• Published 28th Nov 2012
  • 840 Views, 8 Comments

Gummy's Quest For The Ultimate Prize. - Debonair

  • ...
3
 8
 840

P.A.R.T.Y? Because I Gotta!

Everypony was having fun at the party, except Twilight she had her nose deep in the Storybook. She just sat at a table turning pages. Everypony else was just talking and having a good time, Spearmint's attention kept going back to her. It just didn't feel right to have a friend who wasn't smiling, he learned that early on in his short life. He made his way over and sat down across from her. "Um, Twilight?"

"Uh huh," Saying she was distracted, would be the understatement of the year.

"I'm sorry,"

"For what?"

"I dunno." She looked up and smiled. "I was wondering if, since I'm a Unicorn." Spearmint was struggling to ask the simplest question.

"If I'd teach you magic?"

"Yeah that." He forced a chuckle.

"I don't even know if you can use magic."

"Perfect chance to find out." He batted his eyes flapping his sudden set of eyelashes, making her giggle.

"Okay I'll do it, we'll start tomorrow."

"But Twilight tomorrow's the Parade,"

"That reminds me I gotta go check on the float." Applejack said as she stood up.

"Can I come?"

"Sure, we can see how strong you are,"

"Please Pinkie,"

"I don't know." Pinkie scratched her chin.

"Please, please, please, please." Spearmint hopped around her.

"Okay you got me, you can go."

"Yeah," Spearmint High hoofed Applejack.

"You know what bugs me," Pinkie scratched her head.

"What?" Rarity asked.

"That was a Pegasus suit."

"I think I found his wings." Rainbow hovered over his back. "But their kinda out of commission for a while, he's gotta grow into 'em." Rainbow landed next to him and patted his shoulder. " It'll take a few days but I'm sure you'll be flyin' high in no time."

"Alright let's go A.J." He shook it off in a second and he and Applejack headed off for the farm. "How's Granny Smith?"

"Aw she's alright, she lost her teeth the other day, but somepony found 'em and brought em by yesterday, isn't that nice."

"Well I'm glad, you think I'm nice."

"Really, so Pink wasn't joking about Mare Do Well. can't believe she still has the suit. I gave mine back."

"So you're making a float?"

"Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle, asked if they could borrow the barn, and I'm sure they'll finish by this evenin. Specially since Babs is here."

"Babs?"

"Our cousin from Manehatten,"

"Oh a city filly, coming down to the country."

"Yeah, she's tryin ta get away from the Bullies back home, they've been teasin' her cuz a her Blank Flank."

"I'm a little confused about the blank flank thing, she doesn't have her cutie mark, why is that bad, she still has potential."

"That's what Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle said."

"If in oneself you don't believe, one can ne'er overachieve."

"Very Zen, we should take you by Zecora after a bit."

"The evil enchantress that does evil dances, if you look deep in her eyes she'll put you in trances, then what will she do she'll mix up an evil brew, and gobble you up in a big tasty stew, I know that's a lie, but still I try, to finish what I start, even when it makes me feel tart." Spearmint started singing."Left in the dark in a house made from bark, she sits alone in the park, when I see her I run to greet her, and tell her how glad I was to meet her, and know what it means to be a friend, forever and ever until the end."

"Quite the set of pipes." Applejack complimented.

"Thanks, living with Pinkie, you get used to it."

"And it shows," As they went through the gate Spearmint felt uneasy. "But one question though,"

"Yeah,"

"What happened to Pinkie, when her hair went all floppy, and why was it different this time?"

"Well, back when she was working at the Rock farm, it was all dark and the only thing keeping her alive was her nanna's stories. At first she thought they were just stories, and always looked forward to the visits. One day she saw a rainbow and for the first time smiled." As they walked he felt a pinch in his knee. Pinchy knee means scary thing. "Applejack!" He pushed her away as a Giant Pumpkin smashed into him. The shell slid down an invisible wall. The cowering Spearmint opened his eyes and found himself unharmed. "Are you okay?" He scrambled to Applejack and helped her to her hooves.

"Yeah, I'm fine," She shook her head and regained her composure. "Did you use magic?"

"Uh, maybe, I dunno, was that a Pumpkin?"

"Oh pony feathers, I need ta check on em, We'll get together some other time, see you tomorrow." She ran off leaving him alone.

