• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 7,384 Views, 449 Comments

Take to the Skies - DamnToasty



A U.S. fighter pilot on a routine recon mission is sucked into the world of Equestria. Although he may not know it, he was brought here for a purpose. The very fate of this world may rest in his hands.

  • ...
26
 449
 7,384

Chapter 7: Sworn Protector

Take to the Skies

Chapter 7: Sworn Protector

Written and Edited by RobertBel98

I turn my head to the source of the cry and I am slightly taken back by what I see. In front of me in a cowering position was some form of lizard. It was coated in green and purple scales with two silted eyes staring right at me. Also, wait… why is it wearing an apron? Never mind. Regaining my composure I slowly walk up to the creature only causing it to huddle further back. Seeing my error I stop in my tracks and kneel down to the floor so that we are at eye level. In a gentle tone, as not to startle him, I begin to speak.

“Hello, my name is Rodger nice to meet you.” I say offering my hand. He seems hesitant but nonetheless accepts my gesture. After the soft exchange I continue. “So, you must be Spike. Twilight has been telling me about you.”

“O-oh she has?”

“You bet Spike, you’re her assistant correct.” Spike has seemed to calm down by now and adorns a smile. He stands proudly and raises his head.

“Number one assistant to be precise, oh and it’s nice to meet you too.” Twilight only shakes her head with an amused smile at Spike’s antics. Standing back up from my lowered position I regain my full height. Spike slightly gawks as I tower over him. “W-wow you sure are a tall… whatever you are.” I was about 6’ 1” so I guess I was a decent height for my age.

“Yea I guess I am, and it’s human by the way. For that matter, what exactly are you?”

“Oh, I’m a dragon.” My eyes widen as he finishes. Did he say dragon?

“S-so you’re a dragon, a real live dragon. That breathes fire and flies and stuff.”

“Yup, although I won’t sprout my wings until I reach my teen years and my fire isn’t that strong yet.” Spike looks slightly downtrodden but is surprised by my reaction.

“That is so cool! I always thought dragons were amazing creatures back on earth. Even if they were only myths, but being able to see one in the flesh is just awesome!” I yell beaming a smile. Spike slightly blushes in embarrassment.

“*ahem* Well Rodger I am very glad to see you have gotten along with Spike, but *grumble* can we perhaps get that breakfast.” Twilight says the latter with a sheepish smile.

“Oh! I am so sorry for keeping you. I guess I just got lost in the excitement.” Twilight waves a hoof shrugging it off.

“It’s just fine, let’s all sit down and enjoy.” Twilight walks beside me over to the kitchen. Spike had already taken his seat at the far end of the booth behind the table. As I am walking, I notice Twilight’s eyes slight wandering over to me. She isn’t looking me in the face, curious I follow her gaze before I come to the unsettling conclusion. She was staring at my gun.

“U-um Twilight… may I ask what is distracting you.” Twilight pries her eyes from the weapon and looks up to me.

“I am curious about that thing you have wrapped around your waist. You haven’t taken it off since you got here, and I saw you pointing it at Pinkie when we found you.” I was at a loss at what to tell her. I mean I can’t just come out and say it is a weapon. I guess I can try to be vague and hope she lets it go. We both sit down at the table and begin to eat. All I grab is a roll from the center and a slab of butter. I was pretty hungry but the rest of the food either contained hay or some other inedible grain or flower, makes since due to them being ponies. After taking a bite I prepare my response.

“To answer your question, I guess it is a type of tool.”

“A tool… so you use that to do some kind of job?” The studious unicorn adds.

“Yes, I use it in my profession.”

“And what exactly is your profession?” Oh here’s the golden question, dammit Murphy’s Law! Maybe I should be honest, but still hold off a bit of course.

“I-I protect people.”

“So you’re some kind of guard.”

“S-sort of…” Twilight was taking on a more interrogative face as she looked at me.

“Rodger, what is the purpose of that device?” Oh sweet Jesus help me. Just then answering my prayers, a familiar cyan Pegasus bursts through the doors. She is breathing heavily and has a very worried expression. Looking around frantically she eventually locks eyes with Twilight. Rainbow then rushes over tackling Twilight to the ground standing over her.

