• Published 2nd Oct 2012
  • 1,001 Views, 40 Comments

Pipers Tale - Saro0fdemonz



Just where was Piper for all those years? We're about to find out

  • ...
8
 40
 1,001

The Curse

A massive object of multi-colored blocks sat in front them, having crashed through the cieling of Canterlot Castle and landing just inches away from crushing everypony gathered in Celestia's throne room. Out of the strange thing jumped two ponies, a little filly and colt, both dressed in strangely familiar clothing.

"Sora?" Twilight asked in surprise. The colt looked over at Twilight.

"Whoa...check it out, dad was right, they DO talk!"

"Hey look at us, we're ponies!" The filly said with a giggle, bouncing about. She pouted as she looked over at the colt.

"Hey, how come you get wings?"

"Well you've got a horn!" the two argued back and forth for a full minute before being pulled away from each other by Pinkie and Strawberry.

"Sorry t' interrupt, but who in th' hay are ya'll?" Sunburst asked.

"Well I'm Roxas!"

"And I'm Namine!" Piper blinked.

"Do you know them Piper?" Twilight asked.

"No but...I feel like I should..." he mumbled.

"Well yea, cause your..."

"Hey! Mom said not to tell anyone!" Namine yelled before Roxas could finish.

"Wait, you two know who I am?" Piper asked.

"Well yea. Mom an dad told us all about this place from Riku's letters."

"Wait...Riku's letters to Sora? So that would make you two..."

"Yup, we're Sora's kids!" they said together with big grins on their faces.


A quick call to a guard later and Riku was in the Throne Room. He gasped in surprise as the ponies tackled him to the ground.

"Uncle Riku! Uncle Riku! we found you!" they chanted together.

"Oh great..." he muttered.

"Hey, how come we're all weird pony people?" Namine asked.

"I'll explain later. Why are you two here?"

"Oh!" Namine ran back to the crashed pile of brightly colored blocks, grabbing a bag and rushing back to Riku with it, pouring its contents onto the floor until she found a letter and began to read it loudly.

"Dear Riku, I know this is a bit un..une.."

"Unexpected"

"Yea that. Anyway. I know this is a bit unexpected but we're sending the kids to visit. We don't really have time to explain and you'll probably hate us for it, but we'll be there in about a week. Please keep an eye on them. Thank you. Love Kairi. Oh Sora says Hi." Namine smiled as she lowered the letter, feeling proud of herself. Riku rolled his eyes.

"Of course."

"Um...Whats going on?" Twilight asked. Riku sat up, both filly and colt jumping onto his back and bickering about who had the better spot.

"Sora's dumping his kids on me." he mumbled, taking a seat.

"Well I'm pretty good with kids" Pinkie said, offering her best smile.

"Thanks Pinkie."

"Ok, I'm confused." Twilight mumbled, putting a hoof against her head.

"Its ok Twilight, most of us are too." Rainbow said with a chuckle

"Can we just go back to the story?" Twilight asked


Piper rolled, flicking his wing, the blades bouncing off Monoclos' armor. He struggled to breath as the Gryphons claws closed around his throat.

"You die here and now Loya..." Piper blinked and found himself moving. Where he had been moments ago there now stood a Manticore, roaring as he wrestled with the Gryphon king, a wolf and unicorn quickly carting Piper away from the battle.

"Wait! we have to go back!"

"Well duh! But you can't fight like this." The unicorn said, quickly ducking into a tent and coming back with his armor and hoofblade.

"Thanks..." He quickly put them on, pulling the hoofblade free of its sheath and spreading his wings wide.

"Alright, our target it the king himself. Wolves guard the Princess'. Unicorns keep your spells ready. I'll go after Monoclos."

"Be careful." he gave a nod and took to the air once more. Scanning the battlefield for Monoclos.


"Whoa, what kinda story is this?" Roxas asked as he climbed on top of Riku's head and clung to his horn.

"Its not one for young colts or fillies." Riku said, pulling Roxas off his horn and setting him down.

"Geez, you've really been here way too long, dont'cha even know what its like bein a human anymore?" Namine asked.

