• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 7,385 Views, 449 Comments

Take to the Skies - DamnToasty



A U.S. fighter pilot on a routine recon mission is sucked into the world of Equestria. Although he may not know it, he was brought here for a purpose. The very fate of this world may rest in his hands.

  • ...
26
 449
 7,385

Chapter 10: Painful Memories

Take to the Skies

Chapter 10: Painful Memories

Written and Edited by RobertBel98

Alright, let me sum up my current situation. I am pinned to the bed by a large pink mass that had previously been standing in the doorway exactly one second ago. How she managed to transport herself that distance in the allotted time, I am still unsure. I have also noticed that the mouth of the creature is forming movements which I believe to be reminiscent of words, although they are moving at too fast a rate for me to comprehend. She is also bouncing sporadically on my diaphragm causing extreme pain to the abdominal region, while also making it difficult to breathe, only allowing me to make short breaths in the gaps. This lack of vital oxygen makes it impossible to voice my concern for self-safety to the pink creature.

Suddenly, a magenta aura wraps around the being to its evident surprise. It slowly lifts off the mattress allowing me to take a much needed intake of air. The creature floats over to the doorway, still spewing out numerous incomprehensible sentences in my general direction. A moment later a new being enters the room. It was my savior from the pink demon, and she came in the form of a purple unicorn.

_____

Still writhing in pain from Pinkie’s surprise attack, I was barely paying attention to the discussion occurring on the opposite side of the room. Pinkie’s mouth had been sealed shut by the force of Twilight’s magic, although a few faint mumbles could still be heard. Twilight had a serious look on her face as she scolded Pinkie.

“Pinkie, you promised you would not jump on Rodger again! You could have really hurt him!” The mumbling stopped as a somber expression makes its way onto Pinkie’s face. “Now, I am going to release you now. Please go and apologize to Rodger.” She nods, the magic energy dissipating from her body gently placing her back on the ground. Pinkie turns and slowly makes her way to the bedside. Her head is lowered and mane has somehow lost its fluffy and happy demeanor, now replaced by a straight and depressed style. When reaching the bedside, Pinkie looks up to me with sad eyes.

“I’m sorry for *sniff* hurting you, Rodger. I just wanted to know what things you would *sniff* like at your welcome party. I’m sorry.” Pinkie looks back down to the floor. The sudden display causes me to ignore all the pain still residing in my body. Looking to Pinkie who is still giving the occasional sniffle I do the only thing that comes to mind… grab her and pull her into the biggest hug I can muster. Pinkie looks surprised at first and speaks. “W-what, but I hurt you, aren’t you mad at me?”

“Pinkie, first, you are way too adorable to stay mad at. Second, I was never angry in the first place, just a little… surprised. Now, are you going to be okay?” I ask giving a warm expression. Pinkie stalls for a second before her mane explodes back into its familiar fluffy self. Beaming a smile Pinkie returns the hug… a little too tight. Here comes the pain again.

“Pinkie…can’t… breathe!” Pinkie loosens her grip with a sheepish smile on her face.

“Sorry… guess I was just happy because you were happy because I love it when my friends are happy and mhfmhmhfmhf…” I had grabbed Pinkie muzzle shut. Looking at her I begin to speak.

“Pinkie, are you going to let me speak?” Pinkie nods. “Good. Now, concerning my ‘Welcome Party’ I only have two things to say. One, nothing with peanuts in it, I’m deathly allergic. Second, do not invite too many people, I am not one for crowds and would like to take some time getting to know the town. Got that?” Pinkie nods excitingly as I release her muzzle. “Great, now I believe you have a party to plan.” Pinkie once again explodes a second time with a full blast of confetti raining down on the room, not even going to try to explain it. Freezing in mid-air she turns a makes a b-line for the door, exiting the room followed by a burst of air with enough force to blow Twilight’s mane sideways.

“*chuckle* Nice hair doo, Twilight, it really *chuckle* suits you.” Rainbow says with a smirk. Twilight at first gives Rainbow a glare, but eventually joins in the laughing.

“Yes well, Pinkie will be Pinkie,” Twilight says while straightening out her mane

“Amen to that,” I reply still giving a light chuckle. “Alright, now I don’t mean to put a dampener on the mood, but I do have some questions about what happened after I went out.” That statement shakes both the mares out of their happy expressions as one of nervousness and uncertainty creeps onto their faces. They both exchange looks before turning back to me. Twilight is the first to speak.

“Alright, although I think it would be better if Rainbow explained this. She was able to wake me up after the magical exhaustion although it still had some lingering effects. I am still not sure what caused that. I was more than certain I would be able to perform the spell, but that is something to look into another time, so…Rainbow?” Rainbow nods hovering closer to my bedside.

“Okay, so this is what happened…”

_____

Rainbow was flying to the edge of the forest with Twilight in tow, still dazed from the not so subtle awakening. As she approached, a group of distraught colts and fillies huddled at the forest line caught her attention. Getting closer now, small fragments of conversations could be heard.

“Did you see that thing, it was huge!” One filly yells.

