• Published 28th Dec 2011
  • 1,759 Views, 30 Comments

A Hero's Story - TheBlackPanda



The world of man has ended, though one has escaped and has made his way to Equestria.

  • ...
10
 30
 1,759

Chapter 7 Part 2: The Ballad of Sorrow and Despair

I stood there, my jaw on the floor. "She burned Manehattan by HERSELF?" I asked, dumbfounded.
Darkside just nodded. "Yeah, I looked and there she was, just staring at the city."
"You sure it was her? I mean, we DID have that incident two years when Kathrine took her form and started-"
He held up a hand, "I know, but regardless, she's a threat now. You know that we can't spare her. I know now that she was not to be trusted. She must be destroyed at all costs."
I nodded. This sucked.
"Anyways, I'm moving out."
"Why?"
"I'm going to stay with Fluttershy."
"You sure dude? I mean, won't you miss sleeping in the clouds?"
"I never sleep. Ever."
I shrugged, "It's up to you man."
"Don't party too hard bro!" he said with a chuckle.
I laughed. We said our goodbyes and I waved as he took off and flew towards Fluttershy's house. I floated up to Rainbow's cloud house. I walked in the door. She was no where to be seen. I walked all over the house. Finally, I went upstairs and to our room to find her laying in bed. I climbed in next to her. "Glad you're back..." She said with a yawn.
"Good to see you." I replied. She rolled over and stared at the ceiling.
"Do you know if that person that burned Manehattan will come here?"
"No clue." I climbed on top of her. She giggled.
"You wanna do that now?"
"Just a little bit." I kissed her. I broke the kiss, then she threw her arms around me and kissed me. She held me there until we broke the kiss to breathe. We put our foreheads on one another and looked into each other's eyes. As always, those rose colored eyes just seemed to make me melt inside. I loved them almost as much as I loved her. Evacuation wouldn't be necessary as long as we stayed here.

Mom had better plans.

As soon as I was about to get started, Luna straight up cockblocked me.
"Sorry to interrupt Brandon, but we're leaving."
"What?" I asked, "Why?"
"Because you're not just gonna let your friends die, are you? I told them, but you gotta go too."
I sighed. At least it wouldn't get any worse.

Then it hit.

The boom almost made me shit myself. Next thing I did, was look out the window to see the town on fire.
"Never mind. Mom, we probably should get outta here."
With out another word, Luna teleported us to where everybody else was waiting. I looked to see a train to Canterlot.
"It's the only place we can go..." Celestia hung her head.
"Why is that?" I asked.
"Look around.
I looked and saw smoke rising from almost every direction.
"No way... She burned so much in such a small span of time..."
"I am sorry. But this is how it must be..." Celestia teleported us all to Canterlot.

What we saw depressed us. There was so much violence. People were mugging, raping, and doing whatever else you could do with unlimited freedom. It broke my heart.
"No way..." Celestia dropped to her knees, "This is horrible. How could he have done something so horrible?" She loooked up with teary eyes.
"I have no clue..." I answered. The city was a fucking disaster.
"Well, might as well take the castle." I said, pulling my sword out and walking in that direction.
"How?"
"Simple. We kill every fucker in there, then make a barricade outta the place."
"That's good..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We killed everyone in there. It was funner than I wanted it to be. Maybe it was just me finally cracking under the pressure. Maybe it was the fact that they took everything I had from me. Maybe it was a combo of the two. Regardless, we killed them all and threw the bodies out the windows. Then we watched the city burn.

"I...forgot about Angel..." Fluttershy stammered, obviously in too much pain to even focus her words. She sank to her knees, her world shattered by the fact that she foolishly forgot about her animals, and started crying. Darkside simply got down on his knees and held her. It was heartbreaking. I looked away, and the smell of the smoke and ashes made me growl silently. He's gonna pay for this, I thought.

Then the reality of it hit everyone else in the face.

Pinkie hair went straight. "Oh no... I forgot about Gummy... And the Cakes..." She started bawling as loud as possible. Somehow, this was the most saddening.

The apple family and the farm were burned down. Applejack immediately thought of Apple Bloom. How she had died without purpose. Applejack took her stetson off, "I don't deserve this..." she threw it across the room. She began to cry.

The library had burned down, and Spike had been sleeping during the burning. Twilight sank to her knees. "Spike... I'm sorry... I'm... so... sorry..." She started to break down in tears.

Rarity's dresses and her business were burnt to the ground, along with Sweetie Belle. Rarity skipped the drama and fell to the floor and curled up crying over the death of her little sister.

Then Rainbow and I looked over to Cloudsdale. The city was crumbling. The screams could almost be heard from over here. "No... It can't be...I was supposed to be a Wonderbolt...I..I.." I grabbed her and held her to me as she broke down, as it dawned on her that the Wonderbolts were most likely dead because of this.

Then I thought of the Crusaders. The three girls had spent all of their lives searching for purpose, and that landed them in the afterlife, awaiting judgement. Hell, Scootaloo couldn't even fly. They died in a fire caused by.. someone I trained. Someone I let go. Someone that I allowed to do this. I should've done something. Instead, I was trying to fuck my girlfriend while the world burned. I was a total dick. Tears flowed out of my eyes. I stood up, after Rainbow had finished crying, and walked out. I needed to think

---------------------------------------------

Once I got to the balcony, I charged a ball of energy in my hand. With a yell, I threw it as far as I could, and listened to them scream. I fell to my knees and started crying.
"Why?" I muttered, "Why can't I hold on to anything? I did everything. I tried so hard to save others, only to have the people I worked to save die right in front of my eyes. I should be dying!" I screamed and pounded the ground. I should have been dying. I should have lost everything. They didn't do anything and they lost what they cared about. Why does the world work like this? I should be among those gone missing or dead. I looked at my hand and saw a knife right there. I pulled out my phone and turned on Blink-182's song "Adam's Song".

I knew I had to tip the scales. I wanted to join them, to make it seem fair. I thought of everything I lost. I didn't want this life anymore.

I never thought I'd die alone
I laughed the loudest who'd have known?

I placed the blade on my wrists.

I trace the cord back to the wall
No wonder it was never plugged in at all

I started sawing, amidst the pain.

I took my time, I hurried up
The choice was mine I didn't think enough

I had stopped feeling the burning sensation. Blood was flowing out of my arm.

I'm too depressed to go on
You'll be sorry when I'm gone

I could barely hear the song at this point. Dark spots danced in my vision. I felt the cold catch up to me. Finally I fell back. Laying on the ground, I stared up at the night sky.

I never conquered, rarely came
16 just held such better days
Days when I still felt alive
We couldn't wait to get outside
The world was wide, too late to try
The tour was over we'd survived
I couldn't wait till I got home
To pass the time in my room alone

The beauty of the night seemed to mock me.

I never thought I'd die alone
Another six months I'll be unknown
Give all my things to all my friends
You'll never step foot in my room again
You'll close it off, board it up
Remember the time that I spilled the cup
Of apple juice in the hall
Please tell mom this is not her fault

"I'm sorry. I failed. I'm a failure. I just wanted to make everyone happy. I was an idiot..."

I never conquered, rarely came
16 just held such better days
Days when I still felt alive
We couldn't wait to get outside
The world was wide, too late to try
The tour was over we'd survived
I couldn't wait till I got home
To pass the time in my room alone

Then I started slipping. I felt tears roll down my cheeks as death wrapped it's cold embrace around me. I finally felt peaceful. I closed my eyes and let myself go under. It was over. He took everything from me. What was the point?

There isn't a point in going on anymore...