• Published 16th Sep 2022
  • 605 Views, 18 Comments

Lost Shadows - FenrirOdinson

  • ...
 18
 605

Ch. 8

Author's Note:

Hey everyone, a couple of things before you start reading: firstly I'm sorry that it has taken so long to update. I was dealing with a really bad case of writers block. It took me way longer than I would have liked to complete this chapter, but here we are.😟
And second I couldn't come up with a name for this chapter and I welcome any suggestions.

Enjoy the chapter.🙂

Cadence and Fluttershy were the first to enter the room and greet him. The young wolf was still being carried but seemed eager to get to him by the way it was struggling in Fluttershys arms.

“How about you set him down on the bed Miss Fluttershy.” Shadow suggested with a small chuckle at the pups’ antics. Following his suggestion, Fluttershy placed the pup on the bed. The moment she let it go, the pup started to nuzzle Shadows hand and arm. Lifting his fingers slightly, Shadow began to scratch the pup’s cheek, surprising everypony by doing so.

“You can move a bit on your own now?” Cadence asked rhetorically.

“Yes, but only my fingers so far.” Shadow replied.” I’m more curious about this wolf pup. The fact it’s so attached to me is far from normal, from what I understand.”

Looking to Fluttershy for an explanation that never really came.

“You’re right. It is strange for a wolf pup to become so attached to any creature outside of its pack. I can’t explain it.” She said.

After a few seconds of thinking, a thought accrued to him,” Maybe he’s a familiar. It’s a bit of a stretch, but it’s the explanation I can think of.”

“A familiar? What’s that?” Spike asked.

Looking up at the rest of the room, the only expression Shadow saw on their faces was confusion.

“A familiar is an animal with latent but powerful magical abilities. Normally, those abilities stay mostly dormant, only giving them a higher degree of intelligence than others of their kind. They become highly attached to their master when they meet them. When this happens a kind of contract can be formed between them allowing the familiar to awaken their magical abilities. Their abilities mostly depend on who their master is and their abilities. Sometimes their appearance will change to somewhat match their master. Familiars are extremely rare to the point they’re more myth than fact as most of them never meet their master, so they essentially live as any wild animal would. The only reason I know all this is because of the records I read in the Crystal Empire.” Shadow explained.

“Do you really think that this young wolf is a familiar?” asked Luna, amazed as the rest that such creatures existed.

“There are a couple of ways to find out. One is for me to transfer some of my magic to him, forming a contract with him. However, if I’m wrong, it would only end up hurting him. The second, and safest way is to scan him with magic for magical power. While every living creature in world has some magic in them, familiars have far more than normal.” He explained, “Twilight would you be so kind as to scan him for said magical power?”

“Of course,” she replied before igniting her horn and sending out an almost transparent beam of magic to evaluate the small pup. The moment the beam touched the wolf he began to glow brightly with his own magical power.

“Well, there you have it. The pups a familiar.” Looking at the young wolf Shadow asked,” So what do you say? Want to form a contract with me?”

The pups’ eyes seemed to sparkle, as it let out excited barks. Taking that as a sign of agreement Shadow began to transfer some of his magic to it. The moment he did the wolfs fur began to change from brown and white to a dark grey, just like Shadows. The shadow beneath it became darker, rising up slightly for a few seconds before returning to normal. What happened next surprised all of them, including Shadow, as the young pup began to speak.

“Master! I’m so happy you made a contract with me! I hope we can stay together from now on. I like staying with the kind pony and she treats me very well, but I want to stay with you, master.”

Shadows jaw had dropped. “This is unexpected. I never read anything about familiars being able to speak like we can. Clearly there is far more to learn about familiars than we first thought.” commented Shadow. “For now, however how about we give you a name, shall we?”

Pausing for a few moments to think of a name, he remembered the name of a certain race creatures that supposedly lived in the frozen mountains beyond the Crystal Empire. The ice wolves, more commonly known as the Fenrir. He had always liked the name and it seemed to fit the young pup.

Nodding his head he looked to the pup, “How does Fenrir sound?” he asked.

“Fenrir! My name is Fenrir! Thank you master!” the newly named familiar yelled, jumping with joy.

“Ok. Ok. Calm down.” Shadow said, laughing at the pups’ antics. “Now that we know what to call you we can focus on helping you learn to control your magic, but before that I will need to get my strength back and find a place for us to stay too.”

“About that,” Twilight spoke up, stepping forward as she did so,” We were talking and we decided that it would be best for you, and now Fenrir as well, to stay with me and Spike at my castle while you recover. It’s not far from the hospital, so you won’t need to travel far for rehabilitation. Also. Candence will be staying there as well, in order to watch over you.”

Turning his head toward Twilight, he gave her a calculating look that made fidget. “I’m not entirely sure if I can trust you or your friends given how most of you reacted toward my relationship with Chrysalis. However, my sister and Ms. Fluttershy seem to care and trust you greatly, so I am willing to take a chance and be in your care.”

While some flinched at his words while others hung their heads in renewed shame, it was Shining Armor that stepped up and spoke up for them. “Shadow, I speak for everypony when I say that we are truly sorry for how we reacted towards you when you told us about your relationship with Chrysalis. We shouldn’t have reacted the way we did. However, you need to understand that our experience with her has only been negative. To us she is an enemy that tried to conquer Equestria and the Crystal Empire on more than one occasion.”

“I understand that. However, it has never been a practice of either Equestria nor the Empire to punish ponies for mere association. Or has that changed in the past thousand years?” Shadow replied, turning his head to look at Celestia and Luna, who only shook their heads at his question. Nodding at their silent answer he looked back at Shining Armor,” You see her as your enemy, fine. But that does not mean that I’m your enemy too just because of my relationship with her. Furthermore, I have explained as to why she might of done what she did.”

“Which we are currently trying to corroborate with Thorax as we speak. Celestia stepped in, seeing the shame and guilt in Shining and the others’ faces.” He hasn’t responded to our message yet, however. In the meantime, we will focus on your recovery. Also, you don’t have to worry about any hospital bill. Luna and I are personally paying for your medical treatments.”

Turning to Twilight and the rest of her friends, she suggested that they leave for the day while she, Luna, and Candice, talked to both Shadow and the doctors about what the plans for him were.