• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 4,943 Views, 555 Comments

Shadow of the Sun - Starwin



The sun has stopped moving! Twilight and friends must set out on a dangerous adventure to discover why.

  • ...
9
 555
 4,943

Chapter 24

Shadow of the Sun
By Starwin


Chapter 24


“Twilight, Twilight wake up!”

The words echoed in darkness. The sound was oddly distant and soft, as if the speaker was very far away. The name came again, her name. She struggled towards the sound, moving slowly as if submerged underwater. And then her eyes opened and the split second between dream and reality crashed together.

“Unh, Fluttershy?” asked Twilight uncertainly, her thoughts fuzzy and unfocused. “Is that you?” She opened her eyes only to be greeted by more darkness. In a panic Twilight struggled to sit up. Something heavy had been draped over her. She tried to throw it off, but couldn’t. “What happened? Where are the others?”

“Uh… what?” asked a voice that did not belong to Fluttershy. It took Twilight a moment to recognize the speaker. Spike. It was Spike’s voice. For a moment she had expected somepony else.

A small figure came into view, illuminated by a dull light outlining his form. Spike stood a few hooves away, a lone figure in the shadows. In his claws was a firefly lantern that gave off less light then a dying candle.

Gently, he shook the small glass jar and the little insects inside buzzed softly. More of the room became visible around Spike as the lantern shined brighter. The light filled the room with the warm glow of the fireflies.

“Twilight, are you alright?” asked Spike uncertainly when Twilight didn’t respond. “You don’t look so good.” For a moment, Twilight had half expected to be outside. She remembered that she should have been outside…

Twilight felt confused and disoriented. She didn’t know where she was or where she should be, but she didn’t recognize this place. It surely couldn’t have been where she had fallen asleep. She tried to think back to where she had last been but found the details to be fuzzy.

Her eyes moved through the shadowy surroundings, but she couldn’t make them out. She glanced back to Spike before letting her eyes wander to the firefly lantern he was holding. Her eyes lingered on it, looked deep into it. The little bugs raced around inside the glass, faster and faster, forming into a single great ball of fire that flared as bright as the Sun.

“Hello! Spike to Twilight! Are you there?” asked Spike’s voice. Twilight blinked. The small dragon was on her bed, waving a claw in front of her eyes. She looked back at the lantern he had placed on the nearby table. It once more had the normal dull glow of the bugs within.

“Uh, fine,” said Twilight, shifting her eyes back to Spike. “I’m fine. Spike, where are we? How did we get here?” Spike raised an eyebrow.

“Uh, well, we’re in your room,” answered Spike. He took hold of the lantern once more and lifted it to illuminate the walls around them. Sure enough Twilight could make out her bookshelves and desk. She could see the outline of Spikes basket on the floor. Her deep blue star patterned bed sheets were spread out around her. This was her bed. “We got here via the stairs.” He moved the lantern to cast the light onto the doorway that led down to the lower library. “Were you having some kind of bad dream or something?”

“Dream…” whispered Twilight to herself. Had it been a dream? Had all of it been a dream? The Sun stopping in the sky. Setting out with her friends on a long and dangerous quest… losing Rainbow Dash… Twilight tried to remember. She tried to think back on her journey across Equestria. But the more she tried, the more it seemed to slip away, like none of it had been real. “I… I don’t know.”

“Well, come on, you’re going to be late!” said Spike, hopping off the bed and taking the light with him.

“Late? Late for what?” asked Twilight. It was still very dark outside. What could she possibly be late for at this hour in the morning? Spike rolled his eyes.

“Don’t tell me you forgot!” cried Spike. “You’ve only been spending every hour of the past two weeks planning this!” Twilight looked at Spike in confusion. Spike sighed, dropping his head into his claws. “The Summer Sun Celebration, its today, in a few minutes!”

Whatever Twilight had been expecting, that wasn’t it. The Summer Sun Celebration was months away! Her eyes glanced down towards the calendar at her bed side and found, quite to her surprise, that Spike was right!

