• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 4,400 Views, 235 Comments

Reflections of the Heart - TheCloudtop



What do you do when you cannot let go of the one you love? Spikes unrequited feelings for Rarity are tearing him apart.

  • ...
14
 235
 4,400

Chapter 1: Memories

Love. What is Love? Some ponies think it is an emotion. Some think that it is a thought. In all reality, Love is a commitment. It is far more complex and meaningful than just a common emotion; it is the most powerful force in existence. Kingdoms and empires all fall to the ravages of time, and even Dragons and Alicorns cannot escape its grasp. However, Love has outlasted time and it always will. Love was there in the beginning, before time ever existed. This is a story about Love, and the effects that it had on three individuals; two ponies, and a dragon. The Love that bound them together, tested their hearts, and ultimately forced them to make the choice between life and death.
_____________________________________________________________________________

For once, there were no outlandish performers, no giant, three headed dogs running through town, no cute but devastating bugs to deal with. It was actually a wonderfully relaxing and peaceful day in Ponyville. Applejack’s shouts of “Apples! Get your apples here! Three apples for two bits!” could be heard from one end of the marketplace to the other. Fluttershy was at her cottage, doing her best to give Angel bunny a bath, which he fought every step of the way. Pinkie Pie was at Sugarcube Corner, attempting to bake what she had long dreamed of: a CakePie. It was an ambitious creation, one that only Pinkie Pie, with her zany Pinkie Powers, would have ever tried. Rainbow Dash was taking one of her many naps in the fluffy clouds drifting above Ponyville.Twilight Sparkle was at Froggy Bottom Bog, researching various types of frogs and their subspecies It was indeed a very relaxing day for the citizens of Ponyville. At least, for all but two of them.
______________________________________________________________________________

Rarity stood in her workshop, on Carousel Boutique’s upper floor, a piece of blank paper in front of her. She stared at it, hoping for inspiration to strike. “Oh, what's the use? I've been standing here forever, with nothing to show for it! I haven’t had any new fashion ideas for weeks! What is my problem!?” Rarity let out a very unladylike shriek of frustration, sending the paper flying with a swipe of her hoof.

She slumped in a corner, tears pouring down her face. Her gaze swept the room. Her eyes locked onto a certain picture; one of her and Spike. Spike was standing beside Rarity, wearing a sheepish grin on his face, while Rarity, wearing the Fire Ruby that Spike had given her, nuzzled him.

“No Rarity, you promised yourself you would not think of that.” Obligingly, her thoughts immediately turned to the dragon. Rarity thought back to the Diamond Dog incident. I was a fool. He did his best to save me, and all I did was patronize him, giving him a treat, like he was no better than Opal! All those times he helped me in my shop, all I did was take advantage of him. I used him as a pincushion, and didn’t think twice about doing so.
Her tears started to flow afresh at the thought.

Even when he gave me his Fire Ruby, all I thought of was myself. I just toyed with his heart. I am supposed to represent Generosity, yet... Rarity just sat there, the guilt eating away at her like a river buffeting a stone. Her thoughts eventually turned to more recent events, to the one that was the catalyst of her present state of affairs.
______________________________________________________________________________

The one that stuck with her the most was a unicorn by the name of Shimmering Sight. He had been visiting Ponyville from Canterlot and he had come in search of a specific book. Rarity just happened to be there when Shimmering Sight walked through the door of the library. He promptly forgot all about the book and proceeded to stay in Ponyville in an attempt to get to know Rarity, and in the hope of making her his marefriend.

Things started off as well as could be expected between the two. Shimmy, as Rarity called him, was, for a time, the perfect gentlestallion. He was everything that Rarity thought she wanted in a stallionfriend; he was articulate, classy, and most importantly, he had an eye for fashion. Rarity truly thought that Shimmers was the one for her. He made sure that she was happy and content, and she in turn did the same for him.

But it was not long before tension arose between the two. Hoity Toity had requested a new fashion line from Rarity, and because of that she had many orders to take care of. She had to cancel several dates with Shimmy due to her workload. He tolerated this in the beginning, but as time went on, and Rarity became more and more involved in her work, his patience eventually wore thin.

One night, she invited him to the Boutique for a special surprise. She had been working on a gift, a truly marvelous suit for him. But the night didn't go so well; it was the night of the first and final fight they had. “Oh I just know that Shimmy will absolutely love this.” She took a step back to admire her work. “I know that he has been upset that I have been so busy. I can’t wait to see the look on his face when he sees this.” Rarity was so excited that she began hopping up and down.