"I know what its like and I'm happy here. But this isn't about me right now and Sora picked a hell of a time to drop you two off here. Wait were you piloting that ship yourselves?"

"Yea, until we lost our hands." Namine said, waggling her hooves for emphasis.

"Wait, you said your father and mother, Sora and this...Kairi, are coming here in a week? Perhaps he can help us." Luna said with a small smile.

"Yea somethin like that. Mom says I'm not allowed to say anything about it but that's just boring. Dad got all moody a couple days ago and his key started shining and there was this really cool light show that happened and then he got mad. After that mom set us up on this trip and they went off somewhere else. I think they were gonna go see Granpa Mickey." The room fell silent at the news. Namine blinked and pointed to Piper.

"I think its cause of him. I saw it in a dream! He was all.." Riku covered her mouth with a hoof and looked over at Piper.

"I think you should finish what you were sayin Piper." Riku said softly.

"Namine. You're named after a very smart girl. Someone who is very close to your mother. Don't ruin that name by making an idiot of yourself. If you were told to keep quiet then do so." The filly nodded, sitting down and keeping quiet.

"What does she know about Piper? What are you hiding Riku?" Twilight asked.

"Princess Twilight, I can promise you it would be better if Piper revealed it himself." Twilight blinked. It had been ages since Riku had called her Princess. She gave a small sigh and nodded.

"Alright...Please continue Piper."

"Well..." Piper glanced over at Namine and Riku, the looks on their faces making his heart sink.

No...I'm a monster...I don't have a heart...and they know it.


Piper dove into the battle once more, using a few Gryphon skulls as cushions as he skid across the ground, his blade finding the nearest head and removing it from its body in one clean swipe.

"MONOCLOS!" Piper roared as he made his way through the Gryphon army, raising his blade to stop Monoclos' claw.

"There you are. I feared you had run away."

"Just needed to get some things from home. It was a bit chilly out here." Piper said with a grin as he pulled away from Monoclos. Banter was lost between them as the battle continued, blade and claw, hoof and beak. Each swing would bring a new scar to the warriors as the battle wore on.

They leapt away from one another panting with their weapons held ready to block and strike.

"I'm impressed Loyalty. You put up quite a fight. My offer still stands, all you need do is bow."

"I'd rather die."

"So be it." Piper prepared himself for Monoclos' next attack, gasping in pain as he stepped forward. His left wing sat against the ground, completely useless. It took him a moment to realize an arrow had nailed it down, another aimed for his other wing. He tried to roll out of the way, but only managed to shift the arrow around inside of his wing, sending a shockwave of pain up his wing that almost brought him to his knees.

NO! I can't... he gritted his teeth, forcing himself to stand. He grabbed his hoofblade in his teeth, blocking Monoclos' claw with his wingblade on his good wing, wincing as he swung the hoofblade at the arrow in his wing. It snapped against the edge of the blade allowing Piper to quickly stumble backwards, blade held tightly in his teeth and desperately blocking the Gryphon Kings unending onslaught of attacks. He gasped as one attack forced the blade to cut into his mouth, the next knocking it out of his mouth and the next knocking him to the ground.

"After all that you're already finished Loyalty. I had heard the Elements were useless without the others to aid them. You are living proof of that. But not for long." The king raised his claw in preparation for the final blow.


"But you couldn't have died there, you're right here!" Roxas interrupted. Everypony throwing the colt a flat look that said they had all realized that already.

"What? We already know he lived and he beat the bad guy an blah blah blah. What I wanna know is why his eyes are yellow?" Roxas said, pointing to Piper. The pegasus blinked, his eyes quickly fading to their normal soft sky blue.

"If you keep your mouth shut you'll hear everything." Piper said softly. Even Strawberry backed away from him as the words left his mouth.

"I'm not scared of you!" Roxas yelled, a keyblade appearing between his teeth. Piper flinched, drawing his hoofblade on instinct.

"STOP!" Namine yelled, standing between them.

"Roxas, dad already told us these ponies are nice. Quit being a meanie!"

"He started it!" Roxas argued around the keyblade. Piper tossed aside his hoofblade and stood, facing the young colt.

"Go ahead." He said quietly.

"Piper what are you do..."