Putting a hoof out, she lifted the small calendar and examined it closer as if trying to find some signs of tampering. If this was some sort of practical joke, Spike had gone to a lot of trouble and gotten up extra early for it.

“Twilight, come on!” called Spike, waiting impatiently at the door. A weary feeling ached in Twilights stomach and on her horn she felt the slightest tingle of magic. Was that what Pinkie Sense felt like? Had her body just tried to warn her something was wrong? Or was it the memories of the dream, still lingering in her mind, reluctant to fade away.

She hadn’t gotten out of bed yet. Twilight was still debating if leaving her bed was even a good idea. Something wasn’t right here. She knew it, could feel it. But she didn’t know what wasn’t right. This all felt real, more so then the lingering thoughts of a nonsensical dream.

“Twilight, do you want to keep the Princess waiting?” asked Spike, sounding slightly annoyed. At the mention of being tardy, Twilight’s automatic instincts took over and she tumbled out of bed, dragging the sheets down with her. She fought with her bed spread, working hard to untangle herself from it before she scrambled for the door. “That’s more like it,” said Spike, hopping up onto her back.

“We can’t go like this! I’m not ready! I haven’t made a checklist yet!” cried Twilight, dancing nervously on the spot. Her worries of a few moments ago had been swept away in panic. She was faced with being completely and utterly unprepared to meet with the Princess.

“Don’t worry,” said Spike. He held out a piece of parchment for Twilight to see. “I have the checklist already done.” Her panic suddenly vanished, like it had never been. Twilight looked at the parchment Spike was holding out, her eyes reading the list and yet, making no sense of it. Spike had never willingly put together a checklist before.

“Item one,” announced Spike, pulling back the checklist so that Twilight could no longer see it. “Leave the house!” Twilight felt oddly compelled to comply. After all, the checklist said she had to, so who was she to argue.

Moving swiftly, Twilight hurried down the stairs, Spike’s lantern showing the way. Not stopping at the bottom of the steps, Twilight hurried to her front door and pushed it open. Sudden bright blazing light rushed in and Twilight raised a hoof to shield her eyes.

“Ahem, item two,” said Spike clearing his throat. Twilight lowered her hoof, confused by what she saw. It was fully dark outside, with no light what-so-ever, save for the twinkling stars. But she could have sworn… “Head to the center of town!” Twilight didn’t move. “Twilight?” asked Spike. She didn’t answer. “Hellllooooo Twilight?” Spike waved a claw in front of her face. She blinked.

“The Sun,” whispered Twilight absently.

“Yes, that’s right, the Summer Sun Celebration,” said Spike. “And we are going to be late if you don’t hurry.”

“No… No I saw the Sun, just now,” cried Twilight. She pulled the door closed.

“Twilight, what are you doing?” complained Spike. Twilight pushed the door open again, but it was just the same dark street outside. She closed the door and tried it again. Still nothing. “Twilight, come… whoa!”

Twilight bucked suddenly, tossing Spike off her back. He landed hard on the floor. Before he could sit up, Twilight was hovering over him, her hooves pinning him down.

“What’s going on?” demanded Twilight, her eyes narrowed in suspicion. Spike did not respond. The expression on his face was not one of fear, but of something like anger. “I want some answers!”

“The list says…” began Spike, his voice calm and measured. Twilight’s horn flared and the list zoomed over to them. The items were nothing more than illegible squiggles. “So… you did notice. You really are very clever.”

“Who are you!” demanded Twilight. “Where are my friends? Where is the real Spike?”

“It’s already too late…” whispered Spike. As he spoke his body began to dissolve into mist. Twilight’s hooves clopped to the floor as not-Spike faded out from under her, leaving Twilight completely alone in her library.


Twilight galloped as hard as she could, racing through the darkened streets of Ponyville. Even though it was night time, the town was oddly empty and still. There was a sensation that continued to linger in Twilight’s thoughts. Somehow, everything was wrong. She knew she shouldn’t be here. Except, she didn’t know where else she should be.

She had seen Spike vanish right before her eyes, turning into smoke like he had never been. Yet, he hadn’t been Spike. Something about him, since he had first awoken her, had been wrong. And then when he had suddenly vanished… Twilight had never seen anything like it.

