• Published 1st Sep 2011
  • 1,641 Views, 17 Comments

Chips Brothers' Archive - JavaChips



open ended archive of stories centered around two brothers in a new enviroment

  • ...
6
 17
 1,641

Business as Usual

Micro Chips sat on the couch, looming over his GameColt as he watched the screen flicker and sounds filled the room. He gasped as he heard the door slam open with a loud thud against the wall. Java walked in, looking unenthusiastic. His mane was brushed back, smelling deeply of different fruits and flowers. He walked up to the mirror on the nearby wall and shook his mane, returning it to it's usual shaggy, bedhead look. “I'm starting to think Rarity is breaking her hair dryer on purpose,” he said a bit angrily, turning back toward Micro, who was back into his game. “This is the third time in a week she's brought me out there to fix it, and every time she insists she test it by 'fixing' my mane.”
Micro had been stifling back his laughs until his brother's mane was fixed, and looked up, letting out a chuckle as he spoke. “Well you're the one that keeps going back there Java, who's the real crazy one?” he retorted.
Java set the saddle bag full of tools back in the workshop and went back out to the living room, laying back to relax in a nearby chair. “You know the Chips' family motto. 'A customer in need is a customer indeed.' It's my duty as an entrepreneur to help out anyone who needs their electronics repaired.”
Micro smiled and shook his head, turning off his game. “You know dad only said that when he needed an excuse for working late right?”
Java shrugged and got up, going to the kitchen for a drink. “That's aside from the point. Did anypony come by while I was out?” he asked, sipping some water from his glass.
Micro nodded and walked over to the table where he left the request list. “Pinkie Pie broke her record player, Fluttershy is having some issues with her oven, Lotus and Aloe are having trouble with their radio system, some of the rooms aren't getting the signal from the speakers. I put that one as high priority. Cheerilee asked about getting the school's overhead projector fixed, but since it's summer that can wait a little while, and Derpy Hooves came by and wanted to let you know that your shipment of fuses arrived from Manehattan.”
Java sighed and finished his water, making his way toward the staircase. “Alright, I'll go take a quick bath and then go to the Lotus Spa, I smell like a fruit salad.”
Micro nodded and layed back down on the couch, sighing deeply as he returned to his game. For the past week Java had been working himself ragged with customer requests. “Good luck.”
------------------------------------------------
Pinkie Pie hung over Java's shoulder while he worked on her jukebox, watching him as he unscrewed the maintenance plate. “Whatcha doin' now?” she asked.
Java put down the screwdriver back with his tools, surveying the inner workings. “I'm trying to find what the problem is.” he told her. “Can you turn it on for a second?”
Pinkie nodded and put the record on top, pushing the button. Java watched carefully as the record bounced around on the spinning plate. “Alright, I think I see what's wrong with it.” he told her, going back to his tools.
Pinkie nodded and looked around inside curiously. “You do? What's wrong? Will you have to operate? Can I be the nurse? Maybe I should go get some band aids.”
Java shook his head, mind deep in the work at hand. “That won't be necessary, all I should need to do is adjust a couple of screws. The motor's gear is loose against the gear leading it's way up to the record table. Turn it off and I'll fix it up.”
Pinkie nodded and turned it off, stepping back. “Okie dokie lokie. I can't wait to play my records again, maybe I should throw an 'I got my record player fixed so now I can listen to my records again' party. But what do you do at an 'I got my record player fixed so now I can listen to my records again' party? And what do you serve? Is it supposed to be an eloquent dinner party? Or maybe it's a disco party? I guess I'll have to look it up. But then again I've never heard of an 'I got my record player fixed so now I can liste-”
“Done” Java said, interrupting Pinkie's undoubtedly unending rant. “It'll work just fine now.”
Pinkie gave a usual smile and turned it on, hopping around it as it played it's harmonious melodies through the air. Java chuckled and walked back to his tools, setting them back in his saddle bag. As he was packing up, he saw a rustling in the other pocket. Looking over to inspect it, he sent a suspicious gaze toward it. As he watched it rustle, a small alligator popped it's head out. Java let out a surprised and slightly fearful yell and backed up against the wall, surprised. Pinkie smiled and hopped over toward Java's saddle bags, leaning her head in close. “Pinkie Pie!” he said worriedly, “Be careful near that thing.”
