• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 597 Views, 15 Comments

The Story of Zeta - Z-A-C



This is the story of my OC Zeta, and his adventure to Equestria after being exiled from his tribe.

  • ...
 15
 597

Chapter 1: The Prophesy

It was the day before my birthday, and well I'm not really excited. Here in my tribe, birthdays are seldom celebrated. The way it works in my tribe is; The older you get, the more you work. It's not so bad though, depending on where you're sent to work. Unfortunately after my birthday I am required to work "full time" and I am to be sent to work in one of the toughest places to work at; The Mine. The absolute toughest place to be sent to is The Quarry. In The Mine you work in a tunnel. In The Quarry, you work in what is basically a rock pit. And you don't have any shade. I feel bad for the zebras that have to work in The Quarry, especially since it's the middle of the summer. And it is really hot in the providence. I give out a sigh and walk to my room to see if it needs to be cleaned. Why am I not at work today? Because in my tribe, it is tradition to give the foal with an up coming birthday two days off. The day before and the day of the birthday. So since tomorrow is my birthday, I have today and tomorrow off. My parents? Well...um...my mother died giving birth to me, and my dad is at work, and before you ask my age, i'm seventeen. After a foal enters adulthood, as I said, is sent to work somewhere. Also the term "full time" refers to working there permanently. After you are told where to work, that's it. Well you could try to appeal to The Elders but they sent you where they need you, so I'm kinda stuck.

The sun is going down and my father just got home. He was fortunate enough to get sent to the marketplace. He says it's better then where his father was sent to. His father was sent to The Quarry, and this was back when they had barely an safety precautions. My father also said once that after he had turned "full time" work age his father crushed by a boulder in The Quarry. Father is nice to me most of the time, but I feel that he blames me for mother's death. Have I had any control over the matter, mother would still be alive. I feel that if our tribe wasn't constantly struggling, we wouldn't have to work all the time. If our tribe was better off, father and I could spend more time together. But that is simply not going to happen in the near future.

"Hello son." He said in gruff, tired voice. "Have you enjoyed today?"

"I was bored after I cleaned my room." I said walking to greet him. "Have you enjoyed today?"

"It could have been worse." He smiled. "I brought home a few things for dinner tonight." He reached into one of the hoof made sacks that rested on his side, and took out a potato, some leaves for a salad, two somewhat decent looking apples, and a small bag of berries. "I know it's not much but If I wanted anymore I would have to pay."

"It is fine father." I said with a smile. "If there is one thing you have taught me, it's to work with what you have."

"That is a good lesson to know indeed my son."

"Indeed it is father. Shall I go start making dinner while you relax. You sound tired."

"That sounds nice. It was a rough day."

"Very well, I will take these into the kitchen and begin."

"If you need help I will be in the main room."

"Yes father."

I took the sack from him and brought into the kitchen with me. I spread the salad leaves out on the two plates I set out on the table. I then scattered the berries on top of the leaves, cut the potato in half and set the two halves onto the plates, and did the same with the apples. I called my father after the plates were ready, and we sat down and started to eat. We had a conversation over dinner.

"So son, have you been told where you are being sent?"

"Yes. I will be working at The Mine."

He sighed. "I was hoping they would send you to The Marketplace. Then we could spend time together..." He said in a disappointed voice. "The Mine is a tough place to work, and not everyzebra in our village favors you." I was born with serpentine eyes, and had no friends because it.

"We are just not that lucky father," I bowed my head. "And I know. I hope the village can look passed my eyes."

"I share your hope." He said as he finished his plate. "Thank you for making dinner son. I enjoyed it."

"It was no trouble father."

He got up from his chair. "I am going to bed now. Sleep well son."

"Sleep well father." I finished my food and put the plates by the bucket to be washed later. I went into my room and laid on my bed for awhile before I was able to fall to sleep.


I woke up due to a series of loud noises. I called for father, but no response came. I walked outside and was quite shocked. The sky was red and chunks of rock was falling falling from it. My tribe's village was destroyed, with dead bodies everywhere. Then I heard a deep, gruff voice from behind me.

"Lovely, isn't it?"

"N-no! Who are you and what happened?!"

"Who I am is of no importance. As for what happened, the answer is simple; You happened."

"M-me?" I began to back away. "What do you mean?"

The voice stepped forward, and I was shocked. It was...me, but with a darker coat and a red eye, the other had a red tint to it. "Obvious now? Don't know the prophesy?"

"P-prophesy?"

"The foal born with serpentine eyes, shall bring about the end of the Zebra's beloved country. And then storm into Ponyland and then onto the Griffin Kingdom. Should no zebra, pony, or griffin stop him. He will rule the world with an iron grip." He smiled. "And that's you."

"Ponyland?"

He sighed with impatience. "The prophesy was made before it was called Equestria."

I shook my head and backed away further. "I don't want this! You can't be me!"

"You may not want it, but it does not matter. It will happen."

"I wont let it happen!"

He laughed. "We will see if you have a choice. But for now I think it's time you wake up."

"You will see! This wont happen!"

"You stubborn, aren't you? I am you from the future after all."