"Quiet Berry." he said under his breath.

"You wanna hit me? You wanna kill me? Go ahead kid. Can you do it with that little magic sword of yours? Like you said, I beat the bad guy and lots of other guys and I killed hundreds if not thousands along the way. Maybe I'm the bad guy here, no...I am the bad guy here. So go ahead, do it. But lemme tell you this.

The second you swing that blade, the second it hits me and ends whats left of my life...there's no going back. Ever. You'll convince yourself for a while that you can be your old self again, but then you'll remember how it felt and it'll haunt you for the rest of your life." He walked forward, stopping with the keyblade pressed against him.

"Go on, do it." He said, looking into the colts' eyes. Roxas stumbled backwards, his keyblade vanishing. Piper gasped, finding his face against the floor and one angry zebra smacking his head over and over.

"How could you go and scare that poor little colt!?" she yelled at him. Piper had no answer other than to let out another grunt of pain as Strawberry's hooves met his skull.

"I'm sorry!" he yelled out, the ponies around barely holding back their laughter.

"Piper, slayer of evil kings and monsters gettin his butt whooped by a lone little zebra. Oh how th' mighty have fallen." Sunburst said with a chuckle. Piper sat up, dusting himself off from the onslaught and blinking in surprise as Strawberry hugged him.

"I'm not just a lone little Zebra." she mumbled with a pout.

"Ok, this was fun and all but we've got other things to be talking about. Piper, this is taking way too long, can you just skip to the important part." Nova spoke up, getting tired of interruptions and drawn out battles to which they could guess the endings of.

"Hey you can't skip ahead! Everyones gonna wonder what happened!" Strawberry argued, pointing at thin air.

"Berry who are you talking about?" Nova asked, completely confused. Twilight smiled, placing a hoof on her daughters shoulder.

"Its a Pie Family Secret, don't try to understand it."


Here he was again, in the white void with Harmony looking down upon him.

"Piper..."

"Am I dead again?" he asked, catching the goddess by surprise.

"No, just unconscious. It is dangerous for me to awaken your living body from here."

"Well how long am I gonna be out?"

"Possibly a few hours. Monoclos is far too large for you to take on your own Piper. He is powerful and has almost no honor in battle."

"He told his soldiers to stand back."

"You provoked him. It wasn't a matter of honor, it was a matter of proving himself. Have you already forgotten your wing?" she pointed a hoof at it, revealing a large tear in it.

"Oh...I guess I did..." Harmony brushed her hoof over the tear, Piper watching as it sewed itself shut, his wing as good as new.

"Wh...huh?" He looked up at the Alicorn.

"This is a gift...and a curse. In time you will come to understand Piper. I am sorry."

"Sorry? For fixing my wing? I don't understand."

"You will." She gently shoved him away with her hoof and he found himself in the air, choking as Monoclos held him by his throat.

"HEAR ME CELESTIA! YOUR MIGHTY LOYALTY HAS FALLEN!" the gryphon roared. Piper swung his hind leg, smashing it across Monoclos' head and causing him to drop him, letting him roll onto his side and gasp for air.

The kings announcement had reached Celestia's ears and she was now charging toward the king with her best soldiers in tow. Those soldiers being a manticore, two wolves, pegasi, and unicorns, all looking to rescue the wounded pegasus.

After catching his breath he quickly rolled under the dazed king, jamming his hoof blade into the kings rib and quickly pulling away for another jab, leaving two neat holes in the Kings armor. Only when the blood poured from the holes and fell on top of him did he realize he was smiling.

Only then did he realize what he was becoming. Only then did he realize where the curse began. He didn't have time to continue this thought as he was pulled from underneath the stumbling Gryphon by Celestia's magic.

"RETREAT!" Monoclos roared, his guard carrying him away to have his wounds tended to.

"WAIT! We can finish him now! we can stop this here!" Piper yelled, struggling against Celestia's magic.

"Loyalty, I did not wish for this war and I do not wish for anyone to die. He is mortally wounded and I doubt he will pose much threat in his condition for some time."

"But..." he looked down at himself, noticing just how much blood had caked into his coat and mane. Almost none of it was his own.