• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 7,384 Views, 449 Comments

Take to the Skies - DamnToasty



A U.S. fighter pilot on a routine recon mission is sucked into the world of Equestria. Although he may not know it, he was brought here for a purpose. The very fate of this world may rest in his hands.

  • ...
26
 449
 7,384

Chapter 4: Protocol

Take to the Skies

Chapter 4: Protocol

Written and Edited by RobertBel98

“Well if it wasn't a pony then what was it?”

“I honestly have no idea. The only thing I was able to make out was a head, but even that looked weird. It was like it was wearing some kind of helmet or something. ” The Pegasus mare shrugged.

“Well that is mighty strange. Oh and Rainbow not to sound rude because I do appreciate you telling me all this, but why didn't yah go over ta Ponyville and tell Twilight. This seems like a problem more suited for a pony of her likes.”

“Yea I was getting to that, the reason I came here is because after it ‘got away’ from me I was still able to follow the sound.”

“The sound?”

“Yea it made this really weird noise like a loud hum, but that’s beside the point. The point is I was able to follow it here then it just, stopped.”

“Wait hold on a second. You’re tellin’ me that there is some kind of flyin’ metal bird here in sweet apple acres”

“Yea from what I can gather I think it must have landed in one of your fields, and that’s why the sound stopped.”

“Well I think we should go lookin’ for it. I’ll go get Big Mac and Applebloom and start searchin’ the apple fields. You go and tell Twilight what happened and come back. Then you can go an search the dry fields to the north.”

“Gotcha, I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“See ya Rainbow.” The orange farm pony than dropped what she was doing and ran for the farm off in the distance. The cyan Pegasus took off in a flash heading for the town.

‘This isn’t good. I need to get back to the jet and stop them before anything happens.’ I thought to myself as I turned and started to sprint.

I ran as fast as I could for the jet, zooming past dozens of apple trees. Then all the luscious green converted to a dull yellow
when I got to the barren fields. To the north I could see my aircraft glistening in the sunlight. I continued to run for the shining beacon. When I got to the aircraft I stopped to analyze the situation.

“Alright as crazy as all this is I still need to follow protocol. Okay, I have landed in a foreign and possibly hostile environment in an intact however incapacitated vehicle. Priority is that I disable the vehicle to prevent enemy obtainment. Well it isn’t like I got ten pounds of C4 on me so that leaves one option. Rip out the control panel, it might not be destroyed but at least they can't turn it on.” I then proceeded to advance for the aircraft.

I jumped up getting a hold of the left wing. With all my strength I pulled myself onto the top portion of the vehicle crawling for the still open capsule.

Falling in, I re composed myself straightening my back so I could properly rest in the seat. I reached my arms back swiping my hands across the space behind me before I felt something block my path.

“Gotcha you little bugger!” I proceeded to grasp and pull the object from its location hearing the tearing sound of several Velcro straps before it came loose. I rested the black case on my lap unbuckling the several cords holding is shut. Once all the cords had been separated the box swung open revealing an assortment of first aid materials and basic mechanical tools. Noticing the hex wrench I grabbed it in my hand then redirecting my sight to the control panel in front of me.

After placing the case back I leaned in to locate the several bolts holding the equipment in place. I located the bolts inserting and turning the wrench releasing the screws. Satisfied I grabbed the now separate control panel and swiftly yanked it from the aircraft. I felt slight resistance when the wired recoiled but they all quickly submitted to the force disconnecting at the joining areas.

“Well, now that that that’s done I had better get the fuck out of sight before…” As if to confirm my fears a faint voice was heard in the distance.

“Twilight come on can you move any slower. We gotta catch this thing before it gets away.”

“Sorry Rainbow Dash but if you have not noticed I CAN’T FLY!” Another slightly angered voice retorted.

Recovering from my momentary still state I leaped from the cockpit. I proceeded to slide down the wing of the vessel before falling to the ground, hard!

“Arrgh, god dammit!” I grunted to myself.

Stumbling to get up I looked around for any piece of cover. The only non-open space left was the tree line, but that meant I would be running directly into my enemy. A rather large tree stump right outside the forest caught my eye. ‘Maybe if I can get to it before they make it to the tree line I can stay hidden, and I can still get the drop on them if it comes to it. Well here goes nothing.’