“Twilight I need your help now!” Rainbow yells. She looks on the verge of tears.

“What is it Rainbow! What’s got you so upset?” Twilight asks with worry. Rainbow lifts off Twilight and into the air hovering.

“There’s no time to explain. We need to get to the Everfree Forrest now!”

“Rainbow, please calm down and tell me what’s wrong!” RD takes a few deep breathes before responding.

“Scootaloo, Applebloom, and Sweetie Bell were getting picked on at school. Some stupid filly dared them to go into the Everfree forest saying they were a bunch of losers or something, and they all went in. That was almost a half hour ago, nopony has seen them since!” Twilight’s eyes go wide as well as mine. Children were in danger, I needed to help. I began to run to the door before getting knocked back by a multi-color blur.

“Whoa, where do you think you’re going bub!?”

“Children are in danger, just because I’m in a different world doesn’t mean I’m gonna stop doing my job. Now get outa my way we’re wasting time!” Rainbow tries to counter again but is stopped by Twilight.

“Stop Rainbow, Rodger is right we’re wasting time. We need to go find those fillies right now! If he wants to help we shouldn’t push him away!”

“But if anypony sees him it will start a panic, especially if he just goes running through the center of town! We already have one crisis on our hooves!” Twilight’s determination wavers for a moment before coming back around.

“Wait, it may be possible for me to perform a long range teleportation spell from here. I’m pretty sure we could reach the school in time!”

“Twilight you’ve never even tried teleporting that long a distance, what if something happens to you!?”

“Rainbow I’ll be fine just go I’ll meet you there!” Rainbow shows one more look of uncertainty before giving a defeated sigh and nodding slowly. The Pegasus proceeds to bolt back out the entrance of the library to the schoolyard.

“Okay first things first, Spike!” We hear a hurried set of footsteps from the kitchen as the assistant enters the room.

“Yea Twilight, what do you need?”

“Spike, I need you to gather the rest of girls and prepare a proper search party. Tell them to meet us at the entrance of the schoolyard.”

“Got it, Twilight I’ll meet you there!” Spike then ran out the open door to gather his fellow friends.

“Alright, now Rodger since this is probably your first time teleporting you may feel a bit queasy.” I nod understandingly. “Good, now I need you to place your hand on my back so the spell can complete the circuit.” I do so. “Now you might want to close your eyes for the next part.” I nod confusedly and close my eyelids, but even in the darkness created by the flesh shielding my pupils, a distinct lavender luminescence begins to build in front of me. The glow continues to grow and expand causing me to clasp my eyelids even tighter together. After a few agonizing moments a loud *POP* resonates in my ears. The light starts to die down allowing me to relax my wound up face. Re-opening my eyes I am shocked to find myself in a completely different location. Instead of the library I am now standing in the middle of some field. After another moment to take in the surroundings I look down. Below me was an immobile Twilight collapsed on the ground. Only shallow breaths to indicate her being alive. I quickly go to my knees grabbing Twilight in my arms.

“That teleport must have taken a lot out of her.” It was then I heard the breaking in the wind coming from the west. I look over to see Rainbow Dash heading straight for us. Just before impact Rainbow spreads her wings creating a drag to slow her down, and managing to blow me two feet backwards.

“Oh no Twilight, is she okay what happened!?” RD asks me worriedly.

“As far as I can tell she’s fine. Just major exhaustion from whatever that was. Give her some rest and she’ll be okay.” Rainbow Dash calms down at the information that her friend is okay.

“Thanks for checking on her.”

“It was no proble-” My sentence was cut short as a high pitched scream erupted from the forest.

“Oh no, that sounds like Sweetie Bell! We need to go, we need to-”

“No, stay here with Twilight. You need to wait for the others. I’ll go get the girls.” I say with determination.

“Are you crazy!? You can’t go in there alone!” I look at her before glancing down to my pistol grasping it in its holster.

“I’ll be fine, trust me.” Before I could get a response I was already charging in the direction of the forest. Once I had reached the outskirts I noticed a small group of fillies and colts all gathered. Running up to them I yell.