“Why do think it ran into the forest like that? It looked really angry.”

“I thought it was going to eat me!”

“Well, I hope it comes across those no good blank flanks. I mean, how stupid can you get just charging into the most dangerous part of Equestria, like, come on!” A certain arrogant pony says in an audacious tone.

“Hey weren’t you the ones who dared then to go in there?”

“Shut up, loser, so what if I did, they didn’t have to listen to me you know!” Having heard enough Rainbow flies up to the group quickly.

“Hey, this tall creature, which direction did it head?!” The fillies and colts all look up to the worried pegasus.

“It went the same direction as those three fillies, right over there.” The colt points north.

“Thank you! Now, you should all head home, we’ll take care of this.” Rainbow turns back as the fillies and colts begin to file out of the scene. “Hey Twilight, they said that they all went this way!” Twilight heads over to Rainbow in as fast a pace as she can muster.

“Really, come on we need to follow them,” Twilight says still stumbling.

“Twilight, I know you want to help, but look at yourself you can barely stand! Besides…look, here comes Spike!” Rainbow points to the top of the hill behind them where a clearly distressed dragon was running down. Beside him were two other ponies, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.

“Spike, there you are *yawn* where have you been? Where are the others?” Twilight asks.

“I have been running all over town looking for everypony, these two are the only ones I could find in time! Also Twilight, are you okay, you don’t look so good,” Spike says with concern.

“I’m fine *yawn* just a little magic exhaustion. That spell took a lot more out of me than I thought it would.” Twilight had begun nodding off while Rainbow began to speak to Spike.

“Spike, I need you to stay here and look after, Twilight. I will take the others into the forest.”

“Are you sure I can’t come, I think I could really-”

“No, Spike. Twilight is too tired to go into the forest, and you need to look after her while we go search for Scootaloo and the others.” Spike at first has a look of uncertainty on his face, but it is quickly replaced by one of determination.

“You can count on me!” Spike says with a salute. Rainbow Dash nods as she and the others head into the forest.

_____

“Well, what happened next, and who is this Fluttershy? I don’t recall meeting her.” I ask.

“I’m getting to that, and Fluttershy is one of our friends. She is a pegasus like me. I am sure you two will meet…eventually.” I take on a bemused expression.

“Why the hesitation, is there some reason she wouldn’t want to meet me?” I ask.

“Let me just finish the story first, you will understand more at the end.”

“Okay, I guess.”

“Good, so Pinkie, Fluttershy, and I had been walking through the forest for about a minute when we heard something loud.”

_____

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

Three loud explosions sounded from further into the forest. The ears of all present mares perked up at the sudden noise. Looking to each other Fluttershy is the first to speak up.

“W-what was that?” The timid pegasus asks.

“It sounded like a party cannon! Yay, maybe somepony is throwing a party out here! Hey, I wonder why I wasn’t invited-”

“Pinkie, I don’t think that was a party cannon, come on let’s find out where that came from.” Rainbow and Pinkie zealously advance while Fluttershy continues to take slow hesitant steps. As the group moves on more and more muffled sounds and broken sentences can be heard. Until one line is heeded clear as day.

“Mister, look out!” Pinkie and Rainbow both recognize the voices in unison.

“That sounded like Sweetie Bell!” Pinkie exclaims.

“I heard Applebloom too! Come on, they sound close.” All of them go into a full gallop towards the sound. Roars and the tearing of bark and earth can now be heard. Still on a full on sprint the mares continue to be guided by the audible trail until…silence. That stops them in their tracks as they stand idly in front of the entrance to the clearing.

“G-girls, why did the noise stop like that? What do we do?” Fluttershy asks in a whisper.

“I don’t know, but I don’t think it is a good sign. let’s go see what’s going on.” Rainbow suggests. Both nod walking up to Rainbow’s still hovering form. Approaching the edge all of them bob their heads above the lip and peer into the clearing. They were not prepared for what was about to happen.

“C-chew on this you ugly mother fucker!” A series of loud *BANG*’s followed. All they could do was watch in horror as the hot metal tore through the head of the hopeless manticore. Pinkie’s eyes began to water as her mane fell flat. Rainbow was on the verge of vomiting, and Fluttershy just stared blankly as the limp body of the deceased beast fell to the ground.

Moments later Rainbow promptly released the contents of her stomach while Pinkie had begun to sob. Fluttershy maintained a stoic expression. All stood still as the events unfolded, that is until the stunned pegasus began to walk into the clearing, and towards the manticore. Still walking to the manticore the fillies take notice of the newcomer.

“F-Fluttershy, is that you. Come over here quick, Rodger needs help ah think he’s hurt!” Applebloom yells, but it falls upon deaf ears. Rainbow, finally recovered, flies over the younglings with a still saddened Pinkie following behind.

“Rainbow Dash, we need your help! Scootaloo is really hurt and so is Rodger. We need to get them to a hospital!” Sweetie Bell shouts. Hearing Scootaloo’s name Rainbow shakes from her stupor and begins scrutinizing the land around her to find her kin. Seeing Scootaloo hunched up against the tree Dash takes immediate action, flying over to her and grabbing the filly. While Rainbow is placing Scootaloo on her back she speaks to Pinkie.

