• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 2,983 Views, 33 Comments

The Defective Warp Pipe - Level Dasher



A creature named Yoshi lands in Equestria with a problem on his hands. Can the Equestrians help him get back home and assist him with his problem, or will he be delayed by means out of (or perhaps within) his control?

  • ...
19
 33
 2,983

Chapter 17: One Last Hoorah

As we left the library to go back to her cottage, Fluttershy and I were feeling a bit down. I was having a battle in my head, and she noticed.

“Um, if it makes your decision easier, I think you should help your friend as soon as possible. If that means tomorrow, then… well… it’s okay.” As Fluttershy said this, I noticed that she seemed to be having some of her own thoughts running through her mind.

I replied, “I know. I really need to help Mario, but when I do, I’ll never—”

“Don’t say it.” She didn’t have to tell me twice. I didn’t want to anyway.

When we got back to her cottage, it was right about lunchtime. Fluttershy asked me if I would start making lunch for the animals because she needed to go to her room to do something. I had a feeling she might need some alone time to accept our imminent separation, so I didn’t question it and turned on the stove.

Right as I finished cooking, Fluttershy opened the bedroom door. At the same time, there was a knock at the front. Fluttershy opened the door to find Rarity.

“Hello, dears. I heard about your conversation with the Princess.” She wasn’t giggling, so I guessed that she meant only the first part. “I realized that we still have a trip to make, and if Yoshi is not staying much longer, this may be his only opportunity to take part in our tradition.”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened as she said, “The spa! That’s right!” She looked at the clock. “We’re due in ten minutes, aren’t we? Oh Rarity, I’m sorry! I forgot!”

“That’s quite alright, darling,” Rarity replied. “You have clearly been distracted with more pressing matters.”

“Um, well, you could say that.” She put a hoof to her mouth— she seemed to be covering one of her flirtier smiles. Odd… “Yoshi, would you like to come? I’ll still treat you.” I nodded, laid out the various lunches for the animals, and headed for the door.


We arrived at the spa just in time to make Fluttershy and Rarity’s appointment. When we asked if it was a problem to add a third party member, we were brought in as if it had already been planned that way. After a quick introduction to the Spa Ponies, Lotus and Aloe, and a run-through of the treatment options, the three of us separated to various areas of the spa.

Fluttershy was getting her usual, basic treatment, so she was laying on a table getting a calm, Steedish massage. Rarity explained to Lotus and Aloe what had happened over the course of the previous day. They looked absolutely appalled. It was determined that Rarity needed the most intensive treatment they offered; thus, she was rushed into the back to take a hot, exfoliating shower to start.

I apparently still held some celebrity status, so I was offered any style of treatment I requested. I thanked Lotus and Aloe profusely and asked for a deep-tissue massage with slightly less intensity on my leg (Fluttershy approved of this), and if it was available, a melon aromatherapy. It turned out to be an easy request for them.

Since Rarity and Fluttershy were occupying both Lotus and Aloe, I was asked if one of the Spa Stallions would do (they were better at deep-tissue anyway). I accepted, and boy, was I glad I did. When Fluttershy’s massage was over, she settled in the hot tub, and Lotus came over to work on my leg while I was still in the middle of my deep-tissue massage. I never felt so relaxed in my life.

Because of the intensity and length of Rarity’s treatment, Fluttershy and I were allowed to relax in the hot tub until she was finished. After an hour and a half of spa therapy, Rarity finally stepped into the hot tub along with us. Fifteen minutes later, we all emerged from the tub, practically sparkling.

As we thanked our hosts and hostesses, Rarity and Fluttershy began reaching for their bits. Lotus and Aloe smiled, nodded to each other, and simultaneously said, “On the house today.” My eyes popped; I was stunned, and Fluttershy and Rarity wouldn’t hear of it. But they were rebutted with, “Oh please, you’re regulars! We treat our customers right! And we do have a celebrity in our midst! Please, our treat today.” They smiled, shooed us out the door, and immediately flipped their “open” sign to “closed.” It was then that we noticed the time— it was 6 o’clock. We had kept them an hour past their normal closing hour. Aloe smiled and waved at us through the door, then walked into the back of the spa.

We stood outside the spa doors motionless for a few moments, switching glances at each other. We were amazed we had received such wonderful treatments free of charge, especially after keeping them there after-hours. When we determined it was alright to speak, Rarity said, “Well! Now THAT was quite the end to a day! Wouldn’t you say so, darling?” She directed the question at me. I nodded with a still-slightly-stunned look. Fluttershy giggled. “They didn’t even accept tips! Fluttershy, we will have to give them double next time!” Fluttershy nodded in agreement.