Whatever was going on here Twilight had never encountered anything like it before. If only she could remember how she had gotten to this place. She struggled to remember the dream, the last clue she had in her mind. The images were already so fuzzy she didn’t think she would be able to recall anything new.

She could remember bits and pieces of her adventure that hadn’t really happened. Like Canterlot. They had gone to Canterlot and met… Luna, yes. But what they had needed wasn’t there… it was someplace else… hidden.

Twilight tried to remember what was hidden, but she couldn’t. She tried to remember where it was hidden, but she couldn’t.

She ran harder with no destination in mind. She didn’t know where to go. She didn’t know what to do. She needed help! She needed her friends she needed…

“Look out!” cried a small voice.

Twilight dug her hooves into the ground and skidded across the dirt before finally coming to a stop in the middle of the street.

For a moment, Twilight wasn’t entirely sure what she was looking at. There was another pony standing in before her, yet, the pony was strange somehow. A lantern hung from the pony’s back and there were two sets of eyes looking at Twilight.

At last, Twilight’s brain kicked in and she finally realized what she was seeing. It wasn’t one pony before her, but two. A smaller filly was riding on the back of a larger pony.

“Twilight, dear, why whatever is the matter?” asked the white pony in Twilight’s path. Rarity, it was Rarity. As Twilight realized it, the light from the lantern seemed to make Rarity glow brighter. Twilight could have leapt forward and hugged her, yet, there was something else here with them, something sitting atop Rarity’s back. Something, staring at Twilight. Something that the light did not show.

“Yes, Twilight,” said a cold voice that did not belong to the filly that spoke it. “Tell us what the matter is?” A muzzle slowly came forward from the shadows and Twilight recognized the filly at last. It was Sweetie Belle, except, something about her wasn’t right.

“Sweetie, there is no need to be rude,” said Rarity, lifting a hoof and patting her little sister. Twilight took a hesitant step back. The ache in her stomach and the tingle in her horn had returned, just like with Spike. “I’m glad I was able to find you. I guess we should head over,” said Rarity with a smile. Her expression faded as she saw Twilight. “Is something wrong?”

“Yes,” said Twilight, her eyes fixed on Sweetie, who was staring right back at her. “I don’t know what, I can just feel it.”

“Really?” asked Rarity in surprise. “You mean… are you saying you have pinkie sense?”

“Or something like it,” answered Twilight with a nod. “I’ve had a really bad feeling ever since I got up. Something isn’t right and…” Twilight looked away before turning back to Rarity and looking her in the eyes. “I feel… I feel like we are supposed to be some place else, doing something else!”

“You know, it’s very odd you should say that,” said Rarity looking a little distraught. “I had the exact same feeling when Sweetie woke me up. Why, I had completely forgotten today was the Celebration.” Twilight’s eyes suddenly flicked up to Sweetie Belle, who glared down nastily at her.

“And, it’s strange really, but I feel like I’ve been walking for hours now but not really getting anywhere,” continued Rarity.

However Twilight was hardly listening to Rarity talk. Her eyes were locked on the filly who was glaring back at her. A sudden shiver raced down Twilight’s spine and she knew what she had to do. Magic flared on Twilight’s horn, lifting Sweetie off Rarity’s back.

“Twilight! What are you doing!” exclaimed Rarity in horror.

“She isn’t right,” said Twilight harshly, dangling Sweetie in the air, out of reach of Rarity. “I’ve got the same sensation around her that I had with Spike. It’s like she doesn’t belong. Like she isn’t who we think she is. She knows something about all this! Tell us! Tell us what’s going on!”

“It’s already too late,” said Sweetie, a terrible, nasty smile spreading across her face. Her horn flared with magic and Twilight was forced to drop her. The moment the little filly hit the ground she bolted, galloping away as fast as she could.

Twilight didn’t miss a beat. She gave chase, charging after the escaping filly. Whatever this thing pretending to be Sweetie was, Twilight knew it must have answers. However, as Twilight followed it around the corner of a house, she found herself in an empty alleyway. Twilight skidded to a halt. Her eyes swept back and forth but the filly had vanished, just like Spike.


Rarity was visibly shaken. She didn’t seem to know what to think about her sister. The unicorn was on the edge of complete panic, pacing back and forth in near hysteria.

“Rarity, calm down,” said Twilight for the fifth time. “I’m sure that wasn’t really your sister. Just like Spike wasn’t really Spike.” Rarity did not stop pacing, nor did she acknowledge Twilight’s words. “We need to figure out what’s going on. We need to find our friends!”

Rarity stopped and looked at Twilight, then she resumed her nervous pacing.

“Do you remember anything before Sweetie woke you up?” asked Twilight. Rarity shook her head, but words didn’t seem to come to her. “I remember being someplace,” said Twilight out loud. She closed her eyes trying to will her thoughts to return. “Someplace cold, a forest of ice I think…”

“A… forest of ice?” asked Rarity, at last stopping her pacing. Twilight nodded.

“I was there with somepony else… I can’t remember who…” said Twilight. “As we went deeper into the ice forest it got colder and colder. Then, finally, we reached a clearing and… it was like a tiny paradise. It should have been freezing cold there, but it wasn’t. The ground should have been hard dirt, but it was soft grass. And the whole place was filled with small animals, like it was some kind of sanctuary for them…

“We found what we were looking for,” continued Twilight. “But when we took it, everything started to go wrong. The grass froze over. The ice forest began to crumble down and cover everything. We helped get the animals to safety. But there was something waiting for us. And that’s when I woke up.” Twilight’s gaze became distant and she touched a hoof to her chest. “Do you remember anything?” Rarity looked thoughtful for a moment.

“Yes,” said Rarity after a long pause. “There was a train ride and also a castle out in the ocean. And I remember two other ponies...” Rarity trailed off into silence.

“Do you know why you were there?” asked Twilight.

“It was a dream Twilight, there wasn’t any reason for me to…” began Rarity. “Although… now that you mention it. Yes, I think I was there to get something… something… hidden.”

“Me too!” cried Twilight. “But… not for me, for somepony else. I just can’t remember what.” The two fell into silence.

“So, what do we do now?” asked Rarity.

“We go to the center of town,” said Twilight.

“But you said that was most likely a trap!” exclaimed Rarity. Twilight nodded.

“Yeah, but it is still our best and only lead,” explained Twilight. “Something is going on here and we need to find the others to get to the bottom of it.” Twilight turned and began to gallop towards the center of town. A moment later, Rarity followed behind her.

A huge crowd of ponies were gathered out in the town square. A golden beacon stood tall in the center of the square, rising four dozen hooves into the air. At its top was a crescent circle, in which the Princess would raise the Sun. And standing below it, waiting on stage, were their friends.

“Ah, Twilight Sparkle,” boomed a voice. All of the ponies in the crowd turned and looked back at Twilight and Rarity. “We have been waiting for you and your friend to arrive!” The mass of ponies stepped aside, parting and making a path for Twilight and Rarity. “Come, you must hurry, dawn is almost late.”

Cautiously, Twilight and Rarity moved forward, the eyes of the ponies all around them watching silently. As they traveled, the ponies closed in behind them so that there was no hope of retreat.

“Remember, wait for my signal,” whispered Twilight. Rarity’s nervous eyes glanced at the horde of unsettling ponies all around them.

“And what is the signal?” Rarity whispered back.

“I don’t know, but you’ll know when you see it,” said Twilight. The last of the ponies parted to let them up onto the stage.

“Great,” whispered Rarity to herself.

The two friends came to a stop, halting before Princess Luna, who stood tall over them. For a moment, Twilight was confused. She had expected… somepony else, but she just couldn’t remember who. It was always Luna who preformed the Summer Sun Celebration… wasn’t it?

“If you two could take your places please,” said Luna, motioning to the two spots in the center. Pinkie, Fluttershy, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were all spread out in a semicircle around the beacon of the Sun, so that they faced Luna and the crowd of ponies. The last two spots appeared to be for her and Rarity and were right between their friends.

