• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 952 Views, 43 Comments

A Story About Bubbles - creation62



Dinky finally asks about her mothers cutie-mark. Derpy sighs, prepares, and tells her story...

  • ...
1
 43
 952

The Eyes. The Eyyyyyyesss

"So..." Dinky looked a little bit shocked. Derpy wasn't quite sure what to say. "... What happened next?"

"Well, i had to go job hunting."

"JOB HUNTING?" Dinky's face exploded into smiles. "What is THAT? Did you hit postal offices with pies?"

"Heh. No, Job hunting is just finding a job. Normally, ponies just get a job relating to their cutie mark, but..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do you mean, no spa will hire you?" Mystic Guard had a look on his face like he'd just heard he himself had been fired. He and Ditzy were sitting at a café near the castle grounds.

"It means that all the spas believe that my new eyes have decreased my dexterity permanently." Derpy has absent-mindedly nosing her salad; she wasn't sure what to do. She remembered when she had first learned about her disability.

It took her 3 days to get out of the hospital. after the second day, they carefully removed her bandages, and she saw Mystic for the first time. He was a unicorn, and the least regal looking guard she had ever seen. His stance had a slouch. When he wasn't slouching, he was leaning, and when he wasn't leaning, he sat down. It didn't matter though; His coat was a beautiful dark blue with a complementing purple mane. His eyes were a sizzling red.

He was kind enough. Pulling a few strings, he managed to secure Ditzy a room in the castle until she had found more permanent residence.

The problem was finding the residence.

Ditzy's eyes had... changed.



When the bandages were removed, she noticed a slight shift in her vision immediately. her nose was more prominent... she could see the entire thing without even thinking about it. Mystic couldn't help but let out a small sigh. "Your eyes... they're uh... they're pointing towards your nose."

Ditzy called... well, shrieked, for a mirror. Mystic calmed her down. "I have one... i knew you would want to see."

Her eyes were pointed at her nose... one pointing up, one pointing down. It was a creepy effect. After a few eye exams, her doctor filled her in.

"It is simply astounding!" He looked at his various charts. "Yes, yes, you have lost some peripheral vision..." He flipped a page. "Oh. A lot of peripheral vision."

Ditzy was confused. "Uh... Peripheral vision is...?"

The doctor looked up, a slightly suprised look on his face. "What? Oh! I'm sorry. That's a knew term. It means how much you can see around you." He looked back at his chart. "Normal horse peripheral vision is 350 degrees, but yours has been reduced to about 180 degrees. This means your ability to look behind you has been heavily modified. However, while you normally have a 100 degree peripheral vision for looking vertically, you can now see 200 degrees, meaning that your actually very well suited for flying as you can much more easily see things below and above you."

"Uh... could you speak pony?"

The doctor moved his hoof in-between his eyeballs with a loud smack. "... You can't see as much left and right, you can see more up and down. Better?"

"Much bet-... Wait a minute. So... I can no longer see behind me?"

"You have to turn around. I'm sorry Ditzy, but in purely medical terms, you are disabled."



"Since i'm disabled, none of the spas will hire me. They think i'll just mess everything up and that my eyes will scare away customers." Ditzy was nearing depression. "What can i do when i cant do my cutie mark?"

"Well... you could look around. I'm sure there are plenty of jobs out there that will accept disabled ponies!"

"No, Mystic. The problem isn't finding a job that will accept a disabled pony..." Ditzy sighed. Realizing how weak she looked, she stared directly into Mystics eyes. The red burned fiercely. "The problem is finding a job that doesn't need a cutie-mark."

Ditzy at least tried. She searched long and hard. She looked at bakeries, but they said, "No, we cannot have any clumsiness in the kitchen." She looked at Restaurants, but they said, "No, you must be as graceful as a summer breeze." She even looked at being a garbage collector, but they said, "No. Yeh aren't strong enough kid. *Ptooie. Bing!*" Ditzy walked away... Now fully depressed, she tuned out the world, only slightly aware of some yelling involving spit and a mailbox or something. That's when it hit her. The one profession she hadn't tried. The one profession she was too scared to think of. The profession where very few of her dreams would come true.

"MAIL!"

"WHAT? YEAH, IT WAS FINE UNTIL THIS YOUNG HOOLIGAN SPIT IN IT. YOU WORK AT THE POST OFFICE?"

Ditzy flew long and hard, over the streets, over the houses, over someone yelling about mail. She realized she was flying in circles, and corrected her course. It took her 2 minutes to get to the post office. She entered it with a loud bang, and the bored Stallion behind the counter looked up in shock. "Uh... can i help you?"

"I would like a job!"

The stallion, called Paper Mache, didn't know how to react. "Wait, you actually want to work at the post office?"

Ditzy was concerned. The stallion looked surprised. What could possibly be worrying him? "What, people don't want to?" The leaning stack of boxes she may have plowed into (but will deny doing so to this day) fell around her.

Mache groaned. Then he looked at her flank. "Wait. Uh... Your cutie-mark is... What's your cutie-mark?"

"Doesn't matter, am i hired?"

"Uh... do you have a resum-... Wait a second. Are you Ditzy Doo? The spa bather?" Mache's face lit up like a... light.

"...yes?"

"I ate one of your muffins! They were delicious!" Ah! A past customer!

"Thanks!... So am i hired?"

"Uh... hm. I actually think i have your resume here. A unicorn dropped it off. Name was Mystical or something... A-ha! Here we go."

"And...?" Ditzy waited with hopeful ears and vibrating hooves.

"Wait. Is this peripheral vision thing true?"

And that's it. Chance blown. She would wonder why that was on her resume later, just better get out of the building. "Oh, uh... yeah... i am so sorry about that, its jus-"

"THATS AMAZING! We start training tommorrow! Bring muffins!"