• Published 22nd Jan 2012
  • 2,723 Views, 64 Comments

How Cruel Is The Golden Rule? - TLC



Golden Harvest's life is pretty average, though she stuggles in her own dwelling of depression.

  • ...
5
 64
 2,723

2. "Stitches" (Alternate Title "Betrayal & Agony")

2

Stitches


I awoke through the haze of misty eyes and head aches. It seemed like it was still morning, but I knew that wasn't true. Looked at the clock on my night stand, 2:30 PM. Eeyup. I usually sleep in after nights like that. I thought back to what happened, to how I acted, and laughed. It hurt to laugh at how foolish I was, but I had every right to.

Everyday I put on the same face, do the same thing, and I try to avoid conversation with everypony. Why? So I didn't have to choke back tears as they tell me about 'Their day'. I planned on not going to Ponyville, or leaving the house at all. Left alone, this bed, but somepony knocked on my door. I slowly got to my hooves and walked to the door.

As I opened it, the bright rays the sun gave off burned my eyes. I wasn't hung over, but I guess you don't have to be when you shut yourself down in your house, with no light and nopony. But I wasn't the only pony there, as of late. Because when I answered the door, Twilight Sparkle stood before me, with a very concerned look on her face. Here we go...

"Golden." She said very calmly. "I'm getting you out of the house today. I'm tired of knowing your like this and you're by yourself."

She stepped in without me inviting her in. I shut the door behind her. When I saw her face, her eyes had been red, but why? Was she crying? Was she that worried?...I hurried towards her as she traveled through my home. She shook her head and turned to me. "How could you live like this?"

"Like what?" Playing dumb. Congrats, Golden.

"You know what I mean!" Twilight shouted at me. I screamed in fear, not because her horn started to glow, not because of the anger in her eyes, but because was was lifted into the air, a purple aura around me. It forced me onto the couch. Twilight moved to sit next to me and grabbed me by the shoulders and looked at me through her sad eyes. "I got worried last night, so I talked to Cherilee this morning..." She trailed off as more tears fell down her face. "....Why, Golden?"

My heart sank. I suddenly felt a deep hatred in the bottom of my chest. She didn't tell her. Cherilee couldn't have actually told her!

"What did she tell you?" I asked calmly at first, until all she gave me was no response and only sobs. I got really angry and grabbed her by her shoulders. "WHAT DID SHE TELL YOU, TWILIGHT?!"

She shook her head and whimpered. "....She told me....she stopped you from throwing yourself off a cliff...What were you think-" I was already out the door before any more could be said.

Cherilee. Bucking. Cherilee. I couldn't believe anything at that moment, all of me, my being and my mind, was focusing on finding Cherilee. I wanted to hurt her. I wanted to scream at her.....I wanted to hold her and ask why, why, why. I couldn't hurt her. She's been my best friend since we were five...And she goes and bucking betrays me! How could she have told Twilight, of all of Ponyville? Now that she knew she wasn't ever going let me live it down. She'd never leave me, and that's a good thing, right?....Then why didn't I care now?

I approached the school where she worked. I wasn't going to confront her during class, not with those kids watching. I'd hate to scar their little minds, but they were outside, playing. Good. Let them be. I walked into the school building and scanned every door. I've been here many times before, when Cherilee would ask for help with class and I would gladly oblige. I found the room and saw Cherilee sitting in her chair, looking over papers, completely unknowing I was about to break this bucking door down.

I burst through it with as it's window shattered against the wall I kicked it to, which shocked Cherilee as she fell back in her chair and screamed. She looked at me with terrified, lime green eyes. They grew wider as I came closer and stepped over her. I pinned her hooves down to the floor so she couldn't move. The world around me melted away, and all I saw was Cherilee.

"WHY?!" I screamed. "WHY DID YOU TELL HER?! YOU PROMISED ME, 'LEE! YOU BUCKING PROMISED ME!" I tightened my grip on her hooves and tears welled up my eyes.

"She was worried sick about you, Golden! I did what I had to do!" She tried to reason with me. "Please, Golden! You can't keep bottling up your frustrations. You're only hurting yourself...You're hurting your friends... You're hurting me." She said almost exactly as Twilight said it last night, and I nearly lost my mind.

She struggled to get from under me, but I collapsed on top of her. We were face to face with our noses barely touching. I couldn't think of what to do. I both wanted her and wanted to hurt her, but couldn't do anything about it.