Twilight also couldn’t help but notice that each of her friends had a small companion with them. Applebloom was riding atop her big sister Applejack. Scootaloo was doing the same on Rainbow’s back. Angel Bunny held tightly to Fluttershy’s mane. And Pinkie, Twilight almost couldn’t believe Pinkie had been taken in by her riders. The baby cake twins sat astride Pinkie, glaring at Twilight as she approached.

At last Twilight and Rarity stood side-by-side, flanked on either side by Rainbow Dash, on Twilights right side, and Fluttershy, on Rarity’s left side. Applejack and Pinkie stood at either end of the semicircle. And Princess Luna stood in its center.

“Welcome my faithful subjects,” said Luna, raising a hoof out to the gathered ponies. “Today has been a long time coming. I have waited more than a life time to stand here before you today. Fate has conspired against me, trapped me, hidden me away from the world. But today, a new dawn begins and I will be reborn.” The crowd cheered.

“These six ponies are the bearers of the Elements of Harmony,” continued Luna. “Yet they have been lied to and manipulated by my sister. They believed they were using their powers to do good but instead they have done terrible things.” Twilight shot a sideways glance at her friends. None of them, save for Rarity, seemed to actually be listening. They were all smiling blissfully as if the words were praise.


“Today, they will help me raise the Sun,” explained Luna, holding out a hoof to the six friends. “They will use their Elements of Harmony to make right what they have set wrong. Through me will their power flow and as the Sun rises, so shall I take my rightful place as Queen of Equestria!”

Luna’s horn glowed and the Elements of Harmony shimmered into existence. The jewelry floated to each of the six ponies, the necklaces attaching around their necks and the tiara landing lightly on Twilight’s head.

“Use the Elements upon me and give me your strength,” commanded Luna. “Show us all the power you used to defeat the likes of Discord, who sought to throw the world into chaos!” The crowd cheered. “Show us the strength you summoned to push back the changeling army who sought to usurp my power.” The ponies cheered even louder this time.

“Show you the friendship we found to stop Nightmare Moon,” interrupted Twilight. The cheering instantly died away. Luna turned slowly. Her frightful green eyes locked on Twilight.

“Did you?” whispered Luna dangerously. “Or did you simply seal her away. Trapped in a prison of her own mind, forced to live a lie of a false existence?” Twilight’s eyes widened slightly. The world around Luna shimmer and Twilight caught the faintest glimpse of something else. Something that was not this place, something that was not Luna. “You are too clever for your own good, Twilight.”

“I know,” whispered Twilight. “Now!” she leaned towards Rarity, her horn flared with magic. Slightly startled, Rarity reacted, moving towards Twilight. Their horns touched and light exploded outwards from the two unicorns. The world was torn open before them creating a gap in reality that was not Ponyville.

Twilight struggled to comprehend the sight before her. She and Rarity were normal, standing in the night of Ponyville, up on the wooden stage. However to either side, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were half their normal pony selves and half nightmares, blazing with fire. Beyond them both Applejack and Pinkie were standing in the throne room of the castle fully transformed in fire.

It was as if Twilight were looking through some kind of hole, or rip in the very fabric of reality. On one side was Ponyville and the other was the interior of the castle. Two worlds, existing in the same place as the same time, but different from each other.

The throne room, that had moments ago been the town square, was filled with nightmares. In the center, completely surrounded was the princess Celestia. She was still frozen in stone, but had been turned so that she could watch.

And towering over them, the vestiges of Luna burned away, was Nightmare Moon.

In one moment of clarity, Twilight suddenly understood what she was seeing. They were dreaming. Ponyville, her side, was a waking dream made for their minds while their nightmare bodies followed the orders of their soon to be queen. Somehow she had used her magic to see both realities at once.

“It’s over!” said Twilight, straining under the magic. “You’re deception didn’t work! We won’t help you do whatever it is you are planning to do.”

“Yes, you will,” said Nightmare Moon softly. The dark mare’s expression was unreadable, but there was no hate or contempt or any other emotion that Twilight had expected.