Pinkie smiled and nuzzled the small gator. “There you are Gummy, I was wondering where you got to.”
The tiny alligator brought his toothless jaws around the pink pony's curly hair. It didn't even flop as she raised her head and smiled at her guest. “Don't worry, Gummy's my pet alligator. He couldn't hurt a fly even if he wanted to.”
Java sighed and made his way over to his saddlebags, putting them on his back. “I should have figured as much, only you would be crazy enough to live with an alligator Pinkie.”
He smiled and made his goodbyes, leaving through the front door downstairs. It was already reaching dusk as the sun set in the skies above Ponyville.
------------------------------------------------
Java came through the door of the house just as the moon began to rise in the sky. Micro was sitting on the couch where he was before, finishing up his game. Java smiled and set his saddlebags down near the door. “Have you been on that thing all day? I thought you were going to try going outside more.” he said, pulling his toolbox out of the left satchel.
Micro turned off his GameColt, setting it on the table. “I was going to but...I got caught up in the game.” he replied.
Java smiled and shook his head, walking toward the workshop. “We don't live in the big city of Fillydelphia anymore Micro, there's a bunch of open space around here. You should be outside, having fun in the park, walking around town.”
Micro looked surprised, hopping off the couch and galloping over toward Java in the workshop. “Java wait!” he yelled, but it was too late.
Java stood wide eyed in the mess that was the workshop, electronic parts and tools strewn about everywhere. His personal computer's monitor was upside down on the floor, the main unit on it's side. “What happened to the workshop?!” Java asked, flabbergasted. “It looks like a tornado ran through here!”
Micro looked down, feeling guilty about the mess in the room. “I-I'm sorry. While you were out Applebloom and her friends came by. I tried to stop them but they went into the workshop. They looked around and then said something about being 'Cutie Mark Crusaders Computer Makers.' by the time I got them to stop it was too late. I'm so sorry Java. I promise I'll help clean up.”
Java shook his head and sighed, putting a hoof to his head. “No, you go to bed. You'll want to be well rested for tomorrow. I'll clean it up.” he told him, turning around to smile at him.
Micro still looked upset, looking guiltily at his brother. “Are you sure?”
Java nodded, smiling. With a nod back, the young colt adjusted his glasses on his nose and made his way toward the staircase. Once he was sure his brother was upstairs, he turned back to the mess and sighed. “This is going to take a while.”
------------------------------------------------
Micro was suddenly awakened as a wrapped box fell on top of him. With a gasp, he sat up and saw his brother standing there in his room, smiling. “Happy birthday little bro!” he said enthusiastically.
Micro smiled and sat up, ripping the wrapping paper with his teeth as he opened the box. His eyes opened wide with disbelief as he pulled out it's contents, holding it in his hooves. “Wow!” he said happily. “Megamare 4! Thank you so much!”
He gave his brother a tight hug with his forehooves before flipping the box over to read the back of the case. “I've seen you playing Megamare 3, I knew you were itching to get the next one. I don't need to tell you it wasn't easy finding it.” Java told him, chuckling softly.
Micro nodded, tearing open the plastic covering it. “How did you get this anyway? There aren't any game stores in Ponyville.”
Java smiled and picked up his GameColt for him off the nearby dresser. “Twilight was nice enough to order it for me, she has friends in Canterlot who were willing to help her locate a copy nearby.”
Micro smiled and swapped out games, turning it on. His smile only grew bigger, watching the screen light up with his new game. Before he was able to start, Java took it up and smirked, leading him out of the room. “Hey!” Micro said, following after him. “Give it back!”
Java led him downstairs, and Micro was amazed at what he saw. Sitting on the table in the living room was a big birthday cake. Java smiled and set down the GameColt on the table, smiling. “It's vanilla, your favorite.” he told him, cutting off a slice and setting it on a plate.
Micro galloped up to the table and sat in front of it, smiling happily as he ate the cake. Java chuckled, knowing his little brother's weakness for vanilla. He took a slice for himself and ate it carefully. The two were enjoying their special breakfast when a knock came to the door. Micro watched as Java walked up to the door, fearing the worst. At the door was a worried looking Carrot Top. “Java,” she said, “You have to help me! My industrial juicer broke, and all the carrots in my pantry are about to go rotten. Please you have to come at once and fix it!”
