• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 4,400 Views, 235 Comments

Reflections of the Heart - TheCloudtop



What do you do when you cannot let go of the one you love? Spikes unrequited feelings for Rarity are tearing him apart.

  • ...
14
 235
 4,400

Chapter 3: Revelations

Turmoil went crashing through Spike’s system at an alarming speed as Rarity’s words dropped on him like a sledgehammer.

You know this isn’t the end of the world right?

.................It’s over.

Hm?

It’s over. My purpose in life is over. What do I have to live for now that the one I love does not love me in the same way?

Give her a chance to explain.

Give her a chance?! I gave her a big enough chance coming over here in the first place! How could you expect me to do that again? What possible reason could you give me to trust her again?!

...........Because you love her, and you and I both know that you cannot do anything else. It goes against your nature, and great love such as yours is incapable of doing anything else but persevering.

...I know...It just...hurts.
********************************************************************************************************

Look at him. He is crushed. What have I done? This is the worst possible thing ever!

You told him the truth, that is what you have done. The truth is never easy to hear, and even harder to speak, but it is for the good of all involved if the truth is spoken.

The truth. What could you possibly know about the truth? The truth is he probably hates me now.

I know quite a lot about truth, and so do you. You know that this is the kindest service you could have done. Speaking of truth, it is about time he was told the truth behind your actions, both today, and the last ten years!

How can I tell him that, without building his hopes up again? If I tell him how I feel, that will only get him thinking that he has a chance with me.

Are you saying he does not?

Well...no, but that does not mean I want to rush into anything either. That will only hurt both of us in the long run, and I owe it to both myself and Spike that I do this the right way.

You have a lot of work to do, but you have just taken the greatest step in the right direction. A relationship has to be built on truth and communication, and you have shown that you are more than able to use both. Now, I believe you have kept your dragon waiting long enough. Not very ladylike to keep your dragon waiting, hmmmm?

“Spike?”

“Yes Rarity?”

“Would you be willing to listen to me, while I try to explain some things?”

“.....Sure.”

“I want to explain why I never took your feelings for me to heart, and ultimately took you and what you have done for me for granted.”

Spike’s face twisted at those words. “So, you admit that everything I did, and the love that I had for you, and still do, you just took that all and just used me?!

Rarity cringed a little. Remember, truth and communication.

“Yes, and you have my deepest apologies. I haven’t been honest with you, and I am just now understanding how much I have hurt you.”

Spike’s face twisted even more. “You think you know how much you hurt me? You don’t have a clue. How could you possibly know how I feel? After I saved you from Shimmering Sight, I was sure that you would see just how much I cared for you. But no, from there, you got with somepony that stole from you, almost causing you to lose your shop. After that, it was another stallion that was cheating on you with FIVE other mares. Who was there, each and every time, to pick up the pieces of your heart? ME! It was always me that you turned to. Me, who was always there to help you. Me, who never once hurt you. And you have the gall to sit there and tell me you understand how I feel!? How could you, when you have never been treated in this way?

Rarity sighed. This isn’t going to be easy.

“Spike, I DO understand. All those stallions? The way they treated me, is the same way that I treated you. That is why I can understand how you feel.”

Spike sighed and rubbed his temples with his claws.“So, let me get this straight. You say you can understand how I feel, simply because you were treated badly in your relationships?”
“Yes.”

“That is a bunch of crap, and you know it.” Spike glared at Rarity.

“I have loved you since the day that I first saw you. At first, it was simply a physical attraction. But as I spent more and more of my time with you, my crush bloomed into real love. Not love as those stallions claimed to have for you, but love that saw you for you, the good and the bad.” Spike said, looking into her blue eyes. “I saw how creative and perceptive you are, as well as how caring you are. As much as you like high society, you are different from the snobs in Canterlot. You truly see ponies for who they are, and that is why I love you as much as I do. You see things for what they are, no matter who or what.” He looked away slightly, claw clenching. “Yet, and YET, you seem to have failed in that with me. Do not sit there and compare the shallowness of the so called feelings that you had for those stallions to the love I have for you. You really have no clue, and the only thing keeping me here is the fact that I love you. And lets not forget, you just told me that you cannot return my feelings. What in the name of Celestia is up with that?!”

“Spike, right there is the reason that I cannot return your feelings. I have hurt you, badly. Do you honestly think that the best thing for either of us would be to rush right into a committed relationship, when neither of us are in a position to be in a healthy one? That is the mistake I made time and time again with the stallions I was with. They were not good for me, but I wanted to be with them anyways.” She looked down at her hooves. “I do not want to make the same mistake with you. I need to take the time to learn what it means to be in a healthy relationship, and you need to make sure that I am truly the one you want to be with be with. I love you Spike, so I want to make sure that we are both ready when, and if, we are ever together.”

“Okay, I get that. But that does not explain why you never took me and what I feel for you seriously.”

Rarity hesitated. “Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid of what? ME?!” Spike’s eyes widened at this, smoke starting to come out of his nostrils.

“Not you Spike. Never you. You are the kindest, and the most gentle individual I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. What I was afraid of was what your love represented.”

“Which is?”

Rarity leaned forward and put of hoof on Spike’s arm. “Truth. Sincerity. Genuine attraction. I have never known these things before, and I did not know how to respond to them, so I treated you, and your love like it was something other than what it is. And for that Spike, I am so very sorry. Can you ever forgive me?”

“Y’know, I can see why you said that it would be best to wait. I honestly don’t know I feel right now. I do forgive you Rarity, but you are right. We both need time, time to heal and to grow. That being said, where does that leave us now?”

“Well, at the starting point. We both have things we need to learn, and now it is up to us to learn them. I love you Spike. Please, know that much.”

Spike smiled a small, yet genuine smile at Rarity. “Had you told me that yesterday, I would never have believed you. After all this though, I can readily accept that. I love you too Rarity.”

The two of them leaned forward and shared a small hug. Spike got up, walked to the door, turned, and said “Rarity? Thank you.”

“Thank you too Spike, for listening to me, and for forgiving me.”

“See ya later?”

“Most certainly.”

Spike walked out the door, his heart much lighter than it had been in years.

Author's Note:

Okay guys, I did this just for you. I worked my butt off, but I did it. I put this out in the span of less than a day. If this is a little sloppy, it is because this was a rush job. I hope you guys and gals like this. I am most proud of this chapter, becaus e it taught me what I can do, with the right motivation. A big thank you goes to Racko. Without you, this would not have gotten done today. Please, leave a comment telling me what you thought of this chapter.