Nightmare Moon suddenly flickered, her form becoming fuzzy, her shape shrinking slightly. For the briefest of moments, Luna stood in front of Twilight, surprise in her eyes. Then she was gone and Nightmare Moon returned.

“It would seem our time is shorter than I thought,” said Nightmare Moon, more to herself than Twilight. Her eyes flashed up to Twilight. “I want you to remove the spell you placed upon me. The one that sealed me back inside Luna.”

“No,” said Twilight before even considering the request.

“I see,” said Nightmare Moon. Her horn glowed and the rip in reality that let Twilight glimpse into the waking world began to close. The night of Ponyville began to return and her friends changed from nightmares back into regular ponies.

“You do not understand Twilight,” said Nightmare Moon. “You do not see things as they really are.” The magic continued to shrink, the crowd of gathered nightmares returned back to being regular ponies. Twilight’s view of the throne room was almost completely obstructed. All she could see was Nightmare Moon and the statue of Celestia behind her.

“But I will show you the truth,” whispered Nightmare Moon. She halted the rip in reality so that only Twilight’s head was exposed. The dark mare’s eyes glanced down. Hesitantly, not wanting to see, Twilight did the same.

She had expected this. Known this. Yet, she was not prepared for it. Her body burned with the fires of a nightmare. This strange reality she inhabited, it was a prison for her mind while her body was enslaved.

The gap closed and Twilight found herself back in Ponyville, her friends all looking at her expectantly.

“The time for foalish things is over, Twilight Sparkle,” said Luna, rising tall before her. “You will do as I command. You have no choice.” The self proclaimed queen raised a hoof and Twilight felt her body lift off the ground. At her sides, her friends were doing the same, floating upwards as magic flickered around them. The elements on their necks came to life.

“Use the Elements of Harmony to free me,” whispered Luna. The memories of the world that had just been were already slipping away as Ponyville became more real around her. “Use their power to undo this prison you have forced upon me!” The light in Twilights crown began to glow. Energy streamed from her friends, flowing into her, focusing into her. Luna opened her forelegs wide, ready to receive the power of the elements.

Twilight could feel the elemental energy reaching its peak. Any moment the power of the elements would rush forth and Twilight had no idea what that power would unleash.

“No!” shouted Twilight defiantly.

“You have no choice, you cannot stop what has been set in motion,” cried Luna. “My sister tried and you’ve seen what happened to her, what happened to all of Canterlot!” Luna pointed a hoof back towards the beacon of light that was actually Celestia frozen in stone in the waking world.

“No, I can’t stop this,” shouted Twilight. “But I also don’t have to use it on you.”

With all her strength, with all her force of will, Twilight moved her head slightly to the side. A brilliant rainbow of light exploded from the tiara, only just missing Luna and striking the golden beacon behind her.

“NO! What have you done!” shouted Luna. The townsfolk began to back away as cracks appeared in the metal structure. The rainbow light rushed around the beacon, causing it to glow. Suddenly the golden beacon broke apart and daylight erupted out of it. The town ponies scrambled away, galloping, flying, fleeing.

The roar of energy suddenly went quiet as the elemental magic subsided in an instant. Slowly, Twilight and her friends were lowered back to the ground.

“There, you have her back!” shouted Luna. Her body began to flicker once more, changing between Nightmare Moon and Luna in quick succession. “You have your worshipful Sun goddess! I do not care! But please, you must use the elements upon me! You must before it is too late!”

“It is already too late, sister,” said a strong calm voice that came from the blazing column of light. “It is far too late for any of us.”

Author's Note:

Dun, dun, dunnnnnn! Huh, I seem to be using that more than usual as of late... oh well...

Anyhow...

I hope you enjoyed. This was a fun chapter to write (as you might have guessed I really like the not-reality stuff a lot) but wow did it kick my ascii in editing. I don't know what it was but this chapter just didn't want to get finished! Every pass wanted more and more changes, edits, re-writes, additions and removals! Yet... it's still nearly what I started out with... I think my brain is just messing with me.

In any case, like most things it's reached the point of close enough (and out of time) so up it goes.

We continue into our final set of chapters next Saturday Aug 3rd, so I hope to see you back then!