"Say what you will, I refuse to believe it."

"Suit yourself. Now, wake up."

I awoke with headache, and a pain in my right eye. I got up and looked into my small mirror and saw that my eye had turned red. I looked at my left eye but it was the same blue-green as it has always been. I went into the main room and saw father. I told him about my nightmare and showed him my eye. He gasped and told me I need to see The Elders as soon as possible. This worried me greatly, nozebra sees The Elders unless it's an emergency. He told me to clean up a little and the we would leave. I did as I was told and we left. There are five Elders. The lead Elder being the nicest.

We arrived at The Elders' hut and walked in. I had my red eye covered the entire way here. I didn't want any extra attention, the attention I get on a normal basis is enough. As we entered, one of The Elders spoke.

"Zeta, we have been expecting you." The leader said.

"Y-you have?"

"Still nervous as ever I see." He chuckled. "Somethings never change."

"S-so you know why I-I'm here?"

"Yes," Said one of the others. "It is your eighteenth birthday, is it not?" I nodded. "So then do you know of the prophesy?"

"I learned of it in a nightmare last night."

All of The Elders' eyes widened slightly. "You have had The Dream then?" Said The lead Elder. "This is further along then I thought."

"The prophesy does state that this would happen." One of the other Elders said. This one was a mare.

"That it does. I just hoped that it wouldn't happen." The leader replied.

"A fool's hope." Another said with annoyance in his voice.

"It may have been." He nodded. "But that is not important right now. We must discuss this matter. Wait outside, we will call for you when we have reached a conclusion."

Both me and father nodded and left the hut, but stopped just outside of the door. We stayed silent for the entirety of the wait but I could tell father was worried. I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried as well. It was several minutes before I was called for me. When father and I re-entered, they all had different expressions then before.

"Zeta, we have come to an agreement. Although reluctantly." The leader said.

"We have decided that, if the prophesy is true, you must leave this tribe." Another said.

"What!?" My father yelled, but quickly composed himself. "Forgive me for speaking out of tone, but isn't there another way?"

"We looked at all possible solutions, and exile seems to be the best way."

"Exile!?" I shouted. "You mean to tell me that I cannot return?!"

"Calm yourself Zeta." The leader said. "Exile may be more of a harsh term, but...yes. It is with much sadness to inform you, that you shall not return to this tribe."

I calmed down and composed myself. "I will take this as an adult." I nodded. "But where would I go?"

"I suggest going to Equestria, but it matters not to us."

"Very well. When am I too leave?"

"As soon as you pack everything you wish to take with you."

"I understand." I turned around.

"One last thing before you leave." The leader stopped me.

"Yes?"

"Understand that this is not a regular exile. You are not on bad terms with the tribe, this is just what we think would be best."

"Is there anyway I could stay?"

"The only way you could stay is if we had somezebra to teach you how to turn your curse into a gift." He hung his head. "But sadly he died quite sometime ago."

I held back any tears before they had a chance to form. "I see. I shall go now."

"You have my blessing Zeta. Be well on your journey."

"Thank you Lead Elder. Be well during your overseeing." Father and I left, and went back towards the house. When we arrived at home, I went into my room and got a bag, and put few books in it. I then went into the kitchen and put a few food items in my bag as well. I double checked my bag when I entered the main room and when I found that everything was in check, I looked at father and asked him if he could join me to the gates. He nodded and we left.

When we arrived at the gate to the outside world, the Lead Elder was there, as well as a small crowd. He looked at me and nodded. He cleared his throat before addressing the crowd.

"My fellow tribe member. We gather here today to honor this young stallion." I looked at him with a confused look. He winked and smiled. "This is Zeta. Today is his eighteenth birthday and he came to me earlier for my blessing, for he is going to take the Founder's Challenge." There were gasps from the crowd. "He knows that he may not return, but he is determined to earn the respect that completing this challenge will bring. He has set his destination to Equestria."

"Equestria?!" A zebra in the crowd asked. "Why so far away? Why not go to the border of The Griffin Kingdom and then come back?"

"Would you care to share?" I nodded. Playing along with the Elder.

"I feel that this long of a journey is what it will make for this tribe to see passed my eyes and view me as a normal tribe member."

The Lead Elder spoke after me. "And it saddens me that he feels that way." A few members of the crowd hung their heads. "But it is not my place to question such an important matter." He looked at my father. "I trust you have discussed it and accept your son's wishes?"

"Yes Lead Elder, though I have one request from you."

"I shall accept the request, no matter what it is. So long as it is not for you to go with him."

"I request that he be given a map, to aid in his journey."

"It shall be so. I happen to have one here." He walked up to me, and placed the map in my bag. "Are you all set, Zeta?"

"I believe so Lead Elder."

"Very well then. Be well on your journey and Stay well once it has concluded."

"Be well and stay during your overseeing, Lead Elder." I turned to my father. "Be well on your endeavors father."

"Be well and stay well my son." He said with tears showing in his eyes. I nodded and turned away from the crowd, took a deep breath and walked out of the gate. It was now that I chose to let the tears go. I will miss father, and my home.