok? You were going hella fast," said a voice. I looked up to see.... Fire Streak?

Of the Wonderbolts?

This is why I recognized it! It's the same design as the Wonderbolt Academy! This most be the Home Station... OH. MY. PEGASI.

"Huh? Oh, um, yeah, I guess, hehe..."

STUPID RAINBOW DASH! SPEAK! SAY SOMETHING!

"What's this commotion? Wait... what? Rainbow Dash, is that you?" Spitfire said, squinting in the darkness of the night.

"Uh, yeah. Hi Spitfire," I said, waving and smiling sheepishly.

"You're from Ponyville, right?"

"Yeah."

"How long have you been flying?"

"What time is it?" Spitfire acknowledged her watch.

"7:58."

"Then, about an hour and fifteen minutes."

"Weird."

"Why?"

"Because Ponyville is 70 miles from here."

My eyes widened. My jaw dropped. Fire Streak whistled.

"What's going on Spit- oh, hello," said a familiar green-eyed Wonderbolt. It was Soarin'.

I looked down and bit my lip. I tried to conceal my heart and prayed it wasn't as loud as the adrenaline made it sound.

"Hi."

"RD over here just made it here from Ponyvile in 75 minutes."

"Damn... that's some fast flying," he said. I tried not to blush.

"Uh thanks I guess."

"Where were you going anyways?" Spitfire asked.

"Nowhere in particular. This birthday isn't going.... the way I expected it to."

"It's your birthday?" Fire Streak asked. I nodded.

"Well, maybe your day would take a turn if you ate dinner with us," Spitfire said.

"I think it would," I said with a smile. "Thanks so much, I'm starving.

"I would be too after flying that much," said Spitfire as the four of us trotted into the building.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to say, I am wanting to be a Wonderbolt more and more every second I spend with them.

The mess hall was enormous and grand, full of pictures and newspaper clippings of the Wonderbolts, past and present. The food was cooked by their "caretaker", who happened to be Soarin's mother, Flipper. She had a tendency to embarrass him all the time. We all laughed at the story of the time Soarin' got his hoof stuck on a stair rail.

"Ma..." he groaned as we all giggled.

"So you're the Rainbow Dash?" Flipper asked.

"Uh, yeah," I said, curious as to how she knew me.

"So, let's sit down, shall we?" Soarin' snapped up quickly. We all followed, holding our trays. I plopped down and spitfire sat next to me. Soarin' went to the other side and Fire Streak was across from me.

"How have you been Rainbow Dash? I haven't seen you since the Academy, which you passed with flying colors," Spitfire said.

"I've been good, just hanging around Ponyville, talking with the spirit of chaos."

"Your kidding. Right? You're totally kidding, I know it." Spitfire was completely amazed.

"Nope. We had dinner and I got poked with candles." The pegasi started laughing.

"That's awesome. Some what's made your birthday so... unexpected? It's ok if you'd rather no talk about it," Spitfire inquired.

"Well, my friend Pinkie Pie, the jumpy pink one, she started acting weird and today she attacked an old enemy who was brought to my party by Lightening Dust. Turns out she's had a mental disorder since she was a filly and never told us. She's with the police and she's going to the mental institution in Fillydelphia. We all knew she was weird, but we never thought of this."

The room was silent besides the clanking of Flitter doing the dishes.

"Wow. That's kind of.... big. I understand how that's unexpected," Fire Streak said.

"HEY SPITFIRE GUESS WHO I JUST CAUGHT WITH A- omigod, hey RD! I recognize you from the gala and such," said Fleetfoot, who had dashing into the room in a whim. I smiled and waved.

"Wait, what is it Fleetfoot? Caught who with a what?" Spitfire said, cocking an eyebrow.

"I just saw High Winds with... you'll never guess.... Wave Chill. They were kissing in the attic," said Fleetfoot. "She wanted me to keep quiet, but she's pretty much asking for it. She's been talking about it nonstop and I didn't believe it until when I got this picture of them." She whipped out a camera and showed us the most recent one.

"Op, High Winds is in for it now," Fire Streak said.

"Why is she in for it?" I asked.

"It's a strict rule. Wonderbolts can't fall in love with other Wonderbolts. Which includes the guards and alternates," Soarin' said.

"Oh," I said. I started to question my dream.

Silly RD, are you gonna throw your life's dream away for a silly stallion? Silly, silly, silly....

"Looks like they're out. I'll need some replacements," Spitfire said. Then she raised her head and looked at me. "Hm..."

My eyes went wide again. "Uh..."

"Fleetfoot, take Rainbow Dash to Surprise's room. She'll be staying overnight," Spitfire said. I squealing inside as Fleetfoot smiled at me and ushered me over. We went through a door that opened to a hallway full of doors.