“Pinkie, I need to get Scoots to the hospital, you snap Fluttershy out of it and get her to help you with, Rodger. Girls, follow me we need to get out of here!” The remaining fillies fall in line behind Rainbow Dash all trotting out of the forest.

_____

“Once we reached Ponyville we went to the hospital where they took care of Scootaloo. After fifteen minutes of waiting I started getting worried until Pinkie got here dragging you in through the front door. The hospital staff after getting over the initial shock took you into another room. When I asked Pinkie about Fluttershy…she said Fluttershy was still pretty shaken up after… that. I am not sure whether or not she has left her cottage since then.” That’s when it hit me. Someone who had never witnessed the horrors of war or killing, an innocent soul, had just seen me shoot down a living creature first-hand. I never really understood the gravity of that until now. I mean, they trained me to be able to drop bombs on civilian areas, to kill hundreds with no remorse. I can’t imagine how she feels.

“I-I am so sorry. She must still be in shock. When I get out of here I need to pay her a visit, make sure she is okay.”

“I can see you’re concerned and I really appreciate that you are worried for my friend, but I think we should wait a while, get the town more comfortable with you. Besides, considering what, she…we just saw, we should give her a little time to recover on her own.” Sighing in defeat I lean back in my bead.

“*sigh* Fine, I understand.” Both Twilight and Rainbow continue to wear somber expressions before Twilight changes the subject.

“W-well look at the time, It is nearly nightfall. I really need to get back to the library to check on Spike.” Twilight remembered, with the hastily darkening sky outside to support her claim.

“Yea, and I am gonna head over to Scoot’s room and sleep in there for the night, you know, be able to check up on her and stuff.” An awkward silence ensues. Several moments later I get their attention with a light cough.

“Ah-hem, yes well, I think it would be good for me to get some sleep as well, hectic day and all.” They both nod exiting the room.

“Goodnight, Rodger. I will be sure to visit tomorrow!” Twilight yells from the hall.

“Thank you, Twilight. See you then!” I reply. Rainbow began to exit the room before stopping at the door frame and turning towards me.

“If you need anything, I am going to be in the next room. Just give me a call.” That brings a smile to my face along with Rainbow Dash.

“Thank you, Rainbow. See you tomorrow.”

“Yea, see ya.” Rainbow exits the room turning off the lights and closing the door as she does. Now left alone in the darkness I become lost in my own thoughts, slowly dipping into unconsciousness. Eventually sleep overwhelms me.

_____

“W-what the hell.” Opening my eyes I am met with an unfamiliar sight. All around me are dirty white tiles. Their original pearl white color muddied by a cover of moss and fungus. Dim and blinking lights hang by nearly severed wiring above me. That’s when I realize I am lying in some kind of hallway. Attempting to get up my venture is halted as I feel a sharp pain in my back. Trying to move again I am met with the sound of crunching glass, most likely from the many shattered bulbs hanging above. Simply compromising with the movement of my head I nod upward to try and gain sight of my location. Up and down the hall I see nothing but black around me save for the remaining lights. Not conceiving any other option I do the first thing that comes to mind.

“Help, is anyone there! Help, please I can’t get up!” Silence is my only response. I am left staring blankly at the ceiling of the hall. Seeing nothing else I can do I try again hoping for an acknowledgement.

“Help, please! Please, is anyone there-” I had attempted to move my back to a higher elevation while speaking when something sends a chill down my spine. In the darkness I saw something. Like a moving shadow, an entity in the sea of black. I continue to lay there frozen in my place before mustering up all my courage to speak once more.

“I know you are there! I can see you moving!” This time I neither see nor hear anything. “Hey, don’t fuck with me ass hole I- ARGH!” An extreme amount of pain flows throughout my spine. The jolt causes me to crush my back against the floor eliciting more pain from the glass cutting into my flesh. Systematic searing pains pass through my brain stem. This causing me to flail spastically on the ground, eyes rolling into the back of my head. The sharp pain in my back now becomes a burning sensation that engulfs my entire form. A single flash of light passes through my retinas before a sense of falling envelops me.

_____

“*OOMF* Ugh, what the hell was that, where the hell am I now!” I fume not expecting an answer, but surprisingly a voice emanates from behind me.

“O-oh dear, are you alright! That spell is supposed to be harmless. I don’t know why it caused you so much pain. Here let me help you!” The voice, one again surprisingly, was very soft and gently, almost trusting. I feel a pressure start to build on my back as the pain begins to lift from my body. Once my thoughts are cleared I slowly sit up from my prone position, and speak.

“W-who are you?” I ask.

“My name is, Luna.”

Author's Note:

Yay, I'm back guys. Sorry for the delay, I've been busy studying for finals and other school work, so yea, watcha gonna do. Hope you enjoyed this chapter and leave you're opinion in the comments section. See ya next time.