Java looked at her, then back at Micro who was watching from the table. Micro sighed and looked down at the table. “It's fine, it's an emergency.”
Java walked up to the table, looking concerned. “Are you sure?”
Micro nodded slowly, adjusting his glasses as he pulled his GameColt over and turned it on. Java sighed and walked to the workshop, putting on his saddlebags as he walked back toward the front door. “I promise I won't be gone any longer than an hour.”
Micro nodded, enveloping himself in his game. Java sighed and walked away with Carrot Top, shutting the door behind him. Micro Chips sighed, breaking away from reality as he played his new game. Java's promised hour passed by, and then another passed as well. After the third hour passed without the young colt realizing, he reached a standstill in his game, trapped trying to find the next possible route. He sighed and saved it, putting it away in his saddlebag as he put it across his back. He stepped out and walked the streets of Ponyville, making his way through town square, trying not to draw attention to himself. Whether it was his skill of not standing out or that everypony was busy with their own daily routine, he succeeded, stepping up toward the library near the north side of town. As he stepped into the library, the violet librarian and her young dragon assistant took notice of his prescence. Twilight Sparkle smiled, a rare treat to see him anywhere but in his house. “Well hello there, Happy birthday Micro Chips.” she told him.
Micro blushed a bit and turned his head, smiling. “Thanks Twilight.” he replied, stepping forward.
The two met in the middle of the room as Twilight smiled at the sheepish pony. “Let me guess,” she started, “You're here to look for the Megamare 4 player's guide, right?”
Micro looked up, a bit surprised. “How did you know?” he asked.
She giggled, floating the lone book from a nearby table. “When Java came to me asking if I could help him find the game, I figured a major gamer like you would want the player's guide as well. Consider it my birthday gift to you.”
The book set itself down in front of him as he smiled, staring at the cover. “Thanks Twilight, it's a great gift.” the shy colt told her, putting it in his saddlebag.
Twilight nodded happily, brushing her tail lightly through the air. “Not a problem. Where is Java anyway? I would think he would be with you after working so hard to plan it. I can't tell you how hard it was to keep a certain pink pony out of the loop.”
Micro sighed and looked away, feeling upset. “He...had to do a service call for Carrot Top. Her industrial juicer broke, he needed to help her get it running again.”
Twilight shook her head, looking disappointed and angry. “That Java, the nerve of him putting you aside for Carrot Top. I know for a fact she breaks that juicer every year jamming too many carrots in it at one time! I'm sorry Micro you must be heartbroken!” she said in a rage.
Micro shook his head, doing his best not to look too sad. “It's fine, I told him to go. It's just...this isn't how he always was. Back in Fillydelphia there were so many electronic shops we were hardly ever busy, Java always had time to play with me, especially on my birthday, he never even considered taking service calls. Now he's always busy, every hour of the day...he's starting to turn out like-” he said breaking off, his breath rate rising.
Twilight looked over to Spike, who nodded instinctively and went into the kitchen to get some green tea. Twilight pulled over a table and some cushions to sit on, sliding a box of tissues over to Micro, who took one and blew his nose. Once the tea was on the table, she took a sip and tried to help him calm down. “If there's something on your mind Micro, you can tell me. I promise not to tell another living soul.”
Micro sipped his tea, taking deep breaths to calm himself, he looked up at Twilight, who was giving him a reassuring smile. “You promise?” he asked her, trying to be completely sure.
Twilight nodded and raised a hoof. “Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” she told him, doing all of Pinkie's ridiculous motions.
If he were in a better mood, he would have laughed and the strange hoof signs. After a brief pause, he took a deep breath and let out what had been on his mind. “Back in Fillydelphia, when me and Java were really really young, our dad would work really late all the time. Our mom would always be upset when he would come home really late at night. We weren't supposed to be awake that late, but sometimes we couldn't sleep. Our dad worked as a radio salesman, and kept the store open to late hours. Whenever Mom asked him to close the store earlier on, he would always tell her the same thing. 'A customer in need is a customer indeed.' it was his scapegoat excuse when he needed it. Eventually Mom got tired of it, and they got divorced. I didn't really mind that much, because he worked so much I didn't really know Dad all that well, in fact I still don't. Our mom worked really hard, but eventually she let Java take over the family funds, he had discovered his special talent was electronics and programming. As time passed, I guess Java realized that there were too many big electronics shops in Fillydelphia, and so with Mom's permission he and I moved here to Ponyville.” he took a breath, taking a moment of silence to continue collecting his thoughts.