"I'm kinda glad High Winds is getting kicked out, she's super annoying. Always fussing over her hair and talking about her stupid famous boyfriend. When this gets in the paper, she definitely won't have him anymore," Fleetfoot said with a smirk. "So each Wonderbolt has a roommate, and Surprise doesn't have one. Of course, now I don't... I'll probably get an alternate or something. Anywho, this is your new room. See ya in the morning! And happy birthday." She winked and scampered off.

"Hello?" I asked, peering into the room.

"Hello. You're Rainbow Dash? Spitfire just sent me an alert," said mare with a white coat.

"Uh, yes. Is this gonna be my bed?" I asked pointing to the empty one. She nodded.

"Now, I'm exhausted as buck, so get in bed quickly, mmkay?" Surprise drifted off.

"Uh, of course," I said. After going to the bathroom, I climbed into the bed and turned off the light.

I dreamt I was flying in the skies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright ponies. Last night, we had an arrival and two of us broke a rule. High Winds, Wave Chill, and Rainbow Dash please stand up," Spitfire addressed the Wonderbolts, guards, and alternates. The three of us stood up. The other two looked completely guilty. I looked at Fleetfoot, who winked again.

"High Winds and Wave Chill will be leaving. We will need to replace them. And who we will replace them with is.........." The pegasi did a drum roll, like they'd done this multiple times.

"Alternate Skye and Rainbow Dash!"

Cheers arose. Some alternates slapped the back of a stallion with a blue coat and white mane. As for me, I almost fainted.

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, I expected it from last night. I mean, 70 miles in 75 minutes.... And the way she told me I was staying over.

"Well, RD, whadaya have to say," Fire Streak asked me.

"Best... birthday... EVER!" I paused. "Well, at least the second half."

"So, RD, you accept?" Spitfire asked, approaching me.

"A thousand times yes! Thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH! This is my life's dream!" I exclaimed. Spitfire laughed.

"You sound like me when I got in. But, there are matters of rules, training, contracts, money, and such...."

"Then, let's get started!"

For the corner of her eyes as Surprise congratulated me, I swore she saw Soarin' looking a little... sad.

Author's Note:

The mental disorder thing is from my other story Psychotic.
Pinkie SAID she'd take off flying.

Comments ( 20 )

I suggest you put in paragraph breaks, it makes the whole thing look better. I also suggest removing helping words such as "is, am, are, was, were, been". These words are empty and don't add anything to your story. Removing them will raise the general quality of the story.

Wow! I really liked your beginning. Very engaging! That whole thing with pinkie being crazy was a unique twist. I look forward to the next chapter :twilightsmile:

Damn it's cold in my house *shivers* I hate snow!
Anyway this is great gonna see where this goes. :pinkiehappy:

So anywatpy what's your horoscope? I'm apparently gonna go for an unnepected trip out my window and have to work on improving my low self esteem which is actually pretty true :rainbowderp: (except from the low eps elf esteem part :rainbowlaugh: joking the window didn't happen )

[youtube=AFlBaKYK-Zk]

1997089
Oh. Well, I'm a Leo so let's leave it there.....:moustache:

1995827
I have a whole story about it, called Psychotic. :pinkiecrazy:
Which I really should be updating..... oops.

Pinkie..... Wow

Anyway Great story! pls continue :pinkiehappy:

OMG!OMG!OMG! Poor Soarin and RD not allowed to fall in love with another WB but Rd all of a sudden a Wb awesome :rainbowlaugh: and so sad:applecry: and plz update soon :pinkiehappy:

Do you know when you're going to update again? I love the story! Great job! Poor Soarin and Rainbow not allowed to fall in love.

Can u make more pleeeeeeaaaaassssssseeeeeee

Soo now that you're back...
UPDATE NOWWWW!
(I mean, please... and... If that's okay with you...)

Wtf...it's been more than 62 weeks :ajbemused:


Why u didn't update for 62 WEEKS!!!!!!! :facehoof:

This is too awesome to....ARG! :trixieshiftleft:

UPDAATE PLZ its very interesting there not allowed 2 fall in love with each other... ANYWHO PLZ UPDATE :pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

oh god pinkie..... anyways, i like the concept u put down here. dash flying from ponyville to cloudsdale and she had no idea. two wonderbolts getting kicked out cuz they can't be in love. now dashie is a wonderbolt but i think soarin likes her.. HAHAHA :pinkiecrazy:
keep up the good work! :raritywink:

Wow I am loving this story book here already my friend. It looks like those two Wonderbolts are out and the new Wonderbolts are in the team now (best birthday ever for Rainbow dash) and why does Soarin look sad all of a sudden? What will Rainbow tell her friends about it? And what will go for Rainbow Dash dream of flying alongside the Bolts? And what if a little romance happens between Soarinand Rainbow Dash? That's all the questions there.

Also I love your story book my friend, like love it. :heart::heart::heart: And to hope see more chapters coming in soon to. :twilightsmile::pinkiehappy: Good luck on the next chapters, and I followed you to. :raritywink::rainbowdetermined2:

Continuuuueeeeee😭😭 Pleeeaaaasseeee!

Login or register to comment