• Published 19th Nov 2012
  • 1,179 Views, 21 Comments

Wise Words of an Apple - Laichonious the Grey



Applejack is a hard worker. Most ponies don't realize that she is also a hard thinker.

  • ...
3
 21
 1,179

Standing Tall

Hey there, it’s me, Applejack. It’s been awhile since Ah came by an’, Ah just wanted y’all ta know, Ah’m doin’ alright. But, Ah guess y’already knew that.... It’s been hard. Nopony gets strong without a little push n’ pull, Ah s’pose.

So much changed when you left. It was like havin’ the ground pulled right from under mah hooves. We’ve been workin’ hard, trust me. Even if y’all couldn’t be with us... at least we could keep Sweet Apple Acres. Big Macintosh, heheh, he’s still big an’ he’s still quiet, but he’s always been there when we need ‘im. Ah know y’all are right proud of ‘im, ‘cuz Ah am. An’ sweet Apple Bloom, what Ah wouldn’t give t’have y’all see her now. She’s a good filly, Ah’ll have yah know, always ready ta help. Even if she lets ‘er friends carry ‘er away with silly ideas, she’s got her head on straight. Granny... well, she’s Granny, Ah hope she never changes. An’ me...

Ah’ve been thinkin’ lately, ‘bout what what y’all have taught me. When Ah heard it, well, Ah guess Ah never thought about how much it would help me. Ah never could’a thought it would help so many others, too. Y’know, Ah was angry fer a long tahm. Ah thought that y’all leavin’ was somethin’ against me. Ah used ta think that it was just th’ way it had ta be. Ah wasn’t s’posed ta have it easy, not like everypony else. Ah was gonna meet that challenge, an’ Ah was gonna do it by m’self.

But... it wasn’t ‘til later, after bein’ mad, an’ hurt, an’ lonely, even with family all around... that Ah realized it wasn’t about me at all. Ah was livin’ a lie, an’ Ah knew it. But Ah’d been doin’ it so long, well, it felt like a yellah thing to take a step back, like I was admittin’ defeat.

Right about then, I met Twilight. Ah could tell she wasn’t from around here, had the sound a’ Canterlot to ‘er, an’ she looked plumb lost. Ah know a pony who don’t wanna be someplace when Ah see one an’ Ah needed somethin’ to distract me from mah thoughts. The whole family was in town fer the Summer Sun Celebration an’ it’s always tough around that tahm. She was there an’ she looked like she could use some help, so Ah put to practice what you’d always said ta me, ‘Greet a stranger with a smile, an’ walk with ‘em fer a mile.’ Heh, after all this tahm, Ah still remember yer silly rhymes, Ah guess that’s why you made ‘em up.

Well, Ah started walkn’ with that mare, and Ah haven’t stopped since. It’s been almost two years since Ah met ‘er, an’ Ah gotta say, it’s changed mah life. All a’mah friends, old an’ new, have made me a better pony. It’s hard fer me to imagine what it’d be like without ‘em. Ah guess Ah’m startin’ ta see that Ah need them as much as they need me.... Listen tah me, goin’ on like this. I-Ah guess what Ah’m tryin’ ta say.... Wh-what Ah came here to do... was... I didn’t think it was gonna be this hard... Get ahold of yerself, Applejack! ... Ah wanna say... Ah wanna say, I’m sorry... sorry fer all the tahm that went by, wasted in bein’ angry. Ah’m sorry... I couldn’t... couldn’t be the daughter you wanted me to be... sorry it took so long to remember.... I’m doin’ better now, tryin’ ta make it up to yah. Ah’ll do mah best ta stand... stand tall like the trees. Ah miss y’all, by golly do Ah miss yah... but I can’t be angry no more... can’t be thinkin’ ‘bout my own self.

I... I... Ah want ta... oh heyseeds, Ah don’t know what I want. Ah want ta see you... hear yer silly rhymes and soft songs, but... I know Ah can’t.... I wanna say... thank you, but Ah can’t even do that. The best Ah can do... is to keep goin’. Life ain’t easy, but it does nopony no good ta give up and stop ‘cuz it’s hard. I’m gonna do mah best ta make y’all proud, Ah’m gonna do what y’all taught me ta do.

I... Ah’ll try ta visit more. This... is a nice place.... Ah’ve learned so much... Ah can’t right explain it all, but if there’s one thing Ah know, it’s love never lies.


Soft hoofsteps left the grassy knoll. A large apple tree stood behind two headstones, simple monuments to the lives that touched so many. The warm summer breeze rustled the bright and healthy leaves, played with the blades of grass and tousled the departing pony’s blonde mane. She walked with a bounce to her step, suddenly lighter than she had been in years. Though the world was full of confusion, disappointment, fear, doubt and pain, it was also full of love. All it took was knowing where to look.

Comments ( 6 )

Is some one going to get that phone? Because I Bucking

gemakei.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/i-called-it.jpg

Another awesome ending to another awesome story by another awesome writer.

Why the heck does this not have more views? This is amazing! The simple honesty and emotion....... Some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever seen.

... these were great stories and this was a great ending. :fluttercry: :pinkiesad2: a great write.

Well, I finally got around to reading it. I have to say it was a pretty darn good set of stories with solid lessons and anecdotes. I was particularly fond of Rarity's and Fluttershy's bits, as well as this final chapter. Its simplicity makes it shine; such is the essence of Applejack and the strength of the Slice-of-life style of story telling. Thanks for writing this, Laich.

Login or register to comment