“Which direction did they go!?” I scream at them not wanting to waste any more time. They all turn in my direction then look up. A look of absolute terror now plastered on their young faces. “I said, which way!?” All of them still staring at me raise their hooves simultaneously in a northern direction. Not even saying a word I sprint into the dense brush. I continued to run towards the sound I had heard. Trees and vegetation whizzed past me as I barreled through the land at amazing speed.
“Oh man which direction?”

“Scootaloo what are you doing get away from that thing!” A squeaky voice yells. That was close. With my newfound sense of navigation I pick up the pace. When I finally approach the source I am met with a sight that shocks me. In front of me were two young fillies, one with a white coat and a bubble gum mane, the other with a yellow coat and a red mane with a disheveled bow tie. In front of the group was what I could only identify… as a manticore. Shit. Before I could jump into the fray I notice a third filly standing in-between the beast and her friends, an orange one with a raggedy purple mane.

“Hey you big jerk, stay away from my friends!” Scootaloo yells at the beast. The manticore gives an un-amused expression. The next moment, time slowed. The monster raised his tail, brining it around. With a sickening crunch the Pegasus was swatted into a nearby tree. She lay motionless at the base of the trunk.

“Scootaloo no, no get up!” A sobbing voice cries. That’s when I snapped. Quick as lightning I grab the M9 from the holster bringing the sights eye level. Giving out a war cry I jump into the scene. The manticore turned to face the new entity but was too late. Three loud *BANG*’s sounded from the L shaped device, each slug landing a hit in the beast’s body. The manticore stumbles before falling onto its back unmoving. Not missing a beat I rush over to Scootaloo. I kneel down to pick her up before being yelled at by a certain young earth pony.

“Hey! Leave our friend alone!” Applebloom yells. Looking to her I plead.

“I am here to help, I was sent by Twilight and Rainbow Dash.”

“T-twilight sent you?” I nod my head.

“Yes we’re all out here looking for you guys. I guess I made it just in time-”

“Mister, look out!” Both of them yell. I only turn halfway before I am sent flying over to the left. Slamming into the ground with a forceful impact the air is expelled from my lungs resulting in a panicked gasp. Before I could counter a searing pain shot through my entire right side. Looking down I do not like what I see. A large amount of blood had gathered on my uniform, small streams of the crimson liquid still flowing from the entry wound. Thrusting my hand down I attempt to stop the bleeding, grasping the mangled flesh in my palm. A roar sounds from a short distance away. The manticore was back up and it was pissed. Three small bullet wounds still leaked from its shoulder. As it approached I look for my gun. In the fall it was torn from my grasp. Looking around with my limited range of movement I finally locate my salvation. It was lying on the ground… several feet away… right in front of Sweetie Bell.

“S-sweetie B-bell…” I point to the gun. “G-give m-me my gun…” Sweetie looks to where I had indicated. Her eyes widen as she looks repeatedly between me and my gun. Looking back to the manticore, oh it was just taking its sweet time, it continued to arrogantly approach me, fully aware of its now assured victory and… easy meal. Blood continued to pool around me. Closing my eyes I await the inevitable. Then… a soft aura casting its glow caused me to open my eyes. Floating above me encased in a pink light was my M9. Promptly grabbing it with my free hand I shakily cock the hammer. Swiftly, I bring the muzzle back up. Seeing the sight before him the manticore let out a bellowing roar as it began to pounce. I point the business end of the weapon towards the head of the creature. “C-chew on this you ugly mother fucker!” Another series of explosions emanate from the firearm as I unload the remainder of the clip into the enemy’s skull. Brain matter and bone spew out from the back of the Manticore’s head as the lead tears through him like a hot knife on butter. When the last *BANG* sounds from the M9 I let the weapon fall limply to my side, my body growing ever so weaker. The Manticore’s mangled form sways before toppling down with a resounding *thud*. Relieved with the death of the monster I let my head fall back to a resting position. Blackness starts to fill my vision.

“Mister… mister, are you gonna be okay?” All I do is smile as I sink into the world of unconsciousness.

Author's Note:

Longest chapter yet. The plot thickens!