I sprinted for the tree line as fast as I could. Once I got to the stump I basically dived headfirst into the ground before slamming my side into the large dead plant. ‘Well that was stupid.’ I think to myself as I slowly hide behind the stump. After settling I calmed my breath listening for any of the voices I heard prior, and sure enough…

“Alright Twi were almost there. The dry fields are pretty much just open space so if this is where it’s hiding it shouldn’t be too hard to find.” I recognized the voice it was of the blue Pegasus from earlier. ‘Apparently she is named Rainbow Dash’. I thought remembering the dialogue from the previous encounter.

“Rainbow Dash, are you sure about this. I mean flying metal bird. There is nothing in Equestria that even remotely resembles that.” The second voice from earlier said.

“If you’re so against the idea then why did you come?” Rainbow Dash asked rather infuriated.

“One you’re my friend, two on the off chance that you are right I think we should be properly document it and not just go blindly wandering into the situation with the intention of starting a fight.”

“Who said I was gonna start a fight!”

“Just basing it on past experiences Rainbow, just if what you say is true and we do manage to find whatever it is you saw please let me do the talking.”

“Whatever.” The voices sounded really close now. I leaned my head around the stump still hidden from sight. Suddenly some rustling in the trees caught my attention. I redirected my sight over to the origin. Two figures emerged from the dense brush. Rainbow Dash hovering in the air and facing backwards, and a purple… UNICORN!? ‘Okay first talking ponies, a Pegasus, and now a freaking unicorn. It’s like I have been thrown into some kind of mythos fantasy land.’ My thought was cut short as the unicorn began to speak.

“Well should we start looking or wha…?” The purple unicorn froze in place pupils forming pinpricks.

“Uh, Twilight, Rainbow waved her hoof in front of her face, you alright.”

“Rainbow, look behind you.” I now know what surprised her, she had laid eyes on my craft standing no more than ten meters from their position.

“What is it Twi… DEAR SWEET CELESTIA!” The Pegasus froze in shock as she fell to the ground with a thud before getting herself back up.

“Is that it?” The dumbstruck unicorn asked.

“Yea, maybe we should get closer.”

“Alright but slowly we don’t want to provoke it if it’s dangerous.”

‘Wait provoke it, loading… done, HOLY SHIT they think the plane is alive!’ I try hard to stile the oncoming onslaught of laughter as I grabbed my side pulling myself deep into cover.

I look at the mares as they cautiously advance towards the jet.

“What the hay is that thing!”

“Rainbow quiet down!”

“What it wasn't an insult and besides it looks like it is turned off anyway.”

“Wait a second… turned off. So it isn't an animal.”


“Twilight I never said it was an animal lust that it looked like a metal bird. I think it might be some kind of flying machine. I saw something inside it when I was alongside it and it was moving, defiantly alive. Although it’s gone now look, the mare gestures to the open canopy of the cockpit, it must have landed it and then split.”

“So wait. You’re telling me there is some sort of alien running wild in sweet apple acres!”
“For all we know it could be watching us right now, oooohhh.” Rainbow Dash attempts an impression of ghost irritating the purple unicorn.

‘Oh talk about dramatic irony.’

“Rainbow this is no time for fun and games we need to be serious!”

“Fine miss buzz kill.”

“Ugh, alright let’s go investigate. Can you get me on top of it so I can have a better look at the inside?”

“Sure thing.” The Pegasus proceeds to lift the purple mare by her fore legs onto the top half of the F-35. She cautiously walks over to the cockpit trying her best to keep her balance on the un-even surface.

“Whoa, Rainbow Look at this.”

“What is all that and why is it lighting up like that. Does it run on magic?” Wait magic. Well I guess since in a world filled with talking horses and unicorns that was bound to be a contributing factor at one point.

“No I can’t sense any type of magical field in the craft, and oh what’s this?”

“What is it Twilight.”

“It looks like something was yanked out of it right there. See how there’s that big hole with all the wires sticking out of it?”

“Yea, but why would he beak his own ship.”

“Probably didn't want anypony meddling with it. So he took the one key component that it needs to run.”

‘Oh clever girl’ I thought to myself.

I suddenly felt a slight warm sensation on my left side. Then I heard something, it sounded like breathing. Wait, oh-no.”
“This is a great hiding place.” The mysterious figure whispered into my ear.

I freeze, a cold sweat building on my forehead. I slowly turn to see a fluffy pink mare with a cotton candy mane and a cartoon smile spreading ear to ear staring directly at me.

“JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!” I whip out my pistol aiming it directly at the pink mare.

I here audible gasps coming from my right. I once again turn my head now seeing the Pegasus and unicorn staring at me. Eyes wide open and mouths agape.

“Oh shit.”