"I wish I had a family, Pinkie's all I have." Spearmint felt restless as he spoke, he knew his words fell on ears other than his own. "I know you're there," He turned to where the figure stood under the shade of an apple tree. "So come out." The Mare only smiled and turned to leave. "Leave then," She disappeared in the same silence as which she came. "Page Twenty-seven, To yourself you must stay true,"

"To keep safe the world between red and blue." A familiar voice finished. Spearmint turned to find somepony who he didn't expect.

"Princess Celestia?"

"Yes," The regal white mare stood easily overshadowing him. "And who might you be?"

"Spearmint Wintergreen, Esquire,"

"How do you know of the book?" She cut straight to business.

"I've read it, up until the last chapter."

"How did you come across it?" He knew he shouldn't rat out Pinkie, but he was backed into a corner with just one question. "I left it in a safe place."

"Not safe enough for me to get my hooves on it."

"So you stole it?"

"It was on a shelf, I was bored, I read it."

"The book full of the secrets of the Magiverse, was on a shelf?" She raised an eyebrow obviously doubting his excuse.

"Spearmint!" Pinkie skidded to a halt next to him. "Woah Hi Princess," She bowed and whispered in his ear. "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything, I just sat here and she was there."

"You know this Colt?"

"Yep,"

"That explains it," The Princess smiled and chuckled. "I must commend you for your selfless act of saving the life of Applejack." Celestia bowed her head. "You have chosen your student well, Pinkamena Diane, I can tell his heart is pure."

"Thanks," Pinkie smiled. "What brings you here?"

"I have some news for Twilight that would be better heard in person."

"Is it about the Delegates from Saddle Arabia?"

"Yes it is,"

"That's great well we won't keep you, got places to be ponies to see."

"It was nice to meet you Spearmint Wintergreen." The Princess bowed her head once again and spread her giant wings, and flew off to the library.

"What does she mean, chosen my student well." Pinkie racked her brain for the answer. "Oh well, we'll find out next week." She shrugged her shoulders and winked at your computer screen. "Come on we need to finish my float and then we need to help with Pound and Pumpkin."

"I got the little ones," Spearmint loved playing with them, they were the only ones other than Pinkie who understood him.

"What is Summer Harvest?" Spearmint asked he had rode in the floats before but never knew what they were for.

"It's like thanksgiving," She broke eye contact to wink at you again. "But during the summer."

"That explains the parade and the big buffet afterwards."

"Gotta love small town Equestria."

"Before we leave, could we check on Applejack, and the fillies?"

"Sure," Pinkie smiled so wide she had to shut her eyes or they'd pop out. She and Spearmint ran to the barn but stopped short when they saw Three other fillies leaving. Spearmint knew who two of them were and guessed the other was Babs. Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara, their talents were being spoiled rich and obnoxious. He felt his hoof tense, why would Babs be with them, of all ponies? "Looks like Babs is making new friends." Pinkie was ignorant of the big picture which was unusual for her, and in the blink of an eye disappeared back to Sugarcube.

"This is bad, I gotta follow 'em, this can't be good for her." Spearmint used the ninja skills he had learned to climb a tree. With his new point of view he quickly spotted them, the branch gave way and he floated mid-air. "Don't look down. The first rule of cartoons, you don't fall until you look down," He shut his eyes and struggled to stay calm. He felt himself moving and opened them. "OH SHIII," His words were cut short by a facefull of dirt and apple sauce which he shook off in seconds. "I lost them." He pushed himself to his hooves. "The sun's going down it's to late to trail them now." He heard Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, and Scootaloo's voices. "They're not, gonna,"

"I knew it, Pinkie isn't the only one." He watched as they started singing for no apparant reason. He tailed them to Sugarcube corner, where they ordered a vanilla, a strawberry, and a chocolate milkshake but they were stolen by Babs, Diamond, and Silver. "This is bad." They bolted out and hid in the movie theatre, but Babs did something Pinkie wouldn't she came through the screen. "Wow I didn't know this was 3-D." He caught himself from pulling a Pinkie. "I'm getting off topic, they're on the move." He followed them through the entire music montage until they ended up at Sweetie Belle's house. "Huh, I coulda sworn she lived out of town." Spearmint was exhausted and slowly made his way to the park. Going through a whole night in what felt like two minutes was very tiring, and thought he might find a big tree to nap under or a rock to sleep on.

Comments ( 3 )

Cute fic. I keep spotting typos so you may want to give it a going over. Also are you suggesting gummy is now an alicorn?

2038362 Questions that will be answered soon

Login or register to comment