• Published 16th Sep 2022
  • 605 Views, 18 Comments

Lost Shadows - FenrirOdinson

  • ...
 18
 605

Chapter 9

Author's Note:

Holly Crap! This chapter was a pain!!!
Sorry it took so long, I decided to do a time skip and it was harder to do than I thought.
But good news, I'm going to be continuing Finding love starting with Smolder.

Lost Shadows

Chapter 9

It had been six months since Shadow had been released from the hospital and had regained most of his strength. During the six months many things had happened, the least of which was finding out that Rainbow Dash was indeed a descendant of his old teammates Dawn Breaker and Storm Lance. What shocked him was that there was another descendant named Sunset Shimmer, a unicorn that was now living in a parallel world.



Twilight and her friends did their best to earn his trust and indeed they had. He found that they were all amazing individuals. He had become quite close to Spike in particular coming to see him as a little brother just as the main six had. The problem was that he had seen how Spike acted around Rarity. It frustrated him that Rarity either ignored his signs of affection or was completely oblivious to them. In either case he made sure to ask others about it, finding out that Spike has had a crush on Rarity since he and Twilight first arrived in Ponyville nearly four years ago.

Twilight and some of her friends had talked to Spike about his feelings but hadn’t really gotten any where with him, instead deciding to just be there for him when reality hit him.

Deciding enough was enough, Shadow sat the young dragon down to have a talk with him.

***

Spike had just returned home from 9helping Rarity out at her boutique and entered the map room, taking note that Shadow was sitting at the map reading a history book.

Looking up from his seat, he said,” Hey Spike. Can I talk to you for a bit?”

“Uh, sure. What’s up?” Spike replied before walking over and sitting next to the stallion he considered as a older brother.

“Spike. I want to talk to you about Rarity, more specifically your feelings for her.”

Spike was shocked by this and asked how he knew. Shadow responded that it was obvious to nearly everyone who paid attention but that wasn’t what he wanted to talk to him about.

“Spike, I think you should try and tell Rarity how feel about her. I know it’s scary but it’s better to know where you stand with her than not.”

“But what if she rejects me?” Spike asked, genuinely scared at the prospect from the mare of dreams.

“Then you’ll know where you stand with her. Yes, it will hurt. However, once the pain passes you’ll be able to start looking for somepony who does love you as you love them. Trust me Spike, there are plenty of mares who would leap at the chance to be with a guy like you.”

Shadow smiled at the young dragon. He had seen plenty of females look at Spike with the same longing he had for Rarity, and like her, he never noticed it. He only hoped that Rarity would let him down gently.

***

It had taken Spike a few days to work up the courage to confess his feelings only to return home deject. When he told Shadow and Twilight what happened both were furious with Rarity and wanted to go confront her but agreed Spike needed them more. It took a couple of days, but he started to feel better, it especially helped when several girls started asking him out. Smolder was the first to ask him out only two days after his rejection. It was a particular surprise when Starlight asked him out. Shadow became worried how Twilight would handle her student and number one assistant dating each other but to his surprise she was actually happy for them along with all the other girls in Spikes herd.



Of course, Shadow had some trouble with his recovery as he had pushed himself too hard too soon which resulted in Fluttershy getting angry at him. It was the first time he had seen her “stare” and it truly frightened him. He could fight Manticores, Dragons, and even Sombra’s army without hesitation or fear, but the moment Fluttershy got angry at him for pushing himself too hard in his recovery, he felt like a small child. She had made him promise not to do it again, to which he agreed since he didn’t want to make her even more angry or upset at him.



During his recovery, Cadance stayed in Twilights castle with him so they could know more about each other. She was particularly interested in their parents. Shadow of course told her everything he knew. From what they were like to their favorite foods. The time they spent together was great for both and helped them become actual brother and sister. The hardest part of adjusting to the new era he was in was the technological advancements, but Twilight, Cadance, and the rest were more than happy to help him.

A few days after his release form the hospital, he had the opportunity to meet Thorax, the new ruler of the Changeling Nation. During the meeting between himself, Celestia, and Thorax, the Changeling king confirmed what Shadow had told Celestia about the dark history between Equestria and the Changeling nation. During the meeting it was decided that this dark truth was to be revealed to the rest of the nation in the name of full disclosure and that the towns who had taken part in such horrendous acts would be held responsible for recent and future acts of the disturbing tradition of hunting Changelings. Shadow knew that many would be upset for this line of action, but it needed to be done to uphold the peace between Equestria and the Changeling nation.

During his recovery, he once pushed himself too hard and made Fluttershy upset with him. It’s was the first time he had experienced her patented “Stare" as everyone called it. It had made him feel like a young foul again who had upset his mother. He never thought anyone could make him feel that way, but here she was. A shy and timid mare made him feel like a child who was in trouble for rule breaking.

Current day.

Shadow was doing his rehabilitation exercises when Cadance knocked on his door, holding a young Alicorn filly. “Shadow. There’s someone I want you to meet.” Moving closer, Cadance gently hands him the small filly as it giggles and coos.

Looking down at the little filly, Shadow can’t help but smile, “She so cute, Cadenz, I’m mean, Cadance. Sorry, I’m still getting used to calling you by your preferred name.” he said while giving Cadance and abashed grin. Looking back down at his niece cradled in his arms, he playfully tickles her belly, causing the filly to laugh and grab his hand. “what’s her name?” Shadow asked.

Smiling, Cadance responded, “Flurry Heart.”

Lifting Flurry up, he rubbed his nose to hers and she giggled and place her small hands on his muzzle. “Mom and dad would have loved to meet her, Cadance.” A tear began to form in his eye, threatening to fall when he felt Cadance give him a comforting hug.

“I wish I had gotten to k ow them for myself, Shadow.” Said Cadance. “but I still have you and your memories of them. And that’s enough for me.”

Silence washed over them as the y took comfort in their newly formed sibling bond. The silence was broken when Flurry Heart started to whine from hunger.

“Looks like she wants her momma right now* said Shadow as he handed Flurry back to Cadance. “The doctors said I’m able to leave Ponyville now, but that I need to keep up with my exercises for my rehabilitation. If it's alright, I would like to go to the Crystal Empire and see how much has changed.”

Surprised, Cadanc looked at him as Flurry fussed in her arms. “Are you sure your ready, Shadow? It’s a long trip from here back to the empire.”

Shadow, nodded as her looked into Cadances eyes. “I’m sure, Cadance. And to be honest, I’m getting a bit of cabin fever being stuck in this castle day in and day out.”

Pausing for a brief moment, Cadance nodded. “I’ll make the arrangements so we can all go, Shadow.” With that, Cadance turned and left the room with her daughter in her arms to make the arrangements after feeding the young filly.

Looking out the window, Shadow couldn’t help but feel excitement and apprehension about his return to The Crystal Empire. His home.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment