• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 598 Views, 15 Comments

The Story of Zeta - Z-A-C



This is the story of my OC Zeta, and his adventure to Equestria after being exiled from his tribe.

  • ...
 15
 598

Chapter 3: The Food Supply Is Low

Due to me being incapacitated and unable to move, we stayed here for a day and a half. That gave Ganger and the mute mare time to bury Double and recover from the events prior. We left the hut yesterday, I am not fully able to walk but Ganger has been kind enough to help me walk. We haven't seen any other villages yet, but after finding out we're in the hottest, driest desert in The Zebra Dominion, it wasn't hard to figure out why. We were also going straight south to cut down on time. But having checked the food and water supplies, we will soon need to search for a village for food and water. We found an old broken down wagon, big enough to hold the three of us. We stopped there and I looked at the map. The map the Lead Elder gave me had all of the villages in The Zebra Dominion, and there was a village about a hundred miles from here.

"Hmm...if we go to this village," I tapped the position of the village. "It might add a couple more days onto this journey."

I heard the tapping of chalk. I looked at the mute mare. "Do we need to go there?" She asked. Ganger saw the board as well.

"Yeah, why add more time if you don't need to?"

I dumped out the food and water supplies onto the floor. "This is all we have left. Another days worth of water and enough food for one of us." I sighed. "I dislike it as much as you two, but it's necessary." I looked at the mute mare. "It would really help if we knew your name." She blushed and begin writing. "Ah I see. Nice to finally know your name, Velvet Song."

"That's a bit ironic." Ganger stated, earning a blank faced response from Velvet.

"Irony is cruel at times." I nodded and looked out of the window. "Well it's only two in the afternoon. We should get going."

"Right! Which direction is this village?"

"One hundred miles south-east."

She sighed. "Well if it means living to see Equestria."

"Okay then, let's go." I stood up and was able to walk on my own. "We should move quicker now that I can walk on my own." After a few small drinks of water we started on the journey once again.


We had about fifty miles to go, and traveled a little bit after dark. Thankfully there were no more monsters to fight. We found a small poorly made structure and used it as shelter. It was cramped and we to lay down uncomfortably close to each other. The exoskeleton of a Changeling feels weird and is not a comfortable pillow. I would have much rather been behind Velvet. Wait...that sounds...um...anyway, at least Ganger was warmer than one would think. I fell asleep due to exhaustion and woke up in a dream, similar to the one I had back at my tribe.

"Hello? Am 'I' here?" I asked, only silence for a few moments. "Am I here alone then?"

"Of course not. When are you ever truly alone?"

"Never it seems."

He laughed. "Never alone. How do you like your gift?"

"It was useful."

"Hmm yes. I must tell you that the longer you stay in that state, the more it will take out of you. But the more you use it, the less exhaustion will follow. Keep that in mind."

"I will."

"Good." He laughed. "It must be strange for you, huh?"

I looked around. "Everything that has happened recently is strange. I never thought that I would be traveling with a Changeling and a pony."

He chuckled. "Certainly strange indeed. I must go now, goodbye and check yourself when you wake up. You don't want to surprise Doppelganger." He laughed and I woke up.

"I wonder what he meant." I thought and felt something odd and looked down. "Oh..." I quickly stood up and was thankful that Ganger was still asleep. My sudden movement and the new cold feeling on her back caused her to slowly stir awake. Though I am happy that I am...presentable now.

"Is it time to leave?" Ganger asked.

I poked my head out of the "doorway" and looked around. The sun was rising. "If you move now, we could get to that village before dark."

"Okay, I'll wake Velvet up." She began shaking Velvet.

"But," She stopped trying to wake Velvet and looked at me. "If you would like, we can rest here for a few more moments."

"Well that does sound nice, but I think we should head out."

"Hmm...I agree."

Ganger shook Velvet and Velvet wrote out "Good morning" out on her blackboard. We divided up the rest of the food and headed out after we where done eating. It was not much but hopefully it will be fine for today, I have my doubts though.


Twenty five miles left to the village and Velvet collapsed. We gave her water and I am now carrying her until she can walk again. We can see the village far off in the distance, and that helped quicken our pace.

Hey...Ganger?" I said in between breaths.

"Yeah?"

"You might to change....into a pony...when we get close."

"That...would be...a good idea."

We arrived at the gates of the villages, and one of the guards stopped us.

"Stop! What business do you have here?"

"We seek supplies and medical help!"

He saw Velvet on my back and nodded. "What supplies do you seek?"

"Food and water, nothing more. We are on a journey to Equestria."

"Equestria?" He asked, we nodded and he did not question further. "I will escort you to the medical tent so your friend can get the treatment she needs. From there you be escorted to the market."

"But we don't have any money."

"It matters not, I will be there to explain the situation."

"That is very kind."

He opened the gates and turned around. "Come. We must get your friend to the medical tent."

We followed him and dropped Velvet off at the medical tent. I told Ganger to watch over things and the guard did not object. Like he said, the next stop was the market. This village seems to be doing better the my...former tribe's. The market place had plenty food. The vendors were even more then happy to give out free food for wanderers.

Bag full of food and canteens filled with water, I went to see how Velvet is doing. The guard was nice enough to take me back to the tent on his way back to the gate. When I arrived at the medical tent I walked up to where Velvet was. I pulled out some food from my bag and give some to Ganger and Velvet. Since it was noon we called it lunch, instead of breakfast. I warned Velvet not to eat too fast, I don't want her to become sick is well. The doctor came over to check Velvet.

"Ah you brought her some food. Good, good the poor thing looked starved."

"Well," I said. "You see, we were doing fairly poor with food. I only brought enough for me, and then I came upon these two. There were more but...they sadly didn't make it..." I shook my head. I do not want to relive that encounter.

"I see. Well it is good that you came when you did. She will recover in a day, with food and water. You don't need to use up your travel supplies we will provide her with what she needs." He smiled.

"What of the rest of us? You don't have any money."

"I see, yes that is a problem." He seemed to think about it. "I'm sure we have enough to spare for one day. Not a problem we will provide you two with food as well."

"Thank you, that is very kind." I say.

"Thanks." Ganger said. And Velvet wrote down her thanks as well.

"Not a problem, as I have said. You can stay here if you'd like. We don't have many patients so just find a bed."

"Thanks again." I say, he nods and goes back to what he was doing.

I look at Velvet. "How are you feeling?"

"A lot better now. Thank you for the food."

"You're quite welcome." I smile. "When do you think you will be able to speak again?" She erases the previous message and writes.

"I'm going to try to speak now." Ganger and I both nod and she opens her mouth. At first the was a creaky sound and then it just sounded like she was exhaling. She looks down and sighs.

"Don't worry, you will get it back in time."

She nodded and wrote. "Thank you" down on her board. I looked out side and it was about one in the afternoon.

I wonder what this is to do in the village?