Shimmy walked in just as Rarity stopped bouncing. Rarity, hearing him come in, turned around with a starry smile on her face. “What do you think, Shimmy?” she beamed. Shimmer took half a glance at the suit, rolled his eyes and sighed.

“What I think Rarity,” he replied, exasperation in his voice, “is that enough is enough. I can appreciate the fact that you are busy with your work, but this... this is too much. You work on stuff like this..." He waved a hoof at the suit. "...even when you don’t have to. I’m sorry Rarity, but I can’t be with a mare that thinks only of herself and her work.”

Her mouth fell open in shock. She had thought for sure that he would appreciate the gift. She had labored on it for hours and hours, just for him, and yet he still claimed selfishness on her part? It was almost beyond comprehension. She tried to say something, anything, but the words she tried to form were lost, trapped behind a lump in her throat. "And what of those other five friends of yours?" Shimmering continued. "You've been spending most of your free time with them! Do I even exist?"

She blushed out of guilt. She had indeed been spending more time with her other friends than she had with Shimmy, but almost all of it was prior appointments. "Shimm--"

"Who is more important to you, Rarity? The country bumpkins you've chosen to associate with, or the Canterlot socialite who took pity on your situation? Without me, you have no connections whatsoever to recommend you!"

Her eyes moistened as she listened to his diatribe, but her pain quickly channeled into anger. "No connections?" she scoffed. "Fancy Pants is one of my friends! Jet Set and Upper Crust counted me as one of their own! I even have a direct line to the Princess herself; I send her letters biweekly! Who are you to say that I have no connections?"

He opened his mouth, but she cut him off, just as he had done. "And another thing, Shimmering Sight: I've been neglecting my friends, and my work to make you this suit. I thought you would like it, I thought it would prove to you that I do care, but you obviously don't have the faculties to know sentiment when you see it!"

"Are you calling me dense?" Shimmering growled.

"If the shoe fits, might as well nail it on."

In a fit of rage, Shimmering's true colors came to the fore. "You insolent wench!" he bellowed, eyes wide and nostrils flared. "How dare you insult me like this!" He drew back a hoof to strike her, and she cowered, shielding her face.

"Don't touch her!" roared a heavy voice. She opened her eyes and saw Spike standing between Shimmering and herself, ready and willing to take whatever force was directed at his friend. Smoke billowed from his nostrils, his eyes flashed a deep ruby red, and his shoulders rose calmly up and down with his breath.

Where did he come from? she reeled. But it didn't matter much compared to the relief that his presence brought. Shimmering's expression changed. He had showcased the fury of an enraged minotaur, but with this new challenger, there was nothing he could do without risking life and limb. Slowly but surely, glaring death at Spike the whole time, he put his hoof down and, without a word he left the room.

“Rarity, are you okay?” Spike looked at her with a look that was nigh indescribable, filled with compassion, yet brimming with suffering and heartache. All Rarity could do was sit there, shock and disbelief plastered on her face. “

It’s okay Rarity. I’m here.” Spike wrapped his arms around her in a gentle hug. Rarity, coming to her senses, started to weep, burying her face into Spike’s body. Spike simply stood there humming a soft tune.
______________________________________________________________________________

What a fool I have been. Time and time again, I had stallions come to me, wanting to court me. And each and every time, those stallions broke my heart, and Spike was there to pick up the pieces. Like the fool that I am, I never learned my lesson. Each time they left me, Spike was there for me, and each time, I refused to heed what my heart was telling me. I have treated Spike in the same callous manner that those stallions treated me. What a despicable creature I am...

Author's Note:

Authors Notes- First thing I want to say is thank you to everybody who helped me with this rewrite. Saddlesoap Opera, Japansese Teeth, mbrsart, Nibrudly, Arby Works, InsanityCorps, Racko, without you guys, this rewrite would not have been possible. You guys have my utmost thanks. Also, thanks goes out to SonicMario3 and FanficsareMagic for being truly great encouragers. Thank you both! Additionally, thanks to Path of Cloud, for helping me out when I was first starting this story. To everyone that has EVER left any kind of feedback, you guys and gals are AWESOME! Last but not least, a HUGE thank you goes to Timey Wimey, for pointing out my pride and arrogance. Had you not done so, I probably would not have rewritten this. Again, thank all of you people for being as patient with me as you have been.