“Alright, I’m going back to the boutique. I hope Sweetie Belle hasn’t burned the place down… Have a wonderful night you two!” Rarity winked. Fluttershy glared at her, but Rarity just trotted off, giggling. I thought of the possibility that Rarity knew something I didn’t, but at this point, Rarity probably understood Fluttershy and I better than anyone else in Ponyville. As I contemplated Fluttershy's reaction to Rarity's remark, I started piecing together theories as to what she must have been doing earlier during lunch…


When Fluttershy and I arrived back at her cottage, it was still fairly early in the evening. Fluttershy told me to go upstairs and take a rest before dinner to prolong the relaxation, to which I gladly conceded. As I walked into the bedroom, I just glanced straight ahead and flopped onto the bed, reveling in my body’s state of calmness. I wasn’t sure if Fluttershy was planning to do something as I slept, but I was too relaxed to really think about it. I tried to run ideas through my head, but I fell asleep after only a few minutes; I was so relaxed from the spa treatments I just couldn’t stay awake.

About three hours later, I awoke to Fluttershy tapping me on my nose and Angel standing on her head with what actually seemed to be an innocent smile. “Dinnertime, sleepyhead.” She had good timing. My body felt great and I was in the mood for a good meal. As I arose from under the blankets, I looked around and noticed that there were sheets all over the room, clearly covering some kind of setup. I hadn’t noticed when I walked in before.

I asked her, “What’s underneath those—”

“Ah ah ah! Not until later, nosey!”

“Um… okay.” I was right— she had planned something, and I was pretty sure I knew why. Now that the search for the Augmentation Stones was over, and we had basically decided that I was going to be leaving either tomorrow or the next day, she wanted to have one last farewell. Seeing all this brought me back to that dilemma— to stay or to go. I realized that this was a decision I shouldn’t even be debating— of course I had to go back and save Mario. We had agreed on that. But… what about Fluttershy and everyone I had met in Ponyville? Well, there was no use mulling over it on an empty stomach, so I gladly let Fluttershy lead me downstairs, where there was another setup waiting for me.

Dinner wasn’t anything overly extravagant, but it was different— a wide assortment of fruits, all of which I enjoyed. I had told Fluttershy I wasn’t a big fan of complicated meals, and as far as a farewell dinner was concerned, this was perfect. Fluttershy had added a bit of the romance factor by putting down a nice tablecloth and some candles, while relaxing dinner music played softly in the background. She wanted to know what had happened during the search, so I began the story. She grimaced at all the points where there had been potential for injury— not surprising.

Halfway through dinner she changed the subject to, well, everything else. It was at this point I confirmed my suspicions that this romantic dinner was only a precursor to what was to come. During the rest of the meal, Fluttershy joyously reminisced in everything that had happened the past few weeks I had been in Ponyville, reveling in every moment of it, even my injuries. It was clear to me that she was going to try to keep me with her as long as she could, even if it was only in her head. Recounting the memories would help her remember better, I guess. I didn’t blame her— I felt the same way.

We spent so much time at the dinner table reminiscing that the candles eventually went out on their own, simultaneously, like even that had been planned. We both had a start from the sudden darkness, but Fluttershy used it to her advantage.

“…Well… that certainly set the mood. Angel! We’re going to bed. Good night.”

As I saw Fluttershy quickly move ahead of me in the darkness, I felt a familiar little thwack on my back. I tilted my head down and said quietly, “Don’t worry, Angel. This one’s going to count. You might be in for a loud night.” I felt a small weight on my head and found Angel looking at me square in the eyes. He had on that devilish grin and was giving me the familiar thumbs-up of approval. I nodded to him and he bounced away, leaving me my path to the stairs, which was somehow now lit by tiny candles and strewn with flower petals. With this much preparation, Fluttershy was clearly planning something serious.

When I got to the bedroom door, I found it locked. “Hold on just a second, sweetie.” A few moments later, the lock clicked and I opened the door. The sheets had been pulled away, revealing candles of all kinds laying around the room, for the sheer purpose of effect, it seemed. When I took in a deep breath, I smelled the faint aroma of melons— my favorite fruit, and my most relaxing aromatherapy. As my eyes adjusted to the dim light, I approached Fluttershy, who was lying on the bed, twirling her hoof in circles. I crawled under the sheets with my candy-maned mare with only one thought on my mind— make it count.