Tears rolled down my muzzle and on to her's. My voice cracked as I asked again and again. "Why?....Why?! I trusted you! I believed you!..." I didn't think about what I was saying. "....I LOVED YOU!!" I let go and got off her. I swore I heard her cry when I slammed the door behind me. Kids gathered around the side window outside of the classroom, mouths gaped open.


______________________________________________________


I ran from the school, not knowing at all where my legs were taking me. The feeling of that night at the cliff came back and slapped me in the face. I felt like shit. And a worthless piece of it. I told her that I loved her... I felt like I had nopony left and I wanted to die, again. Stopping my mind in it's tracks, I remembered how pathetic I was to sink that low. Suicide, as easy as may be at this moment, isn't the answer...But something had to give.

As I approached my house, I didn't contemplate seeing Twilight again. I didn't want to. Not her or anypony. I just needed a piece of paper, a quill, and a bottle of cider. I ran through the door and charged for my room. I jumped onto my bed and sobbed loudly, facing away from the open door. The pain I felt was unbearable. I needed comfort. I needed a resolve...

Just as I my sobs began to grow louder, I heard hoof steps from behind me. I didn't turn, let alone care, to see who stood behind me. The figure just got on the bed and laid with me. It wrapped it's hooves around me tightly and pressed itself against me. When I turned, I didn't expect to see Twilight laying there, fresh tears in her eyes. She nuzzled me and caressed my mane, just like the night before.

I laid there facing away from her for a few moments. Then, I turned to face her. I wrapped my hooves around her and brought her close. I broke down right then and there.

"Please...Don't leave...don't leave me." I whimpered and cried, but stopped when I felt her hooves tighten around me, bring us almost muzzle to muzzle.

"I would never leave you...Not like this..." She whispered. We laid on there all day, and she never left. When the sun went down, she said to come back to the library with her, to which I said yes. I couldn't be alone. Not then.

We walked side by side down the road from my house, I leaned on her but she didn't mind. It was just as cold as it was the night before, making Twilight my only warmth. I needed this. It felt great to have somepony you could lean on and feel comfortable. Twilight was pretty special to me before all of this began to consume my life, before the cliff, before I started drinking, she's always been there for me...Even when Cherilee wasn't.

I felt something in my chest, it was warm and felt like, like I was happy. Twilight looked lost in her own thoughts, so I didn't try to say anything. Soon enough, she broke the silence with the question I wasn't prepared to answer.

"What did you do when you found Cherilee?" I felt a chill go up my spine, causing me to shiver. I guess Twilight found that funny, because she smiled to herself.

"...I just asked why...She really did betray me. She promised not to tell anypony about...it. I held her down against the floor, crying and screaming at her. She struggled and tried to reason with me, but there wasn't any reasoning with me...I told that I trusted her, that I...I..."

"You loved her?" Twilight asked facing down the road.

I sighed, I guess nothing was ever well hidden from her for long. "Yeah, I did. She never felt the same. So I just left her there." I carefully got closer to her and nuzzled her. "I'm glad you were still there. I wish I could do something to make it up to you."

She looked back towards the road and saw the town in the distance. "You don't have to make it up to me. I didn't leave, because I knew you would need me." She leaned back towards me, her warmth returning. "And besides, I couldn't live with myself knowing that you were in so much pain."

We walked through town towards the library. Surprisingly enough, nopony was out. I didn't know what time it was. We got to the door, Twilight opened it and invited me in. I walked over to the couch and sat in the middle. I didn't see Spike anywhere, though. Kinda weird if you ask me.

"Spike's in Canterlot on royal business." Twilight said taking off her coat. Could she read my mind? Was she reading my mind this whole time?...Is she doing it right now?!

I freaked a little, knowing fully well that Twilight was very gifted in the use of magic, and could very well read minds if she wanted to. She saw me fidgeting on the couch and walked over. She took a seat on right side of me and put a hoof on my shoulder. I looked into her eyes and watched as a small tint of red glow on her cheeks. Seeing the flames of the fire place dance across the surface of her violet eyes brought me to blush myself, but thought nothing of it.

"Twilight, I-" Before I could finish saying anything, Twilight jumped on top of me pressed her lips to mine, kissing me passionately and pressing me against the cushions of the couch.