“But now he's always working, I hardly ever seen him on time for dinner. And yesterday he said what Dad used to say, 'A customer in need is a customer indeed.' I thought he only said it as a joke, but now...he's never, not ever taken a service call on my birthday, he always treated it like the holiest day of the year. I'm scared Twilight, scared Java is going to be too busy for me like Dad was, and I'll be on my own...”
Twilight was shocked beyond words. She was taking a while to process everything that had just come out of her young guest's mouth. It was almost too much for her to bear. But finally, she swallowed some tea, let out a deep breath, and walked around the table, giving the colt a hug. “Micro, Java has spent the last two weeks planning your birthday. He came to me for help, doing everything in his power to get around without Pinkie Pie's knowledge. Trust me, he's not going to be going anywhere without you, and he's certainly not going to forget you. Still, if there's something on your mind you should tell him.”
Micro blushed a bit as the mare's forelegs wrapped around him, and nodded slowly. “I guess you're right, he's probably home by now. Thanks Twilight.”
Twilight smiled and slid the table back into the corner where it was before, smiling. “Come on, I'll walk you home.”
------------------------------------------------
The sun was setting as Java galloped for home. After finally convincing Carrot Top that her juicer was totalled, and would have to be replaced, he was able to get away and make his way home. Java angry at himself for letting it last so long. As he reached his house, he practically broke down the door opening it. Inside, Micro looked up from his game, sitting across from Twilight, who just glared over as she shut her book. Java looked a bit surprised. “Oh,” he said, “Hi Twilight, what are you doing here?”
Twilight got up and walked over, her hooves slamming against the floor as she made a bee line for the computer colt. “Java Chips,” she said as he backed away from her, “You mindless, arrogant, foalish pony, I oughta give you a piece of my mind!”
A bead of sweat fell down Java's brow. For a moment, she just glared at him, until finally she scoffed and walked past him, leaving with her book levitating behind her. “Unfortunately there's someone else in line in front of me.”
Java watched her leave, and then walked up to Micro, who was once again hiding in his video game. Awkwardly, Java sat next to his brother, feeling a bit ashamed. “Hey, I'm sorry it took so long...Carrot Top wouldn't give up with that juicer.”
Micro sighed and shook his head. “It's fine, you were just doing your job. It's just...” he said, pausing.
Java looked over at his brother, concerned. “It's just what? Come on Micro, whatever's on your mind just tell me. You know I'm no good at these sort of things.”
Micro sighed, pulling himself against the safe haven of his game to face the real world. “Java, you've never taken a service call on my birthday...and you've been working so hard, it's nothing like when we were in Fillydelphia. Back then you had so much free time, it was nice. I don't....I don't want you to turn out like Dad.” he finally said.
Java looked down at his brother, surprised. “Oh...that's what's been on your mind. Look Micro, being the only electronics shop in town, I'm going to be busier, it's bound to happen. Look, our dad was a busy colt, he buried himself in his work and that caused him to neglect his family. I will never, in a million years, become like him. I would have Celestia send me to the moon before I would do that. But that doesn't mean I can neglect a pony in need.”
Micro sighed and made his way toward the stairs, going up to his room. “I just wish it could be like it was in Fillydelphia.” he said quietly.
Java sighed. He felt guilty, even a little depressed. He had to figure out how he was going to make this up, possibly the biggest, stupidest mistake he had ever made. After thinking it over for a while he finally thought of it, and made his way toward the door. If he hurried, it would still be open.
------------------------------------------------
Twilight Sparkle made her way toward the Chips' electronic store. She was still steaming, thinking about what Java had done, but she had to put her emotional differences aside, her focus instead on the broken air conditioner in her library. It was surprising how warm the hollowed inside of a tree could get in the summer. As she approached the door to the electronics shop, she was stopped as she read a sign on the door. After taking a careful read over it, she smiled, turned around, and went home. The sign would be seen by many ponies that day, and it would tell them all the same thing.
------------------------------------------------
CHIPS ELECTRONICS
CLOSED SUNDAYS
NO EXCEPTIONS
------------------------------------------------
meanwhile, the Chips brothers were enjoying their day off, tossing a frisbee back and forth in the park.