• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 25,444 Views, 535 Comments

Felt Heart - Tchernobog



Rarity discovers an old tradition involving the exchange of felt dolls as a sign of affection. This sparks a brilliant plan to play matchmaker with her friends, and between herself and Twilight. But brilliant plans never go as expected, do they?

  • ...
36
 535
 25,444

author's notes

Yes, I know there's an author's note function built in. No, I don't plan on using it. It's ugly, and draws too much attention from the chapter itself. Bah to that!

First off, thanks to... way, way, way too many people. I've had a legion or prereaders, editors, and just friends to read the fic and offer feedback on it. Ranging from help with dialogue, to brainstorming ideas, and even to the poem at the very end. I find poetry to be the devil, so I had much outside help on that. I do think it turned out quite well, though!

As well as thanks to the artists that generously provided art for each chapter. Probably not something I'll repeat (unless they're willing? ;) )

This fic was an entirely different beast than the previous two. For Blue Wings, I didn't honestly know where I was going with it. I had the idea at the first chapter, then puttered my way through the remaining others. The quality shot up drastically when I took on the help of my editor/quasi-coauthor Macdjord, but it was still a chapter by chapter thing with not much of a plan beyond the next chapter.

Mood Wings, by dint of being much shorter, was an easier affair - it was easier to outline it, and write it all out in one go. After edits, it ended up like it is now - my most popular story by a fair margin. Though I do believe there are some aspects of it I'd like to have had when I first wrote it. Ah well, hindsight, 20/20, blah blah.

Felt heart was my first fic without a wing fetish!

...in all seriousness, it was a fun thing to work on. I couldn't even begin to tell you where the idea for it first came from. I was chatting in an irc channel with a few other authors, and out of the blue, the idea of "giving dolls of themselves in a romantic fashion" was a thing. Later brainstorming added a lot more depth to it - in the end, the outline document was several thousand words on its own, and 20ish or so google doc pages.

Despite that, I'd estimated around 15k words for this story.

Instead, we got 34k. Yeah, my estimations suck.

I actually wrote the entire thing before publishing a single chapter. It's changed since that first draft, mind you (it was 29k at that point, so it's gained a solid 5k words), but it felt so, so, so much more comfortable to write it that way, rather than post a first chapter, see where that goes, and work on the next. It'll be something I'll repeat later on for sure. Makes for a whole lot of work, though! (which is why I'm mildly bummed out at not getting in the "update feature box" despite getting #2 spot with chapter one. Maybe the mechanics changed recently? Oh well.)

Thank you again for reading, and look forward to my blog for hints at what I'm planning on next ;)

Comments ( 116 )

Commence read.

Good times.

Awesome work really. I am sad to see it end, but it ended on such a fantastic note. Everyone is happy, all the rumors and fears have been explained and quelled. You did an excellent job. Wish I had more to say but that's really about it. No critical comments or things you needed to fix. If I missed a glaring mistake then whoops. But I didn't see anything serious, so you're okay.

Wing fetish? This is a new concept to me. Maybe I need to read some of these Wing Fetish stories....

2427301
I admit it took me a while to remember he was here, while writing this. But poor Spike does deserve a mention - he, almost more than anyone else, is the one most affected by the events here. But he's young, and strong. He'll get through this.

2427325

It's more that my first two fics are "Those Blue Wings" and "Mood Wings"... one would think I'm a bit obsessed :rainbowlaugh:

You said you felt much more comfortable writing the entire story out, instead of going in a chapter to chapter basis? That might be something I have to try -- especially since going chapter to chapter typically leaves me with a TON of unfinished stories...

2427990
IMMENSELY so. The first draft, as mentioned, was 29k words and change. We then split it up into chapters, and edited those. The latter chapters got a fair bit of overhaul, as you can notice from the increased wordcount from that initial 29k. But having the entire story written first was an immense help, and the editing was mostly a matter of refining, adding things that might have been missing, clarification, and so on.

2428000

Thank you! :twilightblush: The abrupt smooch was a delight to write, and the solution is just so Pinkie. "Doll #1? Doll #2? Nope, I'll choose Doll #3! *smooch pegasus*"
RD suffers from the situation I put her in - one that I think is actually fairly plausible - she wouldn't want to appear like a big softie - just look at Spike's pet episode. The massive blush when Tank nuzzles her, and her stealth act at nuzzling Tank in the library. So she hides her lovable side...

The Canterlot scenes were almost purely there for humor... but it worked well in the flow of the story, I think. I'd love to have had a real scene to write for the Golem, for example! :twilightoops: And Spike suffers again... but I couldn't really focus on him without distracting too much from the rest of the cast.

Despite that, I'd estimated around 15k words for this story.

Instead, we got 34k. Yeah, my estimations suck.

Hazzah! The words have been doubled!

The ending was epic. "Can I play too?"

*snicker snicker*

...this....was the most.....adorable fiction I have read to date :pinkiehappy:

a good one. definitely worth the read :twilightsmile:

Very well done, thanks for sharing it :twilightsmile:

You know, Thcernobog, you really can't write a story without a wing fetish, can you? Because this one totally has a pony with a wing fetish in it, whether you deny it or not: Applejack. :ajsmug:

Grats on finishing the story! :heart:
Do you have anything in mind for the next one? :raritywink:

I actually wrote the entire thing before publishing a single chapter.

When I contemplated writing something myself, I felt like that was a way to go. :-)

A little sad to see it end, but I'm glad to finally see Rarity together with Twilight.
While it's far from my favourite pairing, it's one I like.

I would say this story deserves a translation to my languaje, so more people can enjoy it. :pinkiehappy: Right now I am working on the translation of A Stitch in Time, and I have some more on the list...but eventually, I will get into it.:twilightsmile:

2429501
Which language is that, if I may ask? :pinkiegasp:
2429404
I have a few ideas! I'll be posting a blog post later on.
2429276
:trixieshiftleft:
:trixieshiftright:
Shhhh.
2428718
That was actually the intent, for Pinkie and Flutters. They are so sweet on each other, and are growing ever closer, but never truly realised just what was happening to them. They thought they were just really good friends... and it took a little outside help for them to realise! :raritywink:

2429533 Swahili!! :pinkiehappy:

No, I'm just kidding. Just the old spanish :ajsmug:

I have translated some more fictions, such as the legendary On a Cross and an Arrow , Hard Reset and A Stitch in Time, Lo que Tenga que Ser Será (10/10), the first Winningverse fiction, A night (to try) to remember and...that's all. good, because it was getting boring XD

I have uploaded only Hard Reset and Lo que tenga que ser será. The other translations were for my friends, and since they were the firsts I made, are not that good. But I got better.

Past Sins is on the list as well...but it's just SO HUGE.

Can I upload it? Can I, can I? :pinkiehappy: The credit is all yours, of course. :pinkiesmile:

2429589
Of course! It would be an honor :)

2429591 I just hope I make it as good as the original :derpytongue2:

2429624
I do think it is a bit short - but I think that it works in favor of the storytelling, in this case. Anything more drawn out wouldn't have kept a coherent... pacing, I guess? It wouldn't have felt as good to drag it out much longer.

I do agree that RariTwi didn't have as much spotlight as they likely deserved - but in this case, it's the nature of the story. They're the only pairing which, despite Rarity's wishes, is not an actual, set relationship. AppleDash is set. PinkieShy is almost there. RariTwi... is in limbo. And sadly, it's reflected as such.

To be quite honest, I don't really see the pairing as working out well. If i went any further in writing it, I think that would show. However... it was the most fitting pairing by far for this fic. Wouldn't quite have worked if Rarity went after Pinkie or Fluttershy. (And AppleDash remains untouched, damnit :flutterrage:)

Awesome story, bro. Can't wait for your next one.

A very cute story centered around a clever premise. The tradition you invented was quite charming, and set just the right tone for the shipping. Well done!

2429974
Holy crap you're reading this? :pinkiegasp: Squee!
Thank you! It took a bit of work to get it just right - the idea of giving dolls to others in a romantic gesture was the basic idea, then me and my assistant writer/editor gave it a bit more substance and a bit more history. I think we did quite well :)

2430336
It really is somewhat contrived, I won't deny that. But it felt best to have three pairings set like this - easier to work with.. and still plausible ;)

Completed at last! Well done!

Great ending!

You know, this was going to be one I liked but didn't favorite right up until the epilogue gave it the final push. Something about the comedy pushed it over the edge it was already sitting on.

I promised you on DA that I'd finish reading this and I just did. It was fantastic. No less that brilliant and left me with lots of warm fuzzies. Do continue being awesome, I'll be looking forward to whatever you write next. :twilightsmile:

This was the best shipfic I've read for the mane 6 in a long time.
I didn't think I'd like some of the pairings- I have my own headcanon about romance and each of the ponies. But, I have to say, your portrayal of them was spot-on. And I love that Rarity started the whole thing. It really was sort of perfect.

And I loved Dash's attempt to make Sweet Apple Acres "more awesome." *grins* That was an excellent touch.

Well done!!

2432120
Thank you! Although if we're being pedantic, Luna started this ;) but yes, this is something I picture Rarity doing. Or, possibly, Pinkie Pie, but in a totally different manner - in your face, and you know immediately what it means. You just deal with the ensuing chaos later!
...which would make for an interesting alternate scenario. Hee.

I am disappointed. The premise of this story is fantastic, unique and immediately compelling, as well as a very creative twist on the secret admirer trope. The dolls themselves, their meaning and history, were a small detail, but they went long way towards infusing this story with life, and it feels like you've created a world all your own with them.

The descriptions of the dolls' creation is easily the highlight of the story. You could have glossed over it, but I admire that you took the time to fully describe each doll, how it was made, what materials were used. I could feel the hope Rarity was infusing each pair of dolls with, and her passion for her work. Story telling at its finest there. The initial delivery of the dolls was good as well, each pony reacted just as I would expect them to.

From there, I became frustrated. You switched the narrative perspective so frequently and repeatedly that the story began to feel jumbled and unfocused. It went from Rarity to Rainbow Dash to the CMC to Celestia to Big Mac to Pinkie Pie to Spike and every character in between, even the Canterlot librarian got a short section. It's not so much that I had trouble following the progression of the story, it's that it had no central, anchoring force to carry the story along, and each individual story became less effective as a result. It was constantly shifting to minor, incidental characters. At the beginning, Rarity and her affections for Twilight were the clear focus of the story, but soon her story was lost in the shuffle. Ensemble casts are great, but there's a reason why one character or a pair of characters are usually at the forefront.

The shipping is unbalanced. Nearly the entire introduction is on Rarity and Twilight, then it shifts almost exclusively to Rainbow Dash and Applejack for a chapter or so, and then rapidly switches back and forth between Rarity-Twilight and Pinkie Pie-Fluttershy towards the end. A better balance between the three, leaning Rarity-Twilight would have been more enjoyable and less jumbled. I was also a little disappointed that you never explored the why of these relationships. Rarity's feelings were explained, but for the rest it seems to be 'just because'. Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy's relationship was particularly underdeveloped, and Pinkie's admission of love came right out of left field. Also, Rainbow Dash acted absurdly stupid nearly this entire story. I understand you were playing her up for laughs, but she was just unbearable at times.

With all that said, I read romance for the I love you's. And this one was among the best. Rarity's final admission to Twilight, which you had been building up to the entire story, did not disappoint. It was beautiful and heartfelt, and Twilight's (as well as Spike's) reaction was perfect. Extremely good work there.

OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS STORY BECAUSE IT HAS TWARITY, APPLEDASH, AND FLUTTERPIE! THOSE ARE MY FAVORITE SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:raritystarry:

2426991 2428489 2430336
Tcher nixed my suggestion to have Celestia say "These are not the dolls you are looking for. Carry on."
:fluttercry:

2429339
At one point, the plan was to have PinkieShy not work out - Pinkie's interested but, um, Fluttershy's very flattered, but, you see, she prefers colts... if that's okay with you. :fluttershysad: In fact, that was the origin of the 'RD tries to set up Big Mac with Pinkie and/or 'Shy' joke - after the reveal, she'd try to set him up with one of them. (I am a PinkieMac shipper myself - opposites attract and all that~)

-- Mac, the Editor

2442662
Admittedly, this is true. But having these three ships tie off neatly is one thing. Adding Spike having a happy ending is slightly too neat even for me. Plus, I'm not sure what I'd do with him, to be honest. :ajsleepy:

2444955
Thank you for the epic sized comment! :D I'll look at those few sections - you're right, they do feel a bit flat.

To be quite frank, you're right. Rarity *would* likely be the first suspect - so suspension of disbelief is required for this. At the same time, though, the ponies aren't always quite as perceptive as we'd like. Take the "Too Many Pinkie Pies" episode.

Gee, all these Pinkies acting like, well, Pinkie. And there's one moping, sarcastically answering she has no idea how she'd be identified amongst the rest.:pinkiesad2: Hm. Doesn't sound like Pinkie... NOPE CAN'T BE HER!

:facehoof:

To really have made it a true anonymous gift, she'd have had to have them crafted by a third party, sent from say, Canterlot, and asked for anonymity from the crafter and so forth. But that would render the point of crafting them moot, as it's not done herself. On the other hand - we've never seen Rarity actually make anything like a doll, have we? At most, the costumes that got her her cutie mark. So while one could suspect her... there is no prior evidence pointing her way. Even though there are enough hints otherwise ;)

As for Spike... it's indeed an unfortunate necessity for any fic where Rarity doesn't return his affections. I do figure him to be somewhat stoic about it - he can be quite mature at times, and these would be one of those times, I think. The fic in this case is about the dolls, and Rarity - not about Spike. It would distract from it to have an entire subplot devoted to him, or to ignore him entirely (which I did kinda do until I remembered he existed, while writing), or to shuffle him off to someone else (like say the CMC). I think this way ends up being best - if maybe a wee bit too quick.

I'm glad you're enjoying all the rest! Hope to see more comments from you for the other chapters ;)

2446687
Funnily enough, I think some people have described my writing of her (in here or other fics) as ooc since she's not over the top. But this is better - within the story, it's much more fitting, I feel. :pinkiehappy:

Nothing to add, just :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Well done, critique is enough there, so I'll just shut up and add this story to my favs

Should I even say something? Is it really necessary? I think not.
I won't say what I think about this fic, because I'm more than sure that you know exactly what I think about it, and about you.

2465056
It's becaused PinkieShy is weaponised adorable, and I think it shows :pinkiehappy::yay:

Something tells me the update feature box is different for everypony. I'm pretty sure it's how I found the first chapter.

Okay I am not sure if you remember me or not. I commented on RatofDrawns picture about how this story didn't catch my interest. Then we conversed for a minute. I have finally got around to reading this and I have to admit, I wish I had read it sooner. This story is a really great one and you did a fantastic job writing it. I could barely contain my laughter when Rainbow Dash outed herself in front of everyone. Good job.

2480816
Ah yes, I remember that! Glad you liked it :pinkiehappy:

This is cute and very well-done. Faved. Loved. Would read again; will read again.

I think this is the first all mane6 paring story I've seen that made it really work for me, I've seen dannyboy do it in the background of a few of his stories but they don't come off as natural and well as they do here. The only thing I can think of that bugged me was when Rarity finally admitted to it, she didn't explain quite as much as I was hoping, like how at the time she made them she didn't realize how deep the love they represented was supposed to be or the felt hearts on them.

2561582
I figure that's the type of thing that is explained off-screen. At the time of the, well, confession, she's got other things on her mind ;)

2562198

It could be but when you have a character based story like this, you cant really have too much natural development dialog. It's just one of those things I like to see more of.

It was suitably silly where the rumor about Celestia In Love went in the end. I can already imagine the headlines the gossip magazines would print.

2674466
Thankee ^^ that was the aim, really. It didn't really have any purpose other than appearing in the newspaper/gossip rag at the spa for Rarity to read and scoff at ;)

I finally got up the nerve to read a much cleaner story so I read yours.:pinkiesmile:
It was enjoyable with its various bits of comedy and dramatic out of hand character situations that scream "Let's make an issue out of what I feel because doing things like a rational sentient pony would be silly!":rainbowlaugh:
I really need to make time and figure out who is "best couple" in the shipping part of the multiverse.:twilightsheepish:
That or herd all the ponies...:trollestia:

2881263
Glad you enjoyed it! It was much fun writing this.
And there's a clear answer for best couple: :ajsmug::heart::rainbowkiss